March 25, 2019, 01:40:57 AM

Author Topic: Why is Korea so stressful?  (Read 18371 times)

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
Re: Why is Korea so stressful?
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2018, 11:15:06 AM »
Korea is guilty of culturally induced, self perpetuating stress on its people.

It reminds me a bit of the UK in terms of the nanny state. Everything is uneccesarily complicated in terms of rules and paperwork. Doing the simplest thing requires another round of filling in forms.
Catch my drift?

Offline Jacksoncolumbo

• Explorer
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2018, 11:22:32 AM »
You think YOU have a tough life and claim it’s stressful???!!
You try monitoring every board where one of these so called ‘foreign types’ dares to say ‘sometimes I get a bit fed up living in Korea.’
Just try it!
I have to deny myself sleep, scan multiple threads and then drag that thread off at a tangent, every time! YOU think that’s easy? Coming up with flimsy whataboutism, false equivalences and tired old ‘I once knew a person who’ whilst with no sense of irony calling out anyone else that tries the same trick.
I’m worn out with attacking others qualifications, education and life choices whilst simultaneously showing I have no firm grip of what coherent debate, let alone courteous discussion even is. Progressively revealing that my education was less Socratic and more ‘nail of frozen p*** through the turnip I call a brain.’
That’s graft, sheer graft I tell you.
You don’t know you’re born!
Imagine you were an astronaut on mars, who never fully developed an emotional connection with your world war 2/Vietnam/war-of-Jenkins-ear grandmother.
Who died childless and alone.
During Diwali.
With a radio that only played Alanis Morisette.
I have had to make people acknowledge the plight of small plane pilot/supply teacher/inner city dwelling/struggling seamstresses when the original point was about someone’s heating not working!
None of you know how difficult it is posting long copy/paste sections including everything previously posted and then only responding to each and every point by taking it out of context.
You think it’s easy making myself believe that I’ve actually made a decent argument?
Attacking everyone without being able to use the term ‘snowflake.’
But still having to make myself ill trotting out lazy ‘some folk will find anything to complain about’ tropes.
Intellectual gymnastics and convoluted wordplay which can only be attained by me and Isadora Duncan on tamazepam.
You all are lucky.
Because that’s a real, full days work and don’t any of you forget it!

(Much of the above is inspired by the Monty Python sketch about the Son/coal miner father/writer. It’s very good, please watch it.
And the first ‘derail’ by you-know-who was simply begging for this.)

Offline vanlianjoseph@gmail.com

• Waygookin
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2018, 11:23:39 AM »
This place is cake. If you think this is stress, you don't know stress.

I don't know. I don't find it particularly stressful, but Korea does seem to top a lot lists of most miserable perople, most stressed children, unhappiest people, type things. Young people refer to their own country as "hell".

Koreans also moan when it drops below 10 degrees and declare it subarctic. Even in Korean living this place is cake.

You want stress? Work 2 full-times while being a single mother. Spend 8 years in prison. Work some 3D job that puts you an inch away from death 8 hours a day. Dodge torpedoes in the North Atlantic or storm Okinawa. Spend 12 hours a day in subsistence farming.

"Oh woe is me I have to work till 8 filing paperwork." "Woe is me I have to prepare food for the family and suck up to mother-in-law on Chuseok" "Woe is me someone bumped me on the subway and my coteacher told me I have to deskwarm."

Some of the dumbest whataboutery so far.   :rolleyes:  Can I play?  Stress?  Let's not forget those sadly misunderstood part-time sword-swallowers pushed to the limits by Gordon Ramsey Cass-fuelled alcoholism, who are juggling their child's nursery bills, while circumnavigating new recent circus laws that limit the length of the swords, which the main reason people hire them.  The longer the better.  That is stress!!  Someone, please think of them.

A few different ways to read into that ;).

