September 22, 2018, 03:59:54 AM

Author Topic: Can you open an American bank account from korea?  (Read 592 times)

Offline cashclay

• Veteran
Can you open an American bank account from korea?
« on: March 11, 2018, 02:52:22 PM »
I need to open one up.  Was thinking about citibank.  If i cant its gonna be one hell of ride to open one lol.  Has anyone else done this?  I am an American citizen with all of the necessary documents.  I think you need a passport , ssn, and a residential address.

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Can you open an American bank account from korea?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 08:38:58 AM »
Yes. I have opened two. One with Capital One 360, but they don't have international transfer options. And the second with Alliant Credit Union, this bank has been great so far. Wire transfers are free and they allow me to use my Korean address for mail correspondences, i.e. new check cards etc.

Offline tadpole511

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 08:43:09 AM »
Opened my USAA account from Korea. I did have to call them to finish the set up (one of their security protocols), and that phone bill was a little high, but once you get it set up, you can pretty much do everything from online.

Offline cashclay

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 11:36:26 AM »
Which bank did you use? and what type of documents do you need to provide.  I have the ssn, passport and proof of address through a phone bill or credit card statement

Offline cashclay

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 11:44:26 AM »
I dont think Alliant credid union has a brnch here in korea.  Also what type of documents were needed to open with them?

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 11:46:08 AM »
Which bank did you use? and what type of documents do you need to provide.  I have the ssn, passport and proof of address through a phone bill or credit card statement

Yes. I have opened two. One with Capital One 360, but they don't have international transfer options. And the second with Alliant Credit Union, this bank has been great so far. Wire transfers are free and they allow me to use my Korean address for mail correspondences, i.e. new check cards etc.

Opened my USAA account from Korea. I did have to call them to finish the set up (one of their security protocols), and that phone bill was a little high, but once you get it set up, you can pretty much do everything from online.

I dont think Alliant credid union has a brnch here in korea.  Also what type of documents were needed to open with them?

Internet + google = all your answers

https://www.alliantcreditunion.com/Applications/eligibility/Donate  make a donation to this charity to become qualified to open an account
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 11:48:18 AM by thunderlips »

Offline slycordinator

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 12:00:23 PM »
By the way, the link that he gave for donating to charity won't work unless you click "Become a member" and click on "Another way to qualify" a few times. But it appears you qualify for that credit union if you donate at least $10 US to their associated foster care charity.

Offline leaponover

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 05:43:08 PM »
I opened up Citibank account in the US online from Korea.  I don't think I needed to provide any documents at all.  IT was simple and easy.

Offline cashclay

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 09:32:34 PM »
did you bc i just called them and they told me i have to be physically present.  jesus christ i thought that guy was a little weird.  How long ago was this?

Offline slycordinator

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 07:20:49 AM »
If you try to do it online from Korea, they'll detect your IP. Use a VPN and they'll likely not realize you're here.

Offline gurudanny98

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 09:36:42 AM »
3 years ago, I opened up an account from Ally Bank without any problems