December 18, 2018, 06:24:54 PM

Author Topic: English... Not very important?  (Read 3024 times)

Online Kayos

• Expert Waygook
Re: English... Not very important?
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2018, 08:40:07 AM »
the books teach 'phrases' rather than grammatical points, and often the phrases are unusual or strange.

That's too bad...

I think, sometimes the phrases can be good.
Based on the books I'm using, it's either: The phrase is good and useful, but the follow up is strange. or it's the reverse haha. Making examples for speaking practice can be a nightmare a lot of times because 1 half is good, while the other is strange. As we use the textbook stuff for exams, I can't deviate to make it better either :\
Though, I'm sure like most, my roll is mostly speaking practice.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2018, 08:51:51 AM »
most normal textbooks would focus on a grammatical point e.g. present simple and introduce vocabulary using that. e.g i brush my teeth, i wash my hands, i go to sleep, i ride my bike

it's then easy to make controlled practices and production activities so students can formulate their own sentences. this language is used in a natural context so students can see when and where to use it i.e. daily routines

but, rather, in korean textbooks, using kayos' examples of 'May I try some?', students learn that singular question and the singular 'answer' or 'Sure, go ahead'. it's so specific and useless

it's not bad to learn functional language but it hardly provides the building blocks needed to communicate. most of my 6th grade students don't even know what a verb is..

Online Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2018, 09:11:21 AM »
most normal textbooks would focus on a grammatical point e.g. present simple and introduce vocabulary using that. e.g i brush my teeth, i wash my hands, i go to sleep, i ride my bike

it's then easy to make controlled practices and production activities so students can formulate their own sentences. this language is used in a natural context so students can see when and where to use it i.e. daily routines

but, rather, in korean textbooks, using kayos' examples of 'May I try some?', students learn that singular question and the singular 'answer' or 'Sure, go ahead'. it's so specific and useless

it's not bad to learn functional language but it hardly provides the building blocks needed to communicate. most of my 6th grade students don't even know what a verb is..

Ahh, I think my textbooks are mostly like normal ones then. At least my new grade 1 textbook feels like it.
My grade 2 - 3 MS ones seem to be about 50/50 haha. 1 lesson will have good normal stuff. Then lesson 2 will be something weird. The weird ones will be like what you mentioned, there might only be a singular answer. The good / normal stuff, usually allows me to give them some variety.

Though, usually my co-teacher does the grammar practice with the students, and I just focus on speaking and listening when using the grammar points of the lesson. I'm always a bit behind my co-teacher, as she wants to go over the grammar points before they start speaking practice with me.

At one of my travel schools though, they use a really terrible textbook. My co-T there doesn't even show up to class, so a lot of the times, I struggle teaching that textbook. Plus the CD stuff is all in Korean, so I struggle navigating it haha.

Online sh9wntm

• Veteran
Re: English... Not very important? *Update*
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2018, 10:07:52 AM »
So my middle schools are taking their speaking tests soon. I spoke to my co-teacher and he told me the speaking test is only 10% of their total grade. 90% is a other tests. 0% is participation. I also can't "fail" students, the lowest score I can give is a 7/10 because they don't want the parents to be upset. And people wonder why middle school boys don't take English seriously and why most Koreans are inept at English. What a joke. You just know somewhere down the line, a NET failed a student and a parent went off on the school about some dirty Waygook messing up their child's education.

I have a friend who owns a Hagwon and he's told me that the most useful thing for the students is more speaking, but the parents want him to focus solely on reading. Not to sound nihilistic, but this job has no future. I'm sure Hagwons will still exist, but I wouldn't be shocked if EPIK is phased away in the near future. How do any career teachers stay here?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 10:13:27 AM by sh9wntm »

Online theman3285

• Super Waygook
Re: English... Not very important? *Update*
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2018, 02:25:00 PM »
So my middle schools are taking their speaking tests soon. I spoke to my co-teacher and he told me the speaking test is only 10% of their total grade. 90% is a other tests. 0% is participation. I also can't "fail" students, the lowest score I can give is a 7/10 because they don't want the parents to be upset.
I just wrapped up the speaking tests at my middle school. 7/10 baseline???! I'm gonna have a lot of pissed off parents on my hands haha

Online mikeycknowsrnb

• Adventurer
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2018, 05:51:48 PM »
Question to my Epik Seniors. Does teaching middle school get better? I only decided to resign because I love my city and got into a relationship. If it wasn't for those things, I'd definitely go home because my experience is kind of bleh. My 1st and 2nd graders are pretty good but I couldn't get through to my 3rd graders at all this year. They weren't rude to me directly but I just couldn't get them to participate in class. Even now as we watch a movie, most of them sleep or talk through it.

