December 12, 2018, 09:49:53 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: My kingdom for a lentil  (Read 3164 times)

Offline Heloisestankard

• Adventurer
My kingdom for a lentil
« on: May 12, 2011, 10:26:09 AM »
Hi, does anyone know of anywhere that sells lentils/chickpeas/split peas online? (and could you give the link??) I'm thinking of starting to bring in my own food to my elementary school for lunch, as all this sticky white rice leaves me feeling starving after a few hours. And contrary to what all Koreans seem to believe, is rice really that good for you?

Online confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
Re: My kingdom for a lentil
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 10:28:55 AM »
Don't know online but International Supermarket in Itaewon sells them.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline anna.rpo

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 10:35:31 AM »
If you really have to order them online, Underground Grocers have chick peas and beans and stuff, their postage is super fast and cheap (3K won for a HUGE box).

Otherwise just do a bit of hunting at Home Plus, E Mart etc, or if there's a market in town. I buy a lot of red beans from the ajummas at the market and they're dirt cheap, but I've also found beans and chick peas in the 'organics' or 'grains' part of the supermarket.

Second the recommendation for the International Supermarket, they are awesome! 
http://karoritokorea.blogspot.com/

Use code WAK323 for iherb, up to $10 off your first order. You know you want to.

Offline Heloisestankard

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 10:43:47 AM »
Don't know online but International Supermarket in Itaewon sells them.
Yeah I had to go up from Seoul from Jeju for the EPIK Orientation last month. Brought back a couple bags, but they are no match for my prolific curry and soup making!

Offline bmsteacher

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 10:51:29 AM »
Hi, does anyone know of anywhere that sells lentils/chickpeas/split peas online? (and could you give the link??) I'm thinking of starting to bring in my own food to my elementary school for lunch, as all this sticky white rice leaves me feeling starving after a few hours. And contrary to what all Koreans seem to believe, is rice really that good for you?

Check out this thread; it should help in your quest for lentils.  Good luck!

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,3605.0/topicseen.html

Offline jgroh

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 10:54:33 AM »
Brown rice is really good for you, white rice is not. Whole grain bread is really good for you, white bread is not. The nutrients have been taken out to make it sweeter... thus it's just sugar and carbs.

You can get lentils from the Foreign Food Market in Itaewon. Personally, I get mine from the Foreign Food street in Ansan at Ansan Station. Also, It's highly likely you can get them on gmarket.co.kr

Offline Sara

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 01:09:27 PM »
I knew I saw this thread somewhere....

I just got a great deal on 10 kg of brown rice with lentils on Gmarket - 23,000 won
http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_goods/goods.asp?goodscode=155180529

Offline Rutherford

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 01:16:55 PM »
http://goldriver.cn/shopuser/index.html

This was recommended to me by an Indian postdoc.  I've never ordered from the site.

The South Asian stores in Sasang, Busan stock most of these items.

Offline LoloRising

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 01:29:14 PM »
www.nicemarket.net

lentils, brown rice, chickpeas, mung beans plus loads of other stuff. People I've known have ordered from it and it's always been good!

Offline ADB123

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 02:37:36 PM »
Where in Korea are you living? Are you far from Daegu? The Daegu Bukbu(north) Bus terminal has a few foreign shops very close by where they sell lentils and kidney beans! Also in Itaewon, Seoul there is a foreign mart that sells lentils and all that good stuff.

Ditch the school lunchs! I did this year and it was a wise decision for me. The white rice bloated me and I was starving at my desk about two hours after lunch.

Offline blkfaephoenix

• Waygookin
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 07:30:29 AM »
My local Kim's Club (Ilsan) has chickpeas, lentils, kidney beans, navy beans, and black beans (all canned) - maybe try one in your area to see if they stock them now?

Offline odie

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 09:00:14 AM »
iherb.com They sell the Red Mill lentils that you find in health food stores in the U.S.
Seoul.AngloINFO.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose.