March 23, 2019, 12:42:00 AM

Author Topic: Hypothyroidism: Will I be disqualified?  (Read 1404 times)

Offline WoodsA15

• Newgookin
Hypothyroidism: Will I be disqualified?
« on: January 14, 2018, 10:31:06 PM »
I have hypothyroidism, during the health screening would that be something that would disqualify me for placement, or get me sent home?

Offline nvflawless

• Waygookin
Re: Hypothyroidism: Will I be disqualified?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 08:46:36 AM »
No, it's pretty common, you'll be fine.
I have it, too. I know I wrote it on my health form, but it didn't really get brought up during the actual medical exam. I also didn't ask about it as I brought a year's supply of medication from home so I didn't need to get my prescription/blood work done here. If you do want to get your prescription filled in Korea, I don't really know how you would go about doing that, but I don't think you need to be worried about asking.

Offline WoodsA15

• Newgookin
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 10:17:03 AM »
Thank you so much! I have been worried about this! How did you get a years supply?

Offline internationalteacher

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 01:32:01 PM »
They don't take your TSH in Korea so they won't know what your TSH level is.

Offline nsaldana28

• Newgookin
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 01:34:51 PM »
I have hypothyroidism and I had no trouble at all. I came with a 3 month supply and have had no problems getting the meds refilled.

Offline nvflawless

• Waygookin
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 03:02:37 PM »
Thank you so much! I have been worried about this! How did you get a years supply?

My doctor in the US knew I was leaving and was willing to write me a prescription for a year's supply. She told me it was up to the pharmacist if they were willing to fill the prescription, because apparently different pharmacies have different rules regarding that, but I took mine to a RiteAid and they filled it no problem.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 10:58:55 PM »

My doctor in the US knew I was leaving and was willing to write me a prescription for a year's supply. She told me it was up to the pharmacist if they were willing to fill the prescription, because apparently different pharmacies have different rules regarding that, but I took mine to a RiteAid and they filled it no problem.

I donít think thyroid pills are big as a recreational drug, so a sensible pharmacist should be cool with it.

(I am not a doctor, pharmacist, or recreational drug user.)

Offline WoodsA15

• Newgookin
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 12:28:02 PM »
Hahaha yea... the only high you would get from those pills is higher TSH levels.

Offline Adventurer812

• Newgookin
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 05:49:16 AM »
So, I also have a question. I am working directly with a school and I also have hypothyroidism. I don't know if I should write it on the self check medical form or not. I am so stressed. I just graduated and in South Africa there are not really good paying jobs. Do Hagwons care about stuff like hypothyroidism? I know my boss cannot speak English and my co-teacher can understand me, but sometimes communicating effectively is hard. Since I have no recruiter and only the school, I worry that if they see that I have a minor health problem they will just tell me to not come and cancel my contract.

Offline plan b

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 09:37:17 AM »
So, I also have a question. I am working directly with a school and I also have hypothyroidism. I don't know if I should write it on the self check medical form or not. I am so stressed. I just graduated and in South Africa there are not really good paying jobs. Do Hagwons care about stuff like hypothyroidism? I know my boss cannot speak English and my co-teacher can understand me, but sometimes communicating effectively is hard. Since I have no recruiter and only the school, I worry that if they see that I have a minor health problem they will just tell me to not come and cancel my contract.

Its best not to say anything in this case. I have to take synthroid as well since I had to have half my thyroid gland removed. You can get thyroid meds (synthroid) at any doctor, no problem at all. Its a well known drug here. Just to let you know, for some reason they only sell it in 50, 100, or 150 mcgs though

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 10:45:22 AM »
I think they are more interested in things that will threaten your ability to do the job or cause the school to have some liability for you.  Minor things that you take meds for or can easily control are fine so long as you can do your job and go to work everyday.  But put nothing on the health form as it will create confusion.  Just say you thought it meant major health problems when you get here.