March 25, 2019, 01:13:47 AM

Author Topic: Why is Korea so stressful?  (Read 18364 times)

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
Re: Why is Korea so stressful?
« Reply #280 on: January 03, 2019, 01:31:45 PM »
Speaking of stressful... They now want me to teach on the last week of class for the sake of getting photos, after we've just finished 3 consecutive weeks of watching movies... What could possibly go wrong??? :huh:
The World Ends With You

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #281 on: January 03, 2019, 03:05:12 PM »
Speaking of stressful... They now want me to teach on the last week of class for the sake of getting photos, after we've just finished 3 consecutive weeks of watching movies... What could possibly go wrong??? :huh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Classic planning.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline theman3285

• Super Waygook
« Reply #282 on: January 03, 2019, 11:11:04 PM »
I put on my right indicator, light turns green and there's a gap. Just as I start moving into the right lane, the guy in the right lane accelerates hard to block me. I let the prick past and as I'm moving into the lane behind him, the next guy also blocks me off.
I mentioned this exact phenomenon in a thread a few days ago (could've been this one, lol). My South African brain just can't compute it. Oh well, DeMartino will be along shortly to encourage us to either shut up or leave the country.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #283 on: January 04, 2019, 06:44:46 AM »
I put on my right indicator, light turns green and there's a gap. Just as I start moving into the right lane, the guy in the right lane accelerates hard to block me. I let the prick past and as I'm moving into the lane behind him, the next guy also blocks me off.
I mentioned this exact phenomenon in a thread a few days ago (could've been this one, lol). My South African brain just can't compute it. Oh well, DeMartino will be along shortly to encourage us to either shut up or leave the country.
Yeah that guy was an asshole. People can be assholes. Back home no one ever whines about other drivers acting selfishly.

I mean what is this? You make it seem like I'm the bad guy, but you're the one whose brain didn't take 10 sseconds to do the basic analysis of "Complaints about driving- Korean phenomenon or global phenomenon?"

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #284 on: January 04, 2019, 07:54:43 AM »
Posts removed/modified. I decided I don't want to bother.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 08:25:05 AM by Mister Tim »

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #285 on: January 04, 2019, 08:14:09 AM »

Another driving phenomenon is merging from a slip road onto the highway. Lots of Koreans seem really poor at this [spatial awareness deficiency].

1) If I'm going at 100+ on the highway then why are you driving at only 70 trying to merge in and then change lanes. Thus, causing me or others to hit the brakes hard.

2) Koreans who still drive on the inner lane when a line of cars are trying to merge causing them to slow down and back up. Change lanes you muppet and let the cars in.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #286 on: January 04, 2019, 08:45:34 AM »
My South African brain just can't compute it.

Another driving phenomenon is merging from a slip road onto the highway. Lots of Koreans seem really poor at this [spatial awareness deficiency].

It's crap like this. What is there something biological at work here?

If Koreans talked about in this way, we would say that's pretty rude at a minimum, and racist at worst.

People say they criticize their own culture or would be fine if Koreans came to their country and complained. Maybe so, but what if they complained like THAT. I doubt many here would have much use for it.

Same here. It's one thing if you a Korean asks "Any problems with Korea?" and you give him a look that's half frustration but also half sympathy and go "Ohhhh the traffic. It can get REALLY stressful." as opposed to say "The traffic here boggles my South African mind. What's wrong with Koreans? Do you have a spatial awareness deficiency or something? This doesn't happen in my country. You know you're the #1 country in the OECD for road deaths? Why don't you change it?"

Like VanIslander said, some people just aren't cut out for living in another culture that isn't the one they grew up with (or perhaps one that caters to tourists).

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #287 on: January 04, 2019, 08:50:44 AM »

If Koreans talked about in this way, we would say that's pretty rude at a minimum, and racist at worst.

People say they criticize their own culture or would be fine if Koreans came to their country and complained. Maybe so, but what if they complained like THAT. I doubt many here would have much use for it.

Same here. It's one thing if you a Korean asks "Any problems with Korea?" and you give him a look that's half frustration but also half sympathy and go "Ohhhh the traffic. It can get REALLY stressful." as opposed to say "The traffic here boggles my South African mind. What's wrong with Koreans? Do you have a spatial awareness deficiency or something? This doesn't happen in my country. You know you're the #1 country in the OECD for road deaths? Why don't you change it?"

Like VanIslander said, some people just aren't cut out for living in another culture that isn't the one they grew up with (or perhaps one that caters to tourists).

