January 22, 2019, 01:48:01 PM

Author Topic: Why is Korea so stressful?  (Read 15941 times)

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
Re: Why is Korea so stressful?
« Reply #300 on: January 04, 2019, 10:59:24 AM »
DeM do you actually teach? Where do you get the time during the day to write such long replies?

Most of us will drop in quickly in a free moment but for sure I don't have the time (or the inclination) to write such long replies.
My work has stretches of nothing and the times where I'm slammed. Also, it doesn't take that long to write that much. Like, 4-5 minutes? Sometimes a bit more or less depending on how focused I am.

You do realize that some people can write like, a page of thoughts, rather quickly, right?

How long did it take you to write your post? I assume like, 20 seconds or less, right?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 11:01:15 AM by Mr.DeMartino »

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #301 on: January 04, 2019, 10:59:40 AM »

That's why I mentioned the whole "1980s college student ajosshi" thing. Maybe instead of stereotyping someone, you should sit down and listen to them tell you why they make the decisions they make. It's not the boss' job to explain himself TO YOU, but you know, maybe if you're out on the town, you can pick his brain for 15 minutes on his life experiences. You might be surprised- that ajosshi manager once threw back tear gas canisters at riot police because he wanted democracy. Certainly more than any of us nothing-but-talkers have done in the name of human rights and democracy.

And look at the ajeossi now. Parking his Genesis car on the crosswalk outside a Public Elementary School where kids are waiting to cross the road. But hey, he got tear gassed in 80s and it taught him nothing.

Your selective rationalizing has its limits.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #302 on: January 04, 2019, 10:59:54 AM »
DeM do you actually teach? Where do you get the time during the day to write such long replies?

Most of us will drop in quickly in a free moment but for sure I don't have the time (or the inclination) to write such long replies.

To be fair, around this time, schools are starting to go on winter break.
Also, I work in a super rural school in the middle of nowhere, and while I teach, my teaching hours are really low. :p Demartino could be in a situation like that too

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #303 on: January 04, 2019, 11:05:21 AM »
And look at the ajeossi now. Parking his Genesis car on the crosswalk outside a Public Elementary School where kids are waiting to cross the road. But hey, he got tear gassed in 80s and it taught him nothing.

Your selective rationalizing has its limits.
It's not rationalizing, its simply saying there might be more to this guy than you think. I think people tend to be more than just one single bad thing they've done.

I certainly don't bring his culture or biology into it. I think there's as much to judge about the character of someone who does that sort of thing as there is with his parking job.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #304 on: January 04, 2019, 11:06:55 AM »

Yeah, of all the gripes this is one of our stupidest. "How dare they put corn or sweet potato on and not authentic ingredients like Canadian Bacon or BBQ chicken. Also stop calling Rom-a and Ital-i-a. It's Rome and Italy."

On the topic of this thread, I don't think anyone would actually say they're stressed because Koreans put corn on pizza. It's just a silly difference we like to talk about, because sometimes cultural differences are amusing. When I tell my family that Koreans put corn on pizza, it's not in a "Those dang heathens, living in the dark ages, how dare they!" sort of way, it's in a "haha, differences are sometimes funny" sort of way.

I don't look down on Korea for putting corn on pizza, and I doubt most other foreigners here do, either. In fact, there's one common ingredient on Korean pizza that I wish the US would adopt: Potato. Not sweet potato, though. Just plain ol' potato. It's so good on pizza, and it's already such a ubiquitous ingredient in US cuisine that it's almost unbelievable that it isn't already a common topping there.

Yes, I realize there are people who are condescending and overly negative about it. Please try not to lump the other 99% of the people who laugh about corn on pizza in with them, though.
To be fair, the first time I had corn on a pizza in London, England (circa 1988).

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #305 on: January 04, 2019, 11:08:44 AM »
It's crap like this. What is there something biological at work here?

I certainly don't bring his culture or biology into it. I think there's as much to judge about the character of someone who does that sort of thing as there is with his parking job.

You can probably drop the biology/genetics bit of these counter-arguments. I don't think anyone here actually thinks the problems they see in Koreans are caused by anything genetic, rather than something socio-cultural. It's of course perfectly acceptable to disagree with claims that the problems are caused by socio-cultural issues that may or may not be unique to Korea, but there's no need to muddle the discussion with red herrings or strawmen.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 11:14:41 AM by Mister Tim »

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #306 on: January 04, 2019, 11:11:01 AM »
To be fair, the first time I had corn on a pizza in London, England (circa 1988).

Yes, and I had corn on pizza in the US long before I had it in Korea. I think when people talk about it in Korea, they talk about it because it's the norm here. You often get it even when you didn't ask for it or the pizza description didn't list it.  :laugh:

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #307 on: January 04, 2019, 11:15:06 AM »
It's not rationalizing, its simply saying there might be more to this guy than you think. I think people tend to be more than just one single bad thing they've done.

Even if this man were the Savior of the Universe, it wouldn't change the fact that he parked his car in an inappropriate spot. You can't just ignore/let things go because "we don't know that person." How many criminals would get off the hook if we thought like this? People can be more than the bad thing they've done, yes, but that doesn't excuse certain actions.

Ya know, any other thread we'd be told to get back on track by the mods. Not this one, and especially not when DM is going ham.
The World Ends With You

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #308 on: January 04, 2019, 11:34:01 AM »
Even if this man were the Savior of the Universe, it wouldn't change the fact that he parked his car in an inappropriate spot. You can't just ignore/let things go because "we don't know that person." How many criminals would get off the hook if we thought like this? People can be more than the bad thing they've done, yes, but that doesn't excuse certain actions.
Yes, but if he were the Savior of the Universe, or I don't know, YOU who did something boneheaded, I don't think culture should be brought up nor the person corrected/described as scum.

People might look at him, and I'm sure you'd want to be treated the same way, as an individual. Also, before someone dismisses you as "just another waygook" and declare you scum, you might want them to know who you are in full.

Isn't that how you would like to be treated?

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #309 on: January 04, 2019, 11:38:16 AM »
Yes, but if he were the Savior of the Universe, or I don't know, YOU who did something boneheaded, I don't think culture should be brought up nor the person corrected/described as scum.

People might look at him, and I'm sure you'd want to be treated the same way, as an individual. Also, before someone dismisses you as "just another waygook" and declare you scum, you might want them to know who you are in full.

If I did something negative and typically British, like football hooliganism you always bring up as an example, I'd think it'd be fair enough if someone slagged me off as another effing  British football hooligan

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #310 on: January 04, 2019, 11:55:56 AM »
If I did something negative and typically British, like football hooliganism you always bring up as an example, I'd think it'd be fair enough if someone slagged me off as another effing  British football hooligan
Well, I don't know specifically about Brits, but one complain I remember early on from both my European and Asian friends back in H.S. was they hated how Americans always slammed car doors. Let's call this a rough equivalent to soup slurping or something, because I think there's a bit of a gap between glassing some random person for wearing a different kit and parking on the sidewalk. We've had plenty of cultural "venting" about Koreans with the soup slurping and how it reflects on them.

If some Korean came over and was like "What's with all the car door slamming? OMG, Americans are so noisy. What barbarians. All they do is bang around and blast stuff. And no one does anything about it. And if you tell someone, they might flip out and road rage on you. Just another example of their lack of manners. Maybe they aren't taught how to not slam things in school. Maybe they lack the muscular control to close a car door without slamming it."

What do you call a person who goes to another country and starts ranting like that? Dude sounds like an asshole. I don't care if US Customs and Immi had him searched at the airport. I don't care if his boss is crap. That doesn't justify his bigoted rant and his venting isn't going to improve his situation. He's just going to be another angry, bitter immigrant. Some people aren't meant to live in a culture different than the one they grew up in.

I mean I think we can see the difference between that and someone who is just like "I don't really care for the car door slamming, but whatever. Part of living overseas!"

