June 20, 2018, 09:19:09 PM

Author Topic: #TrumpShutdown becomes top trending hashtag worldwide  (Read 2392 times)

Online gogators!

• The Legend
Re: #TrumpShutdown becomes top trending hashtag worldwide
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2018, 05:45:00 AM »
Sure it was. trumpys' anti-muslim agenda was so obvious the courts nixed the ban(s) on exactly those grounds.

I think that was shaky at best, and well, it was the 9th Circuit.

He didn't bother with any other countries, and when you look at the countries that were listed, it's a hard list to dismiss as security concerns out of hand.

As for US security, 64,000 drug overdose deaths in 2016 with those numbers sure to increase for 2017 and 11 school shootings in just the first month of 2018 demonstrate that drug companies and the NRA are much more "substantial" dangers to Americans than threats from ISIS and the like.

Al-Qaeda inflicted massive damage on 9/11. ISIS destabilized large swaths of the Middle East and Africa. They're every bit the significant danger that ODs and guns are.
No, they're not. How many American lives are in danger in the ME or Africa?

9/11 could have been averted by cooperation between the FBI and the CIA. Bush's response to it has basically gotten us into the mess we're in. trumpy is making the same kind of mistakes.

Our invasion of Iraq destablized the ME and helped create ISIS.

Stooping to fear mongering won't change the facts. Nor will claiming that you're some kind of a lawyer.

Offline freddyinkorea

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2018, 06:28:59 AM »
If only reason had prevailed:
As president, Hillary Clinton would support the automatic granting of green cards, or permanent residency, to foreign students who earn advanced STEM degrees in the U.S.

Clinton, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, said she wants the U.S. to "staple" green cards to the diplomas of non-citizens who earn master's or Ph.D. degrees in STEM  fields (science, technology, engineering or math) "from accredited institutions."

Clinton outlined her plan in a broader tech policy agenda released today.

This agenda is big on improving computer science education and is modeled after some of President Barack Obama's efforts, such as training 50,000 computer science teachers in the next 10 years. But the topic that may get the most focus is immigration.

Clinton's "staple" idea isn't a new. It's what Mitt Romney, the 2012 GOP presidential nominee, supported. It has had bipartisan support in Congress.

American tax dollars support their education but then we send them home and lose out on the fruits of that education.

Hey Fred, do you buy American? What was the last thing you bought made in the USA?

Better do it now because if all the illegal immigrants are deported, costs are going UP.

What is happening? The Department of Homeland Security is planning to hire thousands of additional immigration enforcement agents to detain and deport immigrants coming into or living in the U.S. illegally. It was also outlined in two draft memos issued by DHS Secretary John Kelly that the agency would expand the pool of immigrants prioritized for removal, speed up deportation proceedings and enlist law enforcement to make arrests.

How many immigrants are in the U.S. illegally? The Pew Research Center estimated there were 11 million immigrants living illegally in the U.S. in 2014, making up about 3.5 percent of the population. This includes those who entered without permission and those who overstayed a visa. Undocumented workers make up about 5 percent of the U.S. labor market. 8 million illegal immigrants in the U.S. are of working age, according to Pew.

What is the value of undocumented immigrant labor? According to a study issued by the National Bureau of Economic Research, loss of that segment of the labor force would cost the U.S. economy $5 trillion over a decade. Illegal immigrants provide $500 billion in output a year, according to study co-author Francesc Ortega.

Do they pay taxes? According to a study by the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy, undocumented immigrants paid $11.64 billion a year in state and local taxes either through house payments or rent (property taxes), income tax through employer deductions from their paychecks or through the purchase of goods or services (sales taxes). If those same immigrants were given legal status, the amount of state and local taxes collected could increase by $2.1 billion a year, according to the study.

How will removal of the immigrant labor force affect the economy? The U.S. Gross Domestic Product could decrease by 2.6 percent or $434 billion a year if all undocumented workers were removed from the economy, according to a report by City University of New York researchers. Some states and industries would be more affected than others. Illinois, California, Florida, Texas, New York and New Jersey would feel the greatest impact under such a scenario.
What you need to know about Trump's new immigration rules

Which industries will be most affected by the loss of the immigrant labor work force? While construction, hospitality and agriculture are the largest employers of undocumented workers, manufacturing, food/restaurant, leisure, wholesale and retail also would feel the impact of the loss of that labor force.

