October 17, 2018, 01:11:57 AM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: Starbucks to Close 8,000 U.S. Stores for Racial-Bias Training After Arrests  (Read 2705 times)

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend

"I never thought of Holly as racist until I saw that."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIHoZ1QjuPc&t=55

Interesting how she didn't have a clue until she saw the story on the news. Then she suddenly has this big epiphany that her coworker is an out-and-out racist. Well she got her 15 minutes of fame.

It's amazing right?

You give people pass after pass after pass...but they just seem to be intent on showing you their true colours!

Early on, children are instilled with a sense of historical grievance — a sense of terrible victimization. This is poisonous to the child. Justifiable or not, grievance is a poison to individuals and societies alike. It blocks progress, constantly.

From CDW's link

https://www.nationalreview.com/2016/09/locked-disgraceful-state-indian-country/

That's you, that is waygo0k
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 11:49:46 AM by eggieguffer »

Offline waygo0k

• The Legend

From CDW's link

https://www.nationalreview.com/2016/09/locked-disgraceful-state-indian-country/

That's you, that is waygo0k

Yeah. Totally right...instilled with all that mumbo jumbo.

Nothing to do with lived experiences and the documentation of others living those same experiences...while asshats insist it must all be a figment of millions of individual imaginations.

That is sooooooo waygo0k!

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
Nothing to do with lived experiences and the documentation of others living those same experiences...while asshats insist it must all be a figment of millions of individual imaginations.

Never said it was imaginary, we've all had lived experiences from living in Korea (Yeah, yeah I'm sure yours have been much worse) It's how you deal with them that counts.

Offline gogators!

• The Legend

Never said it was imaginary, we've all had lived experiences from living in Korea (Yeah, yeah I'm sure yours have been much worse) It's how you deal with them that counts.
That's an analogy even sr/dm wouldn't touch.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend

Are you questioning the validity of someone else's lived experience?  What happened to listen and believe?

Offline gogators!

• The Legend

Are you questioning the validity of someone else's lived experience?  What happened to listen and believe?
That went out the window with trump and his thousands of lives.

But hey feel free to cry along with the white woman who called the police because some black folks were having a picnic in a public park.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10102198777444323&set=a.10100288868512133.2290424.15204075&type=3&theater

Offline CDW

• Hero of Waygookistan
Some Starbucks employees thought the anti-bias training they received was not very practical.

“The videos of cops knocking people down and fighting people were really disturbing,” Tina explained. “I told them I didn’t like the video and they told me they understood and that I was open to give my opinion.” What does watching videos about police brutality have to do with the situation that happened, Tina said she kept asking herself. “They went too deep into it and missed the point all at the same time.”

“At one point,” said Jamie, “a girl at my table actually had to get up and leave because video after video they showed black people being assaulted by police or black people being verbally assaulted and white people being racially biased toward people of color. It offended her. She left after that.”

Though Starbucks attempted to get people to confront stereotypes and unconscious biases with the new phrase, the exercise left Tina feeling singled out. “I feel like a lot of people of color were targeted [yesterday], and I know that wasn’t the whole objective of having that meeting,” said Tina. “Every activity focused on people of color and how they feel about their race.” Tina left all of the following questions in her journal blank, calling the exercise “just ridiculous”:

“Racism has been here before Starbucks, and racism will continue to be here after Starbucks,” said Jamie. “It’s weird they focused so heavily on how we feel about our racial identity, because how is that going to help me deal with a homeless person using drugs in my bathroom?”
https://www.phillymag.com/business/2018/05/30/starbucks-racial-bias-training-philadelphia/

Online shanebarry1986

• Veteran

That went out the window with trump and his thousands of lives.

But hey feel free to cry along with the white woman who called the police because some black folks were having a picnic in a public park.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10102198777444323&set=a.10100288868512133.2290424.15204075&type=3&theater

Or this lady, who got people fired for doing their jobs properly.

http://abcstlouis.com/news/nation-world/oregon-bakery-fires-employees-for-denying-black-woman-service-after-closing

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
Some Starbucks employees thought the anti-bias training they received was not very practical.