Speaking as an American, I'd be like "Uhm dude, I used to live in Korea, and I'm not sure about car doors, but I DID hear A LOT of apartment doors get slammed. Also, you do realize that in a lot of situations, Americans can be much quieter than Koreans, right? Also, that whole "muscular control" thing? That sounds kind of bigoted. Really, if a slammed car door is causing you to get this bent out of shape, and this is the worst you're dealing with in living in another country, you're doing pretty alright. Also, not all Americans slam car doors. Why judge all of us like that? That PERSON slammed your door. An individual. Not my country."

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #311 on: January 04, 2019, 12:02:26 PM »

Of course I want to be judged for being me and not for being a waygook. But if I park my car in the crosswalk, Korean or not, I still parked my car there.

Quite frankly, people literally park their cars everywhere they shouldn't be here. Someone near my apartment has had their car sitting on the edge of the crosswalk this entire week. These things legitimately happen, and people point them out, but you still act like people shouldn't get upset by it. The point brought up before this was that it was near an Elementary school. I'd think that's a good cause for concern considering that kids get reckless sometimes. Couple that with a vehicle blocking their vision and it's very much a recipe for disaster.

So what happens after an accident occurs? "Oh, there's more to this Ajeossi than you might think." Hell no, someone's getting in trouble. Am I not allowed to declare him "scum" then? Am I supposed to just ignore that he caused harm because I don't know much about him?? I do know one thing: his actions hurt people around him. That would be enough for me, and most people I'm sure.

Let's not forget the multiple times that the ambulance and fire rescue can't do their jobs either because of cars blocking their way, preventing the rescue of so many people. I'm not gonna give the people parked their a pass because "I don't know them."

Ridiculous
The World Ends With You

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #312 on: January 04, 2019, 12:11:30 PM »
So what happens after an accident occurs? "Oh, there's more to this Ajeossi than you might think." Hell no, someone's getting in trouble. Am I not allowed to declare him "scum" then? Am I supposed to just ignore that he caused harm because I don't know much about him?? I do know one thing: his actions hurt people around him. That would be enough for me, and most people I'm sure.

Let's not forget the multiple times that the ambulance and fire rescue can't do their jobs either because of cars blocking their way, preventing the rescue of so many people. I'm not gonna give the people parked their a pass because "I don't know them."

Ridiculous
Well, perhaps there's something you do that's "dangerous". Maybe you're a "cheap foreigner" who doesn't turn on the water heater, a pipe bursts, and water leaks, and someone slips and falls and breaks their bone.

Now let's say it was you, and you sincerely just forgot one day. And lets say no one did get hurt and nothing went wrong. Or maybe you were being cheap and trying to get away without turning on the heater. Whatever. Would it really be right to hold you up as an example of everything wrong with your culture and foreigners? To declare you as some sort of uncivilized brute (despite everything else about you? Maybe you did a stint for Habitat for Humanity or something). No. There's a bigger picture there. Yes, say "Dude, you probably shouldn't do that." Not "You know what stresses me about foreigners? How they're always trying to nickel and dime things and how they can't be bothered to follow directions when it comes to the heater. What is it with Anglo-derived culture? Why are they always like this? The co-teacher, their boss, their landlord, AND their neighbor all told them to do that and they ignored them. He seemed dismissive. Another racist foreigner. That's how foreigners are. It's their culture."

