March 25, 2019, 01:31:58 AM

Author Topic: Why is Korea so stressful?  (Read 18367 times)

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
Re: Why is Korea so stressful?
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2018, 01:40:40 PM »

Oh of course those exist. There's also a lot that busted their butts. Now they're working for Google or Pfizer or whatever.

Like there are in any country. Your point being?

Offline Tony Teacher

• Veteran
  • Tony Choi from EntrepreneurKorea.com
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2018, 02:08:36 PM »
Korea is very fast paced, lots of things changing all the time, lots of people living in a small area, lots of people competing for the same jobs, and people are judged on a bunch of factors that they may have no control over, like socio-economic status, who their parents are, etc. Korea is a very stressful place to live if you are a normal Korean person trying to make a living and trying to fit into society. A lot of Koreans are used to this and think this is part of life, so they can deal with stress a lot better than Non-Koreans who are working in Korea, but there are still many who have trouble dealing with it.

Now, if you are saying that Korea is stressful as an ESL instructor, then I believe you have not experienced a lot of hardships in your life. Life can be very stressful, but life as an ESL instructor in Korea isn't something that comes to mind as a stressful lifestyle. Of course you can experience a lot of hardships as an ESL instructor in Korea, especially if you had somewhat of a privileged upbringing, but Korea itself should not be so stressful to deal with as an ESL instructor, unless of course you are a Korean Citizen whose first language is Korean.
Business Consultant and Coach at www.entrepreneurkorea.com and www.hagwonstart.com

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2018, 02:27:15 PM »
But I'll never understand going on vacation and spending sooo much money on a really nice hotel. It's a place to sleep and shower. That's it. If you're spending all your time at the hotel because it's really nice and they have great amenities, then you're vacationing wrong.

Depends what kind of vacation you want. For a lot of people a holiday is a chance to relax in nice surroundings and have everything done for you, not necessarily dash about all day sightseeing. Nice hotels are more pleasant to spend time in than mediocre ones.

If you want to spend time in a hotel check into one in your city.  If you are paying airfare, then surely the city you land in is where you should be spending your time, not in a hotel.  Ahotel for me is a place to sleep and little more.  As long as it has a bed and bathroom and is safe, the cheaper the better (to a cartainn degree)

Yeah, if you want a nice relaxing time in a hotel, you don't need to fly for that. Seoul has amazing ones.
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline SteveBruce

• Veteran
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2018, 02:34:30 PM »
But I'll never understand going on vacation and spending sooo much money on a really nice hotel. It's a place to sleep and shower. That's it. If you're spending all your time at the hotel because it's really nice and they have great amenities, then you're vacationing wrong.

Depends what kind of vacation you want. For a lot of people a holiday is a chance to relax in nice surroundings and have everything done for you, not necessarily dash about all day sightseeing. Nice hotels are more pleasant to spend time in than mediocre ones.

If you want to spend time in a hotel check into one in your city.  If you are paying airfare, then surely the city you land in is where you should be spending your time, not in a hotel.  Ahotel for me is a place to sleep and little more.  As long as it has a bed and bathroom and is safe, the cheaper the better (to a cartainn degree)

Yeah, if you want a nice relaxing time in a hotel, you don't need to fly for that. Seoul has amazing ones.

It depends where you're from, where you're going and what you're looking for. If I'm from England and I'm flying 15 hours to Japan, I don't think anyone is going to be spending their whole time in a fancy hotel. You've flown 15 hours, you wanna see stuff. But hey, if you can afford it I'm sure it will add to your experience.

If I'm flying only 3 hours to a Greek island coming from dreary London, I would love to chill in a 5* hotel and sip drinks by the pool for a week. That experience would top anything in.. Seoul

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2018, 02:39:05 PM »

Really? I didn't know that. I thought they all had no chairs, futons and squat toilets. 

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2018, 02:43:22 PM »

Very pricey though for what they are.  For the 'nice' ones you're looking at 300 000 won upwards.  To date, the best I stayed in is the Marriott in Dongdaemun.  Now that was nice, but pricey.

