November 19, 2018, 08:17:09 PM

Author Topic: Cultural Appropriation is liberal propaganda!  (Read 2909 times)

Offline KimDuHan

• Hero of Waygookistan
Cultural Appropriation is liberal propaganda!
« on: February 11, 2018, 10:41:32 PM »
A korean couple moves to Germany learns german and takes in the culture and their kids are german and are seen as Germans and you're racist if you ask them where they came from as they are german.

A german couple moves to korea and takes in the culture and their kids become korean. They are ridiculed and can't wear traditional Korean clothing without being harassed  by asian Americans and liberals alike and they are called out for appropriating korean culture!!

Canadian born hockey players become korean and get ridiculed too and called out even though they live in korea and will retire in korea.

Why is the first situation ok while the second one is appropriation? Why are a certain group of people not allowed to become members of another country while others can?

One word: Liberalism!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 11:21:17 PM by KimDuHan »

Offline nakdong

• Adventurer
Re: Cultural Appropriation is liberal propaganda!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 11:26:18 PM »
I don't have the word you're looking for, but it's not liberalism. I don't think you know what liberalism means

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 03:49:20 AM »
A korean couple moves to Germany learns german and takes in the culture and their kids are german and are seen as Germans and you're racist if you ask them where they came from as they are german.

A german couple moves to korea and takes in the culture and their kids become korean. They are ridiculed and can't wear traditional Korean clothing without being harassed  by asian Americans and liberals alike and they are called out for appropriating korean culture!!

Canadian born hockey players become korean and get ridiculed too and called out even though they live in korea and will retire in korea.

Why is the first situation ok while the second one is appropriation? Why are a certain group of people not allowed to become members of another country while others can?

You have clearly never been to Germany. That example is incredibly incomprehensible and impossible.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 05:37:05 AM »

It's a good point and I think basically just down to the law of averages. Generally majority white countries are the ones people want to emmigrate to, so a white person emmigrating to a non white country is going to come across as  weirder. I reckon if a Korean guy in Germany started walking around in lederhosen he might come in for a little bit of flack, though as we all know 'cultural appropriation' is a load of white-guilt racist bollocks.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 05:56:03 AM by eggieguffer »

Offline donuts81

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 09:05:25 AM »
and their kids become korean.
......and will forever have to put up with the egregious burden of micro-aggressions  :laugh:
Where are you from? You speak Korean well. You can eat spicy food?!?

How many generations do you think that would last for?
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 09:12:02 AM »
......and will forever have to put up with the egregious burden of micro-aggressions  :laugh:

You think those are microaggressions?

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 10:01:27 AM »
Nanoaggressions, maybe. :laugh:

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 11:07:51 AM »

Being of Scottish heritage, it boils my blood to see Asians wearing tartan! Worst of all, the Royal Stewart. Have they no understanding that wearing this signifies allegence to HMTQ? I think they are mocking us.

/s

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 11:49:31 AM »
Being of Scottish heritage, it boils my blood to see Asians wearing tartan! Worst of all, the Royal Stewart.
You mean Rod Stewart?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 12:23:09 PM »
I reckon if a Korean guy in Germany started walking around in lederhosen he might come in for a little bit of flack, though as we all know 'cultural appropriation' is a load of white-guilt racist bollocks.

I reckon if anyone, including native Germans, walked around Germany in Lederhosen, that they'd get a fair bit of slack unless they were on their way to some sort of festival/work.

and their kids are german and are seen as Germans
Uhm, is that really how you think it is?

Called out by who?

And many won't retire in Korea. A lot of the dual-nation athletes move back home when their careers are over.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 12:58:40 PM »

Being of Scottish heritage, it boils my blood to see Asians wearing tartan! Worst of all, the Royal Stewart. Have they no understanding that wearing this signifies allegence to HMTQ? I think they are mocking us.

/s

Cultural appropriation is only a thing when progressives deem the culture in question to be inferior or have less value. The Scots, despite having been colonised for hundreds of years, don't qualify for it as they're white. Which is what makes the whole thing a tad racist

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 01:23:37 PM »
Cultural appropriation is only a thing when progressives deem the culture in question to be inferior or have less value.
YESSSSS

"Isn't being Mexican shitty enough without you wearing their hat?"

