March 25, 2019, 01:23:43 AM

Author Topic: Why is Korea so stressful?  (Read 18366 times)

Offline PatrickBateman

• Adventurer
Re: Why is Korea so stressful?
« Reply #240 on: January 03, 2019, 01:39:56 AM »
I usually comment on this forum to vent all the negativity so it bleeds less into my real life.

While there are things I love about Korea, the root of what stresses me to no end is the culture, which I frankly have no respect for. Ultimately, Korean culture is less than useless at solving problems as it focuses on enduring, deflecting or masking problems. Secondly, the toxic mix of Confucianism and rabid Capitalism has bred one the most selfish mentalities I've ever imagined. This finds its way into almost every aspect of everyday life, I'll just list a few experiences for this week:

- Gym, most people don't re-rack their weights or just drop whatever they're finished using wherever (selfishness)

- Driving to work, in an attempt to be considerate, I stayed in the left lane at the lights even though I was going to turn right 150m past the lights. The right lane, at the lights, always has a stream of cars turning right on the red, so I'd be blocking them. I put on my right indicator, light turns green and there's a gap. Just as I start moving into the right lane, the guy in the right lane accelerates hard to block me. I let the prick past and as I'm moving into the lane behind him, the next guy also blocks me off. I'm forced to stop and hold up a stream of cars for about 20sec as NOBODY will give a gap. (pure selfishness)

- My main school has about 600 kids and plenty of staff, in a small city. It has an athletics track and 2 large buildings. What it
  doesn't have is a single water cooler or water fountain for any of the staff or students. The only place to get water, in the
  entire school, are the bathroom taps, or the cafeteria canteens which is filled with that disgusting lukewarm grass tea and
  water concoction. Apparently, staff have "complained" about this and none of the 3 principles which have come and gone
  saw fit to grant the request. (enduring the problem)

- Textbook quality hasn't changed (enduring the problem)

- Government, media and most Koreans solely blame China for the fact that I've just had the sickest month of my entire life
  (4 weeks of coughs, flu, fever and an ear-infection). (deflecting the problem)

The delicate nationalistic egos mixed a culture which prides itself on being utterly sh*te at solving problems, means that the more time I spend ignoring or avoiding Korean culture, the happier I usually end up being.

Jeez what a spot on post. I love reading these bc it reminds me that I'm definitely not the only one that see this selfishness in some many facets of life here.  I've had all these issues except the water cooler, we had one of those in the gym. 

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #241 on: January 03, 2019, 06:41:40 AM »
I understand you are nationalistic and of Korean ethnicity but to blindly defend 'your' country

There it is. The "You're Korean so the reason you are thinking this way is because of your ethnicity argument."

Stay classy.

Except, it is 100% true. Or you are a non-Korean KoreaBoo.

Bigot.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #242 on: January 03, 2019, 06:46:23 AM »
Does he have one about corn on pizza?

here

Good graphics anyway.

There should be another strip where Vicenzo goes to Naples (Italy) and gets slapped around by Luigi for ordering a pepperoni and mushroom, instead of a margherita or marinara

Yeah, of all the gripes this is one of our stupidest. "How dare they put corn or sweet potato on and not authentic ingredients like Canadian Bacon or BBQ chicken. Also stop calling Rom-a and Ital-i-a. It's Rome and Italy."

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #243 on: January 03, 2019, 06:50:05 AM »
Some people are just not built to thrive outside of the socio-cultural context of their upbringing.

Hence,... STRESS!

Yup. This. Also it sounds like you actually did a modicum of research before coming here and knew what to expect.

To all of the whiners and moaners: Didn't you know about these problems beforehand? And you still chose to come over here?

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #244 on: January 03, 2019, 07:32:54 AM »
Also stop calling Rom-a and Ital-i-a. It's Rome and Italy."

Countries have different names in other languages.
The World Ends With You

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #245 on: January 03, 2019, 07:45:07 AM »

I think he was making the point that Westerners shouldn't call Koreans out for using the original names of the countries instead of our Anglicised ones. Here we disagree, at least if it's in a teaching English context. Obviously if they refer to Roma and Italia when they're speaking Korean that's fine. However if you're teaching them English and they use the Italian names, that's not English. You could argue that Italia and Roma are more commonly known around the world, we should be teaching them world English and most conversations in English in the world are between two non native speakers. However I bet if you asked Koreans whether they want to learn standardised US or UK English or some kind of World English, more easily understood by Chinese or Japanese, they'd choose the former.

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #246 on: January 03, 2019, 07:45:31 AM »
This thread has taken an interesting turn. The title is 'Why is Korea so stressful?' People have expressed why they find it stressful and it is a personal thing, what is stressful for you may not be stressful for the next person so naturally opinions differ.