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #313 on: January 04, 2019, 12:21:29 PM »
you might not get to know your vacation as soon as you would like, but at least you aren't dying of thirst, caked in leprosy, lying in a pile of your own filth, like someone probably is in the world right now
-dimatio(tm)
The issue isn't that there isn't a problem. The issue is when you complain in a tone equivalent to that. It sucks. But saying "Dude, there's A LOT worse" doesn't mean it doesn't suck, it just means "Dude, there's a lot worse. Calm down a bit. Like, that doesn't justify borderline bigoted sentiments." Or at least if you're going to gripe and be "cultural" about it, try and keep it somewhat lighthearted, maybe put in some sort of self-effacing line at the end.
Yeah of course there's worse, but if someone posts "I hate when I'm bumped in the subway" in a thread labeled "what makes you stressed living in Korea?" and you respond "it could be much worse because of XYZ", that's not the point of the thread or the post. Everyone knows it could be worse, but people are posting specifically about what they find stressful specifically living in Korea for their specific stresses

Also I hope you don't mean that I say bigoted things, because I never would. but I do agree that some members here do go a bit overboard and I do sometimes say "jesus christ" reading some posts

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #314 on: January 04, 2019, 12:30:56 PM »

Ridiculous
Well, perhaps there's something you do that's "dangerous". Maybe you're a "cheap foreigner" who doesn't turn on the water heater, a pipe bursts, and water leaks, and someone slips and falls and breaks their bone.

Now let's say it was you, and you sincerely just forgot one day. And lets say no one did get hurt and nothing went wrong. Or maybe you were being cheap and trying to get away without turning on the heater. Whatever. Would it really be right to hold you up as an example of everything wrong with your culture and foreigners? To declare you as some sort of uncivilized brute (despite everything else about you? Maybe you did a stint for Habitat for Humanity or something). No. There's a bigger picture there. Yes, say "Dude, you probably shouldn't do that." Not "You know what stresses me about foreigners? How they're always trying to nickel and dime things and how they can't be bothered to follow directions when it comes to the heater. What is it with Anglo-derived culture? Why are they always like this? The co-teacher, their boss, their landlord, AND their neighbor all told them to do that and they ignored them. He seemed dismissive. Another racist foreigner. That's how foreigners are. It's their culture."

The World Ends With You

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #315 on: January 04, 2019, 12:49:58 PM »
Also I hope you don't mean that I say bigoted things, because I never would. but I do agree that some members here do go a bit overboard and I do sometimes say "jesus christ" reading some posts
Oh no I don't think you do.

Like I said, it may nto seem like it, but most vent posts I ignore. If you look at the ones I respond to there's usually something more to them than simple venting or they're thinking something is ONLY in Korea when it isn't.

Of course the ones we all seem to have fun with is when some utter noob comes on here and vents in a completely clueless manner and then everyone just savages them.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #316 on: January 04, 2019, 12:56:41 PM »
You're overthinking it way too much.  No one expects anything to happen as a result of posting a message on a forum.  They got annoyed and want to vent.  It's cathartic; nothing more than that.

Cathartics Vs Protestors; A Tale as Old as Time
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline carolina2korea

• Waygookin
« Reply #317 on: January 04, 2019, 01:12:33 PM »
Progress!

Here's more good news:

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/31/asia/south-korea-plastic-bag-ban-intl/index.html

Doesn't apply to all stores, so to help the environment, put an old plastic bag or two in your pocket when going to a store.

They need to ban those stupid disposable umbrella condoms all the big stores put out when it rains. Talk about wasteful.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #318 on: January 04, 2019, 01:25:13 PM »

Ridiculous

That must be why on various Facebook groups, I see foreigners asking for help all the time on how to work their ondols, how to treat frozen pipes, broken boilers and why don't I have any goddamn heating or hot water.

Next strawman, please!

Offline hayleebb87

• Adventurer
« Reply #319 on: January 04, 2019, 01:41:21 PM »

Ridiculous

That must be why on various Facebook groups, I see foreigners asking for help all the time on how to work their ondols, how to treat frozen pipes, broken boilers and why don't I have any goddamn heating or hot water.

Next strawman, please!

I just moved into my new apartment this month and haven't had hot water in the shower since the day I moved in. It's not because my landlord didn't care enough to fix it and I have no idea what to do to fix it myself yet. It's totally because I don't want to pay for it when the temperature outside is -10 degrees. :rolleyes:

Also, I just want to post this on some thread because wow.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2019/01/177_261461.html

"Outrage after cabbie rips off foreign passenger for $560"