June 18, 2018, 11:44:53 AM

Author Topic: There are some real knobhead foreigners in Korea  (Read 7412 times)

Online Cyanea

• Super Waygook
Re: There are some real knobhead foreigners in Korea
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2018, 02:28:27 PM »
Foreigners tend to whine and complain a lot. Which gets old real quick.

I get the impression a lot of waegs in Korea haven't really travelled much.
Catch my drift?

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2018, 06:41:47 AM »
I know plenty of business owners who purposely avoid doing things that would attract foreigners because of the difficulties it brings.  Seems in Korea you either have to cater to Korean, or cater to foreigners, hard to do both.

My sister in law, who works in the Irish service industry says much the same thing about the travelling community over there. Needless to say this is considered highly offensive and racist by a lot of people who don't work in the service industry.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2018, 07:01:45 AM »
I know plenty of business owners who purposely avoid doing things that would attract foreigners because of the difficulties it brings.  Seems in Korea you either have to cater to Korean, or cater to foreigners, hard to do both.

My sister in law, who works in the Irish service industry says much the same thing about the travelling community over there. Needless to say this is considered highly offensive and racist by a lot of people who don't work in the service industry.

When I hear somebody say "(X) people are the worst tourists" it is usually based on the fact that (X) is the biggest tourist market for their area.

Edit: the system didnít like X in square brackets.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:46:00 AM by JNM »

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2018, 08:59:59 AM »

When I hear somebody say "
  • people are the worst tourists" it is usually based on the fact that
  • is the biggest tourist market for their area.
Not in this case. The settled community is the biggest market.

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2018, 02:42:09 PM »
Some of the more wordly and mature folk donít want to stand out; they donít seek attention, feel secure within themselves and enjoy their simple life. You also have the attention seeking younger brigade; trying in vain to be noticed, to be seen as cool, hip,or cutting edge, but not having the presence of mind to realize theyíre standing out for the wrong reasons and inadvertently embarrassing their fellow foreigners.

Online sojuadventurer

• Veteran
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2018, 03:06:16 PM »
Some of the more wordly and mature folk donít want to stand out; they donít seek attention, feel secure within themselves and enjoy their simple life. You also have the attention seeking younger brigade; trying in vain to be noticed, to be seen as cool, hip,or cutting edge, but not having the presence of mind to realize theyíre standing out for the wrong reasons and inadvertently embarrassing their fellow foreigners.

Holy crap, is this ever how I feel.... #oldfart

Online tadpole511

• Veteran
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2018, 03:18:26 PM »

Me too. And I'm mid 20s. Can we just call me an "old soul"? I'm not ready for "old fart" status yet.

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2018, 03:23:06 PM »

Me too. And I'm mid 20s. Can we just call me an "old soul"? I'm not ready for "old fart" status yet.

Embrace the old fart within you. Work with it; not against it. #noneedtostandoutlikeatwatinaforeigncountry

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2018, 03:25:01 PM »

"Old fart" has a lot more personality. It shouts, "I've seen some things, man, and some stu-ff."

"Old soul" is basically a fart going through a mid-life crisis.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 05:16:25 PM by Chinguetti »

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2018, 01:03:28 PM »
The problem is not simply being bad here, but they likely don't know how to behave back home (again this applies to tourists of all races). The glorified bums you see drinking soju on the train floor in their hippy-trash clothing are likely similar riff-raff back home. The guy who runs across naked during a baseball game here is likely the guy who does it back home. The guy who butts in here probably butts in back home. Same with the Korean tourists. That Korean tourist that litters everywhere overseas and treats people like crap, probably does that here. Same with the ajumma who takes out everyone boarding a subway when on vacation, she probably does it here.

So why are some foreigners acting this way? Bad parenting and bad media influences. Prank culture. Slob culture. Spring Break culture. Backpacker culture. Center of Attention Culture. The second they started letting riff-raff onto airplanes, things were finished. Those people should have to take 3rd class ocean liners to go to other countries. If you try to board a plane in sandals and haven't showered- DENIED.

I am NOT saying that western tourists/expats are the only ones who do this- Korean tourists do it plenty, but there is a strong tendency of some people here to think they're the "star" of some personal movie about their journey in Korea and to subtly view the locals as objects for their amusement instead of genuinely viewing them as real people (and again, Koreans do this plenty to many expats).

The worst thing though is that whenever Koreans in some form or another make it clear that they aren't happy with some expat intruding into whatever it is they're doing (crashing their table, trying to dance with their group, doing some prank on them, whatever) the instant reaction is "They're being racist". That might be true. A lot of times, it's just that the person is being an asshole and they don't want to spend their next 2 hours of their life having to entertain them and be guest stars in their personal movie. 

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2018, 01:26:20 PM »
The second they started letting riff-raff onto airplanes, things were finished. Those people should have to take 3rd class ocean liners to go to other countries. If you try to board a plane in sandals and haven't showered- DENIED.

Waygook.org user Mr.DeMartino, you are a treasure.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2018, 01:33:09 PM »
The problem is not simply being bad here, but they likely don't know how to behave back home (again this applies to tourists of all races). The glorified bums you see drinking soju on the train floor in their hippy-trash clothing are likely similar riff-raff back home. The guy who runs across naked during a baseball game here is likely the guy who does it back home. The guy who butts in here probably butts in back home. Same with the Korean tourists. That Korean tourist that litters everywhere overseas and treats people like crap, probably does that here. Same with the ajumma who takes out everyone boarding a subway when on vacation, she probably does it here.