This is what I hear when people complain about sombrero wearing/Day of the Dead/Sugar Skull shit.

I don't pity Mexicans. Some, sure. And there are a bunch of Koreans and Canadians I pity too. You point out a poor farmer in Mexico and I'll think, "Shit, that's rough." I pass a homeless guy in Toronto, I think the same.

What I won't do is pity an entire country and its people. It ain't happening.

"The poor Mexicans, you are wearing their hat!" Sorry, shithead, I don't pity different cultures. Best case scenario? They think Mexicans are over-sensitive pussies who can't handle their clothes being worn and their food being eaten.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 01:34:52 PM by CO2 »
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 02:10:57 PM »
Cultural appropriation is only a thing when progressives deem the culture in question to be inferior or have less value.
YESSSSS

My wearing a Mexican hat made Mexico shittier? I am sorry about that.
I would also like to apologize to Italy for wearing Italian-cut suits and jackets.
All those years studying Ju Jitsu and Karate likely hurt Japan as well.  Sorry.
For all those times I referred arguments full of holes as "Swiss Cheese", I apologize.

If any of you make fun of this Canadian for apologizing so much... sorry if I have offended.

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 02:48:20 PM »
YESSSSS

This is what I hear when people complain about sombrero wearing/Day of the Dead/Sugar Skull shit.

I don't pity Mexicans. Some, sure. And there are a bunch of Koreans and Canadians I pity too. You point out a poor farmer in Mexico and I'll think, "Shit, that's rough." I pass a homeless guy in Toronto, I think the same.

What I won't do is pity an entire country and its people. It ain't happening.

"The poor Mexicans, you are wearing their hat!" Sorry, shithead, I don't pity different cultures. Best case scenario? They think Mexicans are over-sensitive pussies who can't handle their clothes being worn and their food being eaten.
I mean. Is that a mexican poncho. Or is that a sears poncho? Hmmm... No foolin...

Offline Andyman

• Super Waygook
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 03:50:07 PM »
Cultural appropriation is a thing that college kids take on as a concern for a couple years of their lives when they are searching for causes to fight. There was once a time when it was kind of an interesting academic concept, but the Twitter generation ran wild with it, like so many other things, and it mutated into something almost as weird as Kim Du Han's original post.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 04:22:59 PM »
Cultural appropriation is a thing that college kids take on as a concern for a couple years of their lives when they are searching for causes to fight. There was once a time when it was kind of an interesting academic concept, but the Twitter generation ran wild with it, like so many other things, and it mutated into something almost as weird as Kim Du Han's original post.

Maybe, though some have lost their jobs over it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/08/us/yale-lecturer-resigns-after-email-on-halloween-costumes.html

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 04:47:07 PM »
Kimdungham topic

Offline Andyman

• Super Waygook
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 06:24:13 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/08/us/yale-lecturer-resigns-after-email-on-halloween-costumes.html

That's what I mean. The confused brats who wasted their educational opportunities at Yale in favor of screaming at the Christakises won't be so concerned with cultural appropriation once they have real-world problems to deal with. It's a flash-in-the-pan cause for most people.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 07:02:55 PM »

That's what I mean. The confused brats who wasted their educational opportunities at Yale in favor of screaming at the Christakises won't be so concerned with cultural appropriation once they have real-world problems to deal with. It's a flash-in-the-pan cause for most people.

My point was that if the powers that be at the university were involved to the extent that someone lost their job, it's gone further than just kids protesting frivolous causes.

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 08:14:08 PM »

My point was that if the powers that be at the university were involved to the extent that someone lost their job, it's gone further than just kids protesting frivolous causes.

there was a video a few years ago feauring a white kid with dreadlocks and an angry black woman who accused him of cutural whatnot (a quick search later):

When i first saw this i wondered what would happen if a white person attacked a black person with straightened hair in the same way.  Why is it OK to adopt some aspects of a culture and not others.  Noone bats an eyelid if you eat noodles with chopsticks in a Japanese restaurant in Manchester, but if you put those chopsticks in your hair as a fashion accessory you may as well have raped nanjing.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:16:22 PM by sligo »