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2018, 11:37:46 AM »
I have a cake job with almost no oversight. I can see the sullen looks on Korean and foreign faces alike when out for a walk or doing some shopping.

We too would like to get a uni job. But not easy to get. Not anymore.

http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=104574.msg687591#msg687591

I first came in 2002

I left the country for awhile, saw the uni I had worked at was hiring again, emailed a professor, and then got the job again. They just took down the ad. Didn't even have to do the documentation and fingerprints and all that because they still had me on the payroll.

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2018, 11:44:00 AM »
So then why does Korea consistently come near top in unhappiest people studies?

....Disconnected familial relations

This country tends to have terribly disconnected relationships between people. Not only is there a relentless hierarchy that corrupts the way people interract but Koreans seem naturally quite mean to eachother. They don't seem to do the agreeable small talk, pleasantries and default niceness that other nationalities have. And if you're not Korean they think you're not worth knowing.
Catch my drift?

Offline friendofcletus

• Veteran
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2018, 12:02:32 PM »
because it's part of their culture to needlessly SUFFER.

I think this has a lot to do with it. Ingrained in Korean life is this idea that one must suffer through it. While this has changed a lot with upward economic mobility, deep down the Korean psyche is branded with this "suffering for the sake of (insert name/country/company)" ideal.

But I think a lot of it is for show. Stay at home mother's pretending that their work is so difficult when they send the kids off to hagwon until 8 o'clock each night. Or their husbands who 'have to' go out drinking and whoring. I will complain about my suffering to let you know who much I am suffering...because as Aristotle said...a good Korean is one who suffers and suffers well. And The Cure said that too.

Offline plan b

• Veteran
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2018, 12:17:42 PM »
One reason might be the rampant materialism of Koreans. It takes money to keep up with the Kims. Heaven forbid a stranger might think that they are "poor"..

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2018, 12:28:02 PM »
This culture is extremely shallow and it's hard for Koreans to find a sense of worth in things that arent image related or don't have a monetary value. A lot of Koreans know this and don't even deny it at all, so the Waygook Korean Defense League need not come out of the woodwork to deny it.

Yeah, I'm really thankful to my dad for being a tightwad when I was raised. We were well off, no doubt, but there was a lot of camping in my childhood. Which is great!

But I'll never understand going on vacation and spending sooo much money on a really nice hotel. It's a place to sleep and shower. That's it. If you're spending all your time at the hotel because it's really nice and they have great amenities, then you're vacationing wrong.

Having a car is okay, I'm not against cars. But it gets me from point A to B. I want one that's built well. A decent stereo (Music is life) and AC. That's it. No bullhit. 600HP is A) terrible for gas consumprion and therefore your wallet and the environment, and B) the speed limit is 100km/h anyway.

If cars are your thing and you have a membership to a track, then great, I love people who are passionate about their hobbies. But if you're driving your kids to hakwon in a Porsche Cayenne 911, then why? Who cares?
The joys of fauxtherhood

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2018, 12:33:34 PM »
But I'll never understand going on vacation and spending sooo much money on a really nice hotel. It's a place to sleep and shower. That's it. If you're spending all your time at the hotel because it's really nice and they have great amenities, then you're vacationing wrong.

Depends what kind of vacation you want. For a lot of people a holiday is a chance to relax in nice surroundings and have everything done for you, not necessarily dash about all day sightseeing. Nice hotels are more pleasant to spend time in than mediocre ones.

sligo

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2018, 12:38:41 PM »

Depends what kind of vacation you want. For a lot of people a holiday is a chance to relax in nice surroundings and have everything done for you, not necessarily dash about all day sightseeing. Nice hotels are more pleasant to spend time in than mediocre ones.

