December 12, 2018, 11:10:25 AM

Author Topic: On a scale from 1 - 10 how hard is teaching English?  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Telephone33

• Adventurer
On a scale from 1 - 10 how hard is teaching English?
« on: February 20, 2018, 03:49:20 PM »
Last week I started a thread asking people if teaching English is making us more stupid. I personally think that teaching English is an easy thing to do, and the lack of challenge means that we are certainly not getting any smarter - in fact we may actually be getting dumber. However, I was really surprised to see in the responses that some people (actually most people) find teaching English to be a real challenge. 

So, on a scale from 1 - 10, roughly how hard is it for you to teach English (so we can benchmark things lets say that '1' would be working as a paper boy, '5' is working as a bank teller and '10' is working as a rocket scientist)?

I give teaching English a '1.5'.

Offline cracker

• Veteran
Re: On a scale from 1 - 10 how hard is teaching English?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 04:01:34 PM »
So, on a scale from 1 - 10, roughly how hard is it for you to teach English (so we can benchmark things lets say that '1' would be working as a paper boy, '5' is working as a bank teller and '10' is working as a rocket scientist)

I think it's time you have a good Skype with your family and ask them to stop comparing you to your more 'successful' siblings.  :laugh:

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 04:10:02 PM »
Last week I started a thread asking people if teaching English is making us more stupid. I personally think that teaching English is an easy thing to do, and the lack of challenge means that we are certainly not getting any smarter - in fact we may actually be getting dumber. However, I was really surprised to see in the responses that some people (actually most people) find teaching English to be a real challenge. 

So, on a scale from 1 - 10, roughly how hard is it for you to teach English (so we can benchmark things lets say that '1' would be working as a paper boy, '5' is working as a bank teller and '10' is working as a rocket scientist)?

I give teaching English a '1.5'.

Teaching low-level kids for the fourth time from a basic course book you have to follow - 1.
Being cross examined on grammar or theory by a bunch of know it all teachers at a training session - 6

And many levels in between.     

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 04:16:49 PM »
Its too broad a question. Also, what do you mean by hard? As in, what level are my mental faculties engaged when I teach?

Assuming that is the case:

Public elementary school =1
Public high school(for low-level students generally) =2. Its only a two as I self-reflect on how I could have done it better.

Online MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 04:27:44 PM »
On a scale of 1 to 10 who thinks Phone is a Korean trying to stir up the board?

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 05:40:33 PM »
On a scale of 1 to 10 who thinks Phone is a Korean trying to stir up the board?
She used challenged correctly, not once but twice, so I'm going with 1.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 06:28:44 PM »
it's sad to see that telephone isn't finding any satisfaction at his current paper boy job

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 08:11:51 PM »
Honestly, while there was a difference in difficulty between my jobs, Id say it would average out to a 9/10. If I knew as much as my coworkers Id say 1/10.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.
-AP

Offline Sir-Mark

• Waygookin
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 09:18:35 PM »
I'm going to re-iterate my point from before. There's a huge different between teaching English and teaching English well.

Doing what the job requires to keep your job? Probably a 1 or 2. Getting young kids to speak in perfect English without assistance? Probably an 8 or something.

Online some waygug-in

• Super Waygook
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 09:27:24 PM »
It depends a lot on the work situation, hagwon, PS or whatever, size of class, age of students, level of students.

There are other variables that could be added. 

Teaching semi-conversant adults   2.0

Teaching a room full of ajummas  1.0  easy, but usually fun.

Teaching low level adults  3.0

Teaching lower grades in PS  1.0

Teaching  gr 5 - 6 in PS     3.0

Teaching gr 2 - 4 in a hagwon  5.0  when your new,  3.0 after a while.

Teaching gr 5 - 6  in a hagwon  7.0  as a newbie,  5.0  after a while.

Teaching dis-interested middle school students  9.0  it never got any better.

Anyway, that's just my experience.   I was a crap teacher tho.

Dealing with the management/staff  was usually more of a challenge than teaching.
Often it was the worst part of the job.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 09:30:52 PM by some waygug-in »

Online KoreaBoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 09:49:51 PM »
Teaching English is zero challenge.

If you actually believe teaching the subject is hard, you need to really consider why you are here.