My hope is that my good relationship with 1st and 2nd grade will transfer into next year and I'll have a much better experience overall. What was your exp? Have good students become terrible over winter break? Will I regret staying another term?

Online Orkblut

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2018, 02:54:44 AM »
Question to my Epik Seniors. Does teaching middle school get better? I only decided to resign because I love my city and got into a relationship. If it wasn't for those things, I'd definitely go home because my experience is kind of bleh. My 1st and 2nd graders are pretty good but I couldn't get through to my 3rd graders at all this year. They weren't rude to me directly but I just couldn't get them to participate in class. Even now as we watch a movie, most of them sleep or talk through it.

My hope is that my good relationship with 1st and 2nd grade will transfer into next year and I'll have a much better experience overall. What was your exp? Have good students become terrible over winter break? Will I regret staying another term?

Your post makes zero sense. Did you resign or did you stay?

Online theman3285

• Super Waygook
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2018, 08:16:26 AM »

Your post makes zero sense. Did you resign or did you stay?
He meant re-sign, lol. Much more confusing, I think, is that he’d drop his question in the middle of an unrelated thread.

Online Orkblut

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2018, 02:11:39 PM »
Yes, he certainly seems like a confused individual. I hope it all works out for him, and that he eventually learns how to correctly use the language that he is teaching.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2018, 09:29:32 PM »
The lack of knowledge on resign vs. re-sign DRIVES ME UP THE BLOODY WALL.

They are literal opposites.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2018, 08:24:23 AM »

It takes an extra 1.367 seconds to add the - though!
Ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2018, 09:09:51 AM »

Whereas "renew" actually has one fewer keystroke. Why hasn't that caught on yet?

Online Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2018, 09:13:59 AM »

Whereas "renew" actually has one fewer keystroke. Why hasn't that caught on yet?

Top notch, efficient thinking, Mister Tim! :D

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2018, 10:40:42 AM »

True. I'm going to start using that word every chance I get. Let's see if that helps.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2018, 01:37:14 PM »

True. I'm going to start using that word every chance I get. Let's see if that helps.

Also, if it takes anyone 1.367 seconds to add one extra keystroke, hey or she probably should work on their typing skills before renewing anything, anyways.

Online theman3285

• Super Waygook
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2018, 02:25:45 PM »
hey or she probably should work on their typing skills before renewing anything, anyways.
Trust you'll do the same;)

Online SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2018, 02:56:57 PM »

agreed, but "renew" is the act of "replenishing" or to "resume" or "repeat.  To "reaffirm" or "restore."

To "re-sign" is to "sign a document"   So technically they're two different things. 

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2018, 03:13:17 PM »
c&p'd from the top result on google

1. Definitions
What is the difference between a contract extension and a contract renewal?

Contract extension: an existing contract is continued for a period of time. Often, this will occur via the extension options in the contract. At the time a contract is extended, other terms might also be varied (such as pricing). 

Contract renewal: an existing contract ends—by, for example, expiring—and the parties agree to enter into a new contract (usually for the same or very similar services).

Offline AMDC

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2018, 08:02:35 AM »
Arguing over word definitions... THIS is what I hope to see when I log onto an English teaching forum  ;D

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2018, 10:25:59 AM »

agreed, but "renew" is the act of "replenishing" or to "resume" or "repeat.  To "reaffirm" or "restore."

To "re-sign" is to "sign a document"   So technically they're two different things.

It can also mean to repeat or reestablish, which is what happens when you re-sign a contract. Renewal is the result of re-signing. There is no functional difference between saying "I re-signed for another year" and "I renewed for another year."