October 22, 2018, 04:40:42 PM

Author Topic: How to afford going to college out of state?  (Read 470 times)

Offline minji94

• Adventurer
How to afford going to college out of state?
« on: May 18, 2018, 04:51:02 PM »
So I'm thinking about leaving Korea to study for an MA TESOL, but kind of don't want to return to my boring hometown. However, I know that going to college out of state would be very hard, especially the state I'm interested in (CA)! I know that taking another student loan is an option... and at least I have a 509 account to pay off  $7000 of the tuition, but I'd rather not add too much to my mountain of debt. I guess my biggest concern is affording apartment rent. Has anyone been able to pull off going to school out of state by working a part time..? Are English teaching tutoring jobs hard to come by? I guess waitressing would be another option

donovan

Re: How to afford going to college out of state?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 05:45:40 PM »
My coworker is currently teaching and working on his MA in TESOL online.

You could always go back for a couple years and and work while you establish residency before starting school.  Unemployment is at 3.9% right now. Iím sure you could find something worth your time~

Offline minji94

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 07:10:38 PM »
My coworker is currently teaching and working on his MA in TESOL online.

You could always go back for a couple years and and work while you establish residency before starting school.  Unemployment is at 3.9% right now. Iím sure you could find something worth your time~
Hm yes, that is something else to consider... only problem is trying to get hired non-locally, all I have is a Psych degree and my Korean teaching experience  :undecided:

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 11:09:50 PM »
So I'm thinking about leaving Korea to study for an MA TESOL, but kind of don't want to return to my boring hometown. However, I know that going to college out of state would be very hard, especially the state I'm interested in (CA)! I know that taking another student loan is an option... and at least I have a 509 account to pay off  $7000 of the tuition, but I'd rather not add too much to my mountain of debt. I guess my biggest concern is affording apartment rent. Has anyone been able to pull off going to school out of state by working a part time..? Are English teaching tutoring jobs hard to come by? I guess waitressing would be another option
Get a scholarship or a TA position.

MA TESOL is probably not worth the effort IMO. You can do a mail-order one and get the same benefits if you want to teach overseas.  You'll probably need a PhD to teach at a college in the US on more than an adjunct basis. If you plan on teaching in a US public school, first consider the salary and conditions. Teachers in the US aren't going on strike for the heck of it.

Offline Foreverparadise

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 03:37:47 AM »
If you want to study out of state, come to Canada because the
tuition is cheaper. You can get hte cheapest tuition if you
can get in to McGill Univeristy in Montreal. Good Luck!

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 07:12:24 AM »
Some states charge the same for MA programs regardless of residency for us citizens.

Offline CDW

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 07:31:21 AM »
If you want to study out of state, come to Canada because the
tuition is cheaper. You can get hte cheapest tuition if you
can get in to McGill Univeristy in Montreal. Good Luck!
And pay as much as $46,220 annually in education costs if you're not Canadian. Great advice.
http://www.mcgill.ca/undergraduate-admissions/yearly-costs

Offline fas6pa

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 01:04:21 PM »

I'm doing my MA at the University of Arizona and if you get it it's fully paid (gotta teach freshman comp courses though).

Offline Paintedwhales

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 06:51:16 AM »
Hey there, I moved back from Korea at the end of February this year and after spending a few months in my hometown, moved to CA because I'm starting school in the fall to get my MA. I'm on the central coast right now and housing is definitely expensive but I'm lucky that I have my spouse with me who is working full time and I got a part time job as soon as I could once we got out here. Minimum wage is a little higher here though too (it's $11/hour). Also, a lot of people around here rent out rooms in their houses, especially to students, so that's cheaper than getting a whole apartment by yourself. If you're really interested in CA, look into it!