August 17, 2018, 05:16:02 AM

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018

Author Topic: Your "go to" dinner (with recipe) for romantic dates!  (Read 1668 times)

Offline dippedinblush

• Veteran
Re: Your "go to" dinner (with recipe) for romantic dates!
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2018, 10:13:34 PM »

Offline sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2018, 10:59:58 PM »
Fajitas are good, use pork or chicken, and buy the spice mix from homeplus.  Play around with the garnish.  fingery food is always a winner as it makes the meal more casual, and the assembly means people can dress the food to their liking. 

Chocolate meringue pie for dessert is a winner and easy to make.

How do you make it?

This recipe got me a wife!!!

Chocolate Meringue Pie
    225gr / 8oz chocolate digestives
    50gr / 1 oz / 4tbsp butter
    FILLING:
    3 egg yolks
    50gr / 1 oz / 3 tbsp caster sugar 
    4 tbsp corn flour
    600ml / 1pt /2 cups milk
    100gr / 3 oz dark chocolate
    MERINGUE;
    2 egg whites
    100gr / 3 oz / 7 tbsp caster sugar
    tsp vanilla flavouring
    METHOD
    1 Place digestive biscuits in the plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin.  Pour into a
    mixing bowl, melt the butter and stir it into the biscuit crumbs until well mixed. Press
    the biscuit mixture into the base and up the sides of a 23cm / 9in flan tin or dish. 
    2. To make the filling beat the egg yolks, caster sugar and corn flour in a large
    bowl until they form a smooth paste. Adding a little of the milk if necessary. 
    Heat milk until almost boiling and then slowly pour it onto the egg mixture,
    whisking well.
    3. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook gently, whisking constantly until
    it thickens.  Remove from heat.  Whisk in melted chocolate, then pour it onto
    the biscuit base.
    4.  To make the meringue, whisk the egg whites in a large mixing bowl until standing
    in soft peaks.  Gradually whisk in 2/3 of sugar until mixture is stiff and glossy.  Fold
    in the remaining sugar and vanilla flavouring, spread meringue over the filling,
    swirling the surface with the back of a spoon to give it a nice finish.  Bake in centre of
    a pre-heated oven, 170deg c / 375f / gas 3, for 30 mins. Or until meringue is golden. 
    Serve hot or just warm.

Offline dippedinblush

• Veteran
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2018, 12:03:20 AM »
Fajitas are good, use pork or chicken, and buy the spice mix from homeplus.  Play around with the garnish.  fingery food is always a winner as it makes the meal more casual, and the assembly means people can dress the food to their liking. 

How do you make it?

Chocolate Meringue Pie
    FILLING:
    3 egg yolks
    4 tbsp corn flour
    600ml / 1pt /2 cups milk
    MERINGUE;
    2 egg whites
    tsp vanilla flavouring
    METHOD
    1 Place digestive biscuits in the plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin.  Pour into a
    mixing bowl, melt the butter and stir it into the biscuit crumbs until well mixed. Press
    the biscuit mixture into the base and up the sides of a 23cm / 9in flan tin or dish. 
    2. To make the filling beat the egg yolks, caster sugar and corn flour in a large
    whisking well.
    3. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook gently, whisking constantly until
    the biscuit base.
    4.  To make the meringue, whisk the egg whites in a large mixing bowl until standing
    in soft peaks.  Gradually whisk in 2/3 of sugar until mixture is stiff and glossy.  Fold
    in the remaining sugar and vanilla flavouring, spread meringue over the filling,
    swirling the surface with the back of a spoon to give it a nice finish.  Bake in centre of
    a pre-heated oven, 170deg c / 375f / gas 3, for 30 mins. Or until meringue is golden. 
    Serve hot or just warm.

That's genius!  I've been looking for a substitute for a graham cracker base!!! My gf will go crazy if I make this....corn flour meaning corn starch powder?  Does it have to be castor sugar?

Offline dippedinblush

• Veteran
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2018, 12:25:45 AM »
The first meal I cooked for my now-wife was a simple kimchi spaghetti pasta that she still remembers to this day.