So why are some foreigners acting this way? Bad parenting and bad media influences. Prank culture. Slob culture. Spring Break culture. Backpacker culture. Center of Attention Culture. The second they started letting riff-raff onto airplanes, things were finished. Those people should have to take 3rd class ocean liners to go to other countries. If you try to board a plane in sandals and haven't showered- DENIED.

I am NOT saying that western tourists/expats are the only ones who do this- Korean tourists do it plenty, but there is a strong tendency of some people here to think they're the "star" of some personal movie about their journey in Korea and to subtly view the locals as objects for their amusement instead of genuinely viewing them as real people (and again, Koreans do this plenty to many expats).

The worst thing though is that whenever Koreans in some form or another make it clear that they aren't happy with some expat intruding into whatever it is they're doing (crashing their table, trying to dance with their group, doing some prank on them, whatever) the instant reaction is "They're being racist". That might be true. A lot of times, it's just that the person is being an asshole and they don't want to spend their next 2 hours of their life having to entertain them and be guest stars in their personal movie.

Not sure I agree. This tourist, for example, probably wouldn't have done this kind of thing on a day trip to Windsor castle. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5494825/Naked-woman-spark-fury-Thai-island-rubbing-penis-stone.html

People behave differently when they get out of their usual bubble.

Offline Andyman

• Veteran
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2018, 01:49:20 PM »
And the attention-seeking is amped up by their new identity as Mr. or Ms. International Traveller. Look at all the tedious vlogs produced by English teachers in Korea.

"Hey everybody, so today I thought I'd take you on a tour of my apartment..."

"Hey everyone! So this is Day 3 of our trip to Jeonju."

"Hi everybody! So today I thought I'd show you a cat cafe."

"Remember to subscribe!" (Cue terrible royalty-free music)

Come to Korea - everyone's a star!

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2018, 02:00:11 PM »
Not sure I agree. This tourist, for example, probably wouldn't have done this kind of thing on a day trip to Windsor castle. 
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5494825/Naked-woman-spark-fury-Thai-island-rubbing-penis-stone.html
Naked man caught climbing out of Buckingham Palace window.
Her hubby, maybe?

Buckingham Palace, Windsor palace... same same. And yeah, the video was probably faked. Still funny though!

Offline AlivePoet

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2018, 02:17:00 PM »
Hmm, lots of people here are easily irritated. Not condoning foreigners acting stupid, but if Koreans are going to judge you based on the odd foreigner acting like a douche bag or homeless person, good for them, I guess. You'll get judged based on appearance alone anyway, regardless of your actions.

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2018, 02:20:01 PM »
And the attention-seeking is amped up by their new identity as Mr. or Ms. International Traveller. Look at all the tedious vlogs produced by English teachers in Korea.

"Hey everybody, so today I thought I'd take you on a tour of my apartment..."

"Hey everyone! So this is Day 3 of our trip to Jeonju."

"Hi everybody! So today I thought I'd show you a cat cafe."

"Remember to subscribe!" (Cue terrible royalty-free music)

Here are 5 things I love about Korea

Here are 5 things I hate about Korea.

Today weíre going on a trip. Weíre going to take some drone footage and put some cheesy music over the top. Donít forget to hit that sunscribe button.

Today Iím going to show you a lesson. Watch me show PPT slides for 40 mins and make jokes.

Hereís us eating Korean pancake and drinking maekolli.

Pros and cons of hagwon Vs public school.

Our trip to Tawian with more cheesy music. .

Online Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2018, 02:26:56 PM »
On Saturday, there was a foreign guy, who looked around 50, where I was in Seoul, asking foreigners if they teach in Korea. And screaming at them when they said yes. Saying that they are wasting their time and stuff here now and just getting angry at them if they were.
That's really the only bad thing I have seen.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2018, 02:30:31 PM »
Back in the old days actors and players were seen as little more than traveling prostitutes save for a few respected types with roots in academia who could pass amongst society. We had decent moments through the 60s, then things went down hill when Hollywood got too full of itself. I think it happened when they stopped volunteering for military service ala Brig. General Jimmy Stewart and Maj. Clark Gable. No one gives a crap about your stupid tourist odyssey. I guess some of these people are too young to remember being subjected to Carousel slide shows of Aunt Helen's trip to Salt Lake City to realize what utter torture they are for people forced to watch them. You're competing for my internet time with World Star Hip Hop and Donald Trump, do you think you're going to win that battle?

Taking photos before dinner of your food. Selfies. Yoga pants. Couchsurfing. Molesting statues. Who the heck raised these kids and let them think this was okay? I drink and I don't do dumb crap like that. You want to do that sort of thing, go join some private orgy club where all you freaks do whatever it is you do behind closed doors.

Maybe we should try to set up some sort of bumville for tourists. They can walk barefoot amongst their own trash and filth, with their stupid carry on dogs and their sherpa-sized backpacks. Hopefully we can put in a tsunami zone so they can film a selfie of themselves right before some big wave turns them into a telethon.

Offline AlivePoet

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2018, 02:37:34 PM »
Taking photos before dinner of your food. Selfies. Yoga pants. Couchsurfing. Molesting statues. Who the heck raised these kids and let them think this was okay? I drink and I don't do dumb crap like that. You want to do that sort of thing, go join some private orgy club where all you freaks do whatever it is you do behind closed doors.

Why do these little things bother you so much?

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2018, 02:44:32 PM »
Back in the old days actors and players were seen as little more than traveling prostitutes save for a few respected types with roots in academia who could pass amongst society.

Knew it was gonna be a quality rant just by reading that sentence. Was not disappointed. Full marks.

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/