March 25, 2019, 01:50:19 AM

Author Topic: Why is Korea so stressful?  (Read 18372 times)

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
Re: Why is Korea so stressful?
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 09:02:26 AM »
This place is cake. If you think this is stress, you don't know stress.

I don't know. I don't find it particularly stressful, but Korea does seem to top a lot lists of most miserable perople, most stressed children, unhappiest people, type things. Young people refer to their own country as "hell".

Koreans also moan when it drops below 10 degrees and declare it subarctic. Even in Korean living this place is cake.

You want stress? Work 2 full-times while being a single mother. Spend 8 years in prison. Work some 3D job that puts you an inch away from death 8 hours a day. Dodge torpedoes in the North Atlantic or storm Okinawa. Spend 12 hours a day in subsistence farming.

"Oh woes is me I have to work till 8 filing paperwork." "Woe is me I have to prepare food for the family and suck up to mother-in-law on Chuseok" "Woe is me someone bumped me on the subway and my coteacher told me I have to deskwarm."

Mate, re-read that again. Do you know how utterly ridiculous you sound? I just read your post in the mining thread and your post was lucid, coherent and well argued. Then you come here and equate stress to dodging torpedoes in Okinawa? Do you have any idea how absurd that sounds? The most ridiculous thing is that your argument, if one can call it an argument, works the same way against you.

"You work 2 full times being a single mother? meh thats nothing lol. I work 2 full times as a single mother and one of my kids has leukemia"

"Dodge torpedoes? Thats nothing lol, our building got shelled and I was the only one who survived out of my team. Lost my arm mind you."

In addition, there is a difference between "annoyance" and "stress." One can be annoyed they have to deskwarm but I don't think anyone is losing any sleep over it.

I disagree. At some point you have to tell people to quit moaning and buck up and stop turning stuff here that is momentary annoyance at best into some sort of crucible.

My dad was drafted during Nam.THAT is stress. What am I supposed to say to him? "Oh dad my life is so stressful. I had to stay an extra 30  minutes grading tests and at dinner some guy was slurping." If I ever whined like that my dad would tell me about the day he was told "Join the army or go to jail". Or starting his own business from scratch. Or my grandfather dodging Japanese dive bombers in the South Pacific.

If you want to play the victim and declare a week of deskwarming to be stressful be my guest but don't expect my to sympathize.

Did you actually read either of my posts? I said there is a difference between annoyances and stress. Again, deskwarming is an annoyance, not a stress. Furthermore, I said Korea is guilty of culturally induced, self perpetuating stress on its people.

I know you will turn this around to mention the inner city, 4 guys rolling deep, getting involved in a drive by but... here we go.

Matt is 15 years old. He's just come back home from school and decides to crack on with his homework. He gets a text from his pal Billy. Billy is asking if Matt wants to come to the park with the rest of the boys and kick a ball around. This piece of homework isn't due until next Monday and the weather is nice out. Matt goes out and plays football. He comes back home and after dinner, kicks back and plays Call of Duty with his mates.

Minsu is 15 years old. He's just come back home from school and decides to crack on with his homework. He only has an hour or so until he has to go to his maths Hagwon. Minsu hates maths, he hates Hagwon. However, despite conclusive scientific research about how the brain absorbs information, his mother has forced him to go until 10pm. Once he finishes, he goes to the 7/11 to eat his dinner of cup ramen. While he eats this meal, which is his form of sustenance for the evening, he reflects upon his maths test tomorrow. If he doesn't get a high score he wont go to his chosen high school and will forever be seen as a disappointment and a failure. He doesn't even like maths. At 15 he is seriously considering killing himself.

(second story partially inspired by an observance I made from one of my own students)

The second example is what I mean of self perpetuated, unnecessary stress. The suicide rates don't lie. Its at such a high rate it should be seen as a national scandal.

Now Minsu is in the UK at a firm there, while Matt is in Korea teaching Minsu's nephew.

Offline theman3285

• Super Waygook
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 09:06:31 AM »
I reckon. Brings up his dad's military service in Vietnam. Come on mate. Vietnam was child's play. You think he was stressed? Piss off. I have an ancestor who was in Napolen's Grand Army that invaded Russia in 1812. 90% death rate. Now that's stress!
Yeah. Only those affected by Agent Orange (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMzJvwG2rsQ) have the right to complain about the shit show that was Nam, in my opinion.