Would this mean more jobs for U.S. citizens? Economist Ryan Edwards, who worked on the CUNY study, said employers could raise wages to attract U.S. workers to replace the immigrants they now employ, but a more likely scenario is they would simply adjust to having a smaller number of workers, shrink their businesses or automate their production.
Trump deportation threats to constrict already-tight job market, could cost economy $5 trillion

How else could this affect U.S. consumers? The cost of produce could skyrocket due to a lack of farm workers, and the restaurant and manufacturing industries could see severe labor shortages, driving up costs or possibly forcing businesses to close. The Social Security Trust Fund could also be impacted. According to an actuarial report by the Social Security Administration, undocumented workers using fake Social Security numbers paid $13 billion into the trust fund in 2010, and only received $1 billion in retirement benefits.

Curb the hate and get the facts, fred.

Ok so you don't think the US should have any control over immigration.  I think they should have strict laws and enforcement and basically every other country in the world thinks and does the same. 

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2018, 06:39:35 AM »
If only reason had prevailed:
As president, Hillary Clinton would support the automatic granting of green cards, or permanent residency, to foreign students who earn advanced STEM degrees in the U.S.

Clinton, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, said she wants the U.S. to "staple" green cards to the diplomas of non-citizens who earn master's or Ph.D. degrees in STEM  fields (science, technology, engineering or math) "from accredited institutions."

Clinton outlined her plan in a broader tech policy agenda released today.

This agenda is big on improving computer science education and is modeled after some of President Barack Obama's efforts, such as training 50,000 computer science teachers in the next 10 years. But the topic that may get the most focus is immigration.

Clinton's "staple" idea isn't a new. It's what Mitt Romney, the 2012 GOP presidential nominee, supported. It has had bipartisan support in Congress.

American tax dollars support their education but then we send them home and lose out on the fruits of that education.

Hey Fred, do you buy American? What was the last thing you bought made in the USA?

Better do it now because if all the illegal immigrants are deported, costs are going UP.

What is happening? The Department of Homeland Security is planning to hire thousands of additional immigration enforcement agents to detain and deport immigrants coming into or living in the U.S. illegally. It was also outlined in two draft memos issued by DHS Secretary John Kelly that the agency would expand the pool of immigrants prioritized for removal, speed up deportation proceedings and enlist law enforcement to make arrests.

How many immigrants are in the U.S. illegally? The Pew Research Center estimated there were 11 million immigrants living illegally in the U.S. in 2014, making up about 3.5 percent of the population. This includes those who entered without permission and those who overstayed a visa. Undocumented workers make up about 5 percent of the U.S. labor market. 8 million illegal immigrants in the U.S. are of working age, according to Pew.

What is the value of undocumented immigrant labor? According to a study issued by the National Bureau of Economic Research, loss of that segment of the labor force would cost the U.S. economy $5 trillion over a decade. Illegal immigrants provide $500 billion in output a year, according to study co-author Francesc Ortega.

Do they pay taxes? According to a study by the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy, undocumented immigrants paid $11.64 billion a year in state and local taxes either through house payments or rent (property taxes), income tax through employer deductions from their paychecks or through the purchase of goods or services (sales taxes). If those same immigrants were given legal status, the amount of state and local taxes collected could increase by $2.1 billion a year, according to the study.

How will removal of the immigrant labor force affect the economy? The U.S. Gross Domestic Product could decrease by 2.6 percent or $434 billion a year if all undocumented workers were removed from the economy, according to a report by City University of New York researchers. Some states and industries would be more affected than others. Illinois, California, Florida, Texas, New York and New Jersey would feel the greatest impact under such a scenario.
What you need to know about Trump's new immigration rules

Which industries will be most affected by the loss of the immigrant labor work force? While construction, hospitality and agriculture are the largest employers of undocumented workers, manufacturing, food/restaurant, leisure, wholesale and retail also would feel the impact of the loss of that labor force.

