October 16, 2018, 01:36:50 AM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: Foreigners who dress bad  (Read 7812 times)

Offline bigfishlittlefish

• Veteran
Re: Foreigners who dress bad
« Reply #120 on: June 15, 2018, 07:26:18 AM »
If I'm spending the evening in a smokey pool room full of unfaithful ajoshi alcoholics, what is the appropriate dress code? Does a tracksuit with a toothpaste stain suffice?

2 - Do your clothes fit? Do you look like you're wearing your clothes and not the other way around?
3 - Are you wearing something that compliments your body?
4 - Are you confident as a hobo / chav / sportsman that's let himself go / unfaithful ajeossi alcoholic, while satisfying 1-3?

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #121 on: June 15, 2018, 07:35:59 AM »
If I'm spending the evening in a smokey pool room full of unfaithful ajoshi alcoholics, what is the appropriate dress code? Does a tracksuit with a toothpaste stain suffice?

Nah, just wear those fake Adidas plastic slippers with no socks.  You'll fit right in.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #122 on: June 15, 2018, 08:04:11 AM »
You're missing the point and no, it's very much objective, the laws of attraction, based on colours, shapes and textures which humans have evolved to appreciate.

Shoulder pads
Baggy clothes from 90s hip hop or early 90s Manchester
Flares
Current trend of pants that are 2 inches too short
etc.

You are way, way over stating the objective attraction of clothing. And this is not even getting into non-western cultures clothing throughout history.

People just don't want to admit that they have been conditioned to like a certain style through constant media bombardment. Don't pretend it's some evolutionary trait, at least beyond any base notion.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline alexisalex

• Veteran
« Reply #123 on: June 15, 2018, 08:13:40 AM »
Have to agree with some previous posters; a suit just isn't appropriate for people like us (public school and hagwon teachers).

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2018, 08:20:42 AM »
You're missing the point and no, it's very much objective, the laws of attraction, based on colours, shapes and textures which humans have evolved to appreciate.

Shoulder pads
Flares
etc.

You are way, way over stating the objective attraction of clothing. And this is not even getting into non-western cultures clothing throughout history.

People just don't want to admit that they have been conditioned to like a certain style through constant media bombardment. Don't pretend it's some evolutionary trait, at least beyond any base notion.

I think there is more to it.

There is "pop stylish", which is like "pop music."  5 years later you look back and laugh.

But there is also long-term, objective aspect to it. I have a 12 year old charcoal suit in my closet that I still occasionally wear (and get complements on).

Fine wool and silk are objectively beautiful things.  If I gave anybody, living or dead, from any culture a sample of fine cloth and a sample of cheep cloth, they would know which one a prince would wear.

I do like Aristocrat's list.

I remember radio advert for a bra shop a few years ago that said 80% of women wore the wrong size bra.  I would guess that about the same percent of men wear the wrong size shirt - for the same reason... very few of us are the same size that we were when we were 18!

If you have curves (and yes, a bear-belly is a curve), you would benefit from having clothes tailor made or altered to fit.  Don't let the number of the tag bother you; a pair of 44" trousers on a 45" body looks much worse than the 46" taken in and shaped.

Remember the British show "what not to wear"?  It focused quite a bit on matching clothes to body shape.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2018, 09:37:18 AM »

I remember the vice-principal at my first public school where I used to work several years ago, often came to school wearing a tracksuit (like what some gym teachers wear), for some reason. Not sure if it had a toothpaste stain, though. Haha.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2018, 09:40:41 AM »

Shoulder pads
Flares
etc.

There is "pop stylish", which is like "pop music."  5 years later you look back and laugh.

But there is also long-term, objective aspect to it. I have a 12 year old charcoal suit in my closet that I still occasionally wear (and get complements on).

Fine wool and silk are objectively beautiful things.  If I gave anybody, living or dead, from any culture a sample of fine cloth and a sample of cheep cloth, they would know which one a prince would wear.