Offline bigfishlittlefish

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2018, 09:08:58 AM »

I don't know. I don't find it particularly stressful, but Korea does seem to top a lot lists of most miserable perople, most stressed children, unhappiest people, type things. Young people refer to their own country as "hell".

Koreans also moan when it drops below 10 degrees and declare it subarctic. Even in Korean living this place is cake.

You want stress? Work 2 full-times while being a single mother. Spend 8 years in prison. Work some 3D job that puts you an inch away from death 8 hours a day. Dodge torpedoes in the North Atlantic or storm Okinawa. Spend 12 hours a day in subsistence farming.

"Oh woes is me I have to work till 8 filing paperwork." "Woe is me I have to prepare food for the family and suck up to mother-in-law on Chuseok" "Woe is me someone bumped me on the subway and my coteacher told me I have to deskwarm."

Mate, re-read that again. Do you know how utterly ridiculous you sound? I just read your post in the mining thread and your post was lucid, coherent and well argued. Then you come here and equate stress to dodging torpedoes in Okinawa? Do you have any idea how absurd that sounds? The most ridiculous thing is that your argument, if one can call it an argument, works the same way against you.

"You work 2 full times being a single mother? meh thats nothing lol. I work 2 full times as a single mother and one of my kids has leukemia"

"Dodge torpedoes? Thats nothing lol, our building got shelled and I was the only one who survived out of my team. Lost my arm mind you."

In addition, there is a difference between "annoyance" and "stress." One can be annoyed they have to deskwarm but I don't think anyone is losing any sleep over it.

I disagree. At some point you have to tell people to quit moaning and buck up and stop turning stuff here that is momentary annoyance at best into some sort of crucible.

My dad was drafted during Nam.THAT is stress. What am I supposed to say to him? "Oh dad my life is so stressful. I had to stay an extra 30  minutes grading tests and at dinner some guy was slurping." If I ever whined like that my dad would tell me about the day he was told "Join the army or go to jail". Or starting his own business from scratch. Or my grandfather dodging Japanese dive bombers in the South Pacific.

If you want to play the victim and declare a week of deskwarming to be stressful be my guest but don't expect my to sympathize.

Did you actually read either of my posts? I said there is a difference between annoyances and stress. Again, deskwarming is an annoyance, not a stress. Furthermore, I said Korea is guilty of culturally induced, self perpetuating stress on its people.

I know you will turn this around to mention the inner city, 4 guys rolling deep, getting involved in a drive by but... here we go.

Matt is 15 years old. He's just come back home from school and decides to crack on with his homework. He gets a text from his pal Billy. Billy is asking if Matt wants to come to the park with the rest of the boys and kick a ball around. This piece of homework isn't due until next Monday and the weather is nice out. Matt goes out and plays football. He comes back home and after dinner, kicks back and plays Call of Duty with his mates.

Minsu is 15 years old. He's just come back home from school and decides to crack on with his homework. He only has an hour or so until he has to go to his maths Hagwon. Minsu hates maths, he hates Hagwon. However, despite conclusive scientific research about how the brain absorbs information, his mother has forced him to go until 10pm. Once he finishes, he goes to the 7/11 to eat his dinner of cup ramen. While he eats this meal, which is his form of sustenance for the evening, he reflects upon his maths test tomorrow. If he doesn't get a high score he wont go to his chosen high school and will forever be seen as a disappointment and a failure. He doesn't even like maths. At 15 he is seriously considering killing himself.

(second story partially inspired by an observance I made from one of my own students)

The second example is what I mean of self perpetuated, unnecessary stress. The suicide rates don't lie. Its at such a high rate it should be seen as a national scandal.

Now Minsu is in the UK at a firm there, while Matt is in Korea teaching Minsu's nephew.

That would be the dream, unfortunately after failing is college entrance exam, he took a traditional nose dive into the Han

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2018, 09:09:10 AM »
No one is saying teachers are more stressed than other jobs. Korea can be stressful place to live. Accept it. Just because you are a pretend tough guy doesnt mean others have to share in the play acting.

Again, this place is cake. Like seriously. It's not about being a tough guy. It's about not being...easily upset.

"Join the army or go to jail" you think that's stress? try WW1's get killed by the enemy, or killed by your own troops.
"dodging Japanese dive bombers in the South Pacific" you think that's stress? try being the poor sod that has to hit your wriggly grandfather, and the shame when he doesn't.
"starting his own business from scratch" you think that's stress? try starting your own business whilst working 2 jobs as a single mother.