Would this mean more jobs for U.S. citizens? Economist Ryan Edwards, who worked on the CUNY study, said employers could raise wages to attract U.S. workers to replace the immigrants they now employ, but a more likely scenario is they would simply adjust to having a smaller number of workers, shrink their businesses or automate their production.
Trump deportation threats to constrict already-tight job market, could cost economy $5 trillion

How else could this affect U.S. consumers? The cost of produce could skyrocket due to a lack of farm workers, and the restaurant and manufacturing industries could see severe labor shortages, driving up costs or possibly forcing businesses to close. The Social Security Trust Fund could also be impacted. According to an actuarial report by the Social Security Administration, undocumented workers using fake Social Security numbers paid $13 billion into the trust fund in 2010, and only received $1 billion in retirement benefits.

Curb the hate and get the facts, fred.

Ok so you don't think the US should have any control over immigration.  I think they should have strict laws and enforcement and basically every other country in the world thinks and does the same.
Putting word in my mouth now, fred? Stooping ever lower to defend your racism?

You need to inform yourself, fred. The US's immigration laws are plenty tough. People wait for decades just to get into the system. And that drives up illegal immigration.

Offline freddyinkorea

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2018, 07:32:40 AM »

You need to inform yourself, fred. The US's immigration laws are plenty tough. People wait for decades just to get into the system. And that drives up illegal immigration.

The words are in your writing, you actually call it hate to have immigration policy and to enforce it.  What racism do I have?  Because I said I'm for strict immigration laws?  Why the need to call people racists, when I NEVER SAID ANYTHING AGAINST ANYONES COLOR. WTF is wrong with you?

Maybe I do need to inform myself better, I sure as hell do not think I know everything about immigration.  My opinion is at this time I think strict immigration laws are needed in the US and every country for that matter. 

Gogators "People wait for decades just to get into the system. And that drives up illegal immigration."  So that makes it ok for people to break the law?  Whatever, we are sooo far off on our views, we are never going to agree with each other.  I'm in no mood to have any conversation with someone that calls me a racist for having an opinion.   

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2018, 09:08:31 AM »

The words are in your writing, you actually call it hate to have immigration policy and to enforce it.  What racism do I have?  Because I said I'm for strict immigration laws?  Why the need to call people racists, when I NEVER SAID ANYTHING AGAINST ANYONES COLOR. WTF is wrong with you?

Maybe I do need to inform myself better, I sure as hell do not think I know everything about immigration.  My opinion is at this time I think strict immigration laws are needed in the US and every country for that matter. 

Gogators "People wait for decades just to get into the system. And that drives up illegal immigration."  So that makes it ok for people to break the law?  Whatever, we are sooo far off on our views, we are never going to agree with each other.  I'm in no mood to have any conversation with someone that calls me a racist for having an opinion.
Right, it's all about them breaking the law. What other lawbreakers are you working so assiduously at stopping?

Tell me that fred.

As for racism, you are what you post, fred.

Offline freddyinkorea

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2018, 08:00:09 PM »

Right, it's all about them breaking the law. What other lawbreakers are you working so assiduously at stopping?

Tell me that fred.

I'm working so assiduously at stopping this?  Again WTF is wrong with you?  LOOK AT MY NUMBER OF POSTS ON IMMIGRATION? You are insane.

As for racism, I have few posts, it should take you 5 minutes to look at my posts and show where I have ever commented on anyones race.  Again WTF is wrong with you?

What do you equate calling someone a racist?  For me I really don't like the term especially when I said nothing about race.  Since you used the term, which I find highly derogatory,  I feel the gloves are off and you deserve to be called the scum you are. 

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 08:50:48 PM »

Tell me that fred.

I'm working so assiduously at stopping this?  Again WTF is wrong with you?  LOOK AT MY NUMBER OF POSTS ON IMMIGRATION? You are insane.

As for racism, I have few posts, it should take you 5 minutes to look at my posts and show where I have ever commented on anyones race.  Again WTF is wrong with you?

What do you equate calling someone a racist?  For me I really don't like the term especially when I said nothing about race.  Since you used the term, which I find highly derogatory,  I feel the gloves are off and you deserve to be called the scum you are.
fred, I think the lady doth protest too much.