I would suspect most people here find successful classroom management & office skills to be severely lacking which leads to a large number of problems.

The number is zero.  There is no challenge.  It's WAY too simple that a monkey could do our job.

Offline tommyb.goode

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 11:21:54 PM »
To tie this into your previous thread. There is no end to to how good you can be at teaching English, given the freedom.

I have complete control over my curriculum and how I manage my classes. This means, while sure, anyone could do my job and not get fired, it's easy to get through the day but how good you can be at managing the classroom, sharing knowledge while at the same time making sure students look forward to and enjoy your class is an endless challenge.

It all depends on what kind of person you are and if you enjoy and are passionate about your work. I could get by doing the bare minimum but the challenges and room for improvement are infinite. Unless of course you are teaching somewhere where you are micromanaged.

Some jobs have clear challenges set out for you by your boss but in this line of work, it's up to you. If you're here for a year and have no interest in the job sure, anyone can do it. It's as difficult as you want it to be. So I don't think it's making me more stupid. It's all about your attitude/work ethic.

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 11:55:42 PM »
I personally think that teaching English is an easy thing to do

Teaching English is zero challenge. It's WAY too simple that a monkey could do our job.

Its very easy to do it badly, yes.

Anyone can be bad at their job.

Anyone can do anything. Thats what unqualified people always say.

I bet neither of you have studied TESOL/ TEFL.
Catch my drift?

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 05:27:00 AM »

He's never done the DELTA, that's for sure.

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 07:44:18 AM »

Teaching English is zero challenge. It's WAY too simple that a monkey could do our job.

Define qualified. What do you need to have studied to be "qualified" to be an EFL teacher?

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 08:55:48 AM »

Define qualified. What do you need to have studied to be "qualified" to be an EFL teacher?

Depends on the job.

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 09:02:13 AM »

Depends on the job.

Yeah, I know. I think statements like "I'm a qualified EFL teacher" to be a little vague, though.

In most cases, a non-related BA and a CELTA are enough qualifications to get you most jobs in EFL in Asia. Even a Delta, which has a good reputation, is only a few months long and isn't really much of a qualification in terms of having an actual degree.  IMHO, a Degree in TESOL is a proper qualification.

Offline parkerynp

• Adventurer
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 09:29:11 AM »
I think it's time you have a good Skype with your family and ask them to stop comparing you to your more 'successful' siblings.  :laugh:

Got a GREAT laugh out of this comment :)

Well played

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 10:09:01 AM »

Depends on the job.

Yeah, I know. I think statements like "I'm a qualified EFL teacher" to be a little vague, though.

In most cases, a non-related BA and a CELTA are enough qualifications to get you most jobs in EFL in Asia. Even a Delta, which has a good reputation, is only a few months long and isn't really much of a qualification in terms of having an actual degree.  IMHO, a Degree in TESOL is a proper qualification.

A degree lasting 3 or 4 years? That's overkill IMO. It's not like in other subjects where you're learning the subject as well as how to teach it. Assuming you're a native speaker you just need to know the grammar and some good teaching techniques. I'd say a year tops should prepare you enough for any TEFL job.

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 10:31:17 AM »

Depends on the job.

A degree lasting 3 or 4 years? That's overkill IMO. It's not like in other subjects where you're learning the subject as well as how to teach it. Assuming you're a native speaker you just need to know the grammar and some good teaching techniques. I'd say a year tops should prepare you enough for any TEFL job.

I've mulled over this topic for quite some time.

English is really quite difficult. Grammar and such can get quite complicated and requires years of study. How many EFL teachers really know grammar? How many can fully explain errors in complex sentences?  How many really know different teaching techniques? Even with a basic qual like a CELTA, one isn't really prepared for the classroom. Teaching requires practice with a mentor who really knows what they're doing in terms of giving feedback.

One of the reasons why I'm getting out of EFL is that I honestly don't see it as a profession. I'll call it semi-profession at best. That's just me; I expect many to disagree, but, that's how I see EFL.

There needs to be some standards in this industry; however, there aren't any. There are standards for each job, but not the industry as a whole.  Take most hagwon jobs as an example. A teacher is required to have a non-related BA and that's it; whereas a univeristy professor is supposed to have a Masters or even a PhD in some cases I believe.