I remember radio advert for a bra shop a few years ago that said 80% of women wore the wrong size bra.  I would guess that about the same percent of men wear the wrong size shirt - for the same reason... very few of us are the same size that we were when we were 18!

If you have curves (and yes, a bear-belly is a curve), you would benefit from having clothes tailor made or altered to fit.  Don't let the number of the tag bother you; a pair of 44" trousers on a 45" body looks much worse than the 46" taken in and shaped.

Remember the British show "what not to wear"?  It focused quite a bit on matching clothes to body shape.

Sure, I agree with the overall idea behind what you are saying.

But it eventually stops. And so attaching "objective" to it is over egging the pudding.

Go back through history and you see plenty of eras, cultures, styles where "wear clothes for your body shape" was not adhered to in the least. It seems to be something that started in the late 19th century or 20th century and was popularized through the advent of mass-media.

Go to an isolated group of people without external influences, yes they may choose the fabrics and materials that are better quality, as we would. But shape, fit, contour, even colour, would all be right out the window.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2018, 09:45:12 AM »

2 - Do your clothes fit? Do you look like you're wearing your clothes and not the other way around?
3 - Are you wearing something that compliments your body?
4 - Are you confident as a hobo / chav / sportsman that's let himself go / unfaithful ajeossi alcoholic, while satisfying 1-3?

It's really interesting you bring these things up.

I said appropriate to the occasion, not the people. Just because your teachers come to school in an old jeans and t-shirt, doesn't mean you should.
Don't rely on others to cue you on how to dress, that shows a lack of confidence.
YOU should know what to wear.

Trying to "fit in" is not the reason one dresses well. Dressing well is making a statement about yourself, simply trying to "fit in" is making the statement that you're too afraid to stand out.

Fashion is also something one shouldn't really be concerned with. Following trends is just another way of saying you're not putting any thought into what suits your body or what expresses your personality.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2018, 10:47:28 AM »

Shoulder pads
Flares
etc.

Sure, I agree with the overall idea behind what you are saying.

But it eventually stops. And so attaching "objective" to it is over egging the pudding.

Go back through history and you see plenty of eras, cultures, styles where "wear clothes for your body shape" was not adhered to in the least. It seems to be something that started in the late 19th century or 20th century and was popularized through the advent of mass-media.

Go to an isolated group of people without external influences, yes they may choose the fabrics and materials that are better quality, as we would. But shape, fit, contour, even colour, would all be right out the window.

There is a cultural aspect, but you can still spot the leader in a group.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2018, 12:22:15 PM »

Shoulder pads
Flares
etc.

I don't want to put you on the spot. While it doesn't make you any less of a knowledgable person, you're attempting to argue against something you know little about. I don't know the first thing about basketball, so I'm not going to enter a debate on why Michael Jordan is better than Lebron James.

Your first issue is you're confusing trends, fashion, style and being well-dressed.
You're assuming a well-dressed person is a person who keeps up with trends and fashion and is thus stylish. The person who is a slave to trends and fashion is oftentimes the worst dressed person.

Shoulder pads, baggy clothes etc. those were trends and they were focused on the younger crowd, usually teenagers.
Teenagers are in a quest to find a sense of belonging, so they'll try to identify with a certain group, whether it's a sports team, music interests sub-culture etc.
Teenagers would wear baggy clothes to send the message that they were part of the hip-hop crowd and felt a sense of belonging... or as a way to rebel against conformity and get a sense of independence.
Fashion trends came about mainly to be different, they have a different purpose to dressing-well.

I'm definitely not overstating the power of attraction with clothing. It's evolution.

Know why almost every lady loves a guy in a nice suit?
Evolution and Science.

Humans have evolved to seek out the best mate. We know how to spot good physical and character traits.
The majority of women are going to be attracted to the taller man with the v-shaped torso.
Very much unlike a t-shirt, a suit jacket or blazer has structured shoulders and it buttons up snuggly at the waist.
This accentuates a man's the v-shaped torso and even has the ability to create the illusion that a guy who doesn't have one has one... it's powerful stuff, buddy.
When you wear an Ajushi suit, it makes you look like you're wearing pajamas and has the opposite effect.