Biological faults aside, I'm happy to concede and go along with Koreans are just sh1t drivers. Capiche?

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #288 on: January 04, 2019, 08:52:54 AM »

I don't know what your problem is with people saying "Huh, I never experienced this much in my home country, but I experience it a lot in Korea".

Your response every time is basically "Think harder because you probably did experience it at home".  People are saying they didn't which is the whole point of the conversation. 

Offline tylerthegloob

• Expert Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #289 on: January 04, 2019, 09:06:24 AM »

I don't know what your problem is with people saying "Huh, I never experienced this much in my home country, but I experience it a lot in Korea".

Your response every time is basically "Think harder because you probably did experience it at home".  People are saying they didn't which is the whole point of the conversation.

I don't know why people who have a hard time in korea boil things down to some biological/cultural deficiency that koreans must have.

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #290 on: January 04, 2019, 09:16:31 AM »

I don't know why people who have a hard time in korea boil things down to some biological/cultural deficiency that koreans must have.

I'm not even sure that people are doing this and thinking that deeply about it.  I think people are observing cultural differences that annoy them which is fair I think.

Offline Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #291 on: January 04, 2019, 09:19:18 AM »
work-related stuff at public school never bothered me too much (the key was to stop caring so much), but for christ sake, let me know when my vacation is

i would just end up booking it and telling the school when it was, and they'd (begrudgingly) work around that schedule. but why does it have to be like that?

the whole "principal is god" thing drove me crazy too, especially as most principals were complete tossers

the whole public school environment as a whole reeked of unprofessionalism and pettiness

I done that for my vacation this year, however, before I booked everything, my boss and Co-T knew I had a family event to go to. So they done the camp around my vacation schedule, and not begrudgingly :p

I'm kind of lucky. My current school doesn't give me an unprofessional or pettiness vibe, and the principal is pretty nice :D but, it's a small rural school in the middle of nowhere. :P

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #292 on: January 04, 2019, 09:53:47 AM »

I'm not even sure that people are doing this and thinking that deeply about it.  I think people are observing cultural differences that annoy them which is fair I think.

Because I blame the individual behind the wheel, not his culture. You know, that whole "Treat people as individuals and not some anonymous representative of their ethnicity/religion/race" thing.

As for something like being pissed off at other drivers, that's something that literally takes like, half a second for me to think of, understand the concept as it relates to the argument, and think of a situation back home where I had similar rage. In most cases when it comes to these gripes, you can think of something pretty darned similar or comparable in another field that happens at home. It doesn't take much thought.

It's like "Koreans are so intolerant and racist and blah blah blah." It's like well maybe, but on the other hand they've had Catholicism AND Protestantism brought into their country, which is completely foreign, and aside from some really early missionary stuff, it hasn't resulted in any wars or sectarian divisions. You've had different heads of state of differing religions. No one cares. Can you imagine the shitstorm in our countries if 33% became Hindu or Buddhist or Muslim? In some NET-origin countries, people still brawl in pubs over that stuff. Do you think Koreans are brawling over whether they're Protestant or Catholic? So how the heck are you going to talk down about them and their intolerance like your own culture is so high and mighty? Would you care to be constantly lectured by them on religion? Or maybe you'd say "You know, it's actually a really complicated issue and there are reasons for this stuff happening, and you know before you look down on my culture, there's some pretty messed up stuff that goes on in your neck of the woods."

And when people bring this stuff up, look at the tone of some of the posts. You can tell which ones are people venting, but still wanting the best. And you can tell which ones have some anger and bigotry and prejudice creeping into them. You can tell which ones are about bringing out some sort of measuring stick and saying "Koreans are down here, and we (I) am up here."

It's like what do you want them to do? What is the point in all of this? Do make you king? To change their culture to be exactly like yours? To worship you because of your lifetime of accomplishments? And seriously, who the heck are you?

That's why I mentioned the whole "1980s college student ajosshi" thing. Maybe instead of stereotyping someone, you should sit down and listen to them tell you why they make the decisions they make. It's not the boss' job to explain himself TO YOU, but you know, maybe if you're out on the town, you can pick his brain for 15 minutes on his life experiences. You might be surprised- that ajosshi manager once threw back tear gas canisters at riot police because he wanted democracy. Certainly more than any of us nothing-but-talkers have done in the name of human rights and democracy.

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #293 on: January 04, 2019, 10:07:03 AM »
You're overthinking it way too much.  No one expects anything to happen as a result of posting a message on a forum.  They got annoyed and want to vent.  It's cathartic; nothing more than that.