What I find interesting is that every time someone expresses an opinion DeM comes down on them like a ton of bricks and explains to them that it's all their fault, didn't research before coming, didn't translate non-existent messages, you are an immigrant, what do you expect etc, etc.  It's like he has a problem with anyone who dares say something slightly but legitimately negative. Lately too, he has taken to using insults to convey his message. I find that totally unacceptable. No need to be insulting when you want to disagree with someone.

I am wondering if he happened to go to another country like China, Japan or Taiwan to teach and things weren't to his liking, would he still sing the praises of that country or would he join the band of 'whiners and moaners' as he so often calls us?

DeM, just because something is not stressful for you doesn't mean it's not stressful for someone else. It doesn't make it not true.  People are expressing why it is stressful for them, so you need not attack them. They have an opinion and they are entitled to it just as much as you are entitled to yours.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #247 on: January 03, 2019, 07:50:04 AM »

yeah but if you're speaking english, use the english names. otherwise you just sound like a bellend

Offline tylerthegloob

• Expert Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #248 on: January 03, 2019, 07:59:03 AM »

DeM, just because something is not stressful for you doesn't mean it's not stressful for someone else. It doesn't make it not true.  People are expressing why it is stressful for them, so you need not attack them. They have an opinion and they are entitled to it just as much as you are entitled to yours.

I think it's because there are some people who pretend that Korea is objectively shitty for all of us (in one way or another). Not saying that's you, but there are definitely people who present it that way. Instead of, "I really get bothered by..." people use other more moralizing or even condescending language towards Koreans. Personally, I'm in 'Tino's camp on this one. Nothing here has bothered me much (though I haven't been here as long as most of you). So, when I see things that don't bother me, I like to speak up about it ("hey, i see that too and it doesn't really bother me"). Maybe I shouldn't do that or maybe it's not helpful, but I just like to provide that alternative viewpoint so that everything isn't so one-sided. I think 'Tino is doing something similar.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #249 on: January 03, 2019, 08:00:54 AM »

yeah but if you're speaking english, use the english names. otherwise you just sound like a bellend

You definitely sound like a bellend if you're using those terms as an English native speaker. Like someone who says 'ciao' when they arrive/leave

• The Legend
« Reply #250 on: January 03, 2019, 08:01:31 AM »

I think it's because there are some people who pretend that Korea is objectively shitty for all of us (in one way or another). Not saying that's you, but there are definitely people who present it that way. Instead of, "I really get bothered by..." people use other more moralizing or even condescending language towards Koreans. Personally, I'm in 'Tino's camp on this one. Nothing here has bothered me much (though I haven't been here as long as most of you). So, when I see things that don't bother me, I like to speak up about it ("hey, i see that too and it doesn't really bother me"). Maybe I shouldn't do that or maybe it's not helpful, but I just like to provide that alternative viewpoint so that everything isn't so one-sided. I think 'Tino is doing something similar.

The difference is that you are not abusive and rude. For sure you have the right to say what you say, but it is how you say it that counts.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #251 on: January 03, 2019, 08:04:18 AM »

I've been here 15 years and never been bothered by pushing on the subway. However when I mentioned this in the past someone pointed out that maybe it was because I was the one doing the pushing, so I shut up about it, until now  :smiley:

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #252 on: January 03, 2019, 08:06:36 AM »

Yeah, of all the gripes this is one of our stupidest. "How dare they put corn or sweet potato on and not authentic ingredients like Canadian Bacon or BBQ chicken. Also stop calling Rom-a and Ital-i-a. It's Rome and Italy."

On the topic of this thread, I don't think anyone would actually say they're stressed because Koreans put corn on pizza. It's just a silly difference we like to talk about, because sometimes cultural differences are amusing. When I tell my family that Koreans put corn on pizza, it's not in a "Those dang heathens, living in the dark ages, how dare they!" sort of way, it's in a "haha, differences are sometimes funny" sort of way.

I don't look down on Korea for putting corn on pizza, and I doubt most other foreigners here do, either. In fact, there's one common ingredient on Korean pizza that I wish the US would adopt: Potato. Not sweet potato, though. Just plain ol' potato. It's so good on pizza, and it's already such a ubiquitous ingredient in US cuisine that it's almost unbelievable that it isn't already a common topping there.

Yes, I realize there are people who are condescending and overly negative about it. Please try not to lump the other 99% of the people who laugh about corn on pizza in with them, though.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #253 on: January 03, 2019, 08:07:36 AM »
I understand you are nationalistic and of Korean ethnicity but to blindly defend 'your' country

There it is. The "You're Korean so the reason you are thinking this way is because of your ethnicity argument."

Stay classy.

Except, it is 100% true. Or you are a non-Korean KoreaBoo.

Bigot.

Mirror?

Offline CypherSoul

• Veteran
  • U wot m8?
« Reply #254 on: January 03, 2019, 08:08:38 AM »
I heard in 2002 about this habit in South Korea and thus when I came over that year I told myself to not try and change the culture, but to roll with it. That attitude has served me well ever since. I've shaken my head and laughed at it countless times. It is a reality. I don't need to understand it, yet one tries to, and it seems knowledge equals power/status.

