June 18, 2018, 11:47:54 AM

Author Topic: Email ban (is it only Jeju?)  (Read 816 times)

Offline wangdang

• Adventurer
Email ban (is it only Jeju?)
« on: February 21, 2018, 12:12:05 PM »
Back to the desk today only to discover all roads to access my email have been shut down. It isn't just reserved for gmail either, it also extends to naver and outlook. Anyone got any clues to why this has happened and whether or not it's a provincial or national thing?
I'm presuming it has something to do with security...otherwise who would decide to shut down quite a useful almost necessary resource? I often get links to things via email and print/transfer things from there.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 02:06:07 PM by wangdang »

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
Re: Email ban (is it only Jeju?)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 12:28:17 PM »
A couple of years back the local boys' middle school banned all external email websites for all teachers to, erm, make them work harder and concentrate more on school stuff.  It could be that. 

Offline wangdang

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 01:06:41 PM »
 ;D Hmm it could, but isn't there far more ways to be distracted than email? I mean I could totally comprehend a ban on social media pages. It just seems weird to not be able to send or receive useful information while at work...ho-hum :-[

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 01:21:54 PM »
This is the same country trying to outlaw English education, so nothing really surprises me here anymore.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 09:26:41 PM »
Koreans think that email is the root of all viruses, then they install 50,000 malware-infested Korean programs on their computers and use phones that get 50 spam texts a minute.

Online slycordinator

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 08:04:45 AM »
Email, google drive, and dropbox are banned in lots of provinces by now. It might be possible to install a VPN, but you'd likely have to do it outside the network as they block VPN domains. For instance, my work-provided laptop can't visit www.privateinternetaccess.com but I am sure that if I made it connect through my phone/home, I could get it installed.

Though, facebook is pretty much never blocked and you could send yourself files through messages.

Online Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 08:20:38 AM »
Email is all fine where I am.

Online annataleen

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 08:33:20 AM »
I work in Incheon and the IMOE blocked email sometime last school year. I use a VPN to access it.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 12:38:35 PM »
Email, google drive, and dropbox are banned in lots of provinces by now. It might be possible to install a VPN, but you'd likely have to do it outside the network as they block VPN domains. For instance, my work-provided laptop can't visit www.privateinternetaccess.com but I am sure that if I made it connect through my phone/home, I could get it installed.

Though, facebook is pretty much never blocked and you could send yourself files through messages.

A workaround is to install a browser VPN addon and use it to get around the block just long enough to download and install VPN software for the computer.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 12:51:50 PM »

Offline Lukron

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 03:19:07 PM »
A lot of companies and public bodies across the world do this as standard practice. It's mostly for data protection and security, especially in public bodies. It's not surprising at all for a school to do this.

I guess its something at the government or provincial level. My schools are fine but that could be because my county hasn't mandated this, or because the IT guys haven't bothered to enforce the rule.