January 22, 2019, 02:22:08 PM

Author Topic: Why is Korea so stressful?  (Read 15946 times)

Online macteacher

• Expert Waygook
Re: Why is Korea so stressful?
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2018, 02:52:08 PM »

it stresses me that korea doesn't seem to want to improve its happiness index

you still constantly see stuff about china being the cause of pollution and yet shanghai is having statistically less severe pollution days the past 5 years. "china is burning coal again aigo" but conveniently ignores the massive reliance of coal here. (i just read that samsung electronics has less than 1 percent renewable energy usage compared to apple's data centers being mostly green energy etc). not to mention the fact that a lot of korean manufacturing is right across the yellow sea, wonder where that blows. 

they're cars everywhere. more cars than parking spots. those cars contribute to the pollution. institute some kind of regulation like japan where you have to prove you have a parking spot. help the pollution and help with traffic accidents. traffic accidents brings up safety. koreans still laugh about safety protocol. "how did all these people die. how were all those doors locked?!" (meanwhile when you ask a building manager to do something about blocked stairwells they get huffy). i just don't think the people want a better life in korea? easier to say hell joseon and pretend that everywhere else doesn't have hardships?

i feel bad for koreans, cause i feel like a lot of this is just manufactured pain. of course it's real in that people are stressed, but like staring a book to get good grades shouldn't make the korean experience stressful.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2018, 03:55:59 PM »
One reason might be the rampant materialism of Koreans. It takes money to keep up with the Kims. Heaven forbid a stranger might think that they are "poor"..

And yet they still don't have modern plumbing. Koreans only care about surface appearances, if they have to spend $5 on something that they will only notice every once in a while, they'll never ever do it. Then they'll go buy a Gucci purse and a BMW while their apartment smells like poop.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

sligo

« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2018, 07:41:17 PM »
One reason might be the rampant materialism of Koreans. It takes money to keep up with the Kims. Heaven forbid a stranger might think that they are "poor"..

And yet they still don't have modern plumbing. Koreans only care about surface appearances, if they have to spend $5 on something that they will only notice every once in a while, they'll never ever do it. Then they'll go buy a Gucci purse and a BMW while their apartment smells like poop.

Koreans don't knoow how to differentiate "the best" from "the most expensive".

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2018, 08:02:05 PM »
i feel bad for koreans, cause i feel like a lot of this is just manufactured pain. of course it's real in that people are stressed, but..

Actually I've finally found the reason why Korea is stressful.

Its because Koreans like creating drama.
Catch my drift?

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2018, 07:48:27 AM »
I think it's stressful because the media, the government and shills like sr/dm keep telling me and keep telling me and keep telling me how great everything is in South Korea so that I feel deprived for having grownup in the US and not SK and carry around this massive inferiority complex.

And yet, I find it difficult to apprehend this SK greatness in my daily life, which leads to more stress because it means I must just be too unintelligent to perceive that living in a very polluted environment where danger lurks in the form of nuclear holocaust (or meltdown) or merely crossing the street is in fact a joyous experience, so wonderful that people are killing themselves in record numbers because they just can't stand how happy they are. 

I guess I should mosey on down to the Mapo Bridge and try to talk to one or two of these blissed out folks (before they take the big dive of course) to find out what I'm missing about SK.

Not saying thos place is paradise, but it's nowhere as stressful as some people make it out to be. This place is cake, really.

i feel bad for koreans, cause i feel like a lot of this is just manufactured pain. of course it's real in that people are stressed, but..

Actually I've finally found the reason why Korea is stressful.

Its because Koreans like creating drama.

Look at the post above. Nuclear holocaust. Record numbers of suicides (note not of English teachers, more self-created Korean drama), crossing the street is joyous. Talk about creating drama.

Also, virtually everything on this list you could have figured out with 20 min of research on the internet. What did you expect?

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2018, 08:50:56 AM »
But I'll never understand going on vacation and spending sooo much money on a really nice hotel. It's a place to sleep and shower. That's it. If you're spending all your time at the hotel because it's really nice and they have great amenities, then you're vacationing wrong.

Depends what kind of vacation you want. For a lot of people a holiday is a chance to relax in nice surroundings and have everything done for you, not necessarily dash about all day sightseeing. Nice hotels are more pleasant to spend time in than mediocre ones.

If you want to spend time in a hotel check into one in your city.  If you are paying airfare, then surely the city you land in is where you should be spending your time, not in a hotel.  Ahotel for me is a place to sleep and little more.  As long as it has a bed and bathroom and is safe, the cheaper the better (to a cartainn degree)

Yeah, if you want a nice relaxing time in a hotel, you don't need to fly for that. Seoul has amazing ones.

Very pricey though for what they are.  For the 'nice' ones you're looking at 300 000 won upwards.  To date, the best I stayed in is the Marriott in Dongdaemun.  Now that was nice, but pricey.

Terrible value in Seoul. Fly to KL and stay in the 5 star Traders Hotel with views of the Petronas Towers. Bangkok has got some great value as well.

