December 10, 2018, 12:48:34 PM

Author Topic: Does finishing contract early affect chances of re-entering Korea?  (Read 547 times)

Offline robbb3490

• Adventurer
I am currently working at a public school near Busan. I am contracted until November but I have been offered a job back in my home country (the UK) which starts mid September. For this reason, I will have to leave my job early.

I have decided that before hopping straight back into work, I want to travel for about 1 month around Malaysia. So a rough plan would be to finish at my school at the end of July, travel until the end of August, come back to Korea for about a week to say goodbyes/pick up my luggage, then leave.

I am wondering if leaving my job early affect my chances of getting back into the country? I intend to follow all of the guidelines set out in the contract and inform my school over 2 months before I plan to leave. I am assuming that when I leave in July to travel, I will have to give up my ARC and re-enter on a Tourist Visa. Do you know if I will have any problems going through immigration? At my time of leaving, I will have worked at the same school for 2 years and 8 months, so I'm not sure if it's going to be a problem.

Online StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
Re: Does finishing contract early affect chances of re-entering Korea?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 09:13:38 PM »
The worst that could happen is difficulty finding a PS job in Korea again. Don't be scared by the silly dramatic wording of the EPIK contract.

Online MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 10:33:43 PM »
I'm pretty sure that only visa violations would cause problems--deportation, being fined and/or ordered to leave for teaching private lessons, etc. I don't think leaving a job counts even if you flagrantly break a contract--people get fired or do midnight runs and return to new jobs after doing a Japan visa run.

I'm no expert but I think as long as you notify your job about quitting and turn in your ARC card you should be fine to return on a tourist visa.

Also you wouldn't be finishing your contract, you'd be terminating it early or breaking it I guess.

Offline Foreverparadise

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 10:54:03 PM »

I was also in that dilemma when I was offered a contract in Taiwan back in 2009.
I told them that my Korean contract was set to end on August 31, and if I left during
the last two weeks of August I would have forfeited my pension and severance. So the
employers in Taiwan allowed me to end my Korean contract on August 31st so I could
be there in Taiwan for my new job on Sept. 1st.

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 08:14:56 AM »
I had to end a PS contract early for an emergency back home. I was rehired two years later with the same education office.

You will still get your severance, and pension (if applicable). Give proper notice and try to seem really upset while doing so ;)

It may result in you being ineligible for PS in the future or it may not. Hard to say honestly. But you will be eligible for hagwons.