Terrible value in Seoul. Fly to KL and stay in the 5 star Traders Hotel with views of the Petronas Towers. Bangkok has got some great value as well.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2018, 02:44:34 PM »

Oh of course those exist. There's also a lot that busted their butts. Now they're working for Google or Pfizer or whatever.

Like there are in any country. Your point being?

My point is that you should at least try. What do you think happens to those that don't try their hardest and best? Same with back home. Sure there's the "outside-the-box" success stories, but there are a lot of kids who chose to study instead of going outside to hang out or logged onto Steam and now they're reaping the rewards.

Think about all the people who grew up back home who aren't where we are and are struggling and spent a lot of their time not studying and such. And there's plenty of slack-offs here.

At least the Korean kids who busted their butt and didn't make it to the top can look back and say they left everything on the table to try to get there. In which case, go work some menial job and party after.

My point was that the average Korean studies more and works longer hours than the average person back home, but the average Korean life with average study habits and work hours does not automatically mean moving abroad and working a high level job in a good company. Those hours and study habits are simply what is expected of them to survive and get their foot in the door. They bust their asses to be nameless employees at shitty companies that squeeze free work out of them and deny them sick leave and overtime pay.

But as I said, perhaps that busting their hump gets them a working/middle-class lifestyle where they might be poor instead. It's a competitive world out there and that's reality.

Many of us had the good fortune to grow up in a country like the U.S. or U.K. which had a phenomenal standard of living relative to the rest of the world and speak a language that other countries will pay people a living wage to teach with minimal qualifications. Now, we didn't have much if any of a hand in that, but some here think that's an accomplishment. Often that was achieved by our ancestors busting THEIR butts working Korean-style hours or putting up with a crappy boss or studying for hours to be the first member of their family to go to college.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2018, 02:46:20 PM »
My point is that you should at least try. What do you think happens to those that don't try their hardest and best? Same with back home. Sure there's the "outside-the-box" success stories, but there are a lot of kids who chose to study instead of going outside to hang out or logged onto Steam and now they're reaping the rewards.

Think about all the people who grew up back home who aren't where we are and are struggling and spent a lot of their time not studying and such. And there's plenty of slack-offs here.

At least the Korean kids who busted their butt and didn't make it to the top can look back and say they left everything on the table to try to get there. In which case, go work some menial job and party after.

So your point is 'you can do anything if you believe in yourself enough' type thing.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2018, 02:46:31 PM »
Terrible value in Seoul. Fly to KL and stay in the 5 star Traders Hotel with views of the Petronas Towers. Bangkok has got some great value as well.

I agree with this. I lean towards the side of nice hotels vs., to put it kindly, "alternative" vacation styles, but to each their own. Regardless, Korea is NOT the place to go for a hotel getaway on smart money.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2018, 02:57:56 PM »
Really? I didn't know that. I thought they all had no chairs, futons and squat toilets.

No, no, that's a pension. hahahaha
The joys of fauxtherhood

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2018, 02:59:53 PM »

So your point is 'you can do anything if you believe in yourself enough' type thing.
Yeah, power of positive thinking, discipline, hard work, save and sacrifice, make hay while the sun is shining, be an ant and not a grasshopper, that sort of thing. It's not a guarantee of great success, but it does improve your odds. One thing it DOES do is prevent failure and abject poverty barring Force majeure and such. Spending all those hours to end up a middleman isn't great, but it sure beats not spending those hours and ending up doing menial work for little pay.

To use another example to present the point, it's like people who train to be athletes. A small percentage go on to be professionals who make star money. And there are some who float by on talent or family name (obviously less of a factor in sports) and having wealthy parents to send you to sports camp can help. But those who train hard can still get good rewards- maybe a scholarship that they can turn into a degree and a job. Or maybe a job as a coach. Or maybe be a PT making at least decent enough money not to be on the street or serving fries.

Then there are people who never give it their all in training and are left to wonder if they had maybe put forth a little more, they might have gone a level up. Now of course, genetics factors in far more, but there is still an element of effort.

That isn't for everyone and that kind of view can stamp someone down, but it can help the mediocre become the good or the poor become the mediocre.

