September 24, 2018, 02:09:45 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Customs ID number for online purchases  (Read 985 times)

Offline tommyb.goode

• Veteran
Customs ID number for online purchases
« on: March 13, 2018, 10:00:21 AM »
Hey guys and girls,

I've ordered stuff off amazon before and other sites like ebay and never seen this before. Now Amazon is asking for a customs ID number.

Do I need to fill this in and if you, do you have instructions on how to get one? I found a Korean website for this via an old reddit post but I'm not sure how to do this, how to put it in English (if possible) and if it's even necessary.

Thanks people!

Offline slycordinator

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Customs ID number for online purchases
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 11:09:29 AM »
I've read that you can use the code F+(country code)+PASSPORT#. F here stands for foreign.

So, if you're from the US, it'd be FUSXXXXXXXXX where all the X's represent your passport number.

Although, you will likely find reshipping companies are much cheaper than using amazon directly. When I was here before, amazon said they shipped to Korea for a product and the price came to about $130 for a small item. I paid somewhere in the $30's for it through fishisfast. They give you a US address to ship to and then they will hold the stuff to consolidate. There are several other similar companies, although this was cheapest for me when I lived here before.

Offline Stephensalz

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 11:44:49 AM »
I've read that you can use the code F+(country code)+PASSPORT#. F here stands for foreign.

So, if you're from the US, it'd be FUSXXXXXXXXX where all the X's represent your passport number.

Although, you will likely find reshipping companies are much cheaper than using amazon directly. When I was here before, amazon said they shipped to Korea for a product and the price came to about $130 for a small item. I paid somewhere in the $30's for it through fishisfast. They give you a US address to ship to and then they will hold the stuff to consolidate. There are several other similar companies, although this was cheapest for me when I lived here before.

I haven't done it yet, but I've heard that if you have Amazon Prime, some sellers ship free internationally.  You do have to pay customs if you order through them, with what I believe is a 15% fee tacked on to the price of your order. 

Offline slycordinator

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 11:52:12 AM »
By the way, at the time I referred to, I had prime, which meant I had a shipping price domestically of maybe $5, but when I put in to ship to my Korean address, it ballooned to over $130, which would've guaranteed I pay duties (as you pay duties when you get to over $150).

But with the reshipper meant I was under the limits to need to pay duties.

Offline Nokcha

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 12:53:04 PM »
I've used my passport number and it's worked fine.

Offline klingki

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 12:56:43 PM »
Amazon has a global shipping option now that I don't think they had a couple years ago.  Not all products have it as an option, but most of the stuff sold by Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon seems to have it.  I ordered about $150 dollars worth of stuff a while back, and shipping was only like $6 (and then there was a small import fee).  And I'm not even Prime.  Amazon is pretty legit these days for shipping to Korea.

For the customs ID number, I can't tell exactly what I put in there because Amazon has starred most of it out, but it appears to be my ARC number plus an extra digit.  Either I had to stick a letter at the front, or I included the dash.  Wish I could remember what I did exactly, but it has worked with no problems for a long time now.

Offline tommyb.goode

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 01:18:57 PM »
Thanks all, good to know!!