July 19, 2018, 12:15:39 AM

Author Topic: Best and worst  (Read 3524 times)

Offline Andyman

• Veteran
Re: Best and worst
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2018, 04:23:10 PM »
Clothes here are made for Korean bodies that are assumed to all be the same size and have no curves. Also the fashion still seems to be for men to look like dorks and hike their pants way above their waist to expose their ankles, which means shirts are really short here and don't reach down low enough.

I sure wouldn't say that clothes here are good money for value or are particularly well made. The US is probably the best place in the world for buying clothes because they're cheap and high-quality. Sure a lot of people dress like slobs but a lot don't and there are a zillion different stores to shop at. Here you have H&M, Uniqlo, the occasional Zara, a lot of expensive imported stuff, and a zillion dingy ajumma clothes stores. And almost anything made for the Korean market is overpriced and low quality.

I wouldn't say H&M/Uniqlo stuff was particularly bad, but some of the random Korean articles of clothing I've bought have been of shocking quality.

Korean vs American fit:

I know which look I prefer. I do struggle with trousers sometimes, but I did in the US too. I'd much rather they were a bit short than bunched up like a pile of toilet paper around my ankles so again, the Korean cut wins.

I think you guys need to get out of the chain stores and explore the locally owned clothing shops a bit more. In the 18 months I've been here, I've acquired two thick winter coats, a wool-blend overcoat, handmade leather Chelsea boots, several pure wool sweaters, maybe six pairs of trousers, four or five pairs of casual sneakers, multiple sets of super warm woolen socks and numerous work shirts, all made in Korea, for a total of probably $600-700. To get the same quality of construction, fabric and style in the US, it would've been somewhere in the region of $3000. You just have to be adventurous in your shopping, and don't let the hovering workers put you off.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2018, 06:49:02 PM »

Korean vs American fit:

I see an ill-fitting American Suit and an well-fitting Korean one.

The Korean cut (which is a lot like an Italian cut) suits thin men.  Most Americans who regularly wear suits these days wear either an Italian or British cut suit depending on their shape.

The biggest difference, however, is the importance that Koreans put on their appearance compared to Americans.  Koreans are willing to spend more money on clothes that fit properly and are stylish. 

A non-suit wearing American will just pull out the 10-year old charcoal gray, and if the buttons don't reach to close anymore, he's just wear a wide tie.

That reminds me; it has been a couple years. I need to visit a tailor soon.

Offline Andyman

• Veteran
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2018, 10:12:03 PM »
I see an ill-fitting American Suit and an well-fitting Korean one.

Yeah, I was kind of joking with that image, but I've seen examples in the US (and among English teachers here) that don't make that look like an exaggeration. In fact, there's a certain high-profile individual that comes to mind.

Sorry to bring Trump into this thread!

Offline hippo

• Veteran
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2018, 10:37:28 PM »
Best: public transportation + Fast internet
Worst: Lack of well made clothes for tall people + reliance on Internet Explorer (another tie)

If you are around two meters tall, you pay premium prices for cheap clothes.   Or you pay three or four times more than everyone else for good clothes that fit.  Socks must be ordered from abroad, and shoe selection is limited even in Itaewon.  And almost all the big and tall stores have abnormally low ceilings.

Online macteacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2018, 11:24:27 PM »

best: systems and programs set up here. it's really a progressive country in that way. love it for the most part

worst: the general cultural vibe. the whole 'han' anger about life's circumstances. it's all really naive and self centered most of the time. just makes everyone miserable.

the constant comparisons. the more korean you learn, the more you just hear how everything gets measured up. topics in korea are constantly compared to other countries. you can't talk to koreans about issues in their own country without "it's worse in china!" everyone is trying to make some clever observation about others and/or peacock about their own circumstances. try going out with a korean on a date speaking english, and you'll find other couples around you suddenly start talking about english and their english ability. needs some healthy amounts of graciousness

and the rotten food at grocery stores

Online some waygug-in

• Super Waygook
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2018, 12:28:37 AM »
It's funny, I was very recently super-judged for going the public school route instead of the private. What's worse is that every single person in that group had really shitty first experiences for going the private route first... so I guess they see me as the uninitiated, lol?

The thing about private (hagwon) type schools is that although good ones may and do exist, bad ones are by far more the norm.   It's not easy to find a "good hagwon".  What I usually ended up with is a "good enough for now hagwon", hope for better next year, and then the next year was worse.

Go with public schools for sure.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 12:31:20 AM by some waygug-in »

Offline Iced_Chai

• Waygookin
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2018, 08:11:59 AM »
I'm curious about how varied the food experience seems to be for people.

Produce is one of the things I have really loved here. Yes, it's expensive, but all the grocery stores have the section of discounted produce. I had never seen this before in the US for fresh fruits and vegetables, the second food would hit the almost too ripe stage it would be gone. I love that I can go, get super cheap fruits and veggies that are absolutely perfectly eat-me-today ripe. I often make a big pot of tomato sauce and then freeze it in batches for soups or quick meals during the week.

I also love that people just sell fresh produce along the street. My favorite fruit lady literally comes to our apartment. In the states a lot of the produce that is readily available is all really uniform looking. It doesn't go bad as fast, but it also doesn't taste as fresh or flavor rich. Like, strawberries tend to be bigger and white inside (I mean I'm never going to say no to a strawberry) but grocery store strawberries in the states often taste bland compared to the strawberries here. Similarly, I have yet to buy a tomato in Korea that is mealy and tastes of water. Plus, when you buy from local sellers they always throw in extras.

Negative: I miss the variety. Every time my grocery store gets in cauliflower it is like magic.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 11:04:46 AM by Iced_Chai »

Offline puregreentea

• Adventurer
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2018, 08:49:24 AM »
Best
Convenience - Late night/Early morning drinking outside GS.
Safety
Food (not for everyone but most stuff I will happily eat)
Scenery - I live in Gangwon-do which is basically just mountains, lakes and beaches. It's stunning.

Worst
English Education - not sure what its like in other subjects, but the lack of joined up thinking is astounding. Students' overall english level could be vastly improved with a little bit change and planning. All this money (both public and private) that goes into it feels wasted.

Just my opinion.