October 20, 2018, 08:29:52 AM

Author Topic: City Hall Contract advice  (Read 404 times)

Offline lelsasser

• Veteran
City Hall Contract advice
« on: March 22, 2018, 02:13:57 PM »
Hello, so I have been working at a public school in Gyeonggi-do this past year and my co-teacher told me that the principle and vice principle would like to offer another year contract to me (it's not official yet, but they have told her). I actually would like to stay another year but wonder if there is room for negotiation. It is a GEPIK contract (they use the GEPIK contract, but are not a part of GEPIK/EPIK) but my funding comes from city hall. I would like to negotiate for more pay than what is usually stated in the GEPIK contract after one year and to switch accommodations- they had to find my place last minute so I live in a very small one room (technically a goshitel, but it is quite large for a goshitel). The contract for the place will end when my first contract with the school finishes. Does anyone else have experience with this? Your advice/insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! ^^
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 02:51:27 PM by lelsasser »

Offline thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: City Hall Contract advice
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 02:30:52 PM »
You'd probably have more luck using the contract they use and then add adjustments to it, rather than just using a different template altogether. Just my thoughts I've never tried it. As for housing offer to find your own place within their budget. But is the current housing contract ending too? May be a cancellation fee.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 02:37:37 PM »
I am not a teacher, but I do work as a contractor.

What they will/can change depends on the authority of whomever you are negotiating with.

It may be that they have no authority at all or full discretion.

They may not be as bound by policy as the large employers are, but they might lack confidence to deviate from the template.

What I would recommend is letting your boss know your needs.

If they arenít in the draft they give you, mark it up and send it back.

Best of luck.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 02:45:13 PM »
I doubt you'll get a raise on something more than you're allowed.  EPIK and GEPIK don't work like that, so even city hall budget schools don't work like that. 

Housing is a different matter.  Like Thunderlips said about the housing contract, it can easily be up to you to find somewhere if it is coming to an end.  Did they find your current house early into your first contract?  If so you could probably make a move when you find out when it finishes.  I've done this a couple of times without problem.  I've also moved house once where I left two months early and paid the money.  Which was fine.  Very doable, without hassle.

Offline fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 11:42:41 AM »
 You can demand and ask for whatever you want. Just make sure you have a back up plan in case things go south. These city hall contracts are notoriously unpredictable. There is also a big push in Gyeonggi province to unify all the NET's under the new and improved EPIK banner. GEPIK has long been on life support. However just when you think that ship has finally sunk Korvia comes out with an impending new deal and revitalizes this sleeping dragon. With the last talk I had with my co-teacher I thought that GEPIK had gone to rest next to the Titanic.

Well good luck and consider yourself lucky you have survived but remain on the endangered NET's list.

Also bear in mind the more you ask for the more you are making yourself vulnerable to future layoffs that Gyeonggi province is notorious for.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 01:33:35 PM by fishead »