February 17, 2019, 04:42:28 PM

Author Topic: Taxi drivers who act clueless  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
Taxi drivers who act clueless
« on: May 02, 2018, 03:59:33 PM »
Have you noticed how many Korean taxi drivers don't know how to read a map? Even a korean map, they will just wave their hands in the air like its a different language. Instead they insist on calling your destination so as to be guided in live over the phone by a korean person.
But even an address written in Korean usually draws the same response of incomprehension.
Drivers never seem to know the local area at all. Most of them also do not know how to use the gps either. And don't try talking korean because..they don't know that either.

So I guess my question is, how is it possible to be over the age of 40 and not know how to do the simplest thing?
Catch my drift?

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
Re: Taxi drivers who act clueless
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 04:34:52 PM »
Have you noticed how many Korean taxi drivers don't know how to read a map? Even a korean map, they will just wave their hands in the air like its a different language. Instead they insist on calling your destination so as to be guided in live over the phone by a korean person.
But even an address written in Korean usually draws the same response of incomprehension.
Drivers never seem to know the local area at all. Most of them also do not know how to use the gps either. And don't try talking korean because..they don't know that either.

So I guess my question is, how is it possible to be over the age of 40 and not know how to do the simplest thing?

Most of them do it based off of familiarity and you also having some element of familiarity. Try telling them a famous landmark nearby and then guiding them from there.

Add to that, many aren't the most tech literate.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 04:46:57 PM »

Most of them do it based off of familiarity and you also having some element of familiarity. Try telling them a famous landmark nearby and then guiding them from there.

Many arenít the most literate [full stop].

Offline T.J.

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 06:27:28 PM »
Knowing what the universally understood landmark, intersection, building, etc in proximity to your destination is, is the key. For some reason a particular intersection near our house is instantly recognized regardless of where I am in Seoul. Back in the day, the blue tiled gas station near Hongdae was the same. Nobody stated 홍대 as their destination. It was always 청기와주유소.

If you are going somewhere always ask what you should tell the driver. They should understand the question and be able to provide the relevant information. Donít ask for only the address as that wonít be particularly helpful in communicating with the driver.

"An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock."

-Will Rogers

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 08:08:47 PM »

Or driving literate.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 04:48:52 AM »
Ah yes, one of the greatest mysteries known to mankind: how to get a Korean taxi driver to do their job.

First of all, Koreans in general don't seem to use street addresses for anything but sending mail, surely due to the idiotic Korean address system where every road in a neighborhood is given the same name, and house/lot numbers are assigned based on when the building was built compared to other buildings on that street. So giving them a specific street address won't work. Ever.

Only thing that seems to work is to first give the name of the dong you're going to (and maybe the gu if there's a similar-sounding dong in another gu), and then a major landmark of some kind around there like an intersection or a market or a department store or fire station or whatever. You definitely have to ask Koreans for advice with this...every cab driver in Daegu (a city of 3 million people) seemed to know the exact location of a market near my apartment...now if you went to where this market was supposed to be, there was nothing, just some bars and fried chicken places. Maybe 40 years ago there was a market there.

I guess taxi drivers don't use their ubiquitous GPS units because they're used to just immediately heading for a Korean-style landmark, but I have seen them use it reluctantly. It definitely wastes a bit of time, and Korea bballi bballi etc. But I don't see why they can't read a damn map, even the Korean-style ones on the back of business cards that clearly show major nearby Korean-style landmarks on them like intersections and hospitals.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

Offline Nokcha

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 07:29:36 AM »
Most of my taxi experiences are positive, but I'm ready to pull their hair out if they don't recognize when I say, Seoul Station in Korean. Really? Ok, how about KTX? This happens occasionally, when the taxi driver doesn't recognize my Korean pronunciations. If it's my neighborhood, I can understand. But Seoul Yuk? Like to rip him a new one!

Online JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 07:40:10 AM »
I have the fortune of living next to a really big lake/park, with my building directly behind a Starbucks, so telling them the general location and guiding from there is easy. The only time there's been confusion was when my driver was asking which Starbucks, as there are two surrounding that very park (can't get enough cafes, huh?).
The World Ends With You

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 07:43:08 AM »
I have the fortune of living next to a really big lake/park, with my building directly behind a Starbucks, so telling them the general location and guiding from there is easy. The only time there's been confusion was when my driver was asking which Starbucks, as there are two surrounding that very park (can't get enough cafes, huh?).

"The Starbucks next to the CU, across from the 7-11."

:laugh:

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 07:43:25 AM »
i'd just like to add, if a taxi driver refuses to take you, or is generally a massive dick, snap a picture of their registration number or ID card.

i reported a taxi driver who refused to take me to my destination - when i was already in the taxi! - and reported him. i got the verdict (it goes to a local court, i think) a few months later, and he was fined 200,000won

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 07:44:16 AM »
i'd just like to add, if a taxi driver refuses to take you, or is generally a massive dick, snap a picture of their registration number or ID card.

i reported a taxi driver who refused to take me to my destination - when i was already in the taxi! - and reported him. i got the verdict (it goes to a local court, i think) a few months later, and he was fined 200,000won

Nice to hear that it made a difference.

