December 13, 2018, 09:19:13 PM

Author Topic: There are some real knobhead foreigners in Korea  (Read 8559 times)

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
Re: There are some real knobhead foreigners in Korea
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 11:37:51 AM »
There is a very small proportion of foreigners in Korea who want to be the center of attention of everything. Im not talking within the foreign community. That would be bad enough. I mean out in public in any situation there is some dick who wants everyone to look at him,  everyone to be like 'oh look a foreigner. Doing foreign things'.

Yesterday was a beautiful day. Perfect blue sky. Minimal air pollution. That kind of early spring feeling in the air. Some complete dork, who I know is a public school teacher in my city, is sitting in the middle of the path, where families, couples, old people are out enjoying a stroll. Sitting there strumming a guitar. Wasn't playing any songs just strumming and pissing about. Making everyone walk around him. Wasn't busking. Just wanted everyone to notice him.
You could see looks on people's faces were like 'why is this idiot foreigner sitting on the ground. Blocking the path. And generally looking homeless?'

Other annoying things I've seen foreigners do recently:

Some douche on the ktx wearing a mask and 'meditating'  while sitting on the ground in the area between carriages.

At the Gimhae cherry blossom festival there were two guys and a girl scream singing a song for some reason.

A guy practicing the bongo drums in a Pascucci cafe. The staff ended up telling him to stop or go away.

In before 'you're grouchy/a killjoy/old etc.

Bunch of dotards!!!

The guy probably had a long beard and a backpack.  (The finest of western culture.)

Offline puregreentea

• Adventurer
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 12:15:14 PM »
I'm just replying so I can applaud the use of the word 'knobhead' in the title. As a northern Brit it always makes me smile and think of home.

Online dukie

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 12:23:34 PM »
One time, I saw a group of foreign women talking excessively loud, not drunk on the subway. They were occupying the elderly seats and one girl was wearing flip flops, cutting her toenails. You had to be there to believe it.

Offline karimsenglish

• Newgookin
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2018, 01:02:56 PM »
I think it's just a matter of foreigners being in, well, a foreign country. Have you seen young Brits who visit continental Europe? Have you seen Koreans in SE Asia? It doesn't make a difference. People sometimes act like shit because they're not at home and thus feel like they are not accountable for their actions from anyone that actually knows them. Many people, from different places behave like this. They're just immature, nothing more. It doesn't have to do with anything else about where they're from (country, nationality, urban, suburban).

Offline leaponover

• Super Waygook
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2018, 05:29:26 PM »
Not long after that thread about a lack of Korean counterculture appeared on this site, I went to an underground techno night in my city, run by Koreans. It was going really well - good music played by genuine enthusiasts, no cheezy crowd-pleasing attempts, nice people... My wife and I were the only foreigners until about 10 arrived in a giant group and immediately dominated the space by acting like high school kids drunk for the first time. One girl was "gypsy dancing" in the middle of the dancefloor in a very cringeworthy effort to command the world's attention, while the guys all harassed the bartender, literally shoving their cups in his face and demanding refills. I had to leave within about 30 minutes of this due to embarrassment and the increasing possibility that I'd end up punching somebody.

The next weekend I went to Strange Fruit in Hongdae to see a couple bands who played before David Thomas Broughton, an English guy whose performance I admittedly enjoyed. However, he'd managed to attract a large posse of obnoxious foreigners who constantly shouted over the Korean acts, who were both excellent, but heavily compromised by the foreigners' "Hey, look at me!" bullshit, then stood respectfully silent when a white guy took the stage.

Sadly this isn't as out of the norm as one would think.  I know plenty of business owners who purposely avoid doing things that would attract foreigners because of the difficulties it brings.  Seems in Korea you either have to cater to Korean, or cater to foreigners, hard to do both.

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2018, 06:51:37 PM »
Seems in Korea you either have to cater to Korean, or cater to foreigners, hard to do both.

Westerners and Koreans both have their own types of annoying behavior.
Choose which one you hate less.

Personally I find Korean misbehavior more tolerable than the average waygooks.

Korean misbehavior falls somewhere between rude or disgusting, but waygooks get too aggressive and arrogant. 
Catch my drift?

Offline 02sanupp

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2018, 09:38:00 AM »
I personally think most of the knobhead foreigners in Korea are on waygook.

Offline 02sanupp

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2018, 10:09:52 AM »

I consider myself more of a t w a t than a knobhead.

