June 22, 2018, 07:07:40 PM

Author Topic: Meet some victims of the Trump tax plan  (Read 1577 times)

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
Meet some victims of the Trump tax plan
« on: December 21, 2017, 12:40:06 PM »
Will Santa bring Donnie boy coal for lying about his tax reform?

Here's a sample:
The Pennsylvania surgeon. Brian, who also asked that we donít use his last name, talked with his accountant about how the new rules will affect him. ďIíll end up paying more in taxes because my taxable income will go up considerably,Ē the 51-year-old surgeon says.

Brianís practice is a pass-through business, which means he pays most of his income at individual tax rates. But since itís a service business, he wonít get the maximum benefit of a new tax-cut for pass-throughs. In 2016, he deducted about $32,000 in state and local taxes. That will now be capped at $10,000. His marginal tax rate could decline, but not enough to offset the loss in deductions.

Brian also worries that the new, lower limit on mortgage-interest deductibility could make it harder to sell his home, should he want to do that. The new law will limit the deductibility of interest to mortgages of no more than $750,000, which could affect the sale of his home in the future. Brian worries that potential buyers might exert pressure to lower the price from what it might otherwise be, in order to get the full benefit of the interest deduction.

ďI voted for Trump,Ē Brian says. ďClearly this law benefits him and all his friends in corporate America. But Iíll end up paying more in taxes. This has not left a pleasant taste in my mouth.Ē

Well, Brian your vote has come back to haunt you hasn't it? Let's hope you don't  make the same mistake twice.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/meet-victims-trump-tax-bill-180523129.html

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
Re: Meet some victims of the Trump tax plan
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 01:48:57 PM »
Again, dude, do you have to create a new thread for each "Trump story of the day"?

We have the Trump mega thread.

Offline Jon Dough

• Explorer
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 02:03:17 PM »

Here's a sample:
The Pennsylvania surgeon. Brian, who also asked that we donít use his last name, talked with his accountant about how the new rules will affect him. ďIíll end up paying more in taxes because my taxable income will go up considerably,Ē the 51-year-old surgeon says.

Brianís practice is a pass-through business, which means he pays most of his income at individual tax rates. But since itís a service business, he wonít get the maximum benefit of a new tax-cut for pass-throughs. In 2016, he deducted about $32,000 in state and local taxes. That will now be capped at $10,000. His marginal tax rate could decline, but not enough to offset the loss in deductions.

Brian also worries that the new, lower limit on mortgage-interest deductibility could make it harder to sell his home, should he want to do that. The new law will limit the deductibility of interest to mortgages of no more than $750,000, which could affect the sale of his home in the future. Brian worries that potential buyers might exert pressure to lower the price from what it might otherwise be, in order to get the full benefit of the interest deduction.

ďI voted for Trump,Ē Brian says. ďClearly this law benefits him and all his friends in corporate America. But Iíll end up paying more in taxes. This has not left a pleasant taste in my mouth.Ē

Well, Brian your vote has come back to haunt you hasn't it? Let's hope you don't  make the same mistake twice.

Sorry guy, there are no "victims" as a result of Trump's tax plan.   Try getting your news from something other than the Huffington Post.  And no, I don't watch Fox news.  But yes, I will vote for Trump (again).  Please stop spamming Waygook with all of your political rhetoric. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 02:14:58 PM by Jon Dough »

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 02:57:20 PM »
Again, dude, do you have to create a new thread for each "Trump story of the day"?

We have the Trump mega thread.
Things get lost in the impeach trump thread.

Do you own this website? Why so prickly, mr. pear?

How about a substantive reply? BTW, do you pay US taxes? To save you the problem of trying to turn the question back on me, yes I do.

Online plan b

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 03:20:55 PM »

Here's a sample:

Give it a rest for once..every day you put out a new thread with the same tired old topic...
"Trump is bad"
"Trump is this...Trump is that"
I've told you before..the demographics of this board lean towards more your side of politics, but give it a break. You sound like someone who is just coming on this board to stir things up, and argue your points...essentially a troll. You have lost credibility. You might be more comfortable on other message boards.. I recommend the The New York Times  and The Washington Post, but then I think you are looking for a fight more so than support for your positions.

