July 19, 2018, 12:16:25 AM

Author Topic: Have you ever visited a Korean barbershop or a Korean beauty salon?  (Read 1787 times)

Offline a992365

• Explorer
Have you ever visited a barbershop or hair salon in Korea? Or have you ever used a barbershop run by a Korean? How is it? Did you like it? If you don't mind, tell me about your experience. I wonder.

Offline sleepy

• Veteran
Re: Have you ever visited a Korean barbershop or a Korean beauty salon?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 12:24:16 PM »
Have you ever visited a barbershop or hair salon in Korea? Or have you ever used a barbershop run by a Korean? How is it? Did you like it? If you don't mind, tell me about your experience. I wonder.

Korean barbers Number 1!

I think it's because Korean's use chopsticks. That's what I was taught anyway.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 12:38:50 PM »
No, never been. This was a picture taken of me last weekend.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 12:59:44 PM »
It is hit or miss.

Same as anywhere else.

If you are picky, you will be dissatisfied... same as everywhere else.

If you donít have hair like the locals, chemicals and dyes wonít work like they do on locals. Iím guessing that their beauty schools donít spend a lot of time on fine blonde hair or Afro-curl relaxers.

Offline kapusta

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 01:42:29 PM »
I travel about three hours each way to my barber in a large city  :shocked: It is also is an excuse to semi-regularly get out and see civilization, though.

I have to say, I've found that the old school village barbers out in the countryside do a pretty fine job if you're just looking for a standard men's "haircut." Definitely better than most barbers or barber/salon places in the cities if you're just looking for a classic cut/ avoiding trends.

Be careful though... I have never seen my local barber sterilize anything, ever. Including his straight razor. Also why I travel now. I'm not a gambling man when it comes to sharing diseases.

Offline TavrinCallas

• Newgookin
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 10:02:49 PM »
I've been to a nice barbershop in Bundang (where I live) once and otherwise I go to cheaper ones mostly. For me, the cheap ones are great because it's a cut and a wash and styling for 10,000won. They usually do a fine job but I'm not too picky either. The nicer one was 25,000won and it was really great. The guy took his time and made sure it was perfect. And the wash was like a super long head massage haha

Offline a992365

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 09:08:22 AM »
They gave me a lot of unsolicited advice, like telling me not to dye my hair a certain color because of what season it was. And also their coloring technique was really awful - left me with splotchy orange tinted hair and told me it couldn't be helped (it can). They damaged my hair a lot, so much that I had to ask them to use a certain deep conditioner that I brought in myself because they had no deep condition or repair services. Then they tried to charge me for simply applying it.

I found a decent Korean stylist who does both men and womens hair but I still get a lot of random advice about what's "in" for the season no matter how many times I tell him I don't care about trends. Much better than the first place though.

Thank you for your valuable experience.

Online gagevt

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Expert Waygook
  • "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives"
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 12:08:47 PM »
I go to a hair place in my city fairly regularly. I asked a former foreigner in my city for advice after letting my first coteacher take me to a place, that sounds like one of the sub-par experiences shared here. The place he recommended and the one I always go to now is great. The ladies are pretty young, though don't speak much English. They still make sure they cut it the way you ask as best they can, which has shown great results for me. Couple that with a wash and blow-dry+a little styling for 13,000won. Works for me. They don't push anything onto you, are very kind, and sometimes will try to small-talk, but it's never intrusive or overbearing.
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

Offline twinsaurus

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 02:26:28 PM »
I went to a hair salon once that was recommended by several expats here because it's in Itaewon and the guy speaks English and works with fine hair (don't remember the name but it was up on the hill by Noksapyeong stn). I asked him for a balayage w/out changing my base brown color and showed him a picture of exactly what I wanted. He ended up giving me very clear highlights - to the roots, which I had specifically mentioned that I didn't want. Halfway through the process when I figured it out and was about to say something, he went "Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I changed my mind and I'm going all the way to the roots." I wasn't happy but looking back I didn't make enough of a stink because I figured it would keep me there longer. The highlights didn't look bad but they just weren't what I asked for at all. Not an issue of Korea in my experience but it's hard to find a good salon where you connect with the hairdresser anywhere in the world.

I have had good experiences with cuts at no-English mom-n-pop salons, though they really do give a lot of unsolicited advice like someone said above. Don't know if they know what they're talking about because it's always something different. Wash your hair more often, wash it less often, don't use shampoo, use shampoo after you condition, use serum, don't use serum, etc. Granted, my fine dry white person hair has problems but I think I have a better idea of caring for it.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 04:04:13 PM »
I go to this middle-aged woman who doesn't speak a word of English, and I don't know any Korean words about or phrases about haircuts, but somehow we've figured things out. Korean barbers seem to fuss around with scissors forever instead of using a razor, she did that the first several times but after a while realized that she could get the same short haircut I wanted by just quickly buzzing over everything with a razor and then touching it up which is what I wanted in the first place.