For one night?  :undecided:

From time to time I go up to Seoul and stay in a hotel for the fun of it. It's so nice to have a quailty hotel bed and take a break from the hard as wood bed in my tiny apartment. But 300,000? That's serious coin!  I had a nice little stay in the Ibis Ambassador recently for less than a third of that. Hardly luxury, but it did the job for an evening.
Even at that price range, I was getting some turned up looks by some of the punters in the foyer when I checked out with nothing but an overnight bag.

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2018, 10:30:16 AM »

This place is cake, really.

Birthday cake, wedding cake, anniversary cake--but suicide cake?

Online VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2018, 12:42:30 PM »
15 years in this country and I still haven't understood what's so stressful, aside from dealing with taxi drivers in Busan and teaching kindergarten kids (had one class a day of them for two years and never again, ain't my skillset). But mine is an expat's perspective.

The locals, of course, have stress put on them by their culture: some parents stress kids out with study, study, study all the time, and many kids have phantom-study stress by complaining about studying and yet they play a lot of computer games, have all weekend to play and talk a lot about trips to Everland, Guam and grandmother's house on the weekends. I think a lot of them have stress from EXPECTATIONS more than workload.

Korean dramas are full of uptight pursing-lipped angry people brooding, typifying lives of quiet desperation. It seems to resonate with small town farmer folk as much as big city people. (Cue suicide stats.)

Anyways, I'm not stressed and most other foreigners I meet don't seem to be either.

Offline fdny

• Super Waygook
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2018, 12:56:34 PM »
Anyways, I'm not stressed and most other foreigners I meet don't seem to be either.

My thoughts exactly.  I don't understand most of the comments.  If you are wired too tightly,
then don't leave your little comfort zone in the first place

Offline Foreverparadise

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2018, 01:35:20 PM »

I felt less stress in Korea than I do here in Canada when it comes to
dealing with winter and transportation. Oh and teaching EFL in Korea
is also less stressful than being a teacher here in Canada.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2018, 01:40:14 PM »

Yah, some dumb people decide to run from their problems and commit suicide, often impulsively because fo some hysterical drama like "Woe is me I didn't get into Yonsei and will have to go to some average university" or "My boyfriend dumped me" and other trivial 1st world problem hysterics.

Most Koreans accept it and move on to wherever else they got accepted to and find someone else to date.

Suicide rate here is high, but let's not overstate how many people are committing suicide.

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2018, 01:52:09 PM »

Yah, some dumb people decide to run from their problems and commit suicide, often impulsively because fo some hysterical drama like "Woe is me I didn't get into Yonsei and will have to go to some average university" or "My boyfriend dumped me" and other trivial 1st world problem hysterics.

Most Koreans accept it and move on to wherever else they got accepted to and find someone else to date.

Suicide rate here is high, but let's not overstate how many people are committing suicide.
No overstatement.

It's a pity you choose to trivialize what is a serious problem. I guess as long as you can sit on your brains all day, all is right in your world. 

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2018, 02:10:03 PM »

No overstatement.

It's a pity you choose to trivialize what is a serious problem. I guess as long as you can sit on your brains all day, all is right in your world.

30 out of 100,000. It's high, but when you look at overall life expectancy, it's not like everyone here is offing themselves that you have bodies piling up in the morgue or anything.

It does need to come down, but how much of this is real stress and how is overdramatic nonsense?

Me, I'd tell them the same thing I'd tell whiny expats- lighten up. Things could be a lot worse and stop getting bent out of shape over your overlydramatic nonsense.

Offline Jacksoncolumbo

• Explorer
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2018, 02:32:18 PM »
https://www.economist.com/news/asia/21591211-loneliness-and-poverty-are-killers-poor-spirits

Please do not dismiss the evidence or the very real tragedy of suicide. And in the case of South Korea, especially among the elderly.
(figure for 2011) 'more than 4,000 South Koreans over the age of 65 committed suicide: a rate five times higher than in 1990, and nearly four times the rich-country average.'
As noted, the highest rate for suicide is among the post 65s.
As the article points out, self-inflicted harm is not covered under the national medical plan.
This means that there are no 'cry-for-helps.' When suicide is attempted, it is planned and carried out.
Dismissing these as failed University entrance tests or relationships gone sour is either willful ignorance or disingenuous.
One poster consistently demands that the benefit of the doubt be observed when it suits them.
No, that concession cuts both ways and you might have given it better reflection before you submitted something so ugly.

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2018, 03:38:55 PM »

No overstatement.

30 out of 100,000. It's high, but when you look at overall life expectancy, it's not like everyone here is offing themselves that you have bodies piling up in the morgue or anything.

It does need to come down, but how much of this is real stress and how is overdramatic nonsense?

Me, I'd tell them the same thing I'd tell whiny expats- lighten up. Things could be a lot worse and stop getting bent out of shape over your overlydramatic nonsense.
Let us know when someone close to you dies so we can advise you to "lighten up."