Well Martin, you have some privilege there

Yeah, there's a bit of a difference in the gap between Vietnam and WWI vs. teaching English in Korea and Vietnam.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2018, 09:10:48 AM »
That would be the dream, unfortunately after failing is college entrance exam, he took a traditional nose dive into the Han

Nah, he just went to education school and is now your VP. Or he's your salaryman parent who pays you money to tutor his kids at his house while he goes out and plays badminton.

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2018, 09:15:39 AM »

Nah, he just went to education school and is now your VP. Or he's your salaryman parent who pays you money to tutor his kid (no 's' with this birthrate) at his eastern block flat while he goes whoring.

fixed it for you

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2018, 09:25:00 AM »
Again, this place is cake. Like seriously. It's not about being a tough guy. It's about not being...easily upset.

So then why does Korea consistently come near top in unhappiest people studies? Because they like to moan? If this was another thread you would be fighting tooth and nail against that implication. But now you are just trying to wave off all the "Hell Joseon" stuff as Koreans just complaining too much. Which is it?

Again, stress in the modern world doesnt have to be mortal danger or extreme situations:

Some would say it's the unnatural situations we have put ourselves in of living aorund constant noise and stimulation, long periods of not moving, often looking at a screen under artificial light. The dangled carrot of impossible expectations. Disconnected familial relations, alienation from the labour process and often from real meaningful human relationships, growing uncertainty overthe future, insecure labour market, alienated from our base desires/purpose

The human brain is complex. If it was just about avoiding life and death situations, poverty and danger, than we would all be pretty happy all the time. But that's not how it works. Once we overcome the threat of being killed at any moment we find something else to fixate on and not be happy about. No matter how much someone might tell themselves that they should be happy because their great granddad was fighting at the Battle of the Somme 100 years ago, IT. DOESNT. WORK. THAT. WAY. You could put people in a perfect situation and a certain percentage would still find something to stress about.

You have the mind of a child or an Autist  Everything is black or white. "You've been drafted? No? Then shut the **** up, you have no stress!"
How on earth do you deal with other people in day to day situations.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 10:27:16 AM by zola »
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2018, 09:26:57 AM »

Nah, he just went to education school and is now your VP. Or he's your salaryman parent who pays you money to tutor his kid (no 's' with this birthrate) at his eastern block flat while he goes whoring.
He likes to go on golfing holidays with his mates to the Philippines where he knocks up some whore, dumps her arse and runs back to Korea, but he comes back with a special gift for his wife that hopefully can be cured by modern medicine. He likes to smoke, drink 10 bottles of soju a week and play poker with his mates. His wife gives him some play money which she knows he blows on visits to room salons, but she turns a blind eye as she knows that's better than being a single mum with no income. Poor old Minsu doesn't get that promotion, his life is in tatters as his neighbour is driving a brand new BMW while he's only got a 2012 Hyundai in grey. He wishes they hadn't put up those big plastic barriers at the train staions as things haven't turned out as well as he hoped. 

fixed it for you

sligo

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2018, 09:51:27 AM »

Now Minsu is in the UK at a firm there cleaning the toilets, as he felt this was the only way he could escape hell Joseon, while Matt is in Korea teaching Minsu's nephew advanced physics at SNU using the PHD he gained in a fully supportive education system based on uderstanding of facts rather than regurgitation of them.

FTFY

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2018, 09:52:41 AM »

This is just another 'TEFL isn't a proper job' type argument and doesn't really have anything to do with the issue. The point is we had the choice to teach kids abroad (something a lot of Koreans would love to be able to do) or try for a high powered job with a multinational and we were able to do either without having to sacrifice our childhoods to the same extent as Korean kids. Why do you think my wife wants our kid to be educated in the UK? Not because UK education is any better or because she wants him to be a TEFL teacher when he grows up (it'd be fine with me if he was by the way)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 09:55:42 AM by eggieguffer »

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2018, 10:25:44 AM »
Now Minsu is in the UK at a firm there cleaning the toilets, as he felt this was the only way he could escape hell Joseon, while Matt is in Korea teaching Minsu's nephew advanced physics at SNU using the PHD he gained in a fully supportive education system based on uderstanding of facts rather than regurgitation of them.

