April 22, 2018, 06:32:14 PM

Author Topic: Where to go for help in dispute over St Mary’s ER bill  (Read 61 times)

Offline Badoogie

• Newgookin
Where to go for help in dispute over St Mary’s ER bill
« on: February 26, 2018, 11:28:47 AM »
Soon after arriving in Korea, I was taken to St Mary’s hospital with a suspected deep-vein thrombosis.  Nobody spoke English, the whole place was quite unsanitary and biohazard protocols seemed lax or non-existant,  they seemed ti take many unnecessary tests, and they kept me there against my will for 6 hours until I finally I made a scene and indicated I was ready to pull out the IV shunt.  They shook me down for $1,200 USD before they’d let me leave.  I explained I had no insurance at the time and no cash in hand, so they allowed me to leave in return for signing an IOU for the full amount.  A beefy security guard marched me to a pharmacy that gave me a bunch of bottles of pills, which, of course, I never touched b/c had no idea what they were for, as I had no diagnosis.

Fortunately, I am still alive, so apparently didn’t have DVT.  Now, St Mary’s is coming after me for the full amount, and I’m wondering what legal recourse, if any, I have.
If anyone ha

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
The 2018 KOTESOL National Conference. Crossing Borders: Korean ELT in the Modern World. May 12 Kangnam University, Yongin
koreatesol.org/nc2018