That's a good way to look at things.  8) I will try to be more like this too! Yesterday was a terrible day (bad news from home) and then the cherry on top was my school. But anyway laughter is the best medicine in such situations!  8)

I usually comment on this forum to vent all the negativity so it bleeds less into my real life.
This is so important!  :angel:

While there are things I love about Korea, the root of what stresses me to no end is the culture, which I frankly have no respect for. Ultimately, Korean culture is less than useless at solving problems as it focuses on enduring, deflecting or masking problems. Secondly, the toxic mix of Confucianism and rabid Capitalism has bred one the most selfish mentalities I've ever imagined.

It is called Hell Joseon for a reason! I myself from an Asian background but have no qualms calling out other Asians on their BS! Things cannot carry on the way they have been and it drives me nuts that Koreans just take it! That is not a way to live, if you cannot speak, you will not change society and the cycle of suffering will continue!  :blank:

The delicate nationalistic egos mixed a culture which prides itself on being utterly sh*te at solving problems, means that the more time I spend ignoring or avoiding Korean culture, the happier I usually end up being.

I believe I have started doing more of this. I love learning languages but I have been put off Korean even though I wanted to learn it before however I still need to know the language to survive so I shall continue but I have no interest in it anymore.  :undecided:
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #255 on: January 03, 2019, 08:11:32 AM »

I've been here 15 years and never been bothered by pushing on the subway. However when I mentioned this in the past someone pointed out that maybe it was because I was the one doing the pushing, so I shut up about it, until now  :smiley:

On busy subways around the world, people are pushed all the time. It is the standing by the doors and not moving aside to let people alight that is "stressful". I don't find it stressful but rather enjoyable to push Koreans out of the way to get out of the subway, giving the person hogging the door a good shoulder or elbow to their body.

Offline CypherSoul

• Veteran
  • U wot m8?
« Reply #256 on: January 03, 2019, 08:18:46 AM »
On busy subways around the world, people are pushed all the time. It is the standing by the doors and not moving aside to let people alight that is "stressful". I don't find it stressful but rather enjoyable to push Koreans out of the way to get out of the subway, giving the person hogging the door a good shoulder or elbow to their body.

:laugh: :laugh: you know sometimes it shocks me but then I remember I lived in London and had to use the London Underground every day and let me tell you, all politeness goes out the window once that 8 am tube comes down the platform. People forget their civility in a bid to get to work on time  :laugh: :laugh:

Basically this:
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

• The Legend
« Reply #257 on: January 03, 2019, 08:25:25 AM »

:laugh: :laugh: you know sometimes it shocks me but then I remember I lived in London and had to use the London Underground every day and let me tell you, all politeness goes out the window once that 8 am tube comes down the platform. People forget their civility in a bid to get to work on time  :laugh: :laugh:

Basically this:

I found the same in China though not as bad as in Korea, they also storm into an elevator which had me completely baffled. Taiwan is the opposite, everyone is so polite.

Offline CypherSoul

• Veteran
  • U wot m8?
« Reply #258 on: January 03, 2019, 08:40:11 AM »
I found the same in China though not as bad as in Korea, they also storm into an elevator which had me completely baffled. Taiwan is the opposite, everyone is so polite.

Rome is okay but the constant battle to keep your bag safe from pickpockets gets old, too many of them! Same in Barcelona and Paris. But overall okay, nothing too dire personally.

I do miss Yorkshire! (Home). People were generally polite except maybe 1 or 2 people but you always get one bad apple in a bunch!  :laugh:

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #259 on: January 03, 2019, 08:47:49 AM »
I think he was making the point that Westerners shouldn't call Koreans out for using the original names of the countries instead of our Anglicised ones....

Yeah, that was basically all I was getting at. It's fine to correct them in English class and teach different pronunciations. But some people here, and this is a generalization but they tend to be North American, are usually the ones guilty of this. Usually everyone else know about "Roma" vs. "Rome" because of football or travel. Like I've met NETs who you've had to tell that "Rome" isn't the actual name and that the Korean pronunciation is actually closer than the English one.

You definitely sound like a bellend if you're using those terms as an English native speaker. Like someone who says 'ciao' when they arrive/leave
I dunno, I'm on the fence. And this is where being American works the other way. A lot of times people will use Spanish pronunciations for certain things. Sometimes it's intentional and obnoxious other times it just happens naturally.

Yes, I realize there are people who are condescending and overly negative about it. Please try not to lump the other 99% of the people who laugh about corn on pizza in with them, though.
Oh I agree. I mean we all joke about that and sweet potato. 99% of us have the sense to realize our BBQ Chicken or Hawaiian pizza is just as much of an abomination.

But then there are idiots like the cartoonist who clearly is being condescending and has no clue.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 09:05:01 AM by Mr.DeMartino »