Offline gotngoidea

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 07:56:50 AM »
I always use a public school or major intersection. If I don't know how to direct the taxi driver exactly to the place, I would get dropped off and walk from the nearest school.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 07:58:54 AM »
Most of my taxi experiences are positive, but I'm ready to pull their hair out if they don't recognize when I say, Seoul Station in Korean. Really? Ok, how about KTX? This happens occasionally, when the taxi driver doesn't recognize my Korean pronunciations. If it's my neighborhood, I can understand. But Seoul Yuk? Like to rip him a new one!

Pretty much the same for me.

It's just that sometimes whenever I do get that random driver who can't seem to understand my pronunciation, half of THOSE drivers try to use it as an excuse to kick me out of the taxi. If I have the time, I argue with them until they take me where I want to go, but a lot of the times the only reason why I'm taking a taxi in the first place is because I'm short on time, so :undecided:. The other guys who legit can't seem to understand me or don't know of wherever it is that I'm talking about, they're normally patient enough for me to type it in on my phone or to pull up a map and Korean address (which they then type into their own GPS, or they call this number to ask whomever about where it is).

One time I told a driver my destination. It was a really well-known landmark (like the KTX station), and my pronunciation was on point. Driver just said he didn't know what I was talking about and to take another driver. I said fine and got into the taxi behind him. Told THAT driver where I wanted to go, and at first he's all like, "Why didn't you take the taxi in front of me (part of one of those taxi lines)?" Told him that the driver in front said he didn't know what I was talking about, that he didn't know of the landmark. And the driver gets the funniest look on his face, and kind of asks, "Are you sure?" I'm like, yeah, and I repeat what the other driver kept saying in Korean. So of course he gets the idea that the other guy is just an asshole. Doesn't say a word to me, but as he's driving past the other taxi he gives it a nice, long stare. No idea if he made eye-contact, pretty sure he just wanted to get a good look at this idiot, but it felt nice to have a taxi driver side with me against another taxi driver. xD

I've never actually done this before, but I did go through the motions of taking a picture of a driver's ID card one time (I probably wouldn't have done anything with it, I was more doing it for show because the guy really pissed me off) and the driver suddenly understood where I wanted to go. So some of them take it super serious, my guess because they might've been reported before and ended up losing out in court.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 09:18:14 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 08:23:18 AM »
They pretend not to know how to read maps in case you are a North Korean spy.  :afro:

But how does one go through military training and not know how to read a map? Assuming 99.99% of the taxi drivers are male and over the age of 32.

Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 08:49:15 AM »
They pretend not to know how to read maps in case you are a North Korean spy.  :afro:

But how does one go through military training and not know how to read a map? Assuming 99.99% of the taxi drivers are male and over the age of 32.

When your workforce is made of ornery high-school educated old men getting paid crap wages, you're going to get some types that can't be arsed. I've also noticed some have some rather discomforting vision issues.

Uhm...if you pronounced it Sole Yuck, that might be a problem. It might sound the same to you but it's like pronouncing Harlem like Har (rhymes with war) Leem. Or Manhattan as Mon ha tan.or whatever.

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 08:53:49 AM »
half of THOSE drivers try to use it as an excuse to kick me out of the taxi.

One time I told a driver my destination. It was a really well-known landmark (like the KTX station), and my pronunciation was on point. Driver just said he didn't know what I was talking about and to take another driver.

This is what I don't get. They act like they don't want your money.

It seems like most of them don't actually need to make a living. They act like they're doing you a big favour for taking you somewhere. Half the time they are turning down customers.

This is definitely different from most cities of the world where taxi drivers strongly compete for your attention.

Either they make so much money from the recent fare hikes.. or they are all just in it for conversation.
Catch my drift?

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 08:56:19 AM »
half of THOSE drivers try to use it as an excuse to kick me out of the taxi.

One time I told a driver my destination. It was a really well-known landmark (like the KTX station), and my pronunciation was on point. Driver just said he didn't know what I was talking about and to take another driver.
...They act like they don't want your money....

It's not an act.

Another fare will be there in 15 seconds, and be a lot less bother than you or I.

Offline hulme187

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 09:35:03 AM »
I had an idiot taxi driver yesterday who took a completely different route so I specified for the 10th time where I wanted to go and even shown him the address and he took me to a different school. I had to direct him the rest of the way and the fare was obviously more expensive. I took his license plate. Is it worth reporting him? I don't want a reputation with other taxi drivers over 2,000 won though but it has annoyed me.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2018, 09:57:09 AM »
I had an idiot taxi driver yesterday who took a completely different route so I specified for the 10th time where I wanted to go and even shown him the address and he took me to a different school. I had to direct him the rest of the way and the fare was obviously more expensive. I took his license plate. Is it worth reporting him? I don't want a reputation with other taxi drivers over 2,000 won though but it has annoyed me.
probably not. it's illegal for drivers not to take you to your destination, but it's not illegal to be an idiot (yet)

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2018, 10:04:20 AM »
Half the time they are turning down customers.

This is definitely different from most cities of the world where taxi drivers strongly compete for your attention.

Either they make so much money from the recent fare hikes.. or they are all just in it for conversation.

Considering South Korea has relatively cheap fares, I suspect this has an impact on that. Whatever system they have, experience has taught the cab drivers that they make more money waiting for "the big one" rather than taking several fares of short distance. And since they'r the ones living it, and since in an open market like this, the most profitable method tends to win out, I'm guessing they're right.

Now, the thing is that they're also subsidized I believe. And that completely changes things. If they were private operators, more power to em. If they think it isn't worth it for them to take you, well that's the free market. But since they're subsidized, that means that in part, they work for us. And that means that they need to take you where you tell them to take you.