August 17, 2018, 05:15:41 AM

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018

Author Topic: Who here went to the most recent EPIK orientation?  (Read 2328 times)

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
Who here went to the most recent EPIK orientation?
« on: March 07, 2018, 09:54:54 AM »
Thoughts?  I had to go as a GEPIKer to EPIKer.  And I have to say I thought the 9 day orientation was very effective and the classroom management class really helped me out!

Somethings I could have done without.  Living with a roommate for 9 days.  I get it there's a lot of us and we need to be 2 to a room but for someone who's been out of college for years, the whole feeling felt very juvenile.

The whole sitting with people lunch room ordeal.  I'm just there to eat and go.  It's not highschool.

Otherwise!  I met a lot of awesome people and I loved how my past experience and knowledge of life in Korea really helped some newbies.

AND I LOVED LOVED LOVED how a vast majority of noobs kind of came prepared about Korean culture too!  That really cut down on people saying ignorant stuff or making culture assumptions.  I guess we can thank the Hallyu wave for that! 

I can say it was a great experience!   ;D ;D

Online fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Who here went to the most recent EPIK orientation?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 11:32:45 AM »
 You  only had to go for five days. If you stayed longer someone lied to you. You should have arrived on the 23rd. The food was pretty bad. Overall it was pretty well prepared. It's certainly a far cry from the party days of cowboy days. Pretty much near impossible to fail the medical exam I maxed out the blood pressure machine at 180/100.

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 11:53:03 AM »
Yeah college campuses here in Korea have the blandest food.  I had to go for 9 days because it was my first time ever to go.  :sad:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 12:08:03 PM by Piggydee »

Online fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 01:13:36 PM »
Yeah college campuses here in Korea have the blandest food.  I had to go for 9 days because it was my girst time ever to go.  :sad:

There was a way you could have only done the five days. Since you were employed by GEPIK you could have opted to arrive on the 23rd. The one redeeming quality of the program I delt with a guy called Albert he seemed pretty laid back. The young pretty Korean University students who took care of us were super nice.

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 09:46:29 AM »
Yeah college campuses here in Korea have the blandest food.  I had to go for 9 days because it was my girst time ever to go.  :sad:

There was a way you could have only done the five days. Since you were employed by GEPIK you could have opted to arrive on the 23rd. The one redeeming quality of the program I delt with a guy called Albert he seemed pretty laid back. The young pretty Korean University students who took care of us were super nice.

Actually I asked an EPIK coordinator how those people qualified and he told me it was only for former EPIKers, and actually in my class I ran into other GEPIKers who were there since day one too.  So no one really lied to us. 

Offline slycordinator

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 07:57:35 AM »
For who had to go through the whole orientation or the shortened one, it was based on if you'd done an EPIK orientation previously or not.

And from what I saw, it seemed like it wasn't really based on how much of the orientation you "needed" to do, but based on when the mobile hospital was gonna be there to do the latecomer medical checkup since that was legally required (and you just had to stay for the rest of it).

Offline Daylightful

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 10:26:02 AM »
I was there as a new EPIK teacher!

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 07:15:32 AM »
I was there as a new EPIK teacher!

That's cool. How did you feel about it?

Offline Daylightful

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 07:43:03 AM »
It was informative I thought! Maybe a bit long days, and some classes I think could have been opted out but for the most part I found it useful!

Online fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 11:35:59 AM »
 There were actually 3 orientations in different cities. I was at the Konji University one. It was really well organised and all the speakers were really useful. The medical exam was really quick and was finished in less than 15 minutes. We had a really cool outing that consisted of making  Bibimbab and a tradition Korean craft plus a nice walk around a traditional Korean village. Overall the orientation was pretty enjoyable.

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 03:19:16 PM »
There were actually 3 orientations in different cities. I was at the Konji University one. It was really well organised and all the speakers were really useful. The medical exam was really quick and was finished in less than 15 minutes. We had a really cool outing that consisted of making  Bibimbab and a tradition Korean craft plus a nice walk around a traditional Korean village. Overall the orientation was pretty enjoyable.

I agree ;D

Offline lynnea.lenamond

• Explorer
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 07:34:10 AM »
I am new here too! We got lucky. While our university KNUE was in the middle of nowhere (Cheongju), we had OUR OWN ROOM! Plus, each individual room had wifi --blessed. As for the orientation itself, I thought it classes were either very useful, or completely unhelpful. There really was no in-between. The best classes were those with demonstrations and lots of examples! Food was good. Med exam was amazingly quick. Overall, I was happy with my orientation. It was stressful, but if I had been thrown into a classroom without it, I would have been a MESS! Plus, it was great to bond with people. Daegu crew forever!

Online fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 02:00:58 PM »
The most memorable moment was the sweet potatoe french fries  with a healthy load of sugar a culinary masterpiece that would certainly bring tears to the eyes of Gordon Ramsey.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 01:39:00 PM »
Been EPIK over a decade.  So grateful I never had to do one of those.  Yippee!!

Just curious, is Gyeong gi only elementary like Seoul or does it also have middle school and high school? 

Online fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 01:47:12 PM »

Just curious, is Gyeong gi only elementary like Seoul or does it also have middle school and high school?

I think some people have landed Secondary school jobs however there is a push to eliminate these positions by the supervisors in Suwon. You might be able to fly under the radar if you have a Secondary school job funded by  city hall. However these city hall jobs are few and far between these days

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 01:53:09 PM »

I think some people have landed Secondary school jobs however there is a push to eliminate these positions by the supervisors in Suwon. You might be able to fly under the radar if you have a Secondary school job funded by  city hall. However these city hall jobs are few and far between these days

I wouldn't mind trying to be closer to Seoul, but prefer Middle.  Elementary is ok a day or two a week.  (I'm doing it this semester.)  I prob will stay away then. 

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 02:15:09 PM »
Honestly though the orientation wasn't as bad as people painted it out to be.  I thought we going to talk about how to say 안녕하세요 (Hello in Korean) for an hour or how to use the bus system in Korea.  I saw the per-orientation stuff and was quaking in my boots thinking NO WAY are we going to be getting hours long lessons on how to open a bank account.   :huh: :huh:  I mean hell I know this is meant for noobs to Korea and noobs to public school but come on :huh: :huh: 

Thankfully, it wasn't like that at all and I came away with a lot of great info and insight to share with other teachers and staff.  I had a good time ;D

Online fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 02:52:53 PM »

I wouldn't mind trying to be closer to Seoul, but prefer Middle.  Elementary is ok a day or two a week.  (I'm doing it this semester.)  I prob will stay away then.

You might want to look into Gangnam office of Education. They hire direct you don't have to go through EPIK. They bulk hire too. You will be interviewed by a panel. It can be quite stressful but once you are chosen you can stay in there

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2018, 07:23:37 AM »

You might want to look into Gangnam office of Education. They hire direct you don't have to go through EPIK. They bulk hire too. You will be interviewed by a panel. It can be quite stressful but once you are chosen you can stay in there

The hard part is finding an opening. Many people have been there quite  a while, and don't want to leave. It seems they generally like candidates that have somewhat longer term plans in Korea, as well. You can also look into contacting many Offices of Education, and just send them a resume anyway. Wouldn't hurt. Gyeong-gi also has some private/public middle and high schools that hire. You would have to do some searching, but there are some areas with a pretty good foreigner community (Jeonja, Migeum, Seohyeon, Yatap, etc., areas)

Offline slycordinator

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 10:38:37 AM »
Also, individual schools might hire their own foreign teacher.

Here in Chungbuk, they don't hire for HS. I told my coordinator I was surprised to hear that, because there's a guy teaching at the HS on the same campus as one of my schools. He was the EPIK teacher at the school before the district took that policy and they wanted to keep him, so they decided to keep his salary in the budget...