January 22, 2019, 03:25:14 PM

Author Topic: Why is Korea so stressful?  (Read 15957 times)

Online JNM

• The Legend
Re: Why is Korea so stressful?
« Reply #340 on: January 07, 2019, 09:09:24 AM »
I have no use for a man who is stumped by the task of installing a bathroom mirror complain about mechanical matters.

Sexist - I'm sure you'd be fine about a helpless female getting her pretty little head in a tizz about it.

Also, are you allowed to just put up mirrors/wall hooks willy-nilly in your average comes-with-the-job studio flat?

You mean, the average comes-with-the-job studio flat that has black mold and mysterious stains?

I genuinely don't think the average landlord would even notice or care about the (competent) installation of a bathroom mirror. As far as any hooks, wallpaper is supposed to get replaced. As long as you're not putting a hammer through the dywall or anything, you should be fine. If someone is super nervous, just use tacks or rubber suction to hang stuff.

You're right though, that was sexist. I assumed that only a man could be this moronic as I know our resident female posters don't seem to be this clueless. They'll actually you know, look up "How to?" stuff on the internet, ask friends, and have more actual experience using their hands and doing mechanical stuff than many men these days.
i think landlords would make any excuse to take money out of your deposit, at least in my experience (again, not just a korean thing). charge you for making holes in the wall for the mirror, but leave the mirror there and call it an added feature for the new tenant
Iíve found Korean landlords to be much more easygoing than Canadian landlords (myself included).

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #341 on: January 07, 2019, 09:24:01 AM »
yeah, i do agree. landlords everywhere are twats, but the ones i have had in england have been far worse than the ones i've had in korea

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #342 on: January 07, 2019, 09:36:35 AM »
i think landlords would make any excuse to take money out of your deposit, at least in my experience (again, not just a korean thing). charge you for making holes in the wall for the mirror, but leave the mirror there and call it an added feature for the new tenant
If it's the apartment you get for free from the school, so you don't have a deposit.

But assuming it wasn't, I don't know about Korean law, but it would usually be considered "normal wear and tear", and if it wasn't, you eat the $500 bucks they take (anything more than that and you fight them in small claims court). Or you can ask them beforehand and once you get their consent, you can do it.

But yeah, landlords can be jerks, so if he was really nervous about it, use rubber suction stuff. Thumbtacks too because the chances of him spotting the hole are slim, especially if it's just getting wallpapered over anyways because of the ol' black mold.

Maybe it's on his to do list, maybe his landlord specifically told him not to put anything on the walls when he moved in. Maybe he'd rather not put up a mirror and complain about it, than put up a mirror and not complain about it. 
That's why I said rubber suction cups. And he can get a coat hanger instead of wall hangers.

I have no use for someone who complains that there isn't a mirror pre-installed at the correct height for them to look in the mirror and shave. That's a moronic complaint. Do you see how it's a moronic complaint?

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #343 on: January 07, 2019, 09:43:24 AM »
If it's the apartment you get for free from the school, so you don't have a deposit.

But assuming it wasn't, I don't know about Korean law, but it would usually be considered "normal wear and tear", and if it wasn't, you eat the $500 bucks they take (anything more than that and you fight them in small claims court). Or you can ask them beforehand and once you get their consent, you can do it.

But yeah, landlords can be jerks, so if he was really nervous about it, use rubber suction stuff. Thumbtacks too because the chances of him spotting the hole are slim, especially if it's just getting wallpapered over anyways because of the ol' black mold.

Maybe it's on his to do list, maybe his landlord specifically told him not to put anything on the walls when he moved in. Maybe he'd rather not put up a mirror and complain about it, than put up a mirror and not complain about it. 
That's why I said rubber suction cups. And he can get a coat hanger instead of wall hangers.

I have no use for someone who complains that there isn't a mirror pre-installed at the correct height for them to look in the mirror and shave. That's a moronic complaint. Do you see how it's a moronic complaint?

As a public school teacher myself, you have to give a 600,000won security deposit on the school provided housing.
I think this covers any damages to the apartment, and any outstanding bills for after you leave.
You get whatever is left after that has been taken care of

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #344 on: January 07, 2019, 09:47:00 AM »
As a public school teacher myself, you have to give a 600,000won security deposit on the school provided housing.
I think this covers any damages to the apartment, and any outstanding bills for after you leave.
You get whatever is left after that has been taken care of
Given what I've seen of pretty much every teacher apartment I've been in, public or hagwon, no one is getting money taken out for a thumbtack hole or some kind of wall hook.

I'm sure SOMEONE has dealt with crap over this one, but I think the odds are rather long against it being an issue. As in, I'd be more worried about getting charged for something else than those.

