December 11, 2018, 02:52:20 PM

Author Topic: Independent contractor Teacher worth it?  (Read 911 times)

Offline LogoNano

• Waygookin
Independent contractor Teacher worth it?
« on: February 06, 2018, 06:27:55 PM »
Is being an Independent contractor Teacher worth it?

It seems like I'm going to be an IC because the school is not going to pay pension. From what I read, it won't be an employee-employer relationship, but a business-person to buesiness-person relationship.

Do I have any protection if the don't pay me? My salary is 2.8 million a month. That's including housing.

I'm a US citizen, so do I have to pay taxes to the united states because I've read that ICs have to pay taxes?

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
Re: Independent contractor Teacher worth it?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 06:41:58 PM »
Is being an Independent contractor Teacher worth it?

It seems like I'm going to be an IC because the school is not going to pay pension. From what I read, it won't be an employee-employer relationship, but a business-person to buesiness-person relationship.

Do I have any protection if the don't pay me? My salary is 2.8 million a month. That's including housing.

I'm a US citizen, so do I have to pay taxes to the united states because I've read that ICs have to pay taxes?

Walk away.  An E2 has to be sponsored by an employer, so cannot be an IC.  So as an employee your employer must pay pension, health insurance and a few other things.  If you get caught, you are liabler for both parties contributions.  Do not work for a liar of this ilk!

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 06:49:23 PM »
First off if you are E2 then it's illegal. If you are f visa decide for yourself if its worth it.
You're exempt from paying usa taxes to 102,000 usd now regardless of if you're an employee or self employed. The irs only will know you earned money by you filing taxes.

Like the old knight said to jr "choose wisely "

* Here is an e2 visa person dealing with this now, http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=112159.0
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 06:51:28 PM by thunderlips »

Offline LogoNano

• Waygookin
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 11:01:17 PM »
I have an F6 visa, but not sure if it's worth it.

Do I have any protection, for example, if they don't pay, can the labor help me?

What about the 30 day quit notice if they want to fire me, do I have protection there? The reason why I'm asking this question is because they are offering severance.

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 06:18:36 AM »
As a contractor then no pension or insurance. Most likely they wont deduct taxes either. So each month except to pay about 100,000 for each of those, insurance, pension and taxes. Depends on how many hours you are working if that is a good deal. Severance is only paid if you work for a full year first. So if you're fired within the first contract then doubtful you would get anything. But I think they have to pay an extra month if they don't give you notice. Not sure exactly.

*Also read the contract thoroughly for pay on red days, overtime hours/pay, etc.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 08:35:31 AM by thunderlips »

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 10:21:53 AM »
As a contractor then no pension or insurance. Most likely they wont deduct taxes either. So each month except to pay about 100,000 for each of those, insurance, pension and taxes. Depends on how many hours you are working if that is a good deal. Severance is only paid if you work for a full year first. So if you're fired within the first contract then doubtful you would get anything. But I think they have to pay an extra month if they don't give you notice. Not sure exactly.

*Also read the contract thoroughly for pay on red days, overtime hours/pay, etc.

On the plus side, the tax rate for IC's is 3.3%.

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 10:25:30 AM »
Yeah, I went back to public schools for the benefits and vacation time. I had delusions of IC work as being easy and lucrative. In reality, unless you are in a big city, the hagwons/afterschool programs will work you like a Korean and not want to pay the difference of not having to sponsor the visa.

Offline donuts81

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 02:50:55 PM »

On the plus side, the tax rate for IC's is 3.3%.

I'm pretty sure it just starts at 3.3% and that most hagwons under report your pay.
Your pension, severance and health are supposed to be included in your salary but that just means that you are responsible. If the govt catches you they'll make you pay pension and health.

Also, to be a true IC you are supposed to be in complete control of your schedule so really the IC label is in name only to give the hagwon less responsibilities.

2.8 mil is actually pretty low considering you have to cover health, pension and find your own house . The hours would have to be great to make it worth it.

Is this an after school position ?

"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

Online KoreaBoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 06:22:31 PM »
100% not worth it.

Offline LogoNano

• Waygookin
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 09:51:10 PM »
This is not an after school program, but a 9-5 job. So when you say that I have complete control over my schedule, does that mean that I don't have to follow their rules when it comes to work hours?

Also, then what is a good monthly salary for this job?

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 10:56:48 PM »
This is not an after school program, but a 9-5 job. So when you say that I have complete control over my schedule, does that mean that I don't have to follow their rules when it comes to work hours?

Public school? Kindy? What is the job and number of teaching hours? Depending on location about 50,000 won per hour is good for IC work.

Offline donuts81

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 02:36:30 PM »

No, unfortunately. It means that to be a true IC you should have control over your own schedule. Independent. What this school is doing is labeling you IC so they have less obligations under the law but they will expect you to behave just like a regular employee. Even though it's not technically legal, what are you going to do? Take them to court?? So it's a fairly common practice.

What's a good salary?? What are your expectations?/ Experience?

A newb E2 should be able to get 2.2 plus housing plus flight which is around 2.6~2.7m+ and the school has to arrange visa and housing (put down a deposit). Then add pension and health and it's more like 2.7~2.9mil+. Do you feel like that's your level? Do you feel like it's worth anything to the school to not organize housing. Is it a big school? How much money do they earn? Are they in desperate need of a teacher? Also, is your severance 2.8m? or are they including severance in your monthly salary?

On the flip side, the hours are good. What about the location? Do they offer lunch? Vacation? These things come into it as well.

If they offered 2.8m, ask for 3m and see what they say (or more if you have more experience). For my current job, the person at the interview before me accepted 2.6 and standard vacation (my boss was too casual with her notebook). I get 3.2 and an extra week. No harm in asking if you feel you are worth it.

"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

Offline LogoNano

• Waygookin
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 09:45:47 PM »
Donuts81, thank you for giving me things to think about. I'm not new to teaching, but I'm new to this IC in Korea.

So what about if they want to fire me, do they have to give me a 30 day notice? In the contract, it says that I have to give them a 60 day quit notice. Do I have to follow that?

Also, when it comes to the contract's last page where we have to sign, does it need to have the dates of when the contract starts and end?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 09:50:58 AM by LogoNano »