“The videos of cops knocking people down and fighting people were really disturbing,” Tina explained. “I told them I didn’t like the video and they told me they understood and that I was open to give my opinion.” What does watching videos about police brutality have to do with the situation that happened, Tina said she kept asking herself. “They went too deep into it and missed the point all at the same time.”

“At one point,” said Jamie, “a girl at my table actually had to get up and leave because video after video they showed black people being assaulted by police or black people being verbally assaulted and white people being racially biased toward people of color. It offended her. She left after that.”

Though Starbucks attempted to get people to confront stereotypes and unconscious biases with the new phrase, the exercise left Tina feeling singled out. “I feel like a lot of people of color were targeted [yesterday], and I know that wasn’t the whole objective of having that meeting,” said Tina. “Every activity focused on people of color and how they feel about their race.” Tina left all of the following questions in her journal blank, calling the exercise “just ridiculous”:

“Racism has been here before Starbucks, and racism will continue to be here after Starbucks,” said Jamie. “It’s weird they focused so heavily on how we feel about our racial identity, because how is that going to help me deal with a homeless person using drugs in my bathroom?”
https://www.phillymag.com/business/2018/05/30/starbucks-racial-bias-training-philadelphia/

Yes, I wonder how many of those videos of police assaulting black people skipped the first first part of the video where the black person was being obnoxious and resisting arrest and jumped straight to the part where the evil white guy was trying to get them on the floor to cuff them.

Offline CDW

• Hero of Waygookistan

It's a true case of bias when you kick out someone because of their politics even when they are willing to pay. Will there be any sensitivity training for employees at Red Hen? I doubt it.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook

It's a true case of bias when you kick out someone because of their politics even when they are willing to pay. Will there be any sensitivity training for employees at Red Hen? I doubt it.
Not only did they deny her service, her family was followed to another restaurant and heckled.  Never tell me how tolerant the Left is.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jun/25/mike-huckabee-red-hen-owner-followed-sanders-famil/

Online JNM

• The Legend

To be fair, she was judged by the content of her character, not the color of her skin.

Not only did they deny her service, her family was followed to another restaurant and heckled.  Never tell me how tolerant the Left is.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jun/25/mike-huckabee-red-hen-owner-followed-sanders-famil/

Tolerance only works if it is reciprocal. It hasn't been that way (right or left facing) for a while.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
If you don't want to be heckled and barred from restaurants maybe don't go around lying in defense of fascism. It's really not that hard.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
If you don't want to be heckled and barred from restaurants maybe don't go around lying in defense of fascism. It's really not that hard.
Fascism. Right.

Name one right you've had that's been constricted under Trump. You've had mass marches that take place with government protection. A media that has all but one major news network airing nonstop critical coverage of Trump. No mandatory conscription and the most militant thing Trump has suggested is his cartoonish Space Force idea. You're free to rant about Trump on social media and people will cheer (unlike the people who praise him, who get hounded by the mob). You're free to go out and vote and if you're to be believed a blue wave+Mueller is about to make Trump an irrelevancy.

But it's "fascism". Okay. Sure. Whatever people need to make their lives feel dramatic.

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
I can see why they didn't want to serve her due to the many, many lies she tells in service of trump, but I think they should have bit their tongues and served her. Or course, there's nothing saying they couldn't have made her wait and wait for a table/food and if they had any folks of color/immigrants working in the kitchen letting them know whose order it was.

As for neilsen and miller (IIRC), going to Mexican restaurants while their boss is calling Mexicans animals, they deserved to be heckled.

Offline gagevt

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Expert Waygook
  • "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives"
This topic is now locked because of off-topic content.

Don't feed the trolls folks and don't take the bait. :wink:
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."