December 15, 2018, 08:10:38 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: What qualifications do you need to have to be a professor in Korea?  (Read 1379 times)

Offline Telephone33

• Adventurer
What qualifications do you need to have to be a professor in Korea? Is a doctorate required?

Offline thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: What qualifications do you need to have to be a professor in Korea?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 10:03:10 PM »
White
Female
Blonde
Pulse optional

An actual professor then yeah probably a doc., but depending on your background you may be able to score a non tenured job. For English?

Offline Taal

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 12:44:38 AM »
What qualifications do you need to have to be a professor in Korea? Is a doctorate required?

If you have a doctorate you should be able to score a job teaching your subject, 3.5M p/m + a residence, 4 days a week, with paid holidays. Although they don't give tenure to waygooks if they can help it.

If you only have an MA then you will likely need 2 yrs exp in order to get a job. Teaching English. with less benefits.

Offline Telephone33

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 03:59:26 AM »
Sorry I should have been more specific. I meant to ask what qualifications are required to be an English professor in Korea?

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 03:39:03 PM »
Sorry I should have been more specific. I meant to ask what qualifications are required to be an English professor in Korea?

Generally MA in anything plus 2 years experience or BA in anything plus 4 years experience.

Offline Kamm28

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 08:16:54 AM »
The standard is Masters + 2 Years Full-time University teaching experience in Korea.  Korean Universities would much rather prefer you to have a PhD in a related field though.  The market is going this way and in a few years, new applicants will undoubtedly need a PhD (as is the same for the majority of countries).

However, Most people hired these days do not meet these requirements and still get hired.  For those that don't meet the above requirements, hiring committees are looking for these things in order from most important to least.

1.  University teaching experience is ideal but for those that do not have it:  Full-time formal experience teaching adults or young adults (not after school, tutoring, mentor, private, language exchange, adult hagwon).  Either high school public school,adult teaching abroad, or teaching ESL at a Uni outside of Korea.
2.  Masters Degree.  Education or TESOL preferred but really anything is suitable if you have # 1.  Preferably completed prior to your teaching experience.
3.  F series visa.  This shows long term commitment to Korea and causes less headaches for the school. 
4.  Someone between the age of 30-40.   Schools do not want to hire old people (50+) or young people (30 and under.  Younger people tend to be less experience and older people tend to be difficult to work with.  This is the stereotype. 
5.  Someone who is attractive OR at the very least not ugly. 

This is all presuming you are not a mouth breathing weirdo with an accent that is difficult to understand. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 10:50:08 AM by Kamm28 »

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 10:04:13 AM »
Insofar as I know, one doesn't have to be a professor in Korea at all!  :smiley:

But seriously, the most commonly asked for qualifications are a Masters degree (in anything) plus 2 years university experience.
Those criteria aren't set in stone: I know folk who have recently been hired without a masters or any university experience.  :undecided:

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 04:48:57 PM »
The standard is Masters + 2 Years Full-time University teaching experience in Korea. 

So how are you supposed to get those two first years' experience if every job requires 2 years experience? It's like those job ads back home..."Entry level _____ position: 2 year's relevant experience required."

The obvious answer is connections...most people I've heard of getting uni jobs did NOT have a master's in anything, they were just lifers who knew how to schmooze important Koreans.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 06:52:02 PM »
The standard is Masters + 2 Years Full-time University teaching experience in Korea. 

So how are you supposed to get those two first years' experience if every job requires 2 years experience? It's like those job ads back home..."Entry level _____ position: 2 year's relevant experience required."

The obvious answer is connections...most people I've heard of getting uni jobs did NOT have a master's in anything, they were just lifers who knew how to schmooze important Koreans.
it seems like the whole university job thing in korea is completely closed to those who have never worked in one before - for the reasons you stated

i've read that some positions get 250+ applications, too

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 07:06:14 PM »

it seems like the whole university job thing in korea is completely closed to those who have never worked in one before - for the reasons you stated

Yes but as people who work on hiring committees usually point out, the vast majority of them are from people like internationalteacher. And half the people who get called for interview are weirdos in one way or another.

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 08:08:07 PM »

Yes but as people who work on hiring committees usually point out, the vast majority of them are from people like internationalteacher. And half the people who get called for interview are weirdos in one way or another.

