November 18, 2018, 09:13:50 AM

Author Topic: Car import charges: Are they accurate?  (Read 636 times)

Online Periwinkle

• Veteran
Car import charges: Are they accurate?
« on: May 18, 2018, 03:12:05 PM »
I am having a car imported:

I was given the information below from an intermediary (eliminating cost of  #6).  Can anyone (who has been through this process) verify that this is accurate?  If not, can you detail appropriate steps to bring my car home.  Maybe costs are accurate but seems excessive to me esp the 790,000 w. Is there no way around any of these charges (except #5 &6)??  If you have any contact info for vendors, please share!  Thanks a bunch.

See below:

Refer to the attached Commercial Invoice/Packing List for your car.

Also, Here are Charges at Destination.

1) Local Port Charge at Pyungtaek : KRW 250,000

2) Trucking Cost from Pyungtaek Port to W/H in Busan : KRW 790,000 ((via Car-Carrying Truck)

*** For Car Inspection, you car should be moved to W/H designated by Customs Authority.

There is No other option.

3) W/H cost : At Cost (approximately, KRW 200,000~250,000, but it is subject to change)

4) Car Inspection & Customs Clearance Fee : KRW 120,000~KRW 150,000

5) Trucking Cost from W/H in Busan to your address :  KRW 450,000 (by car-carrying truck)

6) Handling Charge : KRW 100,000

7) Remarks : Other cost (if any) : At Cost

Finally, before driving your car, you should register your car.

Car-Registration is 100% up to you.

For registration, you need import License. I will send it to you after customs clearance.

For Detail for registration, please contact DMV.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 03:16:54 PM by Periwinkle »

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
Re: Car import charges: Are they accurate?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 05:26:45 PM »
Importing a car plus the one or two thousand shipping fee doesn't seem worth it, plus the price of the car.  You can probably just buy a better one here. 

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 08:26:05 AM »
Koreans import cars from the US because they save maybe $2000 to $5000 and get a car with better safety features and steel that won't rust all over after 5 years.

Meanwhile Americans are BANNED from importing any cars themselves unless they are over 25 years old or something like that. Big car brands have a monopoly on imports.

Importing cars is a big thing around the world. Beat up old cars and engines often end up in Saudi Arabia or Africa. In New Zealand people will ship over used cars directly from Japan. I was just in Bermuda and like half the cars are beat up old US cars with left hand drive, even though the roads are drive on the left.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 11:43:57 AM »
What are you trying to bring in?

You can get a decent used car here for a few thousand USD, and by "decent", I don't mean a beater.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 12:19:33 PM »
What are you trying to bring in?

You can get a decent used car here for a few thousand USD, and by "decent", I don't mean a beater.

Truth. I'd say the price range of a standard car with lowish mileage is like $4000 to $6000. Same car would probably  be like $10,000 in the US. The Korean used car market is pretty great for prices.

Offline pkjh

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 02:15:59 PM »
Koreans import cars from the US because they save maybe $2000 to $5000 and get a car with better safety features and steel that won't rust all over after 5 years.
Lots of cars here are over 5 years old, with little rust, mine included. As for safety, not sure, haven't really 'tested' that part out yet...

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 11:23:55 PM »
Lots of cars here are over 5 years old, with little rust, mine included.

Just wait. It will happen one day.

Offline pkjh

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 11:35:53 PM »
Lots of cars here are over 5 years old, with little rust, mine included.

Just wait. It will happen one day.
It's a 15 year old car, bought it a few years ago. Has exceeded my expectations.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 07:31:06 AM »

I think this is obsolete info, but I have heard it repeated.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 08:31:19 AM »
Korean cars don't rust too bad due to the mild winters here and not a lot of road salt used.  In Canada, most will rust out after 10 to 12ish years.  A few may last longer if you really baby them and coat the underside and do other things.  Most folks don't think of it though.  I bought a car at about 6 years of age for 4 million and have had it for 6 years.  Last year, I had to get some rust patched up and fixed that was creeping in on the rocker panels under the doors on both side.  But the underside itself is still fine, though I had the place spray paint some primer and rust paint underneath in places at the same time I got the patching and repainting done there.  I also had to get a partial rebuild of the transmission and decent quality tires.  It was a pricey year.  Along with other work, I spent 2 million on her in 2017.  But I can keep driving it for another few years if I wish.  So, a pretty good deal. 

In Canada or America, used cars will cost more and not last as long.  Of course the US is blessed with some parts that don't need as much road salt in winter, which is the biggest culprit for rust.  I had a Joong go cha but now at 12 years of age, it should be called a ddong cha?  Still in good shape though.  My dad always said, drive a car until it won't drive anymore.  So, that's my plan and I'm sticking to it.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 12:32:16 PM »
Modern cars can run for 200,000+ miles if they're properly maintained. Hell, plenty of Japanese cars can do that mileage with only minimal maintenance.

These days, it's more a matter of deciding whether you want to keep running a car when the bills get too high and your vehicle's technology (and fuel economy) gets further and further behind modern standards.

Personally, I like older cars. The light steering found is most newer cars is for chicks.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 12:59:41 PM »
Modern cars can run for 200,000+ miles if they're properly maintained. Hell, plenty of Japanese cars can do that mileage with only minimal maintenance.

These days, it's more a matter of deciding whether you want to keep running a car when the bills get too high and your vehicle's technology (and fuel economy) gets further and further behind modern standards.

Personally, I like older cars. The light steering found is most newer cars is for chicks.

That's right.  Many of the Japanese ones and even better built North American cars can get up to 250,000 to 300,000 km.  It's just the rust in colder climates that cause cars to get written off. 

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 02:11:46 PM »

That's right.  Many of the Japanese ones and even better built North American cars can get up to 250,000 to 300,000 km.  It's just the rust in colder climates that cause cars to get written off.
I have retired a 2000 Neon with 320 000 km on it due to eastern Canadian rust; and gave away a 2005 Caravan with 360 000 km that was still serviceable.

Maintenance is the key.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 06:20:17 PM »
Even rust can be dealt with if you're willing to spend the cash or deal with it as soon as it starts to develop. Last winter, I bought a ten year old car that has been really well maintained, although I paid above market value due to all of the work that had been done to it. Underneath, it barely looks corroded at all. There are a couple of paint bubbles on the hood that need taking care of and some other imperfections in the paint, but overall the condition is excellent. It was originally an expensive enthusiast car, so I doubt that a Morning or a Matiz would be in the same condition, but old cars can be in excellent structural condition even into their second decade.

Buy a nice older car in Korea. Don't bother importing.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 12:14:40 PM »
Even rust can be dealt with if you're willing to spend the cash or deal with it as soon as it starts to develop. Last winter, I bought a ten year old car that has been really well maintained, although I paid above market value due to all of the work that had been done to it. Underneath, it barely looks corroded at all. There are a couple of paint bubbles on the hood that need taking care of and some other imperfections in the paint, but overall the condition is excellent. It was originally an expensive enthusiast car, so I doubt that a Morning or a Matiz would be in the same condition, but old cars can be in excellent structural condition even into their second decade.

Buy a nice older car in Korea. Don't bother importing.

Korean cars hold up well due to the lack of road salt.  Though it has been used more frequently than in the past.  Just fix problems as they arise like I did under the door.  My car is now over 12 years old.  In Canada, a car is mostly getting ready to be written off due to the rust while the engine is still fine.