March 25, 2019, 01:14:29 AM

Author Topic: Why is Korea so stressful?  (Read 18365 times)

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Why is Korea so stressful?
« Reply #360 on: January 08, 2019, 08:05:52 AM »
One need not even be handy or put holes in the wall to solve the "no hooks for my hats and coats" problem, because coat racks exist.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #361 on: January 08, 2019, 08:43:05 AM »
One need not even be handy or put holes in the wall to solve the "no hooks for my hats and coats" problem, because coat racks exist.

We just bought one from here actually. a few days ago. Around 20,000 won, we keep it in the taking off shoes area. I think Cyanea is thinking of British style houses where there's a hallway and a row of hooks. In Korean flats the shoe area tends to have a cupboard for shoes so no space for hooks. Cyanea, care to explain exactly what you mean by the mirror is a yard in front of the sink?

https://search.shopping.naver.com/detail/lite.nhn?nv_mid=14549364574&cat_id=50001319&frm=NVSHATC&query=%EC%8A%A4%ED%83%A0%EB%93%9C%EC%98%B7%EA%B1%B8%EC%9D%B4+%ED%8F%B4%ED%96%89%EA%B1%B0&NaPm=ct%3Djqn111mw%7Cci%3D362a22b81bf0b3fc35c1c918a226d53bbb4704b2%7Ctr%3Dslsl%7Csn%3D95694%7Chk%3D1428e60b238fcd7c86e71015f5c8b2ddbb9dec79

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #362 on: January 09, 2019, 09:25:02 AM »
Well, to point out why Cyanea's ceiling hook concept was so moronic- He assumes that the landlord can predict A) Where you are going to position your bed in your room (some people like it in the middle (shared/easy to clean), some against the wall (to maximize space), some facing a certain direction, etc. and assumes B) The landlord can predict what size of bed you will have (assuming a "4-hook" mosquito net setup vs. a single hook). You know that whole single vs. queen size thing makes a difference.

Then there's the fact that people might not deal with mosquito netting and now you have 4 hooks hanging from the ceiling like you're either in the Sex Cauldron or Adelai Niska's chambers. You know, that can kind of wig out the date you bring home. "Oh hey, just ignore the dangling hooks. Please relax on my plastic covered furniture or floor. May I make you a soothing and relaxing beverage while you apply lotion to your skin and listen to this Gregorian chant music?"

Cyanea- before you gripe about Korea and it's problems, you might want to make sure you have you ducks in order. You might not be as right about things as you think you are.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #363 on: January 09, 2019, 09:58:22 AM »
This perfectly illustrates what I find most stressful about my job and time in Korea.

Yesterday, we did a simple Arts and crafts activity where the students decorated "eco-pencil cases". I spent some time talking about the importance of recycling, what a difference a person can make by recycling and reusing things like bags, instead of using a new plastic bag every time. I included pictures of plastic landfills and animals affected by plastic pollution.
Today, we did a cooking activity and during cleanup, every student had thrown every plastic, card and paper item straight into the rubbish bin, which was overflowing onto the floor. Our class has three recycling bins, for plastic, paper and cans... the only person who ever uses these bins is me... inside the recycling bin is a small box I threw away during the first term of 2018!

Not a single student, including my CT, had the awareness or concern to put anything into the recycling, they prefered to stack the rubbish bin as high as they could, like a Jenga tower.

Education is dwarfed by the collectivist mindset; in Korea, despite being "educated", most would rather follow the herd off a cliff. It's all fake, window-dressed BS.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #364 on: January 09, 2019, 10:37:36 AM »
Today, we did a cooking activity and during cleanup, every student had thrown every plastic, card and paper item straight into the rubbish bin, which was overflowing onto the floor. Our class has three recycling bins, for plastic, paper and cans... the only person who ever uses these bins is me... inside the recycling bin is a small box I threw away during the first term of 2018!

Not a single student, including my CT, had the awareness or concern to put anything into the recycling, they prefered to stack the rubbish bin as high as they could, like a Jenga tower.

Education is dwarfed by the collectivist mindset; in Korea, despite being "educated", most would rather follow the herd off a cliff. It's all fake, window-dressed BS.

Did you do anything about it? Have you encouraged any kind of enforcement or reward?

Also, given the garbage disposal practices I've seen of Koreans and NETs, it's a pretty mixed bag all around. Not sure how much culture comes into play. Besides, everyone is just outsourcing their crap to the Chinese kid in the sweatshop surrounded by mercury so they can have the latest iPhone.

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #365 on: January 09, 2019, 10:41:39 AM »

Did you do anything about it? Have you encouraged any kind of enforcement or reward?

Also, given the garbage disposal practices I've seen of Koreans and NETs, it's a pretty mixed bag all around. Not sure how much culture comes into play. Besides, everyone is just outsourcing their crap to the Chinese kid in the sweatshop surrounded by mercury so they can have the latest iPhone.
yeah it's no better in the uk. actually, recycling is generally better in korea than from what i've experienced. i had to train my friend who visited me from the uk to recycle things. he said something like, "oh, i'd just throw this into the normal bin usually...actually, thinking about it, why don't we recycle this back home?"

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #366 on: January 09, 2019, 10:49:02 AM »
yeah you can never hang stuff because you can't make holes in the wall,

A proper dwelling includes wall hooks to put your hat on, hang coats, clothes hangers, what have you.

There should also be a couple of hooks on the ceiling to hang a mosquito net over your bed.
the word 'dwelling' reminds me of hobbits

also, i have never seen hooks in the ceiling for a mosquito net, nor wall hooks to hang clothes (in korea)

i just wanted to make holes to hang some pictures and shelves

Online VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #367 on: January 09, 2019, 11:28:00 AM »
I love the word 'dwell'.

It is about where you reside NOW without any illusion of permanence.

'Residence' is neutral, 'home' is overly presumptive.

My dwelling is pretty good. It's hard to get stressed too much about your dwelling. If you see it as such, the solution is simply to dwell elsewhere.

Offline Andyman

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #368 on: January 09, 2019, 12:00:23 PM »
yeah you can never hang stuff because you can't make holes in the wall,

A proper dwelling includes wall hooks to put your hat on, hang coats, clothes hangers, what have you.

There should also be a couple of hooks on the ceiling to hang a mosquito net over your bed.
the word 'dwelling' reminds me of hobbits

also, i have never seen hooks in the ceiling for a mosquito net, nor wall hooks to hang clothes (in korea)

i just wanted to make holes to hang some pictures and shelves

There are lots of non-damaging, sticky-backed hooks available. The Command strips made by 3M are the best, but there are lots of imitator products, too. Daiso, S-Dot, Butter, art supply shops, hardware stores and supermarkets all have some version available. Daiso also has lots of hooks that you can fix over the top of your door. I have them for the front door (coats), boiler cupboard (guests' coats), bathroom (towels) and bedroom (miscellaneous).

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #369 on: January 09, 2019, 02:53:42 PM »
i know, but those glue hooks seem to fall off a lot. maybe the humidity in the air in summer? i dunno. i had to put 6 hooks in a line to hang one (medium-heavy) picture recently  :laugh:

it's not really a big deal though. basically i just wanted to put up some cat shelves on the walls so my cat can run around more. hah

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #370 on: January 09, 2019, 08:56:13 PM »
These are the kind of people you can be unlucky to get as tenants. (watch from 13.18) It was interesting to see that when they finally got evicted after three months of letters and phone calls they'd ignored, their first reaction was 'we have nowhere to go, where are we going to be housed?' No sense of agency at all. The landlords were a retired couple relying on the money for their pension.