May 22, 2018, 12:43:29 AM

Author Topic: Your "go to" dinner (with recipe) for romantic dates!  (Read 1279 times)

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
Re: Your "go to" dinner (with recipe) for romantic dates!
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2018, 08:59:26 PM »
Fajitas are good, use pork or chicken, and buy the spice mix from homeplus.  Play around with the garnish.  fingery food is always a winner as it makes the meal more casual, and the assembly means people can dress the food to their liking. 

Chocolate meringue pie for dessert is a winner and easy to make.

Online donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2018, 09:24:33 PM »
-Le Sandwich Rouge
A truly phenominal sandwich consisting of ketchup spread over a carefully microwaved piece of bread, and then topped with another piece of bread. Comes with a side of mayonnaise for dipping.

Sensing French and more than 150 characters, I didn’t actually read this until now. The bolded part: nice touch.

As for the diet milk, I believe that was lifted straight from BCS’s life hacks (#17, by my gross approximation), although you recommend it for the waistline whereas he seemed more concerned with his pocketbook.

Offline fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2018, 07:09:55 AM »
 Go to the seaside on a sunny day.  Have Chogai Gui( barbequed sea shells overlooking the beach. You are so close you can quite literally toss the shells back into the sea.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2018, 07:33:32 AM »
Go to the seaside on a sunny day.  Have Chogai Gui( barbequed sea shells overlooking the beach. You are so close you can quite literally toss the shells back into the sea.

초가이?

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2018, 07:38:17 AM »

초가이?

He's thinking of 좋게이, no?

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 07:53:58 AM »

초가이?

He probs meant 좆개 (dog dick)

aka the secret ingredient in grandma's mash-ee-neun boshintang!

Online donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2018, 07:59:26 AM »

초가이?

He probs meant 좆개 (dog dick)

aka the secret ingredient in grandma's mash-ee-neun boshintang!

팥빙수?

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2018, 11:09:24 AM »

팥빙수?

I definitely recommend wooing your date with a rendition of this classic track at the no-ray-bung  8)

Online donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2018, 11:21:18 AM »

팥빙수?

I definitely recommend wooing your date with a rendition of this classic track at the no-ray-bung  8)

(url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF8QNHhXS1w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF8QNHhXS1w[/url)

싸랑 해 싸랑 해~!

**edited for inclusiveness**
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 11:38:57 AM by donovan »

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2018, 11:22:57 AM »
- .... .. ... / .. ... / -... --- .-. .. -. --.!

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2018, 11:28:31 AM »
- .... .. ... / .. ... / -... --- .-. .. -. --.!

-. ---  --- -. .  -.-. .- .-. . ...!  :smiley:

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2018, 11:32:28 AM »
...-- -.... -ииии- ..--- ....- -ииии- ...-- -....

Offline hangook77

• Super Waygook
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2018, 11:40:39 AM »
I introduced good old fashioned maritime food.  Steak, mashed potatoes with butter, carrots, and a poorly made attempt at gravy.  Needless to say these two K chicks I cooked for found it a bit heavy.  But, they weren't a date or anything.  Just some K co-teachers back in the day.  Usually I just eat out if we go out somewhere. 

Offline dippedinblush

• Adventurer
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2018, 09:10:18 PM »
I am truly thankful to all the romantics out there who posted honestly to my plea.  I appreciate it so much. (You don't understand how much I've been fretting over this).

This is the first time I've ever cooked for my girlfriend and wish to make it special and sensual without it being too cliche.

Tell me what you think: 

So far Mr. D's advice topped what I want.  Everything else is delicious too.  Especially the Greek food idea.

So I think to start:

A great bottle of champagne and some caviar and smoked salmon with cream cheese on fancy crackers.  I read somewhere you should eat caviar with cold as ice vodka, but I think we would be passed out by the main course. 

Then a tomato salad!! With some pork medalions!! And to fulfill the pasta quotient (a light one) some spaghetti aioli (i don't know if I'll make that) and grilled asparagus.

I don't know about dessert.  Maybe I'll buy it.

Suggestions still welcome!!

« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:46:57 PM by dippedinblush »

Offline dippedinblush

• Adventurer
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2018, 09:15:54 PM »
And the minute I saw oysters and champagne on this thread I knew that that caricature of a sophisticated Boston Brahmin was not going to disappoint. From his rigid dress code to cosmopolitan palate this guy is the gift that keeps on giving.  Champagne paired with a meal?  How Kardashian.  I'm looking forward to a post where someone asks for tips on a nice beach destination and we get to here about Darts foray to a nameless beach only accessible by periodic mail boat (if you've managed to charm the locals) off the Sardinian Coast.
The OP asked for a romantic meal to share with her girlfriend.

