December 13, 2018, 08:54:02 PM

Author Topic: Minimum hours for an E2 visa?  (Read 412 times)

Offline annarin

• Explorer
Minimum hours for an E2 visa?
« on: February 07, 2018, 08:04:52 PM »
I am posting this out of desperation for more advice before I decide whether or not to sign a contract tomorrow.

I was offered a part time job at a hagwon. I am on an E2 visa and want to start there after my current job ends this month. The new hagwon has offered to sponsor my visa, as well as pay my health insurance and pension, to be shared 50/50 between the company and myself.

My question is about the working hours. I would be working 15 hours a week/ so roughly 60 hours a month. I have heard many conflicting opinions about whether or not this is okay. Some people say there is no minimum working hours limit, so long as you're making at least 1.5 and are sponsored which I would be. Yet I have heard from others that you must be working at least 20 hours or full time on an E2. The problem is that I have called the immigration help line and basically gotten both of these answers. One said there is no minimum working hour as long as I make 1.5 and I'm sponsored. The other said I must be full time but when asked, couldn't state what she classified as full time. lol ;;

I am wondering if anyone else has had any personal experience with working part time on an E2, whether you ran into any issues or were just fine. I am particularly anxious because of people getting deported for breaking laws and this law isn't clear. I'm also asking because I want a clean record in case I decide to try for an F visa later.
If I didn't need to work part time in order to take care of personal issues, I wouldn't be so torn up about whether to sign this contract or not. Please, any help would be appreciated!

Offline Kamm28

• Adventurer
Re: Minimum hours for an E2 visa?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 07:59:20 AM »
A lot of University Lecturers are on E-2 visas and teach 15 hours or less.  The hours are not the issue, it's the 'full-time' part as your employer is compelled by law to follow certain guidelines with full-time employees.

E-2 Visas need to be sponsored and are normally full-time as you know.  Usually people with E-2 visas don't get their visa sponsored part-time since it too much of a risk for both parties.   As a part-time employee you will not be able to collect severence, and most likely will not have your pension paid into and perhaps tax issues as well.

Will this be your only 'on paper job'?  If so, I do not see immigration approving your E-2 transfer with part-time employment.  This is to protect you. 

If you could talk to your employer and get them to put 'full-time' on the contract, and abide by the law on the benefits that come with that title...It will put you in a better situation and immigration will approve your transfer.