FTFY

Yeah, most Koreans immigrate to clean toilets.  :rolleyes:

Totally not to study as university students at good universities and then are either your boss here or have your job back home. While you went out and played, Minsu made hay.

(Note this doesn't apply to everyone here- plenty are just here for a gap year or two or whatever or have genuine interest in visiting and exploring Asia)

But for the people that constantly complain about Korea, but don't leave because they can't get a job back home, yeah that's you. Guess you should have studied a bit more.

The point is we had the choice to teach kids abroad (something a lot of Koreans would love to be able to do)

That owes more to having the good fortune to being born in an English speaking country.

So then why does Korea consitently come near top in unhappiest people studies? Because they like to moan? If this was another thread you would be fighting tooth and nail against that implication. But now you are just trying to wave off all the "Hell Joseon" stuff as Koreans just complaining too much. Which is it?

Well for starters a lot of those studies have come into question both for respondents in western countries overstating their happiness (an expectation) and respondents in other cultures de-emphasizing happiness or having different concepts of happiness. For example, in many cultures religious piety, duty, family obligation, etc. have greater emphasis than simple happiness. Indeed, some cultures may view the pursuit of happiness above all as naive or juvenile at best, sinful or hedonistic or decadent at worst.

Leaving that aside, I'm simply going with what most people say here- Koreans like to moan. Having known A LOT of Koreans back home, reactions varied. Some like America, some wanted to go back to Korea. Some who had never been to Korea loved it more when they visited/moved, some didn't like it at all. Some people like both places. And some people would complain no matter where they are.

Regardless, I think "Hell Joseon" is a bunch of hyperbolic crap too. Unless you're a 3D worker or single mother working 2 jobs or some 80 year old granny hauling cardboard, meh. Like I said, boo frickin hoo you have to stay till 8 while surfing Naver. Oh my goodness you have to do the work your boss says because he's the boss. Oh my goodness there's traffic.

Some would say it's the unnatural situations we have put ourselves in of living aorund constant noise and stimulation, long periods of not moving, often looking at a screen under artificial light. The dangled carrot of impossible expectations. Disconnected familial relations, alienation from the labour process and often from real meaningful human relationships, growing uncertainty overthe future, insecure labour market, alienated from our base desires/purpose

That's life. Either get over it or spend your life stressed and complaining.

The human brain is complex. If it was just about avoiding life and death situations, poverty and danger, than we would all be pretty happy all the time. But that's not how it works. Once we overcome the threat of being killed at any moment we find something else to fixate on and not be happy about. No matter how much someone might tell themselves that they should be happy because their great granddad was fighting at the Battle of the Somme 100 years ago, IT. DOESNT. WORK. THAT. WAY. You could put people in a perfect situation and a certain percentage would still find something to stress about.

Yeah, those people are eff ups except for the small percentage of them that are driven perfectionists or some such.

Some people look for things to be angry about. Others make plans for 5:01 to go and find something fun and think about what fun project they're going to work on over the weekend or can't wait for the next challenge at work. 

"You've been drafted? No? Then shut the **** up, you have no stress!"
No, but say in college, when you whine about your whatever complaints while someone else in your study group is in ROTC and due to get sent to Iraq, it puts things in perspective and you don't really care about their exaggerated drama.

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2018, 10:40:07 AM »

Totally not to study as university students at good universities and then are either your boss here or have your job back home. While you went out and played, Minsu made hay.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2008/10/117_32124.html
Forty-four percent of Korean students at top American universities give up their studies halfway through....

such a high dropout rate is largely attributable to Korean parents forcing their children to study rather than participate in extracurricular activities, an essential part of overseas education for foreign students to acclimate themselves to American society and get a good job in the long run.

making hay

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2018, 10:42:06 AM »

FTFY

Yeah, most Koreans immigrate to clean toilets.  :rolleyes:

(Note this doesn't apply to everyone here- plenty are just here for a gap year or two or whatever or have genuine interest in visiting and exploring Asia)

But for the people that constantly complain about Korea, but don't leave because they can't get a job back home, yeah that's you. Guess you should have studied a bit more.

The point is we had the choice to teach kids abroad (something a lot of Koreans would love to be able to do)

That owes more to having the good fortune to being born in an English speaking country.

So then why does Korea consitently come near top in unhappiest people studies? Because they like to moan? If this was another thread you would be fighting tooth and nail against that implication. But now you are just trying to wave off all the "Hell Joseon" stuff as Koreans just complaining too much. Which is it?