If you want to spend time in a hotel check into one in your city.  If you are paying airfare, then surely the city you land in is where you should be spending your time, not in a hotel.  Ahotel for me is a place to sleep and little more.  As long as it has a bed and bathroom and is safe, the cheaper the better (to a cartainn degree)

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2018, 12:43:34 PM »

If you want to spend time in a hotel check into one in your city.  If you are paying airfare, then surely the city you land in is where you should be spending your time, not in a hotel.  Ahotel for me is a place to sleep and little more.  As long as it has a bed and bathroom and is safe, the cheaper the better (to a cartainn degree)

Again, that's you and I felt similar when I was younger. Nowadays I don't have the energy to walk the streets all day and probably spend around half the day on holiday at the hotel. The rest of the time I do the tourist stuff.

Online TheEnergizer

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2018, 12:45:34 PM »

Again, that's you and I felt similar when I was younger. Nowadays I don't have the energy to walk the streets all day and probably spend around half the day on holiday at the hotel. The rest of the time I do the tourist stuff.

God I hate travel snobs. Who the f$ck cares how someone travels? I have friends that do the whole hostel thing and some that prefer to go somewhere, spend nice coin on a resort and relax. Do you. Neither one is right or wrong.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2018, 12:46:01 PM »

I want 5 things out of a vacation: Delicious food, delicious weather, beach, rest, and room service. I will have all of these, or I don't consider it vacation. Sight-seeing is meh.

Offline SteveBruce

• Veteran
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2018, 12:53:30 PM »

God I hate travel snobs. Who the f$ck cares how someone travels? I have friends that do the whole hostel thing and some that prefer to go somewhere, spend nice coin on a resort and relax. Do you. Neither one is right or wrong.

Agreed. You do you.

And if I could afford it I would love to spend my time relaxing in a 5* hotel.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2018, 01:09:00 PM »
LOL @ the idea of all these Koreans moving abroad and getting jobs at high level countries. They wish!!   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Only the lucky ones with rich parents or connections get to move abroad after all their hard work. They "study" for endless hours just to end up at some lower or mid level salary job where they have to give up any free time and lick their boss's balls for a chance to get a promotion. They put in so much work and stress and get the bare minimum in return. H

First, not only the ones with rich parents or connections get to move abroad. Lots of people want to immigrate and study to the U.S. or U.K. Those that get to do so are there because they put in the effort.

I don't think a mid-level job is the bare minimum. Yes, you have to work hard and strive in order to get results. It's a competitive global marketplace and you have to put forth the effort. That effort transformed Korea from a country that was below Ethiopia post WWII into an economic dynamo.

I think this has a lot to do with it. Ingrained in Korean life is this idea that one must suffer through it. While this has changed a lot with upward economic mobility, deep down the Korean psyche is branded with this "suffering for the sake of (insert name/country/company)" ideal.

On a lighter note, imagine taking all of this and then being a Catholic Korean on top of it!

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2018, 01:14:04 PM »
First, not only the ones with rich parents or connections get to move abroad. Lots of people want to immigrate and study to the U.S. or U.K. Those that get to do so are there because they put in the effort.

A university course in the UK costs 13 grand a year in tuition fees for foreign students and you can add the same amount again for board and lodgings. I think you'd need a bit more than effort. Also a lot of Korean students who study abroad are actually ones from rich families who failed to get into a decent university in Korea. Their parents also pay for them to go to cram schools for a year to get their IELTS scores up from 4 to 5.5.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 01:20:59 PM by eggieguffer »

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2018, 01:29:13 PM »

Again, so childish and overly simplistic.
You sound like the kind of person who would say "Toughen up" to someone who is suffering from depression.

Like so many topics here, when you speak about these things you sound like a pretend, mish mash of movie/tv tropes, made up psuedo tough guy bollocks.

Stern but fair. Common sense. Let the kids run wild and free. This is why Trump won. You can't complain you aren't facing imminent danger or poverty. Drinking cliche. Safe spaces have made us weak.... It's like the starter pack  for the Republican voting mid-westener, who has never had more than 30 seconds of self-reflection in his life.

