March 19, 2019, 01:58:59 PM

Author Topic: Learn Korean in Daegu  (Read 2503 times)

Offline Schooil

• Newgookin
Learn Korean in Daegu
« on: February 07, 2018, 07:59:48 PM »
Hi guys,

I am looking for somebody who can teach me or any course to learn Korean. I am the guide in Thailand and I am planning to be Korean language guide in Thailand.

I will go to Daegu in the middle of the year.

Please give an advice to me !

Thank you  ;D

Offline CDW

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Learn Korean in Daegu
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 10:23:07 AM »
You can study at the YMCA in Daegu.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/142604626843/

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 11:49:17 AM »
You can study at the YMCA in Daegu.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/142604626843/
I took classes there a few semesters and can recommend it. Cheap, several different levels, and classes at various times during the week. Most of the students are native English speakers, but there are a few who aren't, which was nice.
I had to stop going because it took me almost 2 hours to get to, which sucked. :sad:

Offline dogdogcat

• Newgookin
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 05:50:42 PM »
YMCA provides only part-time courses. You may want intensive courses, 4-5 days a week during office hours. Then there are Korean Language Centers in almost every university which may suit you well.

Offline johnnyrook

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 10:27:27 PM »
I took a ten week session at Daegu University six years ago:

https://www.daegu.ac.kr/eSub.do?pageNo=&pageIdx=DG564&pageParentIdx=543&pageSubParentIdx=&procMode=&ftype=

Prices don't seem to have increased that much since I took it. A little over 1 million won and I stayed in a three person dorm room that only cost about ₩250,000 for the ten weeks, you have your own desk and each room has ensuite bathroom. The International dorm is a bit dated but its fine. There are shared kitchen facilities and a cafeteria downstairs. There's also a gym in another building nearby that students can use for free.

These prices are very affordable for a Westerner although coming from Thailand as you are they might seem more expensive depending on your circumstances.

Daegu University is a very large and nice campus, although the name is deceptive. It's actually in Gyeongsan, which is a smaller neighbouring city. But there's frequent buses that link directly to the last stop on the Daegu subway line. I think you can be downtown within 30 minutes via bus/subway.

One thing I liked about Daegu was that there were very few Westerners (although this might not be a selling point for you). So all my friends were from places like Africa, Central and Eastern Asian (of course this didn't help me avoid using English, particularly with the Africans who all speak English fluently). There were a lot of Vietnamese and a few Cambodians when I was there but can't remember any Thais.

One ten week course would hardly be adequate for a beginner to advance much. You'd need at least a year. If you've studied before in Thailand and feel like you're at least intermediate then you'd probably benefit from two sessions (20 weeks).

Textbooks were a bit old-fashioned but they may have updated them now. There's certainly been an explosion of quality Korean language textbooks even in the short time since I studied. I think its 4 or 5 hours of class a day, until lunch time. There's one field trip and a sports day. If you can afford it I recommend it.

Offline BiterAtmonk

• Newgookin
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 07:53:35 PM »
Just FYI, I paid 210,000 for 2 months of classes at the YMCA (2 hrs per day, 2 days per week). I think you might be rushing to judgment on the quality of her teaching.

Offline ny901004

• Newgookin
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 07:59:50 PM »
Hello!
I have seven plus years of tutoring experiences.
I've taught Korean for non-Korean speakers in many countries(New York, Toronto, Melbourne, Mexico city..)
Now I'm teaching English for Koreans as well.
I'm available for Korean in comprehension, writing skills, presentation and oral skills from basic to advanced.
The tuition is 250,000KRW/month and the place is near Youngnam university subway stop (green line)
It's a small group tutoring (can be 1 to 4ppl)
I ensure that you can speak Korean in two month through my lessons! :)
Textbook is also included in the tuition.
Email: ny901004@gmail.com / Kakaotalk: ny901004
Thank you :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 08:04:33 PM by ny901004 »

Online JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 07:30:46 AM »
Just FYI, I paid 210,000 for 2 months of classes at the YMCA (2 hrs per day, 2 days per week). I think you might be rushing to judgment on the quality of her teaching.

Unrelated to the topic but that's a bit absurd to me. The YMCA in Cheongju only costs 50,000 for a whole semester  :huh:
The World Ends With You

Online CypherSoul

• Veteran
  • U wot m8?
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 07:37:28 AM »

Unrelated to the topic but that's a bit absurd to me. The YMCA in Cheongju only costs 50,000 for a whole semester  :huh:

RIP my money  :cry:

Does anyone have self-learning methods they used to learn Korean? I really don't want to be spending so much money simply because I live too far and it's hard to travel from where I am in Daegu (closest subway is 30 minutes away if I don't get stuck in traffic, it takes too much time :sad:
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

Online JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 07:46:15 AM »

RIP my money  :cry:

Does anyone have self-learning methods they used to learn Korean? I really don't want to be spending so much money simply because I live too far and it's hard to travel from where I am in Daegu (closest subway is 30 minutes away if I don't get stuck in traffic, it takes too much time :sad:

Before I started attending classes, I used to watch a lot of Youtube videos or visit websites like talktomeinkorean.com

Use apps like Duolingo or Lingo Deer to learn vocab reading and some writing, and videos online to learn some listening. Speaking will be the most difficult to study alone (Lingo Deer has some speaking activities), but if you find language exchange friends on HelloTalk, it'll help a lot. (A lot of people treat it like a dating app though, which may be good or bad depending on you).

Hope this helps  ;D
The World Ends With You