When I worked in England I used to moan all the time with my deskmate about stuff that had annoyed me that morning or whatever.  We just got stuff off our chests.  We didn't ponder the back story of every person we met.  I'm doing that now but just on a forum because I no longer have that deskmate to turn to.

I do agree that some posters on here really do go close to the bone with their denigration of Korea/Koreans.  Aristocrat springs to mind; I think he literally hates Korean culture and doesn't pull his punches when talking about it.

But most of us I have to think are just venting.  No ulterior motives.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #294 on: January 04, 2019, 10:11:50 AM »
What has a bit of forward planning and letting staff know the schedule as soon  as possible so they can organise their lives better got to do with dodging tear gas canisters back in the 80's? Does the principal get a pass for being a slacker because he took part in a couple of pro democracy demos as a student? Which by the way is statistically unlikely

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #295 on: January 04, 2019, 10:19:22 AM »
you might not get to know your vacation as soon as you would like, but at least you aren't dying of thirst, caked in leprosy, lying in a pile of your own filth, like someone probably is in the world right now
-dimatio(tm)

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #296 on: January 04, 2019, 10:43:05 AM »
I do agree that some posters on here really do go close to the bone with their denigration of Korea/Koreans.  Aristocrat springs to mind; I think he literally hates Korean culture and doesn't pull his punches when talking about it.

But most of us I have to think are just venting.  No ulterior motives.
Yeah, I get that. Contrary to popular opinion, I don't respond to EVERY venting post.In fact, most are normal venting and I don't care. But some of them, like you said, are pretty borderline if not outright over the line in their sentiment and I think that at some point you have to say something. I'm not the only poster who has ever felt uncomfortable with the tone of some of these posts. Say your piece, but if you step over the line, don't be surprised when someone tries to check you.

What has a bit of forward planning and letting staff know the schedule as soon  as possible so they can organise their lives better got to do with dodging tear gas canisters back in the 80's? Does the principal get a pass for being a slacker because he took part in a couple of pro democracy demos as a student? Which by the way is statistically unlikely
I'm talking about the "I know more than you" sentiment that some posters seem to come here with, as though they in themselves have more collective intelligence/common sense/creativity/experience than the entire country. People could be a little less condescending and perhaps pointing out some things from history can temper their opinion.

The principal doesn't get a pass, but if someone here is ranting about their boss representing Korea's authoritarianism and how things never change or something, it is useful to bring up the WIDESPREAD student protests under the military dictatorship. You had an entire major city rise up in open rebellion against the national government. These weren't fringe events. Think back to the 60s and Vietnam in the U.S. A lot of current yuppies were former hippies. It's like some millennial lecturing them about "standing up to power". That generation did things that make our current protests look like a joke in comparison. Those weren't fringe events anymore and neither were Korean protests against the government.

you might not get to know your vacation as soon as you would like, but at least you aren't dying of thirst, caked in leprosy, lying in a pile of your own filth, like someone probably is in the world right now
-dimatio(tm)
The issue isn't that there isn't a problem. The issue is when you complain in a tone equivalent to that. It sucks. But saying "Dude, there's A LOT worse" doesn't mean it doesn't suck, it just means "Dude, there's a lot worse. Calm down a bit. Like, that doesn't justify borderline bigoted sentiments." Or at least if you're going to gripe and be "cultural" about it, try and keep it somewhat lighthearted, maybe put in some sort of self-effacing line at the end.

• The Legend
« Reply #297 on: January 04, 2019, 10:50:55 AM »
 DeM do you actually teach? Where do you get the time during the day to write such long replies?

Most of us will drop in quickly in a free moment but for sure I don't have the time (or the inclination) to write such long replies.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

• The Legend
« Reply #298 on: January 04, 2019, 10:57:05 AM »
This spacial awareness thing that is being referred to in this thread is not confined to Korea. It's the same in China, Taiwan and the Philippines. Maybe it's an Asian thing, I am not being racist or insulting, it is just an observation.

Scooter drivers in Taiwan are freaking insane, they are suicidal, same in China, no concept of space and slowing down at dangerous situations.  I have heard that Thailand is right up there with this problem too.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #299 on: January 04, 2019, 10:58:02 AM »
As someone who is also prone to fits of verbal diarrhea, I can say it really doesn't take some of us all that long to type a post like that. Less than one class period, easily, so as long as someone isn't teaching 8 classes per workday, I don't assume they wouldn't have time to drop essay bombs on waygook.