Online msession1992

• Explorer
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2018, 03:36:37 PM »
I am experiencing a lot of stress here. I don't think Korea is the culprit of my stress but it isn't helping. For myself it's more like I am stressed in Korea vs Korea is stressful.

1st of all I am fresh out of university more or less. 23 when I graduated & started my job. I am 1 year & 4 months into my Public School job (middle school). I finished university & started work in Korea. I could've taught ESL in the US with the company I did an internship with but I am really trying to get financially stable. Paying my student loans on top of rent, needing a car to get around in the US, health care deducatbles & all of the other things that come with adulting in the US, I'd be struggling to stay afloat.  I studied Applied Linguistics & my professor thought it would be a good idea to work here to save money, pay loans, & see if I truly like teaching. I went through with it & here we are & I hate to say it but I don't like it here.

While I went straight from Uni to Korea, I have been around. I've been to France, Croatia, Mexico, & Quebec, Canada before coming to Korea. I wouldn't consider myself a backpack style traveler. I've spent 3 months in each of these countries & to get a proper feel because I won't know if I really liked something if I've only been there for a a week max. So going from those places to here is very different. I learned a valuable lesson that vacationing somewhere is different from actually working & that makes me sad. & I'm doing the SAME thing I'd be doing but instead of working for Uncle Sam I'm working for Uncle Kim. I thought it'd be more glamourous I can't lie. My friends think I have it made but I'm like I have a 9-5 just like you only I'm in a different country. Don't get me wrong I enjoy my coworkers, my kids, & teaching in general but not a huge fan of the way things are done here work-wise.

My money situation also stresses me out. I came to Korea with 27K in student loan debts. I know many people who don't care about debts but its hard for me to sleep at night knowing I owe someone that much money. It so uncomfortable. I got them down to 19K at this point. I could've done better but I traveled to Thailand, went to Seoul a lot & did shopping trips. I like that we have enough money to pay things off while enjoying life somewhat. If I wanted to live like that in the US I would've had to supplement with an AMEX or Discover card. But I want this debt gone fairly quickly. Paid by the end of my 3rd year so I had to cut back on some expenses. No vacations & only going to Seoul once a month for parties, only buying necessary things. So far so good. But being frugal makes it more annoying.

Also being sober from weed is kinda driving me mad. I have anxiety. Well the doctor said I did. I was prescribed meds in the US but nothing really worked. Its like I was a zombie & overall felt worse. Once it got to the point where the doctor wanted to prescribe me Xanax, I was like no thanks, I'll just smoke weed. I was very productive handled my stresses well & didnt feel like a zombie. I'm not a drinker I feel like alcohol brings me down & makes me even more depressed. When everyone goes out drinking I have a good time with my water but sometimes I'm like Lord if I had a blunt this would be intergallactic. So battling sobriety is ****** hard & creates a stress all on its own. I just listen to Chief Kief "I hate being sober" in my apartment & rage out & then have a good laugh at myself.

I honestly feel like I brought my stress with me to Korea. I feel like I would've experienced stress anywhere I went to be honest. The phrase "Where ever you go, there you are" is my life motto. Even if I was in 420 friendly America. I'd say there are little microaggressions of the job like desk warming, no requested off days, taking a vacation on the days that your boss approves, not the days you actually want, lack of preparedness, last minute things, failure to let me know important things like updating my ARC. I just feel like those are triggers for what I already have inside. I see my coworkers cope with their stress & it either inspires me or worries me. It is rather annoying though & some days I feel like I'm sitting on a chair full of needles. But this experience is very real & true. The uncomfort has really lit a fire under my ass to get things done quickly.

I plan on going back to the US because I can't get jiggy with it here. The devil you know vs the devil you don't! I'd love to visit Korea after leaving but working here ever again, oh no. I feel like I will feel stress when I return because there is readjusting. However, my financial situation will be a lot better. Sure I'd only make 50K as a Middle School English teacher but with no debt & savings I should live quite comfortably (I live in the South so that's a lot of money down there lol). I'm doing the GATAPP alternative teaching program. I'll recieve a nonrenewable license & will be eligible for a permanent license in 3 years. Once I'm legit certified I can try for international schools, if working abroad is something I want to do ever again.