"Things could be a lot worse." What a moronic statement--things can always be worse.

Offline Foreverparadise

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2018, 01:13:15 AM »
I have to point out something.
When it comes to being a Native English teacher in Korea, it is
a myth to say that you will not go through any stress when you
are here. I worked in Korea for 7 years under GEPIK and EPIK,
and I have read and heard horrifying stories of what NET's have
gone through teaching in hagwons. I know that I would have gone
through more stress in the hagwons than in the public school
system where I worked, but I have had stressors when teaching
in the public school. There are other stressors I have encountered
such as riding through heavy traffic on the highway on a bus going
to Incheon Airport.

But here is what I really have to point out, life is what you
make it. We all have jobs to do but at the same time, you
have to take control of the choices you make, such as the
people you choose in your surroundings and the way you
spend your money etc. There are some things that we cannot
control, other than that life is what you make it. If you know that
there are some optional things that will cause you more stress,
opt out of it. It's all in your mind. It's your life, your mind, your
health, your money, your choice.

Offline SteveBruce

• Veteran
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2018, 08:23:22 AM »

No overstatement.

What a fatuous, repulsive thing to say. Suicide isn't the result of people being overly dramatic. It is an accumulation of trauma which has developed over a period of time to where the individual no longer feels they have a way out. Do you think people are jumping off buildings because they're over dramatic? No, its a culmination of their stresses which have been touched upon here. Emphasis on their stresses being part of their society, not ours, before you bring up deskwarming again.

You've gone to such a ridiculous length to once again defend Korea, however your point works against you.

Is it an innate characteristics of Koreans which makes them "over dramatic"?

Or is it

Self-imposed, self-perpetually induced stress caused by their surrounding environment?

I'll let you choose which one, because according to your logic people are a lot less dramatic in the west.

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2018, 08:48:26 AM »
If people could just look at the statistics(2012), you'll find that elderly males make up for a large % of the suicides. This is due to poverty, feeling that they are a burden on their kids, and as a result of Koreans turning their backs on their parents despite being given everything by them.

Telling Koreans to stop being so dramatic illustrates the sociopathic nature of some posters on here who really need to get out of here and experience life outside of the Internet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_South_Korea#/media/File:Suicide_rate_in_South_Korea_2012.svg

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2018, 08:55:59 AM »
Let us know when someone close to you dies so we can advise you to "lighten up."

"Things could be a lot worse." What a moronic statement--things can always be worse.

Unless someone offs themselves because they're mentally/terminally ill or because they want to spare their family medical bills or similar circumstances which at least are rational decisions, or perhaps some EXTREME cases of someone getting abused and crapped on, I have little sympathy for suicide. I feel sorry for their loved ones, but for the person who chooses to do so, I have little sympathy.

There's people out there who handle crap 5X as worse with 10X the guts and determination. People who will fight for life with their last breath. Look at kids in cancer wards who aren't going to see 20 yet still have more determination.

If they did it so they could at least donate their organs to survivors, then at least that's something, but most don't even do that. Just the ultimate in me me me thinking.

Do you think people are jumping off buildings because they're over dramatic? No, its a culmination of their stresses which have been touched upon here.

Whatever. Did you lose your job? Gee that's never happened to anyone else. Wife and kids leave? That's never happened to anyone else. In debt? That's never happened before to people.

Dismissing these as failed University entrance tests or relationships gone sour is either willful ignorance or disingenuous.

The elderly are 4,000 out of 30,000 total. What are the rest? Something like 1/3rd up to 75% of suicides are impulsive acts.  http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp0805923

Is it an innate characteristics of Koreans which makes them "over dramatic"?

Or is it

Self-imposed, self-perpetually induced stress caused by their surrounding environment?

I'll let you choose which one, because according to your logic people are a lot less dramatic in the west.

I don't know what it is, but it is probably my least favorite thing about Korea and the one that will absolutely get me riled.

Almost all of the suicides I've experienced have been utterly selfish acts mixed with either cowardice or extreme overdramatization. I WISH they were because of mental illness because then I could at least feel considerable sympathy for them. Heck, terminal disease let's have a last big bash before you see yourself out. Because you got dumped? For attention? Because this world is too hard? Sorry, but I am under no obligation to in any way mitigate the awfulness of what you chose to do.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2018, 09:00:34 AM »
Martin is never afraid to offer an opinion on any subject.

His time behind the counter at Pizza Hut has prepared him for the cold, hard, brutal parts of life. He knows what it's like to dance with the devil. He knows that Koreans are just being a bunch of drama queens by commiting suicide in record numbers.

The funny part is, if this was another thread and someone else made the above claim, we would be front row to patented Martin performance piece where he shows his disgust for anyone who would dare make such a comment. But becuase it suits his argument point here, that Korea is devoid of stress and anyone who feels stress is a liar, a ***** or  overly dramatic, he's turning on his own kinsmen.
Kpip! - Martin 2018