August 19, 2018, 10:35:53 AM

Author Topic: most of us are in Busan or Seoul and we all hang out in Itaewon  (Read 1844 times)

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend

Offline sojuadventurer

• Super Waygook
Re: most of us are in Busan or Seoul and we all hang out in Itaewon
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 03:22:58 PM »
I prefer a place that is a.) close enough to a major city (i.e. Seoul/Daegu/Busan) but b.) far enough away from it that you don't have to deal with as much of the B.S. that comes with living in said big cities.

Online JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 03:26:52 PM »
I told myself before coming here that I wanted to teach in Seoul or Busan as those were the only two places I really knew of. Boy was I glad I didn't get stuck in either of those places. Though being from Florida, Busan would've been nice thanks to the beaches. I'm actually quite happy in my small metropolitan area, where the number of Koreans is almost non-existent. I prefer the quiter, slow-paced life. It's not the hustle and bustle of Seoul, but it's definitely not the contrast of living right next to a farm.
The World Ends With You

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 03:35:06 PM »
I told myself before coming here that I wanted to teach in Seoul or Busan as those were the only two places I really knew of. Boy was I glad I didn't get stuck in either of those places. Though being from Florida, Busan would've been nice thanks to the beaches. I'm actually quite happy in my small metropolitan area, where the number of Koreans is almost non-existent. I prefer the quiter, slow-paced life. It's not the hustle and bustle of Seoul, but it's definitely not the contrast of living right next to a farm.

You mean foreigners?

Offline ESLTurtle

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 03:52:39 PM »
Attended university and worked in Busan (hospitality industry) and currently working in Seoul (University + some side gigs) and I've come to the conclusion: Busan is better for living and Seoul is greater when it comes to working options and opportunities/connections.

Don't really like Itaewon as there's a.. mixture of personalities there. I fancy me a nice night in 연남동/합정/신사 as they have a lot of decent cocktail/wine lounges.

If I'm going to invest time into giving people the opportunity to approach me, I'd rather not come across some primitive, barbarian같은 ㅅㅂ ㅅ ㄲ.   :police:

Offline tadpole511

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 07:45:19 PM »
I prefer a place that is a.) close enough to a major city (i.e. Seoul/Daegu/Busan) but b.) far enough away from it that you don't have to deal with as much of the B.S. that comes with living in said big cities.

Similar.

I began my Korean adventure in a large city (~top 5 for population), and I was convinced that Seoul and Busan were not the be all and end all of Korea. My city was amazing and living there was better than living in Seoul, and you couldn't convince me otherwise. I was close enough to Seoul for easy day trips, but I also had everything I needed in my own city.

Fast forward, and I've moved to a smaller satellite city in Gyeonggi-do. While I still love my old city, I have an immense appreciation for Seoul, and I can definitely see why so many people want to live there. And while I love spending time in Seoul, I am glad I live in a quieter area where I can generally escape the noise pollution that comes with living in a huge, dense, urban city.

I do wonder, though, what the age distribution is. Because I imagine, similar to western countries (at least stereotypically), older people tend more towards the suburbs and more rural areas, while the younger generation tends to move in towards the cities. Do older foreigners tend to prefer living in the smaller cities, while the college-aged and recent graduates tend to prefer the big cities?

Offline Hodor314

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 07:57:54 PM »
Itaewon is a shithole.. There, I said it.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 08:26:57 PM »
EFL teachers are well known for being low on ambition, and generally people who want to make it good in any country  gravitate to a big city. The stats so far seem to reflect this.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:33:14 PM by eggieguffer »

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 08:32:59 PM »
EFL teachers are well known for being low on ambition and generally people who want to make it good in any country,  gravitate to a big city. The stats so far seem to reflect this.
i guess most people live here for the same reason many koreans also move to big cities - more job opportunities. i imagine i wouldn't make nearly as much if i lived outside of seoul. most adult, corporate classes are based in seoul - as well as British Council, etc.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 08:33:47 PM »
EFL teachers are well known for being low on ambition and generally people who want to make it good in any country,  gravitate to a big city. The stats so far seem to reflect this.
i guess most people live here for the same reason many koreans also move to big cities - more job opportunities. i imagine i wouldn't make nearly as much if i lived outside of seoul. most adult, corporate classes are based in seoul - as well as British Council, etc.

yep

Offline some waygug-in

• Super Waygook
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 12:50:36 AM »

I do wonder, though, what the age distribution is. Because I imagine, similar to western countries (at least stereotypically), older people tend more towards the suburbs and more rural areas, while the younger generation tends to move in towards the cities. Do older foreigners tend to prefer living in the smaller cities, while the college-aged and recent graduates tend to prefer the big cities?
Kwote:

That's because older folks tend to have an easier time finding work in more rural areas.   Larger centers tend to want to only hire young folks.

Offline Foreverparadise

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 02:08:14 AM »
I lived in a rural area for 4 years. Busan was closer.
Whenever I went to Seoul, I always went to Itaewon. I have
been doing this since I used to live and work in Yongin. The main
reasons why I went to Itaewon was:

1) Haircuts: I never trusted Korean barbers to cut my hair
so I go to Itaewon where there are people who can deal
with my kind of hair.

2) Diversity: There is nothing that connects me with people from
around the world better than when you see people who are of
diverse cultures mixing in with the dominant Korean culture.

3) Food: All the delicious tasting food is there in varieties.
(Forget about KFC or Burger King). I am talking foods like
Turkish Kebabs, Thai Food, and Middle Eastern food etc.
But since I became a vegetarian during my last days in Korea,
I still went to Itaewon to find vegetarian foods anyway because
there are restaurants such as the Thai restaurant that are vegetarian
friendly. There is even a vegan restaurant that was recently opened
in Itaewon.

4) Clothing: Whenever I needed to buy larger size clothes that were
not available for me at the local E-Mart, I would go to Itaewon to buy
clothes and shoes that would fit me right. I even went there to
tailor two suits, (but most of my suits were tailored for a cheaper
price when I went to Thailand).

5) Thai Massage: I used to go to Itaewon to get a Thai oil massage
from this one place in Itaewon. The service I got was great and I
cannot forget these discounts I used to get. I used to go there to
get Thai massages until they opened up a new one in the local
town where I used to live. However they opened it during the
last 2 months I was in Korea and their rates were more expensive
than the Thai massage salon in Itaewon.

6) Night Life: I do have an appreciation for night life where I can
go and let it all hang down. I used to hang out at a bar called the
Goldfish Bar. They changed it into a lounge. It was sad for me to know
that a young Filipina named Loverly does not sing there anymore. Her voice
used to draw me there. I didn't want too much loud night life, but I did
enjoy my times at Hellios.

So yes, most times a lot of foreign language teachers do hang out in
Itaewon no matter where in Korea they live. They can live as far away as
Jindo or Mokpo and still make it to Seoul to hang out in Itaewon knowing
the fact that Korea has the best public transportation systems in the
world (unlike where I am currently living where I have to drive everywhere),
plus South Korea is a small country in size. I wish I could have all this fun
again every Saturday night because I cannot get this kind of fun in deep
rural Canada as I did when I was in Itaewon. Not to mention how the winters
in Seoul are not so brutally cold. As for lodging......I still had the option to
spend my cheap nights lodging at one of the two jimjibangs in Itaewon.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 03:29:57 AM »

Kwote:

That's because older folks tend to have an easier time finding work in more rural areas.   Larger centers tend to want to only hire young folks.

Older, settled people who want to buy their own place or put down Jeonse generally can't afford to do it in Seoul, that's true. Don't know about house prices in Busan.

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 07:29:59 AM »
Agree with me if you love those foreigners that say "they hate Itaewon" and yet all their friends are foreign and only have their co-teacher/hakwon director or one Korean as their friend.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah Karen/Becky you hate Itaewon because theirs too many foreigners but all your friends at your birthday party are all non Koreans expect for that one guy you keep around to play pocket dictionary.  SURE JAN! 

Me, personally, I LOVE ITAWEON!  I love Hongdae, Gangnam and other districts too!!! So you will never hear me say "I don't do Itaewon"  .....get over yourselves.  Plus with all the gentrification that is happening in Itaewon these days it looks like Koreans love it too :rolleyes:

Sidenote:  I also love living in the sticks too.  I live in the sticks and aside from the commute to Seoul on the weekends, I enjoy my country bumpkin life in rural Korea. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 07:32:57 AM by Piggydee »

Online JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 07:30:46 AM »

You mean foreigners?

No, I really mean Koreans. My town often feels empty.
The World Ends With You

Offline zola

• The Legend
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 07:43:26 AM »
Agree with me if you love those foreigners that say "they hate Itaewon" and yet all their friends are foreign and only have their co-teacher/hakwon director or one Korean as their friend.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah Karen/Becky you hate Itaewon because theirs too many foreigners but all your friends at your birthday party are all non Koreans expect for that one guy you keep around to play pocket dictionary.  SURE JAN! 

Me, personally, I LOVE ITAWEON!  I love Hongdae, Gangnam and other districts too!!! So you will never hear me say "I don't do Itaewon"  .....get over yourselves.  Plus with all the gentrification that is happening in Itaewon these days it looks like Koreans love it too :rolleyes:

Sidenote:  I also love living in the sticks too.  I live in the sticks and aside from the commute to Seoul on the weekends, I enjoy my country bumpkin life in rural Korea.

You are the female Martin.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 07:55:16 AM »

How about foreigners who hate Itaewon because it's full of Koreans these days?

Offline Titus Groan

• Waygookin
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 08:13:33 AM »

That'd be me!

Offline plan b

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2018, 11:00:26 AM »

That'd be me!

That trend will most likely continue with the Yongsan army base closing shop and the soldiers going to Pyeongtaek. Itaewon will become more and more Koreanized.

Offline eastcoast

• Adventurer
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2018, 11:19:55 AM »
If I wanna get some, I take a date to Itaewon, because then she knows I intend to get some, and then I get some.