Before Avec and ESL turtle jump in with their advice...

pfft, brah, wasson wid dis nicey nicey wid de buff ladeez?  You'z a'bit neeky?  fly, brah, fly! pick yo'self sum servo sushi and a stringer, blaze a phatty boom batty, get sum crunk on, ged it on wid sum flossing, diss de endz.  Y so dry, brah!  Get on it, y'all! Respectz!

Dave I'm sorry you didn't get a KJU expression. You were coming up in part deux.

As for the dinner well say no more fam. This is my go to set menu for first dates:

-La Nouille du Triomphe
A meal of pure bliss and flavor - a delicious plate of ramen noodles boiled in the purest of water. Noodles can be flavored with either chicken or beef seasoning.

-Le Repas du Fromage Dйlicieux
A mouthwatering bowl of easy mac cooked to perfection in a microwave. Served with a side of peanut M&Ms.

-Le Sandwich Rouge
A truly phenominal sandwich consisting of ketchup spread over a carefully microwaved piece of bread, and then topped with another piece of bread. Comes with a side of mayonnaise for dipping.

-Le Plat du Lait et de la Cйrйale
A satisfying end to your meal, this dessert consists of a bowl of fruit loops served with either skim or 2% milk. Milk can be substituted with water for those on a diet.

Thank me later.  :wink:
[/quote

What a flop.  It's not even funny, but I'm rooting for you!  I thought you (in my mind) were a meepmoop clone making a comeback as Avec....Nopemoop!

Offline sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2018, 12:46:41 AM »

How do you make it?

Chocolate Meringue Pie
    FILLING:
    3 egg yolks
    4 tbsp corn flour
    600ml / 1pt /2 cups milk
    MERINGUE;
    2 egg whites
    tsp vanilla flavouring
    METHOD
    whisking well.
    the biscuit base.
    Serve hot or just warm.

That's genius!  I've been looking for a substitute for a graham cracker base!!! My gf will go crazy if I make this....corn flour meaning corn starch powder?  Does it have to be castor sugar?

Corn flour is corn starch, and any white sugar will do.  It is best if you have it finished as you start to eat, and let it cool during your meal so that it is warm by the time dessert comes.

Offline chrisinkorea2011

• Veteran
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2018, 10:24:48 AM »
I grew up in the kitchen and always worked in restaurants so I had the chance to try, fail, and perfect (what I feel in perfect anyways lol) a variety of food.

Scallops are always a great appetizer or addition to a meal. Make sure you find an outside market to buy the large fresh ones (usually 5 for 10,000) and not the frozen BS you find at lotte or homeplus. For large ones, lightly salt just before frying 60 - 80 seconds on each side on a burning hot skillet. BAM!

Home made meatloaf always wins as long as you use bread crumbs and eggs to keep it moist. Ive tasted some crappy dry as the desert meatloaf here.

Tuna casserole is a winner as well!

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2018, 11:35:03 AM »
This is exactly the kind of mood I wanted. Decadent,  sexy and classy.  Thank you so much!  You seemed to know what I was going for.  How the hell do you buy truffles in Korea?  As well as get good quality oysters to slurp?

While a bit overpriced, I'm love Laderach's Tea chocolates and I buy them at the Seoul Finance Center store. If I'm doing a romantic dinner, I'll pick up a few more varieties there when I buy my tea chocolates. However, I tend to dedicate my "sin" budget to alcohol rather than chocolate, so I just keep a box of random modestly upscale chocolates at my desk from whatever I happen upon in any upscale department store when I need to replenish.

This looks like a nice place to start.
http://damecacao.com/eat-chocolate-seoul/

As for oysters, I eat mine out as I tend to shuck myself more often than the oyster. I actually never had them as part of a romantic meal prepared by myself, but they'd be great if I was more confident in my ability to make sure they were fresh and to not take off part of my finger while shucking.

Anyways, I'd imagine you'd find good ones at Noryangjin fish market.

Hope that helps and everything goes well!

Offline ESLTurtle

• Veteran
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2018, 01:42:35 PM »
My go to dinner is "jang-oh", fresh water eel. For all my fellow 'Mericans that be smashin' some nice oysters, ya'll know what I be talking about..  8) :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P 'MERICA  8)