I am very stressed but living in Korea has taught me how to become 1 with it & cope in healthy ways.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2018, 03:54:37 PM »
I am experiencing a lot of stress here. I don't think Korea is the culprit of my stress but it isn't helping. For myself it's more like I am stressed in Korea vs Korea is stressful.

1st of all I am fresh out of university more or less. 23 when I graduated & started my job. I am 1 year & 4 months into my Public School job (middle school). I finished university & started work in Korea. I could've taught ESL in the US with the company I did an internship with but I am really trying to get financially stable. Paying my student loans on top of rent, needing a car to get around in the US, health care deducatbles & all of the other things that come with adulting in the US, I'd be struggling to stay afloat.  I studied Applied Linguistics & my professor thought it would be a good idea to work here to save money, pay loans, & see if I truly like teaching. I went through with it & here we are & I hate to say it but I don't like it here.

While I went straight from Uni to Korea, I have been around. I've been to France, Croatia, Mexico, & Quebec, Canada before coming to Korea. I wouldn't consider myself a backpack style traveler. I've spent 3 months in each of these countries & to get a proper feel because I won't know if I really liked something if I've only been there for a a week max. So going from those places to here is very different. I learned a valuable lesson that vacationing somewhere is different from actually working & that makes me sad. & I'm doing the SAME thing I'd be doing but instead of working for Uncle Sam I'm working for Uncle Kim. I thought it'd be more glamourous I can't lie. My friends think I have it made but I'm like I have a 9-5 just like you only I'm in a different country. Don't get me wrong I enjoy my coworkers, my kids, & teaching in general but not a huge fan of the way things are done here work-wise.

My money situation also stresses me out. I came to Korea with 27K in student loan debts. I know many people who don't care about debts but its hard for me to sleep at night knowing I owe someone that much money. It so uncomfortable. I got them down to 19K at this point. I could've done better but I traveled to Thailand, went to Seoul a lot & did shopping trips. I like that we have enough money to pay things off while enjoying life somewhat. If I wanted to live like that in the US I would've had to supplement with an AMEX or Discover card. But I want this debt gone fairly quickly. Paid by the end of my 3rd year so I had to cut back on some expenses. No vacations & only going to Seoul once a month for parties, only buying necessary things. So far so good. But being frugal makes it more annoying.

Also being sober from weed is kinda driving me mad. I have anxiety. Well the doctor said I did. I was prescribed meds in the US but nothing really worked. Its like I was a zombie & overall felt worse. Once it got to the point where the doctor wanted to prescribe me Xanax, I was like no thanks, I'll just smoke weed. I was very productive handled my stresses well & didnt feel like a zombie. I'm not a drinker I feel like alcohol brings me down & makes me even more depressed. When everyone goes out drinking I have a good time with my water but sometimes I'm like Lord if I had a blunt this would be intergallactic. So battling sobriety is ****** hard & creates a stress all on its own. I just listen to Chief Kief "I hate being sober" in my apartment & rage out & then have a good laugh at myself.

I honestly feel like I brought my stress with me to Korea. I feel like I would've experienced stress anywhere I went to be honest. The phrase "Where ever you go, there you are" is my life motto. Even if I was in 420 friendly America. I'd say there are little microaggressions of the job like desk warming, no requested off days, taking a vacation on the days that your boss approves, not the days you actually want, lack of preparedness, last minute things, failure to let me know important things like updating my ARC. I just feel like those are triggers for what I already have inside. I see my coworkers cope with their stress & it either inspires me or worries me. It is rather annoying though & some days I feel like I'm sitting on a chair full of needles. But this experience is very real & true. The uncomfort has really lit a fire under my ass to get things done quickly.