Want to know why many women will look at a guys shoes first?

Things like shoes and watches represent a relatively smaller area of our appearance, so why give it so much attention. It's precisely this. Many women rationalize that if a man is not going to neglect the smaller details of his appearance, he won't neglect the smaller details in the rest of his life. In the case of a watch, it's almost become redundant in 2018, so wearing a watch, particularly the choice of watch, can send a powerful message.

Be it Western, Eastern, Oriental, Tribal or whatever, the principle of appearance is the same... And yes, I am focusing on the details of Western style as that's pretty much what's relevant.

I can definitely see you scoffing right now and that's understandable, I scoff at those people who pay millions for pictures of scribbles, but like those scribbles, dressing is an Art and unlike those scribbles, your choice of clothes will actually have an impact on what people think of you.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 01:20:49 PM by Aristocrat »

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2018, 12:40:09 PM »
I feel like maybe someone's been spending too much time on Reddit's male fashion pages.

Offline alexisalex

• Veteran
« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2018, 01:19:34 PM »
Have I stumbled onto a #menswear blog circa 2013?  :huh:

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #132 on: June 15, 2018, 01:30:27 PM »

The title of the thread is "Foreigners who dress bad"... what did you expect the conversation to be about? Gardening?

And I apologize for committing the crime of being informed about something I take an interest to.

Offline alexisalex

• Veteran
« Reply #133 on: June 15, 2018, 01:45:16 PM »

The title of the thread is "Foreigners who dress bad"... what did you expect the conversation to be about? Gardening?

Oh sorry, yeah I knew the conversation was about clothes.  I was referring to your last post.

And I apologize for committing the crime of being informed about something I take an interest to.

I beg to differ but that's just my opinion  :undecided:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #134 on: June 15, 2018, 01:54:11 PM »
No one should ever have to say "that's my opinion."

Just say your opinion. We're all uni grads, we know it's your opinion, alexisalex,  ;D

1000x more heinous is when someone says,

:cheesy: Lebron is better than Jordan.

:shocked: "That's just your opinion."

Well, no shit. You gonna disagree or are simply pointing out that I have thoughts of my own?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 01:56:18 PM by CO2 »
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #135 on: June 15, 2018, 01:54:18 PM »

Shoulder pads
Flares
etc.

I don't want to put you on the spot. While it doesn't make you any less of a knowledgable person, you're attempting to argue against something you know little about. I don't know the first thing about basketball, so I'm not going to enter a debate on why Michael Jordan is better than Lebron James.

Your first issue is you're confusing trends, fashion, style and being well-dressed.
You're assuming a well-dressed person is a person who keeps up with trends and fashion and is thus stylish. The person who is a slave to trends and fashion is oftentimes the worst dressed person.

Shoulder pads, baggy clothes etc. those were trends and they were focused on the younger crowd, usually teenagers.
Teenagers are in a quest to find a sense of belonging, so they'll try to identify with a certain group, whether it's a sports team, music interests sub-culture etc.
Teenagers would wear baggy clothes to send the message that they were part of the hip-hop crowd and felt a sense of belonging... or as a way to rebel against conformity and get a sense of independence.
Fashion trends came about mainly to be different, they have a different purpose to dressing-well.

I'm definitely not overstating the power of attraction with clothing. It's evolution.

Evolution and Science.

Humans have evolved to seek out the best mate. We know how to spot good physical and character traits.
The majority of women are going to be attracted to the taller man with the v-shaped torso.
Very much unlike a t-shirt, a suit jacket or blazer has structured shoulders and it buttons up snuggly at the waist.
This accentuates a man's the v-shaped torso and even has the ability to create the illusion that a guy who doesn't have one has one... it's powerful stuff, buddy.
When you wear an Ajushi suit, it makes you look like you're wearing pajamas and has the opposite effect.

