January 22, 2019, 01:47:51 PM

Author Topic: Why is Korea so stressful?  (Read 15940 times)

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
Re: Why is Korea so stressful?
« Reply #220 on: January 02, 2019, 01:08:53 PM »
If there's a magical price that you have to pay to guarantee that you won't hear your neighbours (next to and above) then I'd love to know what it is and then at least I can work towards it lol.

We've only just moved into the new place and already the elephants are stampeding above.

Well, there's your answer. 100 million down and 2 million+ per month to rent. Or a billion+ to buy.

Get saving; pick up all the overtime you can. 화이팅!

Offline tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #221 on: January 02, 2019, 01:14:38 PM »
If there's a magical price that you have to pay to guarantee that you won't hear your neighbours (next to and above) then I'd love to know what it is and then at least I can work towards it lol.

It's the price of noise cancelling headphones, amiright or amiright?

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #222 on: January 02, 2019, 01:18:16 PM »
I am perfectly able to interpreting data and Geography, thank you. It is you that just blindly defends Korea no matter what. I understand you are nationalistic and of Korean ethnicity but to blindly defend 'your' country and not acknowledge it has faults is a little crazy.
If you are, then why did you suggest that because Korea was #26 that it wasn't one of the most densely populated countries on the planet? Pretty much anyone would classify Korea as such and would put microstates in a different category than say, a Korea or a Bangladesh. The whole comic was ridiculous and akin to someone from South Dakota complaining about paying $2,000 a month to live in a studio in NYC when that could get you a mini-mansion where they're from.

Talking about blind, that comic was blind. It was blind bashing and IT had faults. How am I blindly defending something by pointing out something obviously true?

I understand you are nationalistic and of Korean ethnicity but to blindly defend 'your' country

There it is. The "You're Korean so the reason you are thinking this way is because of your ethnicity argument."

Stay classy.

I think you are scared that your relatives, friends (of Korean origin or actual Koreans) will disown you should you say one thing negative about Korea.
The comic was moronic. It had nothing to do with me being ethnically Korean. The fact that you can't see that and boil everything down to my ethnicity says more about your prejudices than mine.

Anyway, no point in discussing this any further. Is Korea terrible? NO, is Korea perfect as you see it, NO. Just for once admit that not everything Korean is correct and all of us foreigners are automatically wrong and need an attitude adjustment.
The audience here is foreigners and the goal is making things better. Being proactive and considering that meetings, messenger chats, announcements, bulletins, etc. are sources of information and updates and being proactive is just good advice. Your hagwon boss or coteacher (normally) isn't on here. If the audience was mostly them, I might have a different take and encourage them to be more hospitable.

The fact that you selectively read my comments and only emphasize the parts where I "defend" Korea and not the parts where I acknowledge faults on the other side or put in qualifiers like "mostly" "sometimes" "usually", is your fault (and it's something I get wrong as well sometimes), not mine.

Just as you see yourself as not 100% negative, I don't see myself as 100% defending and I think that both of us are probably right in that case.

Finally, if you'll notice, I tend to favor "nationalism" and "home rules" in all cases. In essence, it's a version of Star Trek's Prime Directive. It's their place, their rules, and it's not really our business to come and start demanding they change and to dictate things and that we need to keep an open mind about why people do things. We should also be conscious of our own faults of character and the human tendency to misinterpret things and assume malice.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #223 on: January 02, 2019, 01:22:10 PM »

alexisalex, just buy some noise cancelling headphones to wear while in your apartment, including while you sleep. Will lead to a higher quality of life.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #224 on: January 02, 2019, 01:29:27 PM »
I understand you are nationalistic and of Korean ethnicity but to blindly defend 'your' country

There it is. The "You're Korean so the reason you are thinking this way is because of your ethnicity argument."

Stay classy.

Except, it is 100% true. Or you are a non-Korean KoreaBoo.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #225 on: January 02, 2019, 01:30:30 PM »

With doors slamming you can still experience the vibrations but less noisy for sure.

Offline tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #226 on: January 02, 2019, 01:35:55 PM »

alexisalex, just buy some noise cancelling headphones to wear while in your apartment, including while you sleep. Will lead to a higher quality of life.

Yeah, or do nothing and continue to let your neighbors drive you crazy. Hey, man... I'm all about solutions!  :wink:

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #227 on: January 02, 2019, 01:36:36 PM »

That sounds like a Top Tips from Viz type solution. I assume you're joshing

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #228 on: January 02, 2019, 01:49:19 PM »

Also great for when your wife watches K-dramas at Korean-tolerated decibel levels.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #229 on: January 02, 2019, 02:02:19 PM »

Also great for when your wife watches K-dramas at Korean-tolerated decibel levels.

Or for all those K pop girl band videos

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #230 on: January 02, 2019, 02:08:20 PM »
DeMArtino: The comic was moronic. It had nothing to do with me being ethnically Korean. The fact that you can't see that and boil everything down to my ethnicity says more about your prejudices than mine.

Got to agree with that.  That comic's punchline was telegraphed from the get go and weak at that. I cringe to think that strip is an ongoing concern.  Does he have one about corn on pizza?  That'd be a real hoot!

