June 22, 2018, 07:04:22 PM

Author Topic: Best Hagwons! Need Help!  (Read 866 times)

Offline teacher_023

• Newgookin
Best Hagwons! Need Help!
« on: March 11, 2018, 02:50:23 AM »
Hello there! I am currently a teacher looking to teach abroad. I have a few years of experience.  I have been offered a position with a private language company in China as curriculum developer, but I am very interested in Korea. I am looking for a similar position to one that has been offered to me in China. What are the best private language companies? Have you heard things about First Leap in China? Any feedback helps!

Offline jen9180

• Newgookin
Re: Best Hagwons! Need Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 05:25:29 PM »
Cheondam
Avalon
Poly
These three instutudes are quite famous in Korea.

Offline bjinglee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 06:05:31 PM »
Skip hagwons and get a job at a public school.

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 09:37:50 PM »
What are the best private language companies?

Is there such a thing as a good hogwon?   :undecided:

Ok, some are better in certain ways. But what you gain on the swings you lose on the roundabouts. They all have their own set of advantages and disadvantages.

Catch my drift?

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 09:42:36 PM »
Hello there! I am currently a teacher looking to teach abroad. I have a few years of experience.  I have been offered a position with a private language company in China as curriculum developer, but I am very interested in Korea. I am looking for a similar position to one that has been offered to me in China. What are the best private language companies? Have you heard things about First Leap in China? Any feedback helps!

Do you have a CELTA? the British Council is hiring at the moment.

Offline ESLinsider

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 01:40:19 AM »
I wouldn't try to find the best hagwon by company name. I would try to find the best hagwon for you by talking to the teachers there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN2h84qN-RY
ESLinsider.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 05:49:57 AM »
Cheondam
Avalon
Poly
These three instutudes are quite famous in Korea.

Poly is famous for treating teachers like slaves

Avalon is famous for getting raided by immigration

And if you mean Chungdahm, LOL.

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 02:50:07 PM »
I would try to find the best hagwon for you by talking to the teachers there.

Not always effective. Hogwans tend to select waegs they know will be complicit. Any phonecalls between you will be conducted under their direct supervision.

There are plenty of uncle tom waygook sellouts out there.
Catch my drift?

Offline Andyman

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 03:50:05 PM »
^ Still, that approach is more useful than making a judgment based on a company name. OP, you'll hear this come up all the time, but for good reason - most hagwons are franchises, and the differences in quality are all down to the people who work there. Otherwise, it's just a question of textbooks and branding, which will ultimately mean very little to you as a teacher. My advice would be to choose maybe three cities that appeal most, join the local Facebook group and look for jobs that way. In theory that should give you more opportunity to communicate directly with the teacher you'd be replacing.

Or yeah, better yet, go for a British Council job.

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 07:20:25 AM »
I would try to find the best hagwon for you by talking to the teachers there.

Not always effective. Hogwans tend to select waegs they know will be complicit. Any phonecalls between you will be conducted under their direct supervision.

There are plenty of uncle tom waygook sellouts out there.

I can't agree with this more!  They will pick the one teacher that's a kiss-a** for the company and use them as a cheerleader for the company.  Believe me I seen it happen and I also had to praise a hellwon I was still employed with to my replacement because I was in the office at the time and the assistant director was an ear shot away.  >:( >:(

Online fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 11:28:58 AM »
 ECC fOR kids
Pagoda for adults

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/