September 24, 2018, 02:38:54 AM

Author Topic: Foreign Language High School Salary  (Read 1001 times)

Offline cozychul

• Waygookin
Foreign Language High School Salary
« on: February 01, 2018, 12:18:04 AM »
Has anyone ever worked at a foreign language high school before or know what the pay scale is for them?

I am being offered a position at a top tier high school and the hourly pay they are staying firm on seems a little bit low for its caliber but I could be completely wrong in my judgement.

Thanks.

Offline Kamm28

• Adventurer
Re: Foreign Language High School Salary
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 12:56:47 PM »
I can help.  Not sure what your conditions were but the foreign language high school I know about followed a very similar contract to EPIK with slightly better pay and vacation.

Pay started at 2.1-2.2 mill with 6-8 weeks off per year working 9-3pm no desk warming.  Each year you received a 200k hike in your salary with a cap at 2.7 mill.  There we some additional benefits similar to EPIK but in general it was pretty similar with some added perks and more work.

Offline kangsheng

• Waygookin
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 09:38:25 AM »
If it's hourly, and if it's part of an afterschool program, there are places that USED to pay 100k/hr, even when the class was 45 minutes. I've heard that one of these places, with its afterschool program numbers now seriously reduced, is now offering quite a bit less. FLHSs used to be great places to work. I have hours at one of the last to still be up and running, but every new year is a nailbiter as I wonder if we'll get freshmen, or if they'll cut our program.

Online cheolsu

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 11:12:32 AM »
I interviewed at one in late 2011. The pay was 2.2 million with at least six weeks vacation, maybe as much as ten. The pay is still similar.

Offline cozychul

• Waygookin
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 12:59:02 AM »
Anyways, just wanted to follow up in case anyone else is ever researching a similar topic.

36,000 won an hour/4 hours a day/5 days a week (starting pay) = 2.88m a month assuming no off days.  Red days not paid nor were holidays and I might add their Holiday period is quite long.  Testing period was paid (1 week).  Insurance/Pension included but what was strange is there was no worded mention about severance pay in the contract which is where I took dispute and the dates were worded so it was several days short.  I ended up walking away from the offer based on this.  I feel bad too because I made a bit of a scene pointing out holes in the contract -- it was nothing personal but have just learned from personal (horrible) experiences.  I might add that this may have been me being overly paranoid but I am much more prone to caution because of my experiences.  The administration were kind and tried to be understanding for what it's worth but were not able to change the contract wording when I requested they do so.

I ended up finding a position elsewhere that pays more about what I was expect and what I value my worth at.

Thank you to those who responded.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 01:09:25 AM by cozychul »