Offline freddyinkorea

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2018, 09:44:59 PM »

Tell me that fred.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks is a figure of speech originally found as a quotation from the c. 1600 play Hamlet by William Shakespeare.[1] It is used in everyday speech to indicate doubt in someone's sincerity.

So you doubt my sincerity in what?  Again WTF is wrong with you?

Offline freddyinkorea

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2018, 10:29:22 PM »
Here's a puff piece on Trump's nasty, evil, racist ways. 

Just a couple comments about the vid.  What 19 year old doesn't know ecstasy is illegal?  Her deportation order was given more than 10 years ago, what does this have to do with Trump? So she can break laws willy nilly and we are suppose to support this?

Oh please. Almost every single American I have came across in Korea has committed similar crimes in their university days and freely admitted to it (does "weed" ring a bell?). The only difference between them and her is that they didn't get caught. Oh, and they were white.
But hey, feel free to hand yourself in. Any time now. Any time.
Nope? Then get of your high horse and use some common sense. I know your pitiful education system does not equip you for such things, but do try!

"Oh please. Almost every single American I have came across in Korea has committed similar crimes in their university days and freely admitted to it (does "weed" ring a bell?)"

So did they get caught with drugs by police and then whine when they went to jail or get deported?  My opinion, if so they are losers.  My opinion they should have learned from the lesson and showed remorse and to never do it again.

"The only difference between them and her is that they didn't get caught. Oh, and they were white."

Agreed on the never got caught, but on they were white I know white people that did get caught and spent time in prison and were also deported.  So you are wrong.

"But hey, feel free to hand yourself in. Any time now. Any time.
Nope? Then get of your high horse and use some common sense."

Another insane person.  I actually never did drugs in college, thanks for telling me I did...  But did I know drugs were illegal?  100% yes, and if I did drugs and got caught I would take 100% responsibility for my actions.

"I know your pitiful education system does not equip you for such things, but do try!"

What is my education system, Mr. Smarty pants?   

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2018, 07:22:12 AM »

Tell me that fred.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks is a figure of speech originally found as a quotation from the c. 1600 play Hamlet by William Shakespeare.[1] It is used in everyday speech to indicate doubt in someone's sincerity.

So you doubt my sincerity in what?  Again WTF is wrong with you?
Nothing, fred. Why the drama?

Since you support trumpy's lies, there's no question about your sincerity, or lack thereof.

I've yet to hear from you on what other law and order issues, besides illegal immigration, you're concerned with.

Fred: "IT"S ILLEGAL!!!" Maybe you're under the delusion they're aliens from outer space intent on invading earth.

Offline TheEnergizer

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2018, 08:09:25 AM »
I love how the biggest argument for illegal immigration is "but legal immigration is haaaaard."

I'd love to see someone try to use that argument here in Korea when their visa expires.

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2018, 12:23:25 PM »
I love how the biggest argument for illegal immigration is "but legal immigration is haaaaard."

I'd love to see someone try to use that argument here in Korea when their visa expires.
False analogy, bunny.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2018, 08:05:57 AM »

False analogy, bunny.
Actually, it's not a terrible analogy. People overstay their visas in Korea as well, and local immigration tends to be pretty ruthless when dealing with those folk. No consideration at all for circumstances.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2018, 09:16:57 AM »
Anyone who thinks they have the right to go into another country illegally and not potentially face repercussions has the mentality of a child.

I seriously can't understand the mentality of an illegal immigrant worker who feels entitled to entire another country illegally.

The only people I have sympathy for in terms of not facing consequences are the DACA types who were brought here as kids and had no real control over their situation.

Now, all that being said, some poor schlep who is crossing the border to make a few extra bucks is no evil criminal. The problem lies in the lack of an effective low-wage guest worker program that should make it legal for them to enter and work. I certainly wouldn't want the book thrown at them, but there shouldn't be any sense of entitlement.

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2018, 11:00:33 AM »

False analogy, bunny.
Actually, it's not a terrible analogy. People overstay their visas in Korea as well, and local immigration tends to be pretty ruthless when dealing with those folk. No consideration at all for circumstances.
Much easier to get a work visa in Korea, thus false analogy.

