January 22, 2019, 02:24:24 PM

Author Topic: Why is Korea so stressful?  (Read 15949 times)

Offline CypherSoul

• Adventurer
Re: Why is Korea so stressful?
« Reply #320 on: January 04, 2019, 02:18:30 PM »
Not being allowed entry into clubs because you're a foreigner...does that count as stressful?  :laugh:

Not going to lie, its the first time I have experienced something like this!  :rolleyes:
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #321 on: January 04, 2019, 11:05:10 PM »
The stress in my life here comes from noise.  That's it.

I have a really simple goal in life.  To be able to go home at the end of the day, shut my door (house, apartment, whatever) and not hear noise from other people.  It's that simple.  I think I'd be the happiest man in Korea if I could guarantee that  :laugh:

Sadly, I don't think that's possible here.  I've never experienced so much "avoidable"* noise as I have since living in Korea.  It could be building construction but I honestly think there's an aspect of people just not being considerate at all towards others.   

*"Avoidable" noise is noise that shouldn't happen.  Stomp-walking, slamming doors, slamming cupboard doors, shout-talking, screaming inside, blaringly loud TVs/music etc...

Simple, get a decent apartment. If it means that much to you. Where I live is like a morgue.

Lol it's that simple isn't it? Just get a decent apartment.  Why didn't I think of that.

Its not that simple though.

I agree that soundproofing is improving, but no matter how modern your apartment, you still get the noise of Koreans talking amplified through the door from the hallway at 3am.
Catch my drift?

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #322 on: January 05, 2019, 07:02:42 AM »
The stress in my life here comes from noise.  That's it.

I have a really simple goal in life.  To be able to go home at the end of the day, shut my door (house, apartment, whatever) and not hear noise from other people.  It's that simple.  I think I'd be the happiest man in Korea if I could guarantee that  :laugh:

Sadly, I don't think that's possible here.  I've never experienced so much "avoidable"* noise as I have since living in Korea.  It could be building construction but I honestly think there's an aspect of people just not being considerate at all towards others.   

*"Avoidable" noise is noise that shouldn't happen.  Stomp-walking, slamming doors, slamming cupboard doors, shout-talking, screaming inside, blaringly loud TVs/music etc...

Simple, get a decent apartment. If it means that much to you. Where I live is like a morgue.

Lol it's that simple isn't it? Just get a decent apartment.  Why didn't I think of that.

Its not that simple though.

I agree that soundproofing is improving, but no matter how modern your apartment, you still get the noise of Koreans talking amplified through the door from the hallway at 3am.

You mean from the time they leave the lift to when they enter their apartment? In my flat the noise would have to travel through the outer door, the doors that separate the shoe taking off area, then my bedroom door. I guess if they were shouting at the tops of their voices for the 10 seconds it'd take them to get from the lift to their apartment door and enter their code, it might be a problem. If I so much as open my mouth in that area after ten o'clock, my wife tells me to shut up, but I guess others don't have the same restraint.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 08:00:08 AM by eggieguffer »

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #323 on: January 05, 2019, 10:03:57 AM »
actually, even my new vila is decently soundproofed. occasionally the (deafening) fire alarm goes off in the hallway outside and i literally cannot hear it. same with neighbours. i like to keep my window open slightly, so the only noise you can't block is the noisy fukers outside walking home drunk at 3am

you don't need to live in a really expensive fancy place, just a new and well-built place

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #324 on: January 05, 2019, 10:54:19 AM »
actually, even my new vila is decently soundproofed. occasionally the (deafening) fire alarm goes off in the hallway outside and i literally cannot hear it. same with neighbours. i like to keep my window open slightly, so the only noise you can't block is the noisy fukers outside walking home drunk at 3am

you don't need to live in a really expensive fancy place, just a new and well-built place

If you live in a studio with a corridor type set up, you're obviously going to get noise from revellers. Like living in a hotel.

Online some waygug-in

• Super Waygook
« Reply #325 on: January 06, 2019, 02:28:54 AM »
This brings back some memories😆.
The last EPIK job I had placed me in a small
3 story villa apt ( or whatever they are called).
The walls were so thin you could hear every word
Coming from the next apartment.
One  night, in the midweek the next door neighbor
Was having an all nighter and it sounded like they were
Right in my room.  Try as I did I couldn't block out
The noise.  I finally lost it and I started banging on the
Wall and made as much noise as I could.  They just
Ignored me and kept on.😏
I am glad that I don't have to deal with that anymore.

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #326 on: January 06, 2019, 08:12:42 AM »

The problem with that is how do you know if something is well built?  Do you mean, have a look around and kick the walls?  I get the feeling that you never really know if something is well built or not until you're spending your first night there.  If you can hear your neighbours then you're screwed.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #327 on: January 06, 2019, 08:20:13 AM »

The problem with that is how do you know if something is well built?  Do you mean, have a look around and kick the walls?  I get the feeling that you never really know if something is well built or not until you're spending your first night there.  If you can hear your neighbours then you're screwed.