Well for starters a lot of those studies have come into question both for respondents in western countries overstating their happiness (an expectation) and respondents in other cultures de-emphasizing happiness or having different concepts of happiness. For example, in many cultures religious piety, duty, family obligation, etc. have greater emphasis than simple happiness. Indeed, some cultures may view the pursuit of happiness above all as naive or juvenile at best, sinful or hedonistic or decadent at worst.

Leaving that aside, I'm simply going with what most people say here- Koreans like to moan. Having known A LOT of Koreans back home, reactions varied. Some like America, some wanted to go back to Korea. Some who had never been to Korea loved it more when they visited/moved, some didn't like it at all. Some people like both places. And some people would complain no matter where they are.

Regardless, I think "Hell Joseon" is a bunch of hyperbolic crap too. Unless you're a 3D worker or single mother working 2 jobs or some 80 year old granny hauling cardboard, meh. Like I said, boo frickin hoo you have to stay till 8 while surfing Naver. Oh my goodness you have to do the work your boss says because he's the boss. Oh my goodness there's traffic.

Yeah, those people are eff ups except for the small percentage of them that are driven perfectionists or some such.

Some people look for things to be angry about. Others make plans for 5:01 to go and find something fun and think about what fun project they're going to work on over the weekend or can't wait for the next challenge at work. 

"You've been drafted? No? Then shut the **** up, you have no stress!"
No, but say in college, when you whine about your whatever complaints while someone else in your study group is in ROTC and due to get sent to Iraq, it puts things in perspective and you don't really care about their exaggerated drama.

You're kind of missing the point, maybe deliberately. Which is that we're not comparing Minsu who studied hard at university and now has a high powered job with people on here who didn't and now teach EFL. You could just as easily compare a Western guy who studied hard and now has a high powered job with those on here who didn't and teach EFL. The point is kids in Korea in general spend much more of their free time being forced to study compared to kids in the West. A few of those kids will get high powered jobs with international companies while most will get mundane jobs and some will even, the horror of it, end up being the Korean equivalent of TEFL teachers. 

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2018, 10:44:32 AM »
it must be exhausting being Mr.DeMartino

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2018, 10:45:24 AM »

But not stressful

Offline SteveBruce

• Veteran
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2018, 10:48:40 AM »

But not stressful

Only for his old man. Because he went to 'Nam

Offline AnnaW

• Adventurer
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2018, 10:49:07 AM »
At this point I am getting really angry.
I have a masters degree in TESOL. Stop sitting here and saying that my Major is a joke and that I didn't try hard in school.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2018, 10:53:03 AM »

Again, so childish and overly simplistic.
You sound like the kind of person who would say "Toughen up" to someone who is suffering from depression.

Like so many topics here, when you speak about these things you sound like a pretend, mish mash of movie/tv tropes, made up psuedo tough guy bollocks.

Stern but fair. Common sense. Let the kids run wild and free. This is why Trump won. You can't complain you aren't facing imminent danger or poverty. Drinking cliche. Safe spaces have made us weak.... It's like the starter pack  for the Republican voting mid-westener, who has never had more than 30 seconds of self-reflection in his life.

What's the bet you weigh like 115 pounds, are 5'6 and were bullied relentlessly at school. Which is fine. But for the love of God, drop the "old man. common sense, we didnt wear seat belts" character. Please.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2018, 10:58:31 AM »
Koreans are some of the most highly educated people in the world, but there aren't many jobs. You've got university graduates lining up to be janitors as it's a stable job.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20170615000890

It's stupid to say that just because you study all of your life, you're going to get a good job in Korea. Those days are long long gone. Why are so many Koreans trying to get out of dodge? There aren't many opportunites for them here. Too many uni graduates, too much competition, not enough jobs.

Studying their little lives away, having no childhood, no enjoyment, unable to travel abroad even as a middle school student because their parents make them study, and then to find themselves living with their parents in their late 20s, jobless, penniless while Josh from the States, armed with his useless BA is out partying with K-girls with his free apartment, ability to travel abroad and fly home for free ....now that's gotta hurt.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 11:02:55 AM by CJ »

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2018, 11:10:25 AM »
Korrans thrive on "stress." It makes them feel important and busy.

People in the West do similar things, whining about stress and busyness because it makes them seem more important, but you don't have kids conflating staring at a book with "studying," or employees sleeping at a desk with "I'm so busy."
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.