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 03:49:48 PM »

Here's a sample:

Give it a rest for once..every day you put out a new thread with the same tired old topic...
"Trump is bad"
I've told you before..the demographics of this board lean towards more your side of politics, but give it a break. You sound like someone who is just coming on this board to stir things up, and argue your points...essentially a troll. You have lost credibility. You might be more comfortable on other message boards.. I recommend the The New York Times  and The Washington Post, but then I think you are looking for a fight more so than support for your positions.
I'm looking to educate.

I extend to you the same advice I did to sr/dm--if you don't like my posts, move along.

Better yet, start your own thread on a topic that you find "credible." Otherwise, at least from your point of view, you're part of the problem.

Online StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 05:08:17 PM »
There are necessarily going to be 'victims' of any tax plan. It is impossible to not have winners and losers with any fiscal policy. This is a non-story.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 05:29:31 PM »

Here's a sample:

"Trump is bad"
I'm looking to educate.

I extend to you the same advice I did to sr/dm--if you don't like my posts, move along.

Better yet, start your own thread on a topic that you find "credible." Otherwise, at least from your point of view, you're part of the problem.

Is this how you educate your students? Insults? Snapping at people who disagree/question you?

Spare us the bullcrap. You aren't trying to edicate. We're all educators here. We know what education looks like. It doesn't look like this.

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 10:55:30 PM »

Here's a sample:

"Trump is bad"
I'm looking to educate.

Is this how you educate your students? Insults? Snapping at people who disagree/question you?

Spare us the bullcrap. You aren't trying to edicate. We're all educators here. We know what education looks like. It doesn't look like this.
No bullcrap--that's your forte.

If education is talking someone to death then, yes, you're an educator.

Online Chester Jim

• Expert Waygook
  • Getter Done
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 11:20:55 AM »
What about at&t saying they would immediately invest a billion in the us economy and give 1000 dollars  to 200,000 employees as bonuses .     
The list goes on and on. 
Many companies are now able to pay 15 dollars and hour.

Very simple lower corporate tax rate from 35 to 21 .   Thatís an instant 10 plus percent growth for companies.
The government just destroys money and productivity.  Million dollar bathrooms in parks. 
Also he doubled the standard deduction for people making under 50 k .   From 6 to 12k
They increased the child tax credit a lot.

The truth is this is a very popular plan, and the democrats are just destroying their credibility by screaming that the sky is falling. 
Bonzai!

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 12:28:43 PM »
What about at&t saying they would immediately invest a billion in the us economy and give 1000 dollars  to 200,000 employees as bonuses .     
The list goes on and on. 

Very simple lower corporate tax rate from 35 to 21 .   Thatís an instant 10 plus percent growth for companies.
The government just destroys money and productivity.  Million dollar bathrooms in parks. 
Also he doubled the standard deduction for people making under 50 k .   From 6 to 12k

The truth is this is a very popular plan, and the democrats are just destroying their credibility by screaming that the sky is falling.
The list does not go on and on.

At&T and Comcast--don't forget AT&T just laid off 600 workers--both stand to profit big on the end of net neutrality and future mergers so this could be as much political as a response to tax reform.

The majority of corporations said they would use the money to pay down debt and buy back stock. New hiring and wage increases were far down the list.

The average rate for US corporations, due to all the tax looph0les, is 13%. The 35% rate is BS.

As for the plan's popularity:
Two polls published in recent days reinforced the idea that the American public generally disapproves of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) and doesn't think it would benefit their personal finances.

A USA Today/Suffolk University poll, released Sunday, showed that only 32% of people surveyed approved of the TCJA, while 48% disapproved.
    Additionally, the poll found that 53% of Americans didn't think the tax legislation would lower their tax bills, while the same percentage did not think it would substantially boost the US economy.
    Another poll, from Marist University, found that 52% of people surveyed believed the TCJA would harm their personal finances. Thirty percent of respondents said it would help them financially, and 8% said it would make no difference.

Americans are perhaps a little pessimistic on the possibility of a tax cut.