Basically, if your Korean landlord is going to come after you for those, he was going to find something anyways just he could get some money.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #345 on: January 07, 2019, 09:55:13 AM »
yeah, i do agree. landlords everywhere are twats, but the ones i have had in england have been far worse than the ones i've had in korea

Hate to do a 'not all' but you did say landlords everywhere are twats. My tenant in the UK has consistently paid the rent late, while I have done all the repairs, new boiler, gas checks, smoke alarms installation etc. on the nail. So not all.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #346 on: January 07, 2019, 09:59:35 AM »

He seemed to be saying the mirror in the bathroom wasn't aligned with the sink, which to me seems a fairly legit complaint as it obviously should be. The other complaint was there wasn't another mirror in the shower area. This seems a bit less legit as wouldn't it just get steamed up anyway?

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #347 on: January 07, 2019, 10:08:32 AM »

Hate to do a 'not all' but you did say landlords everywhere are twats. My tenant in the UK has consistently paid the rent late, while I have done all the repairs, new boiler, gas checks, smoke alarms installation etc. on the nail. So not all.

Yes, not all. In the UK, once, my landlord got a new boiler fitted (old one broke) and got the leak under the bath repaired promptly. However, my wife when she lived in the UK had a horrid landlord who I ended up setting the council on because of all the BS that they tried to get away with.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #348 on: January 07, 2019, 10:35:57 AM »
He seemed to be saying the mirror in the bathroom wasn't aligned with the sink, which to me seems a fairly legit complaint as it obviously should be. The other complaint was there wasn't another mirror in the shower area. This seems a bit less legit as wouldn't it just get steamed up anyway?
Yeah, I didn't mention the sink one. Frankly I couldn't really tell what he meant by 1 meter in front. Did he mean it was on the wall opposite the sink? Or was it 1 meter behind? 1 meter towards the door?

As far as his bathroom mirror it's moronic for two reasons 1)The assumption that the tenant would be male. 2)The assumption that the tenant would be his height. Hence, why most people install shower mirrors themselves. This obvious fail of logic has consigned him to "I don't think so Tim" status.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #349 on: January 07, 2019, 11:24:04 AM »

true. i meant "there are twattish landlords everywhere" and not "all landlords are twats". but, yeah, you are probably right - from people i know who are landlords, they all seem to find it more stressful than they ever imagined.

actually, my cousin owns a place in aus. it was completely wrecked - i mean, plug sockets torn out, kitchen smashed up, windows broken. seemed like a nightmare

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #350 on: January 07, 2019, 11:40:23 AM »
Tenants can smash a place and landlords are without recourse?

I guess deduct it from the deposit money, but if damages exceed that they are S.O.L.?

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #351 on: January 07, 2019, 11:40:49 AM »

true. i meant "there are twattish landlords everywhere" and not "all landlords are twats". but, yeah, you are probably right - from people i know who are landlords, they all seem to find it more stressful than they ever imagined.

actually, my cousin owns a place in aus. it was completely wrecked - i mean, plug sockets torn out, kitchen smashed up, windows broken. seemed like a nightmare

I can relate.  I had to put C$15000 in repairs when my tenants in Canada moved out to get the place in sellable condition.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #352 on: January 07, 2019, 11:41:37 AM »

I guess deduct it from the deposit money, but if damages exceed that they are S.O.L.?

Yeah.  These bums usually don't have any assets to make suing them worthwhile.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #353 on: January 07, 2019, 11:53:06 AM »
Maybe a good idea to make the deposit higher and screen potential tenants?

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #354 on: January 07, 2019, 11:59:47 AM »

In my cousin's case, the tenants had no money or assets. Not sure about insurance, but I believe they were still way out of pocket by the time it was all fixed

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #355 on: January 07, 2019, 12:01:18 PM »
Maybe a good idea to make the deposit higher and screen potential tenants?

By law, deposit cannot exceed monthly rent.
Screening... the husband was ok, but when he left her, she was a wreck. New boyfriend was even worse.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #356 on: January 07, 2019, 05:59:40 PM »
Like with anything there are awful people on both sides.

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #357 on: January 07, 2019, 11:54:18 PM »
yeah you can never hang stuff because you can't make holes in the wall,

A proper dwelling includes wall hooks to put your hat on, hang coats, clothes hangers, what have you.

There should also be a couple of hooks on the ceiling to hang a mosquito net over your bed.

Catch my drift?

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #358 on: January 08, 2019, 12:47:33 AM »

A proper dwelling includes wall hooks to put your hat on, hang coats, clothes hangers, what have you.

There should also be a couple of hooks on the ceiling to hang a mosquito net over your bed.
That's really something that's DIY.

Do you see the problem with your mosquito net theory? Hint: It's related to your awful assumption about the bathroom mirror.

Offline tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #359 on: January 08, 2019, 07:23:45 AM »

That's really something that's DIY.

Do you see the problem with your mosquito net theory? Hint: It's related to your awful assumption about the bathroom mirror.

Wait... do people use mosquito nets outside of countries with rampant mosquito borne diseases? I've never seen mosquito net hooks on any ceiling of any building I've lived in. Also, why do you need wall hooks to hang things? I mean... why specifically on the walls? I feel like I jumped into this with not enough context and I'm very confused.