Offline theman3285

• Super Waygook
« Reply #231 on: January 02, 2019, 02:21:44 PM »
just buy some noise cancelling headphones to wear while in your apartment, including while you sleep. Will lead to a higher quality of life.
Not an option for side-sleepers :cry:

I almost pulled the trigger on these, though:

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=1121155220

And if money were no object, I'd try these:

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=1516001894

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #232 on: January 02, 2019, 03:45:49 PM »
just buy some noise cancelling headphones to wear while in your apartment, including while you sleep. Will lead to a higher quality of life.
Not an option for side-sleepers :cry:

I almost pulled the trigger on these, though:

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=1121155220

And if money were no object, I'd try these:

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=1516001894
i bought a pair of these and they are great (i like listening to music/podcasts/audiobooks as i sleep

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014T3QLBA/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B014T3QLBA&pd_rd_w=6W5Hg&pf_rd_p=f0dedbe2-13c8-4136-a746-4398ed93cf0f&pd_rd_wg=jM8uZ&pf_rd_r=14W5Z1K1AFGB8FMVR03T&pd_rd_r=5145bf2b-0e62-11e9-9fc1-87cf5b4d0ae5

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #233 on: January 02, 2019, 05:30:10 PM »

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #234 on: January 02, 2019, 06:25:47 PM »
Does he have one about corn on pizza?

here

Good graphics anyway.

There should be another strip where Vicenzo goes to Naples (Italy) and gets slapped around by Luigi for ordering a pepperoni and mushroom, instead of a margherita or marinara

Online VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #235 on: January 02, 2019, 07:59:26 PM »
The lack of planning, last minute decisions, not informing all staff of happenings etc is not something that only effects foreigners (or ""Immigrants"").
My Korean co-workers cuss and complain about more than I ever would, about not knowing when things are going to be cancelled, holidays set.
I heard in 2002 about this habit in South Korea and thus when I came over that year I told myself to not try and change the culture, but to roll with it. That attitude has served me well ever since. I've shaken my head and laughed at it countless times. It is a reality. I don't need to understand it, yet one tries to, and it seems knowledge equals power/status.

When I spoke to a Korean coworker about a planned upcoming class schedule change, she physically tried HARD to wrench the paper out of my hands, though I held on, smiling. She said it wasn't decided yet, then she stormed off upset. The next day the director handed the schedule change sheet and it was identical to the copy I'd alertly acquired from the photcopier/printer two days earlier.

All is good/funny/certainly interesting. :)

When a newbie teacher asks how I could still be here in my 18th year, I say "It's never boring." Seriously. Of course, there's material galore if you've got an inquisitive, reflective mind.

"Stress" is such a personal experience that I only seem to get caught up in hereabouts when dealing with paperwork for immi.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 08:02:11 PM by VanIslander »

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #236 on: January 02, 2019, 08:06:02 PM »
work-related stuff at public school never bothered me too much (the key was to stop caring so much), but for christ sake, let me know when my vacation is

i would just end up booking it and telling the school when it was, and they'd (begrudgingly) work around that schedule. but why does it have to be like that?

the whole "principal is god" thing drove me crazy too, especially as most principals were complete tossers

the whole public school environment as a whole reeked of unprofessionalism and pettiness

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #237 on: January 02, 2019, 08:19:47 PM »
work-related stuff at public school never bothered me too much (the key was to stop caring so much), but for christ sake, let me know when my vacation is

i would just end up booking it and telling the school when it was, and they'd (begrudgingly) work around that schedule. but why does it have to be like that?

the whole "principal is god" thing drove me crazy too, especially as most principals were complete tossers

the whole public school environment as a whole reeked of unprofessionalism and pettiness

You are going to get DeM all wound up now.   :laugh: :laugh:
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #238 on: January 02, 2019, 10:12:05 PM »
I usually comment on this forum to vent all the negativity so it bleeds less into my real life.

While there are things I love about Korea, the root of what stresses me to no end is the culture, which I frankly have no respect for. Ultimately, Korean culture is less than useless at solving problems as it focuses on enduring, deflecting or masking problems. Secondly, the toxic mix of Confucianism and rabid Capitalism has bred one the most selfish mentalities I've ever imagined. This finds its way into almost every aspect of everyday life, I'll just list a few experiences for this week:

- Gym, most people don't re-rack their weights or just drop whatever they're finished using wherever (selfishness)

- Driving to work, in an attempt to be considerate, I stayed in the left lane at the lights even though I was going to turn right 150m past the lights. The right lane, at the lights, always has a stream of cars turning right on the red, so I'd be blocking them. I put on my right indicator, light turns green and there's a gap. Just as I start moving into the right lane, the guy in the right lane accelerates hard to block me. I let the prick past and as I'm moving into the lane behind him, the next guy also blocks me off. I'm forced to stop and hold up a stream of cars for about 20sec as NOBODY will give a gap. (pure selfishness)

- My main school has about 600 kids and plenty of staff, in a small city. It has an athletics track and 2 large buildings. What it
  doesn't have is a single water cooler or water fountain for any of the staff or students. The only place to get water, in the
  entire school, are the bathroom taps, or the cafeteria canteens which is filled with that disgusting lukewarm grass tea and
  water concoction. Apparently, staff have "complained" about this and none of the 3 principles which have come and gone
  saw fit to grant the request. (enduring the problem)

- Textbook quality hasn't changed (enduring the problem)

- Government, media and most Koreans solely blame China for the fact that I've just had the sickest month of my entire life
  (4 weeks of coughs, flu, fever and an ear-infection). (deflecting the problem)

The delicate nationalistic egos mixed a culture which prides itself on being utterly sh*te at solving problems, means that the more time I spend ignoring or avoiding Korean culture, the happier I usually end up being.

Online VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #239 on: January 03, 2019, 12:32:13 AM »
Some people are just not built to thrive outside of the socio-cultural context of their upbringing.

Hence,... STRESS!