According to the Joint Committee on Taxation, 38.3% of Americans would see a tax increase or a change in their taxes of less than $100 in 2019. By 2023, the percentage who would see an increase or little change in their taxes would increase to 44%.

The Marist poll also found that 60% of those surveyed believed wealthier Americans would be the primary benefactors of the tax plan. Twenty-one percent of respondents said the middle class would come out the big winners.

The Marist and Suffolk surveys follow similar polling that showed the bill is the least popular tax-related bill since at least 1980.

Here's a rundown of recent polls on the tax bill:

December 10, USA Today: 32% approve, 48% disapprove
    December 7, CBS News: 35% approve, 53% disapprove
    December 5, Gallup: 29% of Americans approve, 56% disapprove
    December 5, Quinnipiac: 29% approve, 53% disapproved

Get your facts straight, jimbo.

Online Chester Jim

• Expert Waygook
  • Getter Done
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 02:35:32 PM »
The list goes on and on. 

At&T and Comcast--don't forget AT&T just laid off 600 workers--both stand to profit big on the end of net neutrality and future mergers so this could be as much political as a response to tax reform.

The majority of corporations said they would use the money to pay down debt and buy back stock. New hiring and wage increases were far down the list.

The average rate for US corporations, due to all the tax looph0les, is 13%. The 35% rate is BS.

Two polls published in recent days reinforced the idea that the American public generally disapproves of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) and doesn't think it would benefit their personal finances.

A USA Today/Suffolk University poll, released Sunday, showed that only 32% of people surveyed approved of the TCJA, while 48% disapproved.
    Additionally, the poll found that 53% of Americans didn't think the tax legislation would lower their tax bills, while the same percentage did not think it would substantially boost the US economy.
    Another poll, from Marist University, found that 52% of people surveyed believed the TCJA would harm their personal finances. Thirty percent of respondents said it would help them financially, and 8% said it would make no difference.

According to the Joint Committee on Taxation, 38.3% of Americans would see a tax increase or a change in their taxes of less than $100 in 2019. By 2023, the percentage who would see an increase or little change in their taxes would increase to 44%.

The Marist poll also found that 60% of those surveyed believed wealthier Americans would be the primary benefactors of the tax plan. Twenty-one percent of respondents said the middle class would come out the big winners.

The Marist and Suffolk surveys follow similar polling that showed the bill is the least popular tax-related bill since at least 1980.

You canít see past your nose.  It is a ďpopularĒ plan because it is designed to provide things that everybody likes .

It is unpopular in the fact that airheads believe the media, cnn msnbc, abc, cbs ,pbs nbc etc... they are succumbing to the constant drumbeat of leftists.     
But think Oj  Simpson, you may think you have won, but in the long run smart people understand that a murderer was let go and a large portion of the population said it was good.     

Why donít you read the tax bill and understand it. 
I know you want the government to confiscate the money and give it to lazy bureaucrats.   

Why should a corporation pay any corporate tax when every employee.ís income has already been taxed once. 
It never ends. .  I hear in Europe they tax cow flatulance. 
Bonzai!

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 02:44:55 PM »
The list goes on and on. 

You canít see past your nose.  It is a ďpopularĒ plan because it is designed to provide things that everybody likes .

It is unpopular in the fact that airheads believe the media, cnn msnbc, abc, cbs ,pbs nbc etc... they are succumbing to the constant drumbeat of leftists.     
But think Oj  Simpson, you may think you have won, but in the long run smart people understand that a murderer was let go and a large portion of the population said it was good.     

I know you want the government to confiscate the money and give it to lazy bureaucrats.   

Why should a corporation pay any corporate tax when every employee.ís income has already been taxed once. 
That's some real 1984 doublespeak.

You bring up O.J. Simpson; I wish they'd tax that sort of flatulence.

Online Chester Jim

• Expert Waygook
  • Getter Done
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 03:51:24 PM »
The list goes on and on. 

So a plan that doesnít tax essentially everyone who make less than 50,000 dollars a year ( most people ) isnít popular?   Itís Not doublespeak itís english.    I would spell it out for you again, but youíll just twist it like you are fooling some stupid third person, which shows a lot of condescension on your part. 