I plan on going back to the US because I can't get jiggy with it here. The devil you know vs the devil you don't! I'd love to visit Korea after leaving but working here ever again, oh no. I feel like I will feel stress when I return because there is readjusting. However, my financial situation will be a lot better. Sure I'd only make 50K as a Middle School English teacher but with no debt & savings I should live quite comfortably (I live in the South so that's a lot of money down there lol). I'm doing the GATAPP alternative teaching program. I'll recieve a nonrenewable license & will be eligible for a permanent license in 3 years. Once I'm legit certified I can try for international schools, if working abroad is something I want to do ever again.

I am very stressed but living in Korea has taught me how to become 1 with it & cope in healthy ways.

So you went on holiday for a whole year and now you're stressed about how much money you owe? Could you not have paid off your student debts with the money you spent vacationing?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 03:59:41 PM by eggieguffer »

Offline stan rogers

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2018, 04:37:46 PM »

Have you noticed that your way of having fun and relieving your stress involves spending a lot of money which increases your stress about debt? Simple lifestyle changes toward non-monetary ways of having fun (even just temporarily) could alleviate both problems.

Example: I had a friend similar to yourself. My friend got a cheap gym membership, exercised regularly for a year, got in great shape, stopped drinking in Seoul, didn't travel and now looks and feels great and has paid off a lot of debt.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 04:42:03 PM by stan rogers »

Offline Ivan

• Waygookin
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2018, 10:44:04 PM »
How about living in an apartment when you spent your whole life living in a house, with a backyard.............oh yeah, the SKY too.  How often do you see the open sky in Seoul? 

Offline internationalteacher

• Veteran
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2018, 11:11:03 PM »

Very pricey though for what they are.  For the 'nice' ones you're looking at 300 000 won upwards.  To date, the best I stayed in is the Marriott in Dongdaemun.  Now that was nice, but pricey.
How on earth a plonker like you could afford 300,000 won for a hotel is beyond me. Ignore.

Offline Ivan

• Waygookin
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2018, 01:39:44 AM »
Some people have answers for everything....or is it all people? Does Korea sound like a stress-free place for a vacation? Is Korea one of the top countries for suicide? At what level are Koreans racist and judgmental(you have to be around them after all)? How about the North Korea issue (no stress there, right?!)?

Ask anybody, especially a foreigner about their true feelings...........the truth will be, Korea is stressful. Stressful for Koreans and especially stressful for foreigners.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend for anybody to come to Korea. Would you? 

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2018, 02:55:44 AM »

No, I wouldn't.

Having said that a lot of visitors are impressed by it when only staying a few days or a week. It takes a few weeks for disillusionment to set in.
Catch my drift?

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2018, 09:39:59 AM »
How about living in an apartment when you spent your whole life living in a house, with a backyard.............oh yeah, the SKY too.  How often do you see the open sky in Seoul?

It's called living in a big city. It's also called living in a densely populated country.

I mean what did you expect? Did you bother to research at all before you came?

Some people have answers for everything....or is it all people? Does Korea sound like a stress-free place for a vacation? Is Korea one of the top countries for suicide? At what level are Koreans racist and judgmental(you have to be around them after all)? How about the North Korea issue (no stress there, right?!)?

Ask anybody, especially a foreigner about their true feelings...........the truth will be, Korea is stressful. Stressful for Koreans and especially stressful for foreigners.

While not denying Korean racism, you do realize that stuff comes with being a minority in any country, right?

Also, North Korea? Really? What did you expect when you moved here?
Did you ever live during the Cold War? That stuff is old hat and you get used to it.

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2018, 01:48:16 PM »
I think it's stressful because the media, the government and shills like sr/dm keep telling me and keep telling me and keep telling me how great everything is in South Korea so that I feel deprived for having grownup in the US and not SK and carry around this massive inferiority complex.

And yet, I find it difficult to apprehend this SK greatness in my daily life, which leads to more stress because it means I must just be too unintelligent to perceive that living in a very polluted environment where danger lurks in the form of nuclear holocaust (or meltdown) or merely crossing the street is in fact a joyous experience, so wonderful that people are killing themselves in record numbers because they just can't stand how happy they are. 

I guess I should mosey on down to the Mapo Bridge and try to talk to one or two of these blissed out folks (before they take the big dive of course) to find out what I'm missing about SK.