June 21, 2018, 04:34:56 PM

Author Topic: Just got back from Cambodia. if you need any info let me know.  (Read 1671 times)

Online cashclay

• Veteran
Actually ive been there about 4 to 5 times and trying to save up money and also a to find a job so that I could move out there.  Granted it might not be as high class as korea but where it fails on that note, i think it beats out korean on everything else.  First the scenery is amazing. Angkor Wat was a must.  Two days is what I recommend to view all  of it.  Second, the people.  Incredibly laid back and yes while koreans are very friendly, the laid back atmosphere of cambodia is so pleasant.  And of course who can argue, the price.  Unbelievably cheap on pretty much anything you want.  Beers, rooms, nightlife, girls  (yes i know ),  tour packages, and products.  I got a brand new north face backpack for 20usd.  And it wasnt fake.  From what I hear is that the stitching were slightly wrong and when i say slightly, the women had to find it for me, it was that small.   
Not to mention the amount of foreigners there.  Itaewon doesnt even come close.  So many of them just chilling out, dirnking, laughing and having a great time. 
I miss the place already and cant wait to go back for my 6th time.
Oh by the way, dont worry about the visa.  When you land at the airport, there is an office as you get near to the exit.  Wait in line, everyone does it.  It takes about 1 to 2 minutes and costs around 25 usd. 
The guesthouses,  for decent ones at least, costs between 10 to 30 usd per night.  Get one with an a/c. trust me a fan wont cut it. Also makes sure you get a room in the Daun Penh district.  Thats where the riverside and all the action is ; otherwise you'll have to take a tuk tuk to get there.  Its cheap but it can be a 15 to 20 min drive whereas a room in Daun Penh is literally a walk out of your hotel room.
When you exit the airport, you will be swarmed by millions of tuk tuk.  Remember that a trip from the airport to daun penh area shouldnt cost oyu more than 10.  Some of the tuks tuks want to over charge in the 20 to 25 range. 

But while you are there. Ask the tuk tuk driver for an all day tour.  He'll take you to all of the mjor sites including the killings fields( an area where many cambodians were executed during the Pol Pot regime).  This tour shouldnt cost you more than 25$. Anything more, just walk away.   However lunch, although you dont have to, you should by him some as well.  Believe me you wont even notice a dent.  A favorite amongst the Cambodians is a rice/ grilled beef plate, sided with some cucumbers and a delicious sauce, goes for around 1.25 USD.  Yep you read that correctly. 

Anyways you gusy have been so helpful to me on this site, I thought I should reciprocate.  Ask me anything about Cambodia, yes even the seedier sides of it.   

Online grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
Re: Just got back from Cambodia. if you need any info let me know.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 09:12:49 PM »
Pizza still good?
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Online cashclay

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 10:48:11 AM »
Yeah the happy pizza?  Its still good. Plenty of stores that sell them

Online plan b

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 01:40:12 PM »

I'm not sure Cambodia is that great of a place to live. I do think its a much better place to visit.
This is based on the following reasons:

1) The American dollar is the de facto currency. That means things are more expensive.

2) You are seen as a walking ATM by the locals. You are rich according to them. Both adults and children will try to separate you from every last dollar/won that you have made.

3) No sidewalks in this country..none....walking around is not exactly a pleasant experience

4) Almost no local transportation...and a ride in a tuk tuk can be an opportunity to breathe in all those fumes from motorbikes

However, even though people were poorer than in Korea, they seemed more happy, and without the frowns Koreans wear daily.

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 02:34:25 PM »

I'm not sure Cambodia is that great of a place to live. I do think its a much better place to visit.
This is based on the following reasons:

1) The American dollar is the de facto currency. That means things are more expensive.

2) You are seen as a walking ATM by the locals. You are rich according to them. Both adults and children will try to separate you from every last dollar/won that you have made.

3) No sidewalks in this country..none....walking around is not exactly a pleasant experience

4) Almost no local transportation...and a ride in a tuk tuk can be an opportunity to breathe in all those fumes from motorbikes

However, even though people were poorer than in Korea, they seemed more happy, and without the frowns Koreans wear daily.

I can think of several countries that are exactly the same; this is what you get from corruption at every level.

You forgot to throw in massive heat and humidity, roads that flood, bag snatching, frequent theft, a police force that won’t do a thing if a foreigner experiences crime, poor infrastructure, a non existent health system but hey, it’s got cheap beer, impoverished girls that hooker themselves to fat balding men and some nice temples. Wanna live there? Live and let live.

Online oinclark

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 08:09:09 AM »
I'm heading to Cambodia in August. Most likely spending a week in Siem Reap. To be honest I haven't done much research into it yet so I don't have any specific questions, but very excited!

Recommendations of places to stay and things to see (other than angkor wat) would be great! If i think of more questions I'll come back here to ask ^^

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 09:12:02 AM »
I'm heading to Cambodia in August. Most likely spending a week in Siem Reap. To be honest I haven't done much research into it yet so I don't have any specific questions, but very excited!

Recommendations of places to stay and things to see (other than angkor wat) would be great! If i think of more questions I'll come back here to ask ^^

https://www.travelfish.org/country/cambodia

Offline Thomas Mc

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 10:55:23 AM »
Wow. You really do a good job of selling Cambodia to me.  I wish I was there now.

I think sihanoukville is a place I could go back to again and again. I can't say the same for Penom Penn (once you seen the killing fields etc once you don't want to see it again)

So OP where is it you regularly return to? Also am I being paranoid in avoiding the more out of the way places out of fear of malaria infection?

