April 27, 2018, 08:53:52 AM

Author Topic: On a scale from 1 - 10 how hard is teaching English?  (Read 963 times)

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
Re: On a scale from 1 - 10 how hard is teaching English?
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 10:42:31 AM »
There needs to be some standards in this industry; however, there aren't any. There are standards for each job, but not the industry as a whole.  Take most hagwon jobs as an example. A teacher is required to have a non-related BA and that's it; whereas a univeristy professor is supposed to have a Masters or even a PhD in some cases I believe.

I believe in the free market, people aren't stupid. In the private sector, if a parent basically wants some foreigner who looks the part to babysit their kid, they should be catered for. Likewise if some bored housewife just wants a 'handsome' teacher for conversation that's up to her. They can get what they want and not pay over the odds. If a customer is serious about learning and wants someone more qualified they pay more and get a better service.

As usual it's the places controlled by the state that don't do things properly. The NET program (desk warming, co teachers, Korean teachers who can't speak English, etc..) and universities where they employ people without any TEFL qualifications at all and pay them to do nothing for 5 months a year. 

Offline Cyanea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 01:03:33 PM »
As usual it's the places controlled by the state that don't do things properly.

You think the private sector is 'doing things properly?'

Many hogwons have a ridiculously childish and backward mindset. They hire based on looks and youth and fire people with qualifications and experience.

Maybe its not a matter of govt vs private. Its just Korea.

Too bad Korea has been such a huge esl market because the way they do things has subverted any notion of 'standards' in the industry.
Catch my drift?

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 01:15:52 PM »
As usual it's the places controlled by the state that don't do things properly.

You think the private sector is 'doing things properly?'

Many hogwons have a ridiculously childish and backward mindset. They hire based on looks and youth and fire people with qualifications and experience.

Maybe its not a matter of govt vs private. Its just Korea.

Too bad Korea has been such a huge esl market because the way they do things has subverted any notion of 'standards' in the industry.

The ones that don't go out of business are obviously giving the customer what they want at the right price. Otherwise they wouldn't survive. Whether or not that's the best thing for the kids or Korea's general level of English is another matter.

Online grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 03:06:07 PM »
I personally think that teaching English is an easy thing to do

Teaching English is zero challenge. It's WAY too simple that a monkey could do our job.

Its very easy to do it badly, yes.

Anyone can be bad at their job.

Anyone can do anything. Thats what unqualified people always say.

I bet neither of you have studied TESOL/ TEFL.

Define qualified. What do you need to have studied to be "qualified" to be an EFL teacher?

Depends on the job.

Yeah, I know. I think statements like "I'm a qualified EFL teacher" to be a little vague, though.

In most cases, a non-related BA and a CELTA are enough qualifications to get you most jobs in EFL in Asia. Even a Delta, which has a good reputation, is only a few months long and isn't really much of a qualification in terms of having an actual degree.  IMHO, a Degree in TESOL is a proper qualification.

A degree lasting 3 or 4 years? That's overkill IMO. It's not like in other subjects where you're learning the subject as well as how to teach it. Assuming you're a native speaker you just need to know the grammar and some good teaching techniques. I'd say a year tops should prepare you enough for any TEFL job.

I've mulled over this topic for quite some time.

English is really quite difficult. Grammar and such can get quite complicated and requires years of study. How many EFL teachers really know grammar? How many can fully explain errors in complex sentences?  How many really know different teaching techniques? Even with a basic qual like a CELTA, one isn't really prepared for the classroom. Teaching requires practice with a mentor who really knows what they're doing in terms of giving feedback.

One of the reasons why I'm getting out of EFL is that I honestly don't see it as a profession. I'll call it semi-profession at best. That's just me; I expect many to disagree, but, that's how I see EFL.

There needs to be some standards in this industry; however, there aren't any. There are standards for each job, but not the industry as a whole.  Take most hagwon jobs as an example. A teacher is required to have a non-related BA and that's it; whereas a univeristy professor is supposed to have a Masters or even a PhD in some cases I believe.

Do university positions require related education, unlike elementary schools? Is a PhD in physics or fine arts okay for English profs?
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 03:14:22 PM »
Is a PhD in physics or fine arts okay for English profs?

Never checked the PHDs as I don't have one, but for the MAs it's usually any subject, TESOL/Linguistics etc.. preferred

Offline jayteacher1980

• Explorer
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2018, 03:43:56 PM »
I agree with most on this thread - teaching English is quite easy, but teaching it effectively takes more effort than you've probably been led to believe. Are you looking to do work, or simply looking to get paid for showing up to work?

Magic Ears ESL
Work from home and teach English to Chinese Children online with Magic Ears!! Teach 25 minute group lessons in the morning or the evening! The base pay is $18-26 an hour! To be qualified for this position you will need to be a native speaker from the US or Canada. You can apply using the bottom link for priority viewing on your application. For more information, please join our Q and A group https://www.facebook.com/groups/MagicEarsQA/
https://t.mmears.com?referralCode=T142094