A friend of mine who use to be a headteacher in a primary school in England once told me that he never hired anyone because of the interview.  He said all the people who were interviewed (pretty much) had the job, the interview was to see who not to hire!

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 08:47:36 PM »

yeah. i have a couple of friends who do recruiting in korea. they say half the applicants they get are weirdos. half the challenge, supposedly, is finding someone who is relatively normal

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 10:14:07 PM »
C'mon, man. Most of the Westerners teaching English here are good and normal people. We're not freaks for the most part.

Offline eastcoast

• Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 11:19:19 PM »

A friend of mine who use to be a headteacher in a primary school in England once told me that he never hired anyone because of the interview.  He said all the people who were interviewed (pretty much) had the job, the interview was to see who not to hire!

I sat in as a token foreigner for interviews at our university, and it was exactly like this. I had a list of substantial questions to ask about methodologies, goals, etc. that I did not get to ask. The Korean profs. went with "Are you married? Where do you live?" and asking questions that had already been answered in the personal introduction. After that we were told that they already had a list of the top candidates, but that their first pick had turned out not to have what they were looking for. I still don't really know what standard they had in mind.

Offline eastcoast

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 11:22:10 PM »

yeah. i have a couple of friends who do recruiting in korea. they say half the applicants they get are weirdos. half the challenge, supposedly, is finding someone who is relatively normal

I have seen foreign applicants wear sandals to the interview, or cry, or have no teaching demonstration prepared. Now I am starting to think that hiring is based on whomever is the least awkwardness-provoking at the interview

Offline Kamm28

• Adventurer
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 09:38:36 AM »

Everyone and their mother wants a Uni job and schools know this.  Even for the worst Uni job around they will still get half a dozen people to interview with qualifications like online run of the mill TESOL degrees.   The demand is incredibly high and schools use this to their advantage.  The Masters + 2 year Uni experience gets them more points and money from the government.  That is  HUGE factory too.

As I said before, there are other ways to gain the experience and in general they want someone who is more qualified, thus the masters and adult teaching experience.  If someone does not have a masters or adult teaching experience and they don't get a Uni job, what do they expect?? They don't have the experience or the qualifications

Connections don't work like you think they do.  Even if you have a friend at a Uni, they can recommend you for an interview but it's still not up to them. The head administrator, head of the department, and then the president of the Uni it'self have the real say and if you don't interview well or don't have the proper education and experience, they will not hire you.

Also, EVERYONE wants a Uni job and thus lots of people will be recommended by their friend for the same position.  The school still picks the most qualified candidate even if everyone interviewing is a "suggested hire" and Masters and adult teaching experience is what hiring committees are looking for.

Offline Kamm28

• Adventurer
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 09:40:36 AM »

This is also true here.  Education and experience put you on a ranking system and usually University hiring committee hav a very good idea of who they want to hire even before the interview.

Offline Kamm28

• Adventurer
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 09:43:17 AM »

I have seen foreign applicants wear sandals to the interview, or cry, or have no teaching demonstration prepared. Now I am starting to think that hiring is based on whomever is the least awkwardness-provoking at the interview
[/quote]

Exactly this. 

You would be incredibly surprised how many people walk into an interview and have difficulty interacting.  Lack of eye-contact, addressing people correctly, explaining their experience properly, poor dress attire, combative attitude.

Offline cheolsu

• Adventurer
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 12:10:32 PM »

Exactly this. 

You would be incredibly surprised how many people walk into an interview and have difficulty interacting.  Lack of eye-contact, addressing people correctly, explaining their experience properly, poor dress attire, combative attitude.
[/quote]

One more vote for this. I sat in on dozens of interviews for several positions at the university where I worked. There were lots of people with great qualifications (relevant masters and experience with publications as well) that just didn't present well. They were combative, underwhelming or made it clear that they would be difficult to work with in just the interview phase, while others had horrendous presentation skills (one guy used an Excel worksheet in the place of a Powerpoint presentation, as in he had us looking at an Excel spreadsheet with blanks) or came dressed in hoodies, fleeces, wrinkly khakis (surprisingly common) or both.