Of course, there are exceptions like yourself Dave!

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2018, 10:31:14 AM »

really? i feel i'm more of a tosser

Offline fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2018, 10:35:52 AM »
There is a very small proportion of foreigners in Korea who want to be the center of attention of everything. Im not talking within the foreign community. That would be bad enough. I mean out in public in any situation there is some dick who wants everyone to look at him,  everyone to be like 'oh look a foreigner. Doing foreign things'.

Yesterday was a beautiful day. Perfect blue sky. Minimal air pollution. That kind of early spring feeling in the air. Some complete dork, who I know is a public school teacher in my city, is sitting in the middle of the path, where families, couples, old people are out enjoying a stroll. Sitting there strumming a guitar. Wasn't playing any songs just strumming and pissing about. Making everyone walk around him. Wasn't busking. Just wanted everyone to notice him.
You could see looks on people's faces were like 'why is this idiot foreigner sitting on the ground. Blocking the path. And generally looking homeless?'

Other annoying things I've seen foreigners do recently:

Some douche on the ktx wearing a mask and 'meditating'  while sitting on the ground in the area between carriages.

At the Gimhae cherry blossom festival there were two guys and a girl scream singing a song for some reason.

A guy practicing the bongo drums in a Pascucci cafe. The staff ended up telling him to stop or go away.

In before 'you're grouchy/a killjoy/old etc.

Why can't all those types just stay in BC.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2018, 10:44:38 AM »
The busker/panhandling market is pretty saturated over there. Need to spread our wings and find greener pastures!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 10:47:54 AM by kyndo »

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2018, 11:51:53 AM »

A right dirty bas tard this end.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2018, 01:12:02 PM »

A right dirty bas tard this end.

Swan kerb right here!

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2018, 01:18:27 PM »
Naff chavs, the lot o' ya!
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2018, 01:24:51 PM »
I think it's just a matter of foreigners being in, well, a foreign country. Have you seen young Brits who visit continental Europe? Have you seen Koreans in SE Asia? It doesn't make a difference. People sometimes act like shit because they're not at home and thus feel like they are not accountable for their actions from anyone that actually knows them. Many people, from different places behave like this. They're just immature, nothing more. It doesn't have to do with anything else about where they're from (country, nationality, urban, suburban).

Pretty much this. There's enough examples by everyone from every country around the world going to other countries and doing stuff like this.

I will say this, that for all of those people,regardless of background, when they go into countries where responses to such behavior can be more aggressive and violent by the natives, they tend not to do those things. People suddenly get their act together when clowning behavior is liable to bring out a few pickup trucks full of (if you're lucky) guys ready to fight and (if you're not), guys ready to shoot/abduct and behead.

Offline gurudanny98

• Veteran
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2018, 01:34:33 PM »
+I saw three foreigners on a subway train setting on the floor in a circle drinking beer and socializing

Offline Kolao

• Veteran
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2018, 02:02:38 PM »
Having taught in Korea for several years as well as two other Asian countries, and having met foreign teachers who have experience in a great many more countries, it does appear from my experience that Korea attracts more than its fair share of wackos.
When the wicked are confounded, and consigned to flames of woe, call me.

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2018, 02:28:27 PM »
Foreigners tend to whine and complain a lot. Which gets old real quick.

I get the impression a lot of waegs in Korea haven't really travelled much.
Catch my drift?

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2018, 06:41:47 AM »
I know plenty of business owners who purposely avoid doing things that would attract foreigners because of the difficulties it brings.  Seems in Korea you either have to cater to Korean, or cater to foreigners, hard to do both.

My sister in law, who works in the Irish service industry says much the same thing about the travelling community over there. Needless to say this is considered highly offensive and racist by a lot of people who don't work in the service industry.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2018, 07:01:45 AM »
I know plenty of business owners who purposely avoid doing things that would attract foreigners because of the difficulties it brings.  Seems in Korea you either have to cater to Korean, or cater to foreigners, hard to do both.

My sister in law, who works in the Irish service industry says much the same thing about the travelling community over there. Needless to say this is considered highly offensive and racist by a lot of people who don't work in the service industry.

When I hear somebody say "(X) people are the worst tourists" it is usually based on the fact that (X) is the biggest tourist market for their area.

Edit: the system didnít like X in square brackets.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:46:00 AM by JNM »