It sounds to me like she wants to do something really nice, and express her love through preparing something, not impress her. And to maybe indulge together. Maybe set the mood. I personally love champagne and any excuse to break it out is wonderful. Who cares what other people think? If you like champagne, have some champagne. Many people feel the same way. Also, as I said, if you are an oyster lover, live oysters are the greatest treat and you're always happy. Oysters also require no cooking. Soba is incredibly easy to prepare, as are pork tenderloin medallions.

Not only that, as a course meal, all the dishes really work well together. From the saltiness and sourness (lemon) of the oysters to the acidic tartness of tomatoes to the umami of soba and pork to the sweetness of strawberries and sweetness and slight bitterness of truffles. Besides, oysters are commonly linked to, uh, romanticism, as are of course chocolates and strawberries. The meal can be quite visually appealing, yet is very easy to prepare while still showing enough effort. It's also rather affordable if you forego champagne and truffles (which I wouldn't), yet still has an upscale appearance. Also, the various parts of the meal allow for various moods.

Also, another part is that the meal is pretty guilt free. "I'm going to have to exercise for 2 hours to burn this off" is not in the back of someone's mind.

Pasta is so played.

This is exactly the kind of mood I wanted. Decadent,  sexy and classy.  Thank you so much!  You seemed to know what I was going for.  How the hell do you buy truffles in Korea?  As well as get good quality oysters to slurp?

Offline dippedinblush

• Adventurer
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2018, 09:18:42 PM »
I went with pasta and wine for the first time I cooked for my picky Korean bf. It went down well although after repeating it a few times he eventually told me he was sick of pasta. My bf actually loves to cook so I usually let him take the reigns and buy the ingredients, buy the drinks, or prepare a salad or something. Does your gf like cooking? Maybe preparing something together could be fun. I occasionally cook a traditional Sunday roast; you could try taking her way out of her comfort zone with a traditional dish you're familiar with. All complaints can be met with the mocK-appalled "THIS IS THE FOOD OF MY PEOPLE"  :wink:

Robin, that's how my gf thinks!!  She is a good cook too (of Korean food).  I have an oven.  What do you cook as a roast?  She would love that if I made a nice roast!

Offline dippedinblush

• Adventurer
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2018, 09:21:16 PM »
Also, why is everyone getting muted and warned?

Offline dippedinblush

• Adventurer
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2018, 09:21:49 PM »
Fajitas are good, use pork or chicken, and buy the spice mix from homeplus.  Play around with the garnish.  fingery food is always a winner as it makes the meal more casual, and the assembly means people can dress the food to their liking. 

Chocolate meringue pie for dessert is a winner and easy to make.

How do you make it?

Offline dippedinblush

• Adventurer
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2018, 09:50:25 PM »
Haha, I just came on here to see how many guys would still suggest pasta for the romantic meal.  That's a classic uni era move when you have a steady girlfriend and you have the opportunity to have a house alone.  Pasta and wine.  Classy and original!  I say that as someone who did the exact thing with my first serious gf back in the day. I had a friend in his mid-twenties a few years ago (I'm old), great guy and he was starting to get serious with his Korean girlfriend so wanted to make her a nice romantic meal.  Sure enough, spaghetti.  At least I convinced him to splurge on the Classico over the Ottogi sauce and to add some Worcestershire sauce for something different.  If you're taking the time to make a proper sauce she should be happy.  Never had a really good sauce in a restaurant here.

I vote go with Greek like was mentioned above.  After a few tries I've got tzatziki sauce down. My gf is also Korean and a fussy eater and she had never tried it and quite liked it.  Follow the direction when it tells you to remove the seeds from the cucumber and let it drain.  Also, I guess it makes a difference what appliances you have available.  I make the tzatziki in the blender and cook the meat (pork, chicken) on the grilling setting in my oven.  If you just have a stove top and a pot; pasta time!

And the minute I saw oysters and champagne on this thread I knew that that caricature of a sophisticated Boston Brahmin was not going to disappoint. From his rigid dress code to cosmopolitan palate this guy is the gift that keeps on giving.  Champagne paired with a meal?  How Kardashian.  I'm looking forward to a post where someone asks for tips on a nice beach destination and we get to here about Darts foray to a nameless beach only accessible by periodic mail boat (if you've managed to charm the locals) off the Sardinian Coast.

Oh come on!  He was trying to be nice. (at least I hope).  What is your recipe for tzatziki?

Offline dippedinblush

• Adventurer
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2018, 09:52:20 PM »
The guys that replied with their tried-and-trues are really on point!  Their girlfriends/wives are lucky!!