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2018, 11:02:25 AM »
Anyone who thinks they have the right to go into another country illegally and not potentially face repercussions has the mentality of a child.

I seriously can't understand the mentality of an illegal immigrant worker who feels entitled to entire another country illegally.

The only people I have sympathy for in terms of not facing consequences are the DACA types who were brought here as kids and had no real control over their situation.

Now, all that being said, some poor schlep who is crossing the border to make a few extra bucks is no evil criminal. The problem lies in the lack of an effective low-wage guest worker program that should make it legal for them to enter and work. I certainly wouldn't want the book thrown at them, but there shouldn't be any sense of entitlement.
So someone who's been paying taxes in the US etc. shouldn't think maybe they deserve a break?

Think it through.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2018, 12:17:17 PM »
So someone who's been paying taxes in the US etc. shouldn't think maybe they deserve a break?

Think it through.

If you knowingly enter a country illegally, whether you pay taxes, or not, should not entitle one to a break nor should one feel entitled to such a break.

That being said, I see no reason not to take that into consideration, but the idea that one is entitled to it, is ridiculous. You know what you're doing, you accept the consequences, and as the law-breaker, YOU don't get to dictate the boundaries of the moral argument and imply that others are acting immorally because they're not giving you a break when it comes to your illegal conduct.

But again, I'd still give them a break. I just can't stand the entitled mindset that a minority of illegals (and more of their supporters) have that they're entitled to this. By all means lets get many of them documented and granted long-stay work visas and so forth, but let's do it because our nation is generous, not because people who have entered our country ILLEGALLY feel entitled to citizenship and have demanded it.

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2018, 01:14:13 PM »

Think it through.

If you knowingly enter a country illegally, whether you pay taxes, or not, should not entitle one to a break nor should one feel entitled to such a break.

That being said, I see no reason not to take that into consideration, but the idea that one is entitled to it, is ridiculous. You know what you're doing, you accept the consequences, and as the law-breaker, YOU don't get to dictate the boundaries of the moral argument and imply that others are acting immorally because they're not giving you a break when it comes to your illegal conduct.

But again, I'd still give them a break. I just can't stand the entitled mindset that a minority of illegals (and more of their supporters) have that they're entitled to this. By all means lets get many of them documented and granted long-stay work visas and so forth, but let's do it because our nation is generous, not because people who have entered our country ILLEGALLY feel entitled to citizenship and have demanded it.
Rhetorical argument just for the sake of argument.

Laws before people--pretty funny coming from someone like yourself who always posts the he prefers the lenient Korean criminal justice system to the American one.

Hypocrisy. Why not follow the bible's commandments before judging others?

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2018, 02:40:54 PM »
Rhetorical argument just for the sake of argument.

Laws before people--pretty funny coming from someone like yourself who always posts the he prefers the lenient Korean criminal justice system to the American one.

Hypocrisy. Why not follow the bible's commandments before judging others?

As I said, I'm all for leniency. I said that multiple times.

I'm just against someone feeling entitled to leniency. Leniency should be appreciated, not expected.

Seriously, in every one of my posts on this I came out in favor of leniency and letting as many people as possible stay. I just disagree with those who say they have the right to stay (with the exception of DACA people, who I think clearly might well have the right).

Did you ever stop to think that instead of DEMANDING that illegals be allowed to stay as their ENTITLED RIGHT, if you instead something like "Even though it's not their right, I think allowing them to stay would be the COMPASSIONATE thing to do", you might get more people agreeing?

You give me a choice- 5 million illegals staying because they demanded it as their entitle right vs. those same 5 million illegals staying because we are a compassionate nation and we appreciate them as hard working contributors and you'll get a completely different answer. The first is somewhere in between a demand and a threat. The second is us acting out of compassion.

That's the difference. But anyone who comes at things from the 1st position and not the 2nd, will get no support from me.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2018, 05:29:16 PM »

False analogy, bunny.
Much easier to get a work visa in Korea, thus false analogy.
Ah, so any analogy that isn't 100% perfect is a false analogy? Interressstinggg...

A word to the wise: if the 2 things being compared are 100% the same... then it wouldn't be an analogy!

:laugh:

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/