There's not much you can do to check noise from above I guess, except ask someone in the block. For noise coming from elsewhere it'll depend on the design, like I said before.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #328 on: January 06, 2019, 10:17:18 AM »

yeah. not much you can do really, i guess. but the newer places i've lived in are a million times better than slightly older places, regarding sound insulation. you might also just be out of luck if your neighbour ends up being insanely noisy or they have noisy dogs, etc. although i guess this isn't just a korean problem

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #329 on: January 06, 2019, 10:51:30 PM »
the newer places i've lived in are a million times better than slightly older places, regarding sound insulation.

but still poorly designed overall.

Beats me how you're supposed to live in a place without wall hooks to hang up stuff.

My place has the bathroom mirror situated a metre in front of the sink. I have to crane myself into position just to look in the mirror.

And there's no mirror in the shower! meaning i can't save time shaving while i get ready.

All they care about is if an apartment looks swish, they don't care about functionality.
Catch my drift?

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #330 on: January 07, 2019, 06:40:55 AM »
yeah, i know what you mean. the new places i've lived in have always been badly finished, too. it's like the longer you live there, the more small things you find that have been finished incorrectly or bodged

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #331 on: January 07, 2019, 06:53:20 AM »
Beats me how you're supposed to live in a place without wall hooks to hang up stuff.

And there's no mirror in the shower! meaning i can't save time shaving while i get ready.
Person stumped by task of installing wall hooks or mirror in shower critiques contruction quality.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #332 on: January 07, 2019, 07:28:38 AM »

Person stumped by task of installing wall hooks or mirror in shower critiques contruction quality.

Is this another appeal to authority argument? You have to have a degree in politics to criticize the government, a catering license to complain about food in a restaurant, that kind of thing?

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #333 on: January 07, 2019, 07:59:54 AM »

Is this another appeal to authority argument? You have to have a degree in politics to criticize the government, a catering license to complain about food in a restaurant, that kind of thing?
I have no use for a man who is stumped by the task of installing a bathroom mirror complain about mechanical matters.

I know people who have zero mechanical aptitude who nontheless remembered the fricking Mighty Putty commercial with Billy Mays and put 2 and 2 together.

Dude is wondering why his bathroom doesn't come with a bathroom mirror preinstalled at the perfect height for him to shave in the shower. Think about that.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #334 on: January 07, 2019, 08:06:34 AM »
I have no use for a man who is stumped by the task of installing a bathroom mirror complain about mechanical matters.

Sexist - I'm sure you'd be fine about a helpless female getting her pretty little head in a tizz about it.

Also, are you allowed to just put up mirrors/wall hooks willy-nilly in your average comes-with-the-job studio flat?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 08:15:38 AM by eggieguffer »

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #335 on: January 07, 2019, 08:19:01 AM »

Sexist - I'm sure you'd be fine about a helpless female getting her pretty little head in a tizz about it.

Also, are you allowed to just put up mirrors willy-nilly in your average comes with the job studio flat?

Yeah I don't think it's as easy as "just put up a mirror" in the bathroom of your provided housing.  That sounds like quite a big job to me. 

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #336 on: January 07, 2019, 08:50:15 AM »
yeah you can never hang stuff because you can't make holes in the wall, but there's never been any shelving in the places i've lived in. not just a korean problem, more like any renter's problem, but still annoying

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #337 on: January 07, 2019, 08:57:10 AM »

Also, are you allowed to just put up mirrors/wall hooks willy-nilly in your average comes-with-the-job studio flat?

You mean, the average comes-with-the-job studio flat that has black mold and mysterious stains?

I genuinely don't think the average landlord would even notice or care about the (competent) installation of a bathroom mirror. As far as any hooks, wallpaper is supposed to get replaced. As long as you're not putting a hammer through the dywall or anything, you should be fine. If someone is super nervous, just use tacks or rubber suction to hang stuff.

You're right though, that was sexist. I assumed that only a man could be this moronic as I know our resident female posters don't seem to be this clueless. They'll actually you know, look up "How to?" stuff on the internet, ask friends, and have more actual experience using their hands and doing mechanical stuff than many men these days.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #338 on: January 07, 2019, 09:01:35 AM »

You mean, the average comes-with-the-job studio flat that has black mold and mysterious stains?

I genuinely don't think the average landlord would even notice or care about the (competent) installation of a bathroom mirror. As far as any hooks, wallpaper is supposed to get replaced. As long as you're not putting a hammer through the dywall or anything, you should be fine. If someone is super nervous, just use tacks or rubber suction to hang stuff.

You're right though, that was sexist. I assumed that only a man could be this moronic as I know our resident female posters don't seem to be this clueless. They'll actually you know, look up "How to?" stuff on the internet, ask friends, and have more actual experience using their hands and doing mechanical stuff than many men these days.
i think landlords would make any excuse to take money out of your deposit, at least in my experience (again, not just a korean thing). charge you for making holes in the wall for the mirror, but leave the mirror there and call it an added feature for the new tenant

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #339 on: January 07, 2019, 09:09:09 AM »

Once again you're jumping in before you know the full story. Someone complains about something = he doesn't have the knowledge/skill/common sense to put it right. Maybe it's on his to do list, maybe his landlord specifically told him not to put anything on the walls when he moved in. Maybe he'd rather not put up a mirror and complain about it, than put up a mirror and not complain about it.

You're the kind of guy who if someone was complaining that the bus was late would say something like 'why don't you learn to drive then? If it was a Korean bus, that is.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 09:16:17 AM by eggieguffer »