I find that Korean haircutters LOVE to give you the Kim Jong-il/eun look which is high and puffy on top and shaved almost to the skin on the sides, whether you want it or not. Try and be careful to avoid this if you don't want to look like a Korean dictator.

Offline a992365

• Explorer
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 05:51:52 PM »
I go to a hair place in my city fairly regularly. I asked a former foreigner in my city for advice after letting my first coteacher take me to a place, that sounds like one of the sub-par experiences shared here. The place he recommended and the one I always go to now is great. The ladies are pretty young, though don't speak much English. They still make sure they cut it the way you ask as best they can, which has shown great results for me. Couple that with a wash and blow-dry+a little styling for 13,000won. Works for me. They don't push anything onto you, are very kind, and sometimes will try to small-talk, but it's never intrusive or overbearing.

Thanks for the good info.
How much is the cost of haircuts in your country?
Is 13,000 won cheaper?

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 10:16:57 AM »
i hate it when they wash your hair for you

my local place washes my hair and the woman always gives me this weird head massage

the other month, this young girl gave me a head massage, neck massage and...an eye massage. never had an eyeball massage before, but it certainly wasn't pleasant

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 10:23:55 AM »

my local place washes my hair and the woman always gives me this weird head massage

the other month, this young girl gave me a head massage, neck massage and...an eye massage. never had an eyeball massage before, but it certainly wasn't pleasant
I had invasice brain surgery 6 years ago. Ain't no one massaging this scalp, feel like they could inadvertently kill me  haha.

I just tell them I'll wash my hair at home. I have my own brands, I can do it.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 11:17:32 AM »

I usually like the head and neck massage, but sometimes they do a tumb-stand on your skull!  That is a bit much.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 01:21:15 PM »
I cut my own hair with a pair of scissors from GS25. Takes 5-10 minutes.

Online lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 01:38:11 PM »
There is a place that is pretty consistent if you want a cut at a cheap price, and the good thing, is that it is a chain. It is a men's barbershop, and it is 8,000 for a simple hair cut. You go in, sit-down, wash your own hair, sit again, and wait to be called up. She will have you sit, and most you can just show a picture of yourself with your hair previously (I took a front/side/back/ photo just for this to keep on my phone). She will cut it, if anything when she starts taking off the apron is not to your liking (i.e. you want some part a bit shorter) then tell her, and she will finish it up. You wash your hair, then style it in the same washing section. Pay cash or card, 8,000. done. They don't take reservations though. The place is called Blue Club or 블루킬럽 ... Enjoy the cheap in and out service. (I am usually in an out in 15 minutes)

Online lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 01:41:11 PM »
I've been to a nice barbershop in Bundang (where I live) once and otherwise I go to cheaper ones mostly. For me, the cheap ones are great because it's a cut and a wash and styling for 10,000won. They usually do a fine job but I'm not too picky either. The nicer one was 25,000won and it was really great. The guy took his time and made sure it was perfect. And the wash was like a super long head massage haha

Nice. It is 8,000 if you ever go to Yatap or Pangyo. You can do a search for 블루클럽 in Naver.

Offline tanis62458

• Super Waygook
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 04:24:56 PM »
i go to blue club.  should the old lady a picture of what i wanted and she cut it exactly that way.  7000 won and takes her about 10 minutes to finish.  then i get to wash my own hair.   i've had so much trouble finding a place that will cut my hair the way i want.  now that i have one, i always go there and i always wait for her.  i actually tried one of the other ladies but she failed. 

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 09:51:20 AM »
There is a place that is pretty consistent if you want a cut at a cheap price, and the good thing, is that it is a chain. It is a men's barbershop, and it is 8,000 for a simple hair cut. You go in, sit-down, wash your own hair, sit again, and wait to be called up. She will have you sit, and most you can just show a picture of yourself with your hair previously (I took a front/side/back/ photo just for this to keep on my phone). She will cut it, if anything when she starts taking off the apron is not to your liking (i.e. you want some part a bit shorter) then tell her, and she will finish it up. You wash your hair, then style it in the same washing section. Pay cash or card, 8,000. done. They don't take reservations though. The place is called Blue Club or 블루킬럽 ... Enjoy the cheap in and out service. (I am usually in an out in 15 minutes)
A woman gashed my ear pretty good with her scissors at one of those places. I lost some blood, but I did get a free haircut.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2018, 10:15:23 AM »
I go to a small salon where the owner spent over a decade cutting and styling hair in the U.S.

So English is good, and, while she's on the pricier side, she's always given me exactly what I wanted and how I wanted it. She also gives free blowouts as part of the service, so I'm very happy with her.