Offline Stephensalz

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 11:04:13 AM »

The OP said 2 days in Siem Reap, and while I think that may be too few, a whole week in Siem Reap is also quite long, unless you are planning to do day trips around the area/ rent a scooter and whatever else.  The actual city doesn't have that much going on, and the temple complex is about a 4 day as absolute maximum in my opinion.

Offline 02sanupp

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 12:02:05 PM »
I'd recommend Kampot and Rabbit Island (Kep).

Online Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 01:00:10 PM »

The OP said 2 days in Siem Reap, and while I think that may be too few, a whole week in Siem Reap is also quite long, unless you are planning to do day trips around the area/ rent a scooter and whatever else.  The actual city doesn't have that much going on, and the temple complex is about a 4 day as absolute maximum in my opinion.
Three days for the temples of Angkor is about right, plus an additional day if you want to hit up the war museum and etc. 

The beaches east of Sihanoukville are quite nice, like Otres.  I stayed two nights in Kep this time through, and I can't recommend it, TBH.  The beach is about 1 mile long at most--the sand is nice and the waves gentle, but locals absolutely dominate half of it (one very much gets the feeling that "our" end is over there).

Offline fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 01:05:05 PM »
 There are lots of scams involving the Thai Cambodian border. These are usually involved with travellers from Pattaya and Bangkok. Lots of package tours will arrange for you to get a visa at a local restaurant at a small border town. You will pay triple the actual visa cost and you will endure the stress of handing your passport over to a complete stanger. This is officially illegal however there are so many people collecting Backshish from this the authorities look the other way. Many tour groups will insist you follow through with this or leave you stranded.

The package tours on the other hand a quite affordable and allow you to just cruise through on auto pilot and enjoy your trip.

Online cashclay

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 03:47:13 PM »
Wow. You really do a good job of selling Cambodia to me.  I wish I was there now.

I think sihanoukville is a place I could go back to again and again. I can't say the same for Penom Penn (once you seen the killing fields etc once you don't want to see it again)

So OP where is it you regularly return to? Also am I being paranoid in avoiding the more out of the way places out of fear of malaria infection?

I regularly go to Phnom Penh. I just love the atmosphere there.  So laid and chill not to mention its where all the nightlife is.  Ive been to Kampot and it was a smaller version of phnom penh; both in energy and size. But nonetheless really great.  I dont think you would need any kind of malaria shots, as I have never gotten any myself and had been to all corners of the country.  But perhaps, you could to be on the safe side. 

Online cashclay

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 03:56:06 PM »

Actaully now that I think of it yes maybe more than 2 days.  What Ive seen and heard is Angkor Wat is a godsend for peopple who lve photography.  Another thing I recommend is to get a tour guide.  I think mine cost around 20 usd for the entire day or you can join but I suggest going with just friends and the tour.  In Siem Reap, the nightlife or place to see other than Angkor Wat would have to Pub Street.  There are plenty of guesthouses there, ranging from 5 usd to 40 usd a night.  Remember to get one with an a/c.  Trust me, youll need it and its only around 5usd for it.  Unfortunately when I went to Siem Reap, i stayed with a friends family so I wouldnt be able to recommend a guesthouse or hostel.  I do know theres plenty.  Another thing, if youre really tight on budget, is not to book it in advance.  But show up.  The thing about this is that you can actually tour the room beforehand and its cheaper.  They sometimes boost their prices on the internet due to the fact that they know its foreigners looking at it.  They believe all foreigners have banks vaults to house their money.  Dont worry about crime.  I have never seen anyone get mugged nor have I heard about it.  This goes for everywhere in Cambodia.  Of course thats not to say you shouldnt be careful but considering its a third world country, the presumed apprehension to it shouldnt be as high. Or at least thats what I think.  The Cambodian people are some of the warmest and kindest people on Earth.

Offline leaponover

• Super Waygook
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 04:53:17 PM »
What would you recommend for people over 40 who actually want to sleep in a comfy bed with lots of space and not in a bunk room ass to face with some drunk dude?

Do they have any nice accommodations like resort style that you could recommend?

Offline CDW

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2018, 06:29:53 AM »
Cambodia could be a nice place to live if you had an online job teaching English. I know someone who makes $3000+ USD a month doing that. You could live very well in Cambodia on that. It costs about $300 for a one year visa.

Offline DebbieTeacher

• Waygookin
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2018, 10:20:38 AM »
Cambodia could be a nice place to live if you had an online job teaching English. I know someone who makes $3000+ USD a month doing that. You could live very well in Cambodia on that. It costs about $300 for a one year visa.

Do you know the name of the site? is it teaching Chinese children?

Online cashclay

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2018, 07:20:38 PM »
What would you recommend for people over 40 who actually want to sleep in a comfy bed with lots of space and not in a bunk room ass to face with some drunk dude?

Do they have any nice accommodations like resort style that you could recommend?

There are plenty of boutique hotels.  If you go on sites like booking.com you could find a slew of them.  I stayed at a very nice place for about 40$. Wifi, ac, a outdoor pool, nice room and comfy, free breakfast int he morning.  I forgot what the name was though.  Just look on bookings.com.  Theres plenty of them.  Just remember to select a hotel in duan penh area of phnom penh .  Daun penh is where all of the action is. Nightlife and things like that

Offline leaponover

• Super Waygook
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2018, 01:32:08 PM »

There are plenty of boutique hotels.  If you go on sites like booking.com you could find a slew of them.  I stayed at a very nice place for about 40$. Wifi, ac, a outdoor pool, nice room and comfy, free breakfast int he morning.  I forgot what the name was though.  Just look on bookings.com.  Theres plenty of them.  Just remember to select a hotel in duan penh area of phnom penh .  Daun penh is where all of the action is. Nightlife and things like that

Thanks!

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/