Yeah but if you notice a lot of times in other threads when people vent, I've advised them to seek out hobbies, take up yoga, consider therapy, focus on positives, etc. In other words, take control (isn't that what we're telling Koreans to do?)

You get people on here endlessly venting about life here and then complain about Koreans doing nothing to change their stressful life. Go out and change! Move back home. Focus not on what Korea is doing for you, but on what you can do for Korea. "Rather to comfort than to be comforted, to understand than to be understood, to love than to be loved."

Looking at the problems of others is a good way of putting things in perspective. That whole "but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world" and all.

Stressed about your coteacher and a last minute change of plans? After break, go into work and ask her if you can help her with anything. Maybe do it spontaneously. Bring in some cake for your coworkers. Prepare a special lesson. One of your friends stressed and down in the dumps? Buy them dinner. Subway car filling up and you got bumped? Turn that frown upside down and offer a seat to an ajumma. Coworker trapped in the rat race/family life and they can't go overseas? Bring them back a gift from your trip. Pick up a toy for your coteacher's kid.

You have to take those positive steps! And if it goes unreciprocated, well so be it. A true gift isn't about reciprocation.

What's the bet you weigh like 115 pounds, are 5'6 and were bullied relentlessly at school. Which is fine. But for the love of God, drop the "old man. common sense, we didnt wear seat belts" character. Please.

Weigh much more than that. Partied throughout high school. Hung out with a bunch of different groups- stoners, jocks, Asians, normal suburban kids, poor kids, Arabs, Chaldeans, African-Americans, etc. It's where I learned that people are all people and just because people do things different, it doesn't make it the end of the world and everything people complain about, each group has their own variation of that human failing and the things they do are usually for a good reason. A lifetime of adapting to different groups is probably why I find things easy here.

Plus, busting my hump at my job back home just to pay rent, where I worried about getting robbed at gunpoint at the end of my shift, put things in perspective. Like seriously, deskwarming?!?! Getting PAID to sit around and do nothing is annoying? Get out of here.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2018, 01:31:21 PM »

A university course in the UK costs 13 grand a year in tuition fees for foreign students and you can add the same amount again for board and lodgings. I think you'd need a bit more than effort. Also a lot of Korean students who study abroad are actually ones from rich families who failed to get into a decent university in Korea. Their parents also pay for them to go to cram schools for a year to get their IELTS scores up from 4 to 5.5.

Oh of course those exist. There's also a lot that busted their butts. Now they're working for Google or Pfizer or whatever.

Offline SteveBruce

• Veteran
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2018, 01:33:35 PM »
No one at any point said deskwarming was stressful, for the love of the holy Christ

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2018, 01:34:01 PM »
Also, Koreans don't live for themselves. They live for everyone else. They are worried about how they look all the time and are constantly comparing themselves to others. That is stressful.

People all over the world do it, trying to keep up with the Jones's, but keeping up with the Kims is on another level. Saved up and finally bought that nice bag you like? Your coworker better not show up with a more expensive one, ultimately making your bag worthless and a source of shame. Your kid acting up in school? Well now that's not only a problem for him or her, but your entire family's reputation. Life can be hard enough as it is, but when image is the most important thing in your culture, it's hard to be satisfied. There's always someone more handsome, with more money, nicer cars, better grades etc. Of course you will be stressed if you think your entire reputation is on the line if you take a sick day. Of course you will be stressed if showing up without make up makes your friends not want to be seen with you. The happiest people I know are the ones who are satisfied with what they have, despite what others around them have.

This culture is extremely shallow and it's hard for Koreans to find a sense of worth in things that arent image related or don't have a monetary value. A lot of Koreans know this and don't even deny it at all, so the Waygook Korean Defense League need not come out of the woodwork to deny it.

But taking a "sick day" because you were out drinking/noraebanging into the early hours of a weekday with your team members/senior management is a sign of a good employee. Or just come to the office but sleep through the whole day.