January 21, 2019, 09:20:38 PM

Author Topic: Why is Korea so stressful?  (Read 15924 times)

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
Why is Korea so stressful?
« on: January 05, 2018, 12:20:26 AM »

Its hard to understand why living in a country with all modern conveniences is so stressful?

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 12:29:06 AM by Cyanea »
Catch my drift?

Offline obwannabe

• Veteran
Re: Why is Korea so stressful?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 01:27:37 AM »
You stressed bro?
Life is good here. Soak it in.

Offline jeffmc40

• Waygookin
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 01:31:42 AM »
Because everything is left until the last minute and then needlessly rushed. I can't count how many times I have had classes cancelled or added, teachers not coming to class or test changes minutes before they happen. This is fine and I know it happens but most of the time they knew ahead of time but didn't bother to plan more than 5 minutes before it happened and then ran around insane. Every semester the first week is a shit show of trying to make classes work and there are scheduling disasters even after 2 months of time to prep it.

Offline raysmith

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 06:05:08 AM »
Because everything is left until the last minute and then needlessly rushed. I can't count how many times I have had classes cancelled or added, teachers not coming to class or test changes minutes before they happen. This is fine and I know it happens but most of the time they knew ahead of time but didn't bother to plan more than 5 minutes before it happened and then ran around insane. Every semester the first week is a shit show of trying to make classes work and there are scheduling disasters even after 2 months of time to prep it.

Agreed.  The 'last minute' nature of things is sometimes challenging to deal with.

On several occasions I found out important information about things happening at my hagwon via my students. e.g upcoming three day holiday periods. 

One funny occasion occurred when I began teaching a class at the normal start time.  This little child kept pointing at the clock.  I had no idea what she was talking about.  She then ran out of the classroom.  Moments later the Principal appeared to tell me that the start time for this particular lesson had been put back by half an hour.  Everyone (including the students) knew except me.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 07:06:52 AM »
This place is cake. If you think this is stress, you don't know stress.

Offline zola

• The Legend
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 07:59:55 AM »

I don't know. I don't find it particularly stressful, but Korea does seem to top a lot lists of most miserable perople, most stressed children, unhappiest people, type things. Young people refer to their own country as "hell".

Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline puregreentea

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 08:11:50 AM »
Try living and being a teacher in England. Different level of stress.

I feel much more relaxed here which in turn has improved my overall health. 

Offline SteveBruce

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 08:16:34 AM »

I don't know. I don't find it particularly stressful, but Korea does seem to top a lot lists of most miserable perople, most stressed children, unhappiest people, type things. Young people refer to their own country as "hell".

I was gonna say something similar. Korea isn't stressful if you're an ESL teacher. Sure there are several annoyances which we all know of, but nothing which one could consider "stress." However from my observations, Korea is certainly a very stressful place for its people. The tragic thing is that most of this stress is self perpetuated, unnecessary stress.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 08:19:29 AM »

Koreans also moan when it drops below 10 degrees and declare it subarctic. Even in Korean living this place is cake.

You want stress? Work 2 full-times while being a single mother. Spend 8 years in prison. Work some 3D job that puts you an inch away from death 8 hours a day. Dodge torpedoes in the North Atlantic or storm Okinawa. Spend 12 hours a day in subsistence farming.

"Oh woe is me I have to work till 8 filing paperwork." "Woe is me I have to prepare food for the family and suck up to mother-in-law on Chuseok" "Woe is me someone bumped me on the subway and my coteacher told me I have to deskwarm."
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 08:21:57 AM by Mr.DeMartino »

Offline eastcoast

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 08:25:16 AM »
I am one of those who feels very little stress here as well. Of course, I have a cake job with almost no oversight. I can see the sullen looks on Korean and foreign faces alike when out for a walk or doing some shopping. It must be the split shifts at hagwons or long hours in Korean companies. Of course, I too complain about the dust and how it affects my overall health.

Offline SteveBruce

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 08:26:16 AM »

Koreans also moan when it drops below 10 degrees and declare it subarctic. Even in Korean living this place is cake.

You want stress? Work 2 full-times while being a single mother. Spend 8 years in prison. Work some 3D job that puts you an inch away from death 8 hours a day. Dodge torpedoes in the North Atlantic or storm Okinawa. Spend 12 hours a day in subsistence farming.

"Oh woes is me I have to work till 8 filing paperwork." "Woe is me I have to prepare food for the family and suck up to mother-in-law on Chuseok" "Woe is me someone bumped me on the subway and my coteacher told me I have to deskwarm."

Mate, re-read that again. Do you know how utterly ridiculous you sound? I just read your post in the mining thread and your post was lucid, coherent and well argued. Then you come here and equate stress to dodging torpedoes in Okinawa? Do you have any idea how absurd that sounds? The most ridiculous thing is that your argument, if one can call it an argument, works the same way against you.

"You work 2 full times being a single mother? meh thats nothing lol. I work 2 full times as a single mother and one of my kids has leukemia"

"Dodge torpedoes? Thats nothing lol, our building got shelled and I was the only one who survived out of my team. Lost my arm mind you."

In addition, there is a difference between "annoyance" and "stress." One can be annoyed they have to deskwarm but I don't think anyone is losing any sleep over it.

Offline zola

• The Legend
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 08:33:48 AM »

Comparing warfare, prison lags or life threatening jobs to living in a modern society is a tad silly.

Stress in the modern context doesnt have to involve real danger, back breaking work or whatever other extreme example you want to throw up. That's why it's so pervasive and hard to deal with. Some would say it's the unnatural situations we have put ourselves in of living aorund constant noise and stimulation, long periods of not moving, often looking at a screen under artificial light. The dangled carrot of impossible expectations. Disconnected familial relations, alienation from the labour process and often from real meaningful human relationships, growing incertainty overthe future, insecure labour market etc etc. It's not like there is a lack of academic research on the subject. Either way, Korea ticks a lot of those boxes. But then, so do most developed nations.

Obviously if I'm running into battle, trying to retake Guadalcanal, doing deep sea diving repairs on an oil rig in the north sea or worried that my cell mate is going to either shiv me or **** me, yeah i'll be running some pretty high levels of stress. But luckily, or not, most of us and most people we know, will  never be in those situations.

I left out solo mum, because yes absolutely, that is incredibly stressful. Nice, that your republicans have made it progressively more difficult for her with each passing year.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 08:37:25 AM »

"Oh woes is me I have to work till 8 filing paperwork." "Woe is me I have to prepare food for the family and suck up to mother-in-law on Chuseok" "Woe is me someone bumped me on the subway and my coteacher told me I have to deskwarm."

Mate, re-read that again. Do you know how utterly ridiculous you sound? I just read your post in the mining thread and your post was lucid, coherent and well argued. Then you come here and equate stress to dodging torpedoes in Okinawa? Do you have any idea how absurd that sounds? The most ridiculous thing is that your argument, if one can call it an argument, works the same way against you.

"You work 2 full times being a single mother? meh thats nothing lol. I work 2 full times as a single mother and one of my kids has leukemia"

"Dodge torpedoes? Thats nothing lol, our building got shelled and I was the only one who survived out of my team. Lost my arm mind you."

In addition, there is a difference between "annoyance" and "stress." One can be annoyed they have to deskwarm but I don't think anyone is losing any sleep over it.

I disagree. At some point you have to tell people to quit moaning and buck up and stop turning stuff here that is momentary annoyance at best into some sort of crucible.

My dad was drafted during Nam.THAT is stress. What am I supposed to say to him? "Oh dad my life is so stressful. I had to stay an extra 30  minutes grading tests and at dinner some guy was slurping." If I ever whined like that my dad would tell me about the day he was told "Join the army or go to jail". Or starting his own business from scratch. Or my grandfather dodging Japanese dive bombers in the South Pacific.

If you want to play the victim and declare a week of deskwarming to be stressful be my guest but don't expect my to sympathize.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 08:42:33 AM »

Comparing warfare, prison lags or life threatening jobs to living in a modern society is a tad silly.

Stress in the modern context doesnt have to involve real danger, back breaking work or whatever other extreme example you want to throw up. That's why it's so pervasive and hard to deal with. Some would say it's the unnatural situations we have put ourselves in of living aorund constant noise and stimulation, long periods of not moving, often looking at a screen under artificial light. The dangled carrot of impossible expectations. Disconnected familial relations, alienation from the labour process and often from real meaningful human relationships, growing incertainty overthe future, insecure labour market etc etc. It's not like there is a lack of academic research on the subject. Either way, Korea ticks a lot of those boxes. But then, so do most developed nations.

Obviously if I'm running into battle, trying to retake Guadalcanal, doing deep sea diving repairs on an oil rig in the north sea or worried that my cell mate is going to either shiv me or **** me, yeah i'll be running some pretty high levels of stress. But luckily, or not, most of us and most people we know, will  never be in those situations.

I left out solo mum, because yes absolutely, that is incredibly stressful. Nice, that your republicans have made it progressively more difficult for her with each passing year.

Dude, you realize there's U.S. military personnel and Korean military personnel here who deal with much worse than that at work and don't co.plain nearly as much, right?

Although kindergarten/preschool teachers might get a pass. 12 crying and pooping kids IS stress.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 08:46:01 AM »
"Oh woe is me I have to work till 8 filing paperwork." "Woe is me I have to prepare food for the family and suck up to mother-in-law on Chuseok" "Woe is me someone bumped me on the subway and my coteacher told me I have to deskwarm."

Who's talking here? Some weird Native Speaker Teacher Korean salaryman hybrid?

Dude, you realize there's U.S. military personnel and Korean military personnel here who deal with much worse than that at work and don't co.plain nearly as much, right?

It's a known fact that soldiers complain more than any other category of people. With good reason admittedly. 

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 08:49:23 AM »

Who's talking here? Some weird Native Speaker Teacher Korean salaryman hybrid?

It's a known fact that soldiers complain more than any other category of people. With good reason admittedly.

First one is a Korean salaryman, 2nd is a wige, 3rd NET.

Of course soldiers moan but most have the sense not to talk shop at the bar and let loose.

Offline bigfishlittlefish

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 08:50:33 AM »

I disagree. At some point you have to tell people to quit moaning and buck up and stop turning stuff here that is momentary annoyance at best into some sort of crucible.

My dad was drafted during Nam.THAT is stress. What am I supposed to say to him? "Oh dad my life is so stressful. I had to stay an extra 30  minutes grading tests and at dinner some guy was slurping." If I ever whined like that my dad would tell me about the day he was told "Join the army or go to jail". Or starting his own business from scratch. Or my grandfather dodging Japanese dive bombers in the South Pacific.

If you want to play the victim and declare a week of deskwarming to be stressful be my guest but don't expect my to sympathize.

"Join the army or go to jail" you think that's stress? try WW1's get killed by the enemy, or killed by your own troops.
"dodging Japanese dive bombers in the South Pacific" you think that's stress? try being the poor sod that has to hit your wriggly grandfather, and the shame when he doesn't.
"starting his own business from scratch" you think that's stress? try starting your own business whilst working 2 jobs as a single mother.

Well Martin, you have some privilege there

Offline zola

• The Legend
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 08:51:47 AM »

Although kindergarten/preschool teachers might get a pass. 12 crying and pooping kids IS stress.

Why does everything come down to the military with Americans?

And from almost every American soldier i've talked to here, the one thing I've heard repeatedly: boredom. Which incidently is the same thing I hear from Korean guys who have done their service. Beyond the boot camp, the most difficult thing is how mind-numbingly boring conscription life is. And being cut off from friends and family. It's not as though they are charging the DMZ everyday.

No one is saying teachers are more stressed than other jobs. Korea can be stressful place to live. Accept it. Just because you are a pretend tough guy doesnt mean others have to share in the play acting.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline SteveBruce

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 08:53:40 AM »

Did you actually read either of my posts? I said there is a difference between annoyances and stress. Again, deskwarming is an annoyance, not a stress. Furthermore, I said Korea is guilty of culturally induced, self perpetuating stress on its people.

I know you will turn this around to mention the inner city, 4 guys rolling deep, getting involved in a drive by but... here we go.

Matt is 15 years old. He's just come back home from school and decides to crack on with his homework. He gets a text from his pal Billy. Billy is asking if Matt wants to come to the park with the rest of the boys and kick a ball around. This piece of homework isn't due until next Monday and the weather is nice out. Matt goes out and plays football. He comes back home and after dinner, kicks back and plays Call of Duty with his mates.

Minsu is 15 years old. He's just come back home from school and decides to crack on with his homework. He only has an hour or so until he has to go to his maths Hagwon. Minsu hates maths, he hates Hagwon. However, despite conclusive scientific research about how the brain absorbs information, his mother has forced him to go until 10pm. Once he finishes, he goes to the 7/11 to eat his dinner of cup ramen. While he eats this meal, which is his form of sustenance for the evening, he reflects upon his maths test tomorrow. If he doesn't get a high score he wont go to his chosen high school and will forever be seen as a disappointment and a failure. He doesn't even like maths. At 15 he is seriously considering killing himself.

(second story partially inspired by an observance I made from one of my own students)

The second example is what I mean of self perpetuated, unnecessary stress. The suicide rates don't lie. Its at such a high rate it should be seen as a national scandal.

Offline zola

• The Legend
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 08:54:29 AM »

"Join the army or go to jail" you think that's stress? try WW1's get killed by the enemy, or killed by your own troops.
"dodging Japanese dive bombers in the South Pacific" you think that's stress? try being the poor sod that has to hit your wriggly grandfather, and the shame when he doesn't.
"starting his own business from scratch" you think that's stress? try starting your own business whilst working 2 jobs as a single mother.

Well Martin, you have some privilege there

I reckon. Brings up his dad's military service in Vietnam. Come on mate. Vietnam was child's play. You think he was stressed? Piss off. I have an ancestor who was in Napolen's Grand Army that invaded Russia in 1812. 90% death rate. Now that's stress!
Kpip! - Martin 2018