Things like shoes and watches represent a relatively smaller area of our appearance, so why give it so much attention. It's precisely this. Many women rationalize that if a man is not going to neglect the smaller details of his appearance, he won't neglect the smaller details in the rest of his life. In the case of a watch, it's almost become redundant in 2018, so wearing a watch, particularly the choice of watch, can send a powerful message.

Be it Western, Eastern, Oriental, Tribal or whatever, the principle of appearance is the same... And yes, I am focusing on the details of Western style as that's pretty much what's relevant.

I can definitely see you scoffing right now and that's understandable, I scoff at those people who pay millions for pictures of scribbles, but like those scribbles, dressing is an Art and unlike those scribbles, your choice of clothes will actually have an impact on what people think of you.

Mate, there are many, many women who do not give a shit about suits or have completely different paradigm of judgment of appearance. There are females far beyond their teen years who post embarrassing facebook meme posts saying things like "I want a man in a t shirt and jeans who has been working on his truck all day". There are many areas where someone in a suit would be met with suspicion and derision. You are assigning your own very narrow "sophisticated" world view onto everyone. The suit is not some universal symbol of looking good.

I understand and to a degree, kind of agree with what you are saying overall. Of course appearance is important. But you are projecting your own ideas and view of reality onto society as a whole. Have you traveled anywhere outside major cities around the world? The majority of the world's population wear whatever they can afford and what's clean that day. And people seem to be getting their fcuk on without any huge problem. And I'm not just talking about the 3rd world. Leave the 2-3 big cities in my country and you would struggle to find anyone who fits into your narrow style ideal.

You obviously have a real interest in clothes and fashion. But not everyone feels that way. And its not becuase of laziness, lack of confidence or whatever pop psychology action/reason you want to attach to it.
It's like me giving a run down of the qualities of different genres of music and explaning, that evolutionarily speaking, by listening to pop music you are displaying sub-optimal IQ levels, the dominant beats, synthesized melodies, repeated lyrics tie directly to an underdeveloped auditory cortex which is connected to the cerebrum by  myelin that wraps around nerve fibers that serves to increase or in this case decrease, the speed of electrical communication between neurons. You are literally a dumber person for listening to pop music. And the only real way to show people that you are a man of substance (and wit apparently) is to listen to classical music, or post-rock made between 1997 and 2005.

Also, this isn't about me. I'd say on a scale of 1 - 10, 1 being turning up to work in a cum stained hoodie, shorts and a basbeball cap, 10 being....you, I would be about a 7 at work. But I certainly don't give half a toss about someone on a 3 - 6, or assign value judgments based on their clothes. To an extent, I can understand them. Clothes are unnecessarily expensive, most people have other stuff they'd rather spend their money on. Turning up smelly and dirty is unacceptable. Turning up in baggy pants, a polo shirt one size to big? who could even begin to give a shit? You obviously. And that is fine, but don't try and pretend that everyone feels the same, and if they dont they are just lying to themsleves.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #136 on: June 15, 2018, 01:58:47 PM »
I've received some surprised stares over my combination of dress shirt, shorts and hiking boots. I should add some very long socks just to complete the look.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2018, 03:16:50 PM »

Shoulder pads
Flares
etc.

Evolution and Science.

Mate, there are many, many women who do not give a shit about suits or have completely different paradigm of judgment of appearance. There are females far beyond their teen years who post embarrassing facebook meme posts saying things like "I want a man in a t shirt and jeans who has been working on his truck all day". There are many areas where someone in a suit would be met with suspicion and derision. You are assigning your own very narrow "sophisticated" world view onto everyone. The suit is not some universal symbol of looking good.

I understand and to a degree, kind of agree with what you are saying overall. Of course appearance is important. But you are projecting your own ideas and view of reality onto society as a whole. Have you traveled anywhere outside major cities around the world? The majority of the world's population wear whatever they can afford and what's clean that day. And people seem to be getting their fcuk on without any huge problem. And I'm not just talking about the 3rd world. Leave the 2-3 big cities in my country and you would struggle to find anyone who fits into your narrow style ideal.