Aw heck Iíll try again. 
Here
Standard deduction goes  from 6 k to 12k.  That is good for a lot of people .  Understand this simple fact, donít just repeat what you learn from your hero Chris cuomo and Cornell west. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 03:59:15 PM by Chester Jim »
Bonzai!

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 09:37:11 PM »
The list goes on and on. 

So a plan that doesnít tax essentially everyone who make less than 50,000 dollars a year ( most people ) isnít popular?   Itís Not doublespeak itís english.    I would spell it out for you again, but youíll just twist it like you are fooling some stupid third person, which shows a lot of condescension on your part. 

Aw heck Iíll try again. 
Here
Standard deduction goes  from 6 k to 12k.  That is good for a lot of people .  Understand this simple fact, donít just repeat what you learn from your hero Chris cuomo and Cornell west.
You forgot to mention the other deductions you lose. And the 4 million people (13 million down the road) who are going to lose health insurance. And what happens when people don't have health care. They die, jimbo. They die.

The CBO found that everybody who makes less than $75,000 would be losing money under the Senate tax plan over the course of the next decade.

Don't just repeat what foxy news tells you.

Offline Rumbledy Hump

• Super Waygook
Re: Meet some victims of the RYAN tax plan
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2017, 10:24:35 PM »
GOOD STUFF

Slashed corporate tax rate - I think this is good. I mean, I've never filed taxes for a big corporation, so I don't don't know what their effective tax rate is. But let's assume this is good. #MAGA

Increased standard deduction - this will simplify tax prep for many people. It will also save most people some money And most importantly, it benefits me!

BAD STUFF

Increase in deficit - cutting corporate tax cut should be balanced with increase in income tax on plutocrats, IMO. It's called marginal utility. Look it up. Also, increasing the deficit post-recovery is a dumb-dumb move. This is what Bush did. He spent all our money on wars and tax cuts so when the housing market crashed in 2007 we had to borrow money for stimulus.

Trickle down philosophy has bad track record - look at Kansas, a state that slashed taxes thinking increase in productivity will result in increase in revenue. Did not happen, state ran out of money and many tea-partiers behind the plan have been pushed out of the government.

Capped state/local tax deduction - this is probably the stupidest thing in the bill. It's going to piss off a lot well to do Republicans in blue states. This is the same demographic who has abandoned Republicans in post-Trump elections.

STUFF THAT DOESN'T MATTER

Reduced tax rates - tax rates went down a token percent or so. Snore.

Tax cuts expire - Whatever. If Republicans are in control, then they'll extend. If Dems are in control, then they'll probably rejigger taxes anyway.

Also, not TRUMP's plan. RYAN's plan. CONGRESS' plan.
But how do I know what to lick and what not to lick?

Online Chester Jim

• Expert Waygook
  • Getter Done
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2017, 10:37:23 PM »
The list goes on and on. 

Aw heck Iíll try again. 
Here
You forgot to mention the other deductions you lose. And the 4 million people (13 million down the road) who are going to lose health insurance. And what happens when people don't have health care. They die, jimbo. They die.

The CBO found that everybody who makes less than $75,000 would be losing money under the Senate tax plan over the course of the next decade.

You mean the mortgage deductions that can no longer be deducted at the state and federal level.  Only one.
Take take coastal Cali elite and eat it. 

What other deductions?  donít just say ďwhat about the other deductionsĒ when you canít name them.

Iím not sure youíd need more than 12 k and 30 k for couples to deduct, but there still are 
others . 
Bonzai!

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2017, 11:01:19 PM »
The list goes on and on. 

Aw heck Iíll try again. 
Here

You mean the mortgage deductions that can no longer be deducted at the state and federal level.  Only one.
Take take coastal Cali elite and eat it. 

What other deductions?  donít just say ďwhat about the other deductionsĒ when you canít name them.

Iím not sure youíd need more than 12 k and 30 k for couples to deduct, but there still are 
others .
I dig the anger.

As for deductions, jimbo, you seem to be the expert here. But how about personal exemptions--did you miss that one?

Maybe you need a good night's rest at a Holