March 25, 2019, 01:33:48 AM

Author Topic: Why is Korea so stressful?  (Read 18368 times)

Online msession1992

• Explorer
Re: Why is Korea so stressful?
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2018, 12:16:31 PM »
I am experiencing a lot of stress here. I don't think Korea is the culprit of my stress but it isn't helping. For myself it's more like I am stressed in Korea vs Korea is stressful.

1st of all I am fresh out of university more or less. 23 when I graduated & started my job. I am 1 year & 4 months into my Public School job (middle school). I finished university & started work in Korea. I could've taught ESL in the US with the company I did an internship with but I am really trying to get financially stable. Paying my student loans on top of rent, needing a car to get around in the US, health care deducatbles & all of the other things that come with adulting in the US, I'd be struggling to stay afloat.  I studied Applied Linguistics & my professor thought it would be a good idea to work here to save money, pay loans, & see if I truly like teaching. I went through with it & here we are & I hate to say it but I don't like it here.

While I went straight from Uni to Korea, I have been around. I've been to France, Croatia, Mexico, & Quebec, Canada before coming to Korea. I wouldn't consider myself a backpack style traveler. I've spent 3 months in each of these countries & to get a proper feel because I won't know if I really liked something if I've only been there for a a week max. So going from those places to here is very different. I learned a valuable lesson that vacationing somewhere is different from actually working & that makes me sad. & I'm doing the SAME thing I'd be doing but instead of working for Uncle Sam I'm working for Uncle Kim. I thought it'd be more glamourous I can't lie. My friends think I have it made but I'm like I have a 9-5 just like you only I'm in a different country. Don't get me wrong I enjoy my coworkers, my kids, & teaching in general but not a huge fan of the way things are done here work-wise.

My money situation also stresses me out. I came to Korea with 27K in student loan debts. I know many people who don't care about debts but its hard for me to sleep at night knowing I owe someone that much money. It so uncomfortable. I got them down to 19K at this point. I could've done better but I traveled to Thailand, went to Seoul a lot & did shopping trips. I like that we have enough money to pay things off while enjoying life somewhat. If I wanted to live like that in the US I would've had to supplement with an AMEX or Discover card. But I want this debt gone fairly quickly. Paid by the end of my 3rd year so I had to cut back on some expenses. No vacations & only going to Seoul once a month for parties, only buying necessary things. So far so good. But being frugal makes it more annoying.

Also being sober from weed is kinda driving me mad. I have anxiety. Well the doctor said I did. I was prescribed meds in the US but nothing really worked. Its like I was a zombie & overall felt worse. Once it got to the point where the doctor wanted to prescribe me Xanax, I was like no thanks, I'll just smoke weed. I was very productive handled my stresses well & didnt feel like a zombie. I'm not a drinker I feel like alcohol brings me down & makes me even more depressed. When everyone goes out drinking I have a good time with my water but sometimes I'm like Lord if I had a blunt this would be intergallactic. So battling sobriety is ****** hard & creates a stress all on its own. I just listen to Chief Kief "I hate being sober" in my apartment & rage out & then have a good laugh at myself.

I honestly feel like I brought my stress with me to Korea. I feel like I would've experienced stress anywhere I went to be honest. The phrase "Where ever you go, there you are" is my life motto. Even if I was in 420 friendly America. I'd say there are little microaggressions of the job like desk warming, no requested off days, taking a vacation on the days that your boss approves, not the days you actually want, lack of preparedness, last minute things, failure to let me know important things like updating my ARC. I just feel like those are triggers for what I already have inside. I see my coworkers cope with their stress & it either inspires me or worries me. It is rather annoying though & some days I feel like I'm sitting on a chair full of needles. But this experience is very real & true. The uncomfort has really lit a fire under my ass to get things done quickly.

I plan on going back to the US because I can't get jiggy with it here. The devil you know vs the devil you don't! I'd love to visit Korea after leaving but working here ever again, oh no. I feel like I will feel stress when I return because there is readjusting. However, my financial situation will be a lot better. Sure I'd only make 50K as a Middle School English teacher but with no debt & savings I should live quite comfortably (I live in the South so that's a lot of money down there lol). I'm doing the GATAPP alternative teaching program. I'll recieve a nonrenewable license & will be eligible for a permanent license in 3 years. Once I'm legit certified I can try for international schools, if working abroad is something I want to do ever again.

I am very stressed but living in Korea has taught me how to become 1 with it & cope in healthy ways.

Have you noticed that your way of having fun and relieving your stress involves spending a lot of money which increases your stress about debt? Simple lifestyle changes toward non-monetary ways of having fun (even just temporarily) could alleviate both problems.

Example: I had a friend similar to yourself. My friend got a cheap gym membership, exercised regularly for a year, got in great shape, stopped drinking in Seoul, didn't travel and now looks and feels great and has paid off a lot of debt.

I'm happy about your friends results. When I was making these decisions for the lifestyle change, I honestly felt that I would miss out on so much if I made similar changes, but she came out on top. 1 year shouldn't kill me.

That's why I said I brought my stress with me in the OP. I think I did mediocre last year with paying debt. Not awful but not great. I mentioned in my OP that I came here with 27K & at this point I'm at 19K. In 16 months I paid $8,000. I had only been sending 1/3 of my pay back home so I can travel & go out. Most ppl I've talked to can send a least half back & still live comfortably. I'm at 2.5 m krw this year & used my holiday money for January & sent 1.5 m. That is about $1300. That still leaves me with at least 800-900K won a month, which I think is livable. I want to do this every month so that in January 2019 that'll be $15,600 that I've paid. Leaving me with only $3400 in debt. I mentioned in the OP that I don't drink alcohol, but skipping holiday & going to Seoul less for parties has freed up a lot of money.

Online msession1992

• Explorer
« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2018, 12:41:27 PM »
All paid for with cash from jobs I've worked in the pizza industry,

You worked pizza and didn't spend all of your money on weed, beer, and scratch & wins? Wow.

You hit the nail on the head! If you have money for this, you should have it for that. Priorities matter, for sure. That's why I said I caused my own stress & Korea isn't the reason. Which is why I shared my input. 2. I don't drink, haven't in 5 years. I mentioned that in the OP & am experiencing sobriety. If I did fancy drinking the way I did weed in the States I wouldn't have paid my loans down 8K. Sobriety has freed up money, but not enough. Holidays are up next!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2018, 12:53:46 PM »
@Msession1992

Just wanted to say, don't allow others to make you feel even slightly bad for daring to enjoy life a little while being responsible about whittling down your debt.

I could have knocked mine out sooner but chose to moderately indulge in traveling and fun times. People can prioritize however they like but I will never understand how some seem to want everyone else to have the exact same ranking of priorities.

Anyway, in my opinion moderation is always key. No need to obsessively be frugal and deny even the smallest pleasures. We could be snuffed out at any point in time. But also unwise is the other extreme of the spectrum; anything could happen, so it's best to try and prepare for the possible future.

Cheers~

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2018, 01:03:35 PM »
You hit the nail on the head! If you have money for this, you should have it for that. Priorities matter, for sure. That's why I said I caused my own stress & Korea isn't the reason. Which is why I shared my input. 2. I don't drink, haven't in 5 years. I mentioned that in the OP & am experiencing sobriety. If I did fancy drinking the way I did weed in the States I wouldn't have paid my loans down 8K. Sobriety has freed up money, but not enough. Holidays are up next!

For a job where you get enough money in your pocket everyday for food+smokes+weed+gas+bar tab with a check that comes on payday good enough to pay the bills, it's amazing how much money disappears when working pizza. Good on you for being able to do what you had to do in coming over here and trimming that debt down!

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2018, 02:19:29 PM »
I am experiencing a lot of stress here. I don't think Korea is the culprit of my stress but it isn't helping. For myself it's more like I am stressed in Korea vs Korea is stressful.

1st of all I am fresh out of university more or less. 23 when I graduated & started my job. I am 1 year & 4 months into my Public School job (middle school). I finished university & started work in Korea. I could've taught ESL in the US with the company I did an internship with but I am really trying to get financially stable. Paying my student loans on top of rent, needing a car to get around in the US, health care deducatbles & all of the other things that come with adulting in the US, I'd be struggling to stay afloat.  I studied Applied Linguistics & my professor thought it would be a good idea to work here to save money, pay loans, & see if I truly like teaching. I went through with it & here we are & I hate to say it but I don't like it here.

While I went straight from Uni to Korea, I have been around. I've been to France, Croatia, Mexico, & Quebec, Canada before coming to Korea. I wouldn't consider myself a backpack style traveler. I've spent 3 months in each of these countries & to get a proper feel because I won't know if I really liked something if I've only been there for a a week max. So going from those places to here is very different. I learned a valuable lesson that vacationing somewhere is different from actually working & that makes me sad. & I'm doing the SAME thing I'd be doing but instead of working for Uncle Sam I'm working for Uncle Kim. I thought it'd be more glamourous I can't lie. My friends think I have it made but I'm like I have a 9-5 just like you only I'm in a different country. Don't get me wrong I enjoy my coworkers, my kids, & teaching in general but not a huge fan of the way things are done here work-wise.

My money situation also stresses me out. I came to Korea with 27K in student loan debts. I know many people who don't care about debts but its hard for me to sleep at night knowing I owe someone that much money. It so uncomfortable. I got them down to 19K at this point. I could've done better but I traveled to Thailand, went to Seoul a lot & did shopping trips. I like that we have enough money to pay things off while enjoying life somewhat. If I wanted to live like that in the US I would've had to supplement with an AMEX or Discover card. But I want this debt gone fairly quickly. Paid by the end of my 3rd year so I had to cut back on some expenses. No vacations & only going to Seoul once a month for parties, only buying necessary things. So far so good. But being frugal makes it more annoying.

Also being sober from weed is kinda driving me mad. I have anxiety. Well the doctor said I did. I was prescribed meds in the US but nothing really worked. Its like I was a zombie & overall felt worse. Once it got to the point where the doctor wanted to prescribe me Xanax, I was like no thanks, I'll just smoke weed. I was very productive handled my stresses well & didnt feel like a zombie. I'm not a drinker I feel like alcohol brings me down & makes me even more depressed. When everyone goes out drinking I have a good time with my water but sometimes I'm like Lord if I had a blunt this would be intergallactic. So battling sobriety is ****** hard & creates a stress all on its own. I just listen to Chief Kief "I hate being sober" in my apartment & rage out & then have a good laugh at myself.

I honestly feel like I brought my stress with me to Korea. I feel like I would've experienced stress anywhere I went to be honest. The phrase "Where ever you go, there you are" is my life motto. Even if I was in 420 friendly America. I'd say there are little microaggressions of the job like desk warming, no requested off days, taking a vacation on the days that your boss approves, not the days you actually want, lack of preparedness, last minute things, failure to let me know important things like updating my ARC. I just feel like those are triggers for what I already have inside. I see my coworkers cope with their stress & it either inspires me or worries me. It is rather annoying though & some days I feel like I'm sitting on a chair full of needles. But this experience is very real & true. The uncomfort has really lit a fire under my ass to get things done quickly.

I plan on going back to the US because I can't get jiggy with it here. The devil you know vs the devil you don't! I'd love to visit Korea after leaving but working here ever again, oh no. I feel like I will feel stress when I return because there is readjusting. However, my financial situation will be a lot better. Sure I'd only make 50K as a Middle School English teacher but with no debt & savings I should live quite comfortably (I live in the South so that's a lot of money down there lol). I'm doing the GATAPP alternative teaching program. I'll recieve a nonrenewable license & will be eligible for a permanent license in 3 years. Once I'm legit certified I can try for international schools, if working abroad is something I want to do ever again.

I am very stressed but living in Korea has taught me how to become 1 with it & cope in healthy ways.

So you went on holiday for a whole year and now you're stressed about how much money you owe? Could you not have paid off your student debts with the money you spent vacationing?
These are vacations taken over a 5 year period. Not 1 year straight. You know when you have summer breaks in between semesters. I should've clarified that in the OP. My fault. All paid for with cash from jobs I've worked in the pizza industry, as all of my loan money went towards school. I never got any extra money back. I did pay some of the debts while in school during the 5 years, on the ones where the interest wasn't subsidized by the Government. But I feel what you are saying, hindsight is 20/20. All of my debt is strictly student loans.  No credit cards. I'm stressing bc I'm trying to pay them back in 3 years instead of the standard 10. Which my friends think I'm delusional for even attempting LOL. If I did the 10 year plan it would be less stressful but a lot can happen in that time frame.
That's a lotta dough.

Offline alexkarpicke

• Waygookin
« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2018, 10:17:44 PM »
Everywhere is stressful, though potentially, less time in taken here to actively manage and minimize stress.

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2018, 08:54:48 AM »
I have a mate who stayed 9 years in the same elem school, but that isn't normal at all.

Thats nothing, I know people who have stayed in the same job in the US for 20+ years. In the same town.

Yeah, but how about Korea?

Strange how you think if a person stays in their home country for 20 years then they're a success.. but if they stay in Korea that long they're a loser.
Catch my drift?

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2018, 09:14:13 AM »
I have a mate who stayed 9 years in the same elem school, but that isn't normal at all.

Thats nothing, I know people who have stayed in the same job in the US for 20+ years. In the same town.

Strange how you think if a person stays in their home country for 20 years then they're a success.. but if they stay in Korea that long they're a loser.

Given the context is Korea, I mentioned that a friend stayed nearly 9 years in the same school in Korea. Then you come along and say that you know someone in the US has stayed much longer than that. Relevance?

How long a person stays in their home country is irrelevant. Sorry. Where did I mention loser? Perhaps that's your own insecurities rising to the surface.

Let me break it down for you.

Staying at the one school for 9 years in the NET scheme shows a severe lack of ambition. Sorry to break it to you. You're not employed as a licensed teacher here, you're a side show. I simply don't care if you do most of the work in class, you're accountable for pretty much zero apart from having to be on time. You max out at 2.7 million after only a few years. When you go back to your home country, you're flipping burgers. You're not going to just walk into an easy teaching job, free accommodation and an easy life. Things are being scaled down here due to budget shortages. When you get the flick, what compensation will you expect? Don't hold your breath. You're on a one year contract.

Working as a teacher back home is called a "career". There's a massive difference. One requires years of study and practical teaching practice, the other requires a degree in anything and being a native speaker of English. You simply can't compare the two unless you have a loose grip on reality.

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2018, 02:11:04 PM »

Given the context is Korea, I mentioned that a friend stayed nearly 9 years in the same school in Korea. Then you come along and say that you know someone in the US has stayed much longer than that. Relevance?

How long a person stays in their home country is irrelevant. Sorry. Where did I mention loser? Perhaps that's your own insecurities rising to the surface.

Staying at the one school for 9 years in the NET scheme shows a severe lack of ambition. Sorry to break it to you. You're not employed as a licensed teacher here, you're a side show. I simply don't care if you do most of the work in class, you're accountable for pretty much zero apart from having to be on time. You max out at 2.7 million after only a few years. When you go back to your home country, you're flipping burgers. You're not going to just walk into an easy teaching job, free accommodation and an easy life. Things are being scaled down here due to budget shortages. When you get the flick, what compensation will you expect? Don't hold your breath. You're on a one year contract.

Working as a teacher back home is called a "career". There's a massive difference. One requires years of study and practical teaching practice, the other requires a degree in anything and being a native speaker of English. You simply can't compare the two unless you have a loose grip on reality.

You seem quite uptight and obnoxious, like a typical north american beta male, but lets go through this.

1. Not everyone is 'ambitious' by your definition, nor should they necessarily be. Half the worlds problems are caused by the 'ambitious' and uptight.. as opposed to the content and happy. Try not to judge others: not everyone is the same and you don't know their situation. How is it your business if someone stays at the same school if they're happy with it? Just you do you.

2. Not everyone goes back to their home country. Maybe that is your plan. I wouldn't assume it to be everyones plan. You're assuming everyone is from north america, has a happy family and secure set up and future etc. Try not to assume, with your adolescent mindset. In any case many expats like Korea and settle here. In which case staying in the same job is not a bad option.

3. Working as a teacher in the west has become a tortuous job that nobody in their right mind pursues, due to the loony liberals systematic destruction of the education system.

Catch my drift?

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2018, 03:10:11 PM »
Working as a teacher in the west has become a tortuous job that nobody in their right mind pursues, due to the loony liberals systematic destruction of the education system.

Western teachers I've talked to working in high income areas or the countryside for the most part said they enjoy their job; those in lower income inner city areas report higher levels of student misbehavior. So I guess, depends.

Offline Ivan

• Waygookin
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2018, 07:22:10 PM »
Do a survey. You think Westerners come here by choice? 95% of the ones you meet now (not in the past) are here for 1 thing only, financial gain. If they were given a choice to live somewhere else with the same or better financial gain/security, they would in a heartbeat. Ask Koreans about an opportunity to live in another country..........yes, they would, in a heartbeat (most). There is youtube video with someone asking strangers this question.

There is a big difference with a Westerner in their 20's vs. 30's. What do you think MOST Westerners in their 30's would say about Korea............it sucks for them, in many ways.

Imagine the comfort one gets living in a house with a second floor, a separate kitchen, and backyard. Try living in an apartment for too long, it sucks,plain and simple.......saying things can always be worse does NOT mean the current situation isn't desirable, for a Westerner.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2018, 07:39:54 PM »

Imagine the comfort one gets living in a house with a second floor, a separate kitchen, and backyard. Try living in an apartment for too long, it sucks,plain and simple.......saying things can always be worse does NOT mean the current situation isn't desirable, for a Westerner.

Most Americans currently under the age of 40 will never attain this either. Even small apartments are getting too expensive.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2018, 08:14:38 PM »
New US homes today are 1,000 square feet larger than in 1973 and living space per person has nearly doubled.

http://www.aei.org/publication/new-us-homes-today-are-1000-square-feet-larger-than-in-1973-and-living-space-per-person-has-nearly-doubled/

The inflation-adjusted price per square foot for new houses has been relatively stable since 1973.

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2018, 08:45:23 PM »

Most Americans currently under the age of 40 will never attain this either. Even small apartments are getting too expensive.
Some Americans, sure, but most Americans, very, very doubtful. You're talking about the collapse of an entire industry--ain't gonna happen.

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2018, 08:48:32 AM »

You seem quite uptight and obnoxious, like a typical north american beta male, but lets go through this.
I'm English. Beta male? That's such a cliche these days. I doubt even a beta male would have any interest in you.  Pot calling the kettle black when it comes to uptight. Pretty much every one of your posts is a cry for help

1. Not everyone is 'ambitious' by your definition, nor should they necessarily be. Half the worlds problems are caused by the 'ambitious' and uptight.. as opposed to the content and happy. Try not to judge others: not everyone is the same and you don't know their situation. How is it your business if someone stays at the same school if they're happy with it? Just you do you.
Your posting history clearly illustrates that you're not content or happy. More like trapped and depressed. There there, it's not so bad. 

2. Not everyone goes back to their home country. Maybe that is your plan. I wouldn't assume it to be everyones plan. You're assuming everyone is from north america, has a happy family and secure set up and future etc. Try not to assume, with your adolescent mindset. In any case many expats like Korea and settle here. In which case staying in the same job is not a bad option.

What? I'm not assuming anyone is from North America. How did you dream that up? The NET scheme is for glorified backpackers. Wake up. People are on a one year contract and your job security depends on how well you play a certain game here. The cutbacks will continue. Have fun sticking your head in the sand like so many others here.

3. Working as a teacher in the west has become a tortuous job that nobody in their right mind pursues, due to the loony liberals systematic destruction of the education system.

Are you a qualified teacher?  Have you taught in an American school?  Don't equate being an EFL teacher in Korea to a qualified elementary teacher or high school teacher in the West. That would be daft, even for you.
[/b]

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2018, 08:53:37 AM »
The irony is, Cyanea is the one who started this post "why is Korea so stressful", and now she's defending being here. Talk about being unhinged.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2018, 09:40:46 AM »

Yeah, I don't know how people in NYC, Chicago, London, Paris, etc. manage to survive living in an apartment and not some subdivision cookie-cutter house.  :rolleyes:

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2018, 09:47:55 AM »

What? I'm not assuming anyone is from North America. How did you dream that up? The NET scheme is for glorified backpackers. Wake up. People are on a one year contract and your job security depends on how well you play a certain game here. The cutbacks will continue. Have fun sticking your head in the sand like so many others here.

While I agree with the basic premise of your post, a lot of the Koreans you work with are on the same one year contract. I'd say 50% of the total workers at my institution are on yearly contracts. Even the head of my department. It was one of the big issues in the previous election. Moon promising to try to redress the imbalance of permanent and contract workers in many industries.
The sad thing is that when many of us go home we will also be faced with renewable contracts. It is the direction most of the world is moving in. And it's shit.

And I wouldn't be holding on to hope too tightly if you are a "real" teacher. For the past 18 months I've been fielding reference requests from UK education recruitment agencies for an ex-coworker. He is, as he puts it, stuck in supply teaching hell. And he is a qualified, UK expereiced teacher. Conditions are fewer fewer, lower paid and generally worse then when he orginally left in 2010.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2018, 10:35:22 AM »
Is it because Korean English teaching as a ‘teaching assistant’ is not well regarded and thus he is stuck with below average opportunities? I heard this is the case; hopefully it’s not. Hopefully employers look favorably upon English teaching experience in Korea. Because age can be a disadvantage sadly.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2018, 10:44:27 AM »
And I wouldn't be holding on to hope too tightly if you are a "real" teacher. For the past 18 months I've been fielding reference requests from UK education recruitment agencies for an ex-coworker. He is, as he puts it, stuck in supply teaching hell. And he is a qualified, UK expereiced teacher. Conditions are fewer fewer, lower paid and generally worse then when he orginally left in 2010.

Strange, that's not what you hear from the media. Maybe your guy is in a very specialist field.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/uk-teaching-vacancies-rise-quarter-2015-classes-schools-pupils-a7930856.html