You obviously have a real interest in clothes and fashion. But not everyone feels that way. And its not becuase of laziness, lack of confidence or whatever pop psychology action/reason you want to attach to it.
It's like me giving a run down of the qualities of different genres of music and explaning, that evolutionarily speaking, by listening to pop music you are displaying sub-optimal IQ levels, the dominant beats, synthesized melodies, repeated lyrics tie directly to an underdeveloped auditory cortex which is connected to the cerebrum by  myelin that wraps around nerve fibers that serves to increase or in this case decrease, the speed of electrical communication between neurons. You are literally a dumber person for listening to pop music. And the only real way to show people that you are a man of substance (and wit apparently) is to listen to classical music, or post-rock made between 1997 and 2005.

Also, this isn't about me. I'd say on a scale of 1 - 10, 1 being turning up to work in a cum stained hoodie, shorts and a basbeball cap, 10 being....you, I would be about a 7 at work. But I certainly don't give half a toss about someone on a 3 - 6, or assign value judgments based on their clothes. To an extent, I can understand them. Clothes are unnecessarily expensive, most people have other stuff they'd rather spend their money on. Turning up smelly and dirty is unacceptable. Turning up in baggy pants, a polo shirt one size to big? who could even begin to give a shit? You obviously. And that is fine, but don't try and pretend that everyone feels the same, and if they dont they are just lying to themsleves.

I think we are finding some common ground, the biggest one being that we're both incredibly stubborn.

I'm not a great writer and brevity isn't my... strong suit :azn:
So, I've tried to cut down on the commas, brackets and disclaimers, this is why I'll probably omit the exceptions to the rule and sometimes come off as generalizing.

What I omitted was that dressing-well ISN'T something you do only when you want to get laid and it's not done simply to impress the opposite sex. It's done for many reasons.

As you claim, only a minority of people will actively be aware of the details in what a person wears... but I assure you, the majority of people are still going to be unconsciously aware of your appearance. People make unconscious assumptions and judgements about people all the time, a huge part of what forms these opinions is appearance. 

You and I agree that a person needs to be clean and groomed when going... well, anywhere, but especially at the workplace, a wedding or date etc. . The reason you do this is self-respect and respect for the environment. You're trying to send the message that you respect yourself and respect the place you're at by showing that you bothered to make an effort.

Now... the difference between you and me is that you think there's a cap, at a certain point you think it becomes unnecessary to fret over what you wear; as long as you showered, brushed your teeth and hair, a department store chinos and a wrinkle free shirt will do... anything beyond that isn't necessary to show respect for the occasion or yourself. I think one needs to go beyond that, not only to show respect for the place you're at, but simply because there's more to gain from looking good than not... especially in this country.

I'll say it again, you're arguing from a position of ignorance and bliss and I'll say it again, it doesn't make you any less professional, knowledgable or competent. We all invest our time into different things.
You're ignorant in the fact that dressing-well doesn't require any knowledge of fashion (you'd be more stylish by ignoring fashion), it only requires thought into what you wear. It doesn't require extra money either.
Give 2 people $100 to spend on an outfit. The well-dressed person will look better than the badly dressed one who spent the same amount of money.

I'll agree with you, most people see getting dressed and buying clothes as mundane as brushing ones teeth or washing the dishes, a chore that just needs to be done.
In fact, it's an Art, which can be very beneficial for your professional and personal life if you simply take the time to learn about it.

Anyway, whatever you're wearing, have a good weekend.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #138 on: June 15, 2018, 03:33:09 PM »
If we had a perfect climate would it be better if clothing never existed?
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

donovan

« Reply #139 on: June 15, 2018, 03:45:29 PM »
If we had a perfect climate would it be better if clothing never existed?

If you had perfect abs.