September 23, 2018, 04:18:47 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: First day back to school blues.  (Read 2085 times)

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
First day back to school blues.
« on: March 02, 2018, 09:41:36 AM »
First day back to school blues.  New schools.  Off long vacation, you know how it is.  Thankfully no classes.  Ho hum. 

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
Re: First day back to school blues.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 10:50:20 AM »
I wish I knew my schedule! My MT and VP switched and so the new ones have yet to sort out a schedule. They said it could take about 2 weeks to settle. I guess it gives me more time to lesson plan  ;D

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 11:01:54 AM »
All good here. New co-teachers and the really shy and awkward teacher who used to sit at the desk next to mine has moved to another buidling.

Offline vanlianjoseph@gmail.com

• Waygookin
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 11:08:24 AM »
Every school has a shy and awkward teacher. Put them next to my desk. I can break them out of their shell.

Offline theman3285

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 11:20:05 AM »
Every school has a shy and awkward teacher.

Yup, that's me.

Offline OttoSilver

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 11:40:46 AM »
Today I found out I have not just two, but THREE co-teachers. One for 3rd grade, one for 4th and 5th grade, and one for 6th (I think). Only one of them shares this office with me along with a teacher who teaches something else. It is 12:30 and I'm yet to see either of the other teachers.

In this office where I sit we have three computers. One used to be the public computer. I have it now. It has no password, and for some reason, the English version of Hangeul Office has been removed. (MS Office is not allowed anymore.) Computer number two. for which I know the password, has no mouse. And the last computer with all the bits present has an unknown password.

My mission after lunch will be to find out who the hell my co-teachers are, what they plan to do over the next two weeks and how we are going to mesh what we do.

In the meantime, the school's student numbers increased again from last year. The school is much bigger than they anticipated from this area. They started building about 7 classrooms last year. These classrooms that are not finished yet. I have no idea where all the new students a kept at the moment.

On the positive side, I know my class schedule for next week.

Offline gagevt

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Expert Waygook
  • "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives"
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 11:48:08 AM »
Today I found out I have not just two, but THREE co-teachers. One for 3rd grade, one for 4th and 5th grade, and one for 6th (I think). Only one of them shares this office with me along with a teacher who teaches something else. It is 12:30 and I'm yet to see either of the other teachers.

In this office where I sit we have three computers. One used to be the public computer. I have it now. It has no password, and for some reason, the English version of Hangeul Office has been removed. (MS Office is not allowed anymore.) Computer number two. for which I know the password, has no mouse. And the last computer with all the bits present has an unknown password.

My mission after lunch will be to find out who the hell my co-teachers are, what they plan to do over the next two weeks and how we are going to mesh what we do.

In the meantime, the school's student numbers increased again from last year. The school is much bigger than they anticipated from this area. They started building about 7 classrooms last year. These classrooms that are not finished yet. I have no idea where all the new students a kept at the moment.

On the positive side, I know my class schedule for next week.

At two of my schools I teach with mostly homeroom teachers. Except for one school, third and fourth have a dedicated coteacher with me. So you know, just a casual 9 "coteachers" all with different styles and methods. ;D :cry:
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

Offline wanderlust8

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 11:58:06 AM »
I was given my schedule. Got my fave grades (I only teach 1-2 grades each semester). Told what to plan for Monday. Planned the lesson. Then got told that my schedule would be changing, I will now be teaching my least favourite grade, and I must plan something else for Monday.
3 more weeks. Just 3 more weeks

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 12:12:08 PM »
My school has boys and girls, but all the classes are either all boys or all girls. The students are assigned lockers based on their homeroom locations, and those are changed every year. For the past two years, the lockers in the hall outside my office were used by all-girls classes. This year, they're all boys, and the volume is already up a few decibels compared to previous years. I'm not saying teenage girls are never loud, of course, but man. Teenage boys are on another plane of noisiness.

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 12:36:11 PM »
Every school has a shy and awkward teacher. Put them next to my desk. I can break them out of their shell.

Only in English? Do tell. It seems if you speak to a female teacher, she thinks you're making a pass as does everyone else watching your every move.

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 12:41:10 PM »
I went from having 6 co-teachers to 5 (2 of them replaced). One of them is almost as fresh as me so this'll be quite a semester. 1st graders are to have a new curriculum and new textbook, but they haven't given me the new textbook yet sooooo  :rolleyes: Can't wait to see how this goes.
The World Ends With You

Online VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 02:21:53 PM »
I've always enjoyed the first day of school, as a student and now as a teacher.

Now, the mid-summer blues,... THAT I'm well aware of! I'd take the entire summer off every year if I could conveniently.

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 02:42:57 PM »
I'm going to divide this into pros and cons in order to retain my good humor.

PRO: Received copies of the new student books!
CON: After 2 weeks of deskwarming and without the corresponding teacher's books and CDs.

PRO: No lessons today!
CON: Big meeting to discuss the curriculum.

PRO: More freedom in class.
CON: More things to design and make.

PRO: It's Friday.
CON: 회식

Offline theman3285

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 03:01:55 PM »

I honestly feel for you. Hope it's a quick one.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 03:02:26 PM »
I think sometimes it's necessary to just take control of things rather than wait for people to organise everything on your behalf. Everyone is disorganised on the first day and it's doubtful that you're anybody's main priority.

I asked my co-teacher about my schedule before 9.00 this morning. After the big meeting that all of the Korean teachers attended, I presented her with an example of what I wanted my schedule to look like, explained that I knew it probably wouldn't be possible to get an ideal schedule, but asked her to do her best. The result? I have a schedule that fits almost perfectly.

There's nothing wrong with (politely) taking the initiative.

Offline lelsasser

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2018, 03:10:42 PM »
Is it strange to say that I like 회식? I did get a new co-teacher (same for ALL my classes) and she seems pretty cool but her first time teaching elementary public school. So, could be a few challenges but overall, pretty excited and it was honestly nice to see my students' faces again ^^

Offline theman3285

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2018, 03:30:32 PM »
Is it strange to say that I like 회식?
Personally, I don't know a single person (Korean or otherwise) who actually looks forward to these things. And I've surveyed extensively.

Offline Foreverparadise

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2018, 12:13:14 AM »
I always used to look forward to the first day of the new school year when I was in Korea. Every year on
March 2 (or after March 2 if March 1st or 2nd falls on a weekend). Each year I looked forward to the new school
year I would observe the changes that take place. Most of all I see the shift that my students made
going from one grade level of English to the next. Meanwhile I am in Canada looking forward to March break.

Offline DiscordAndRhyme

• Newgookin
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2018, 10:15:51 AM »
I was feeling the blues today until I walked into the first grade (girls middle school) hallway. I felt like a movie star the way they were reacting to seeing me for the first time.  :laugh:

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 10:38:26 AM »
Is it strange to say that I like 회식?
Personally, I don't know a single person (Korean or otherwise) who actually looks forward to these things. And I've surveyed extensively.

I personally enjoy it so long as the food's good and it doesn't take too much time. It helps that I like my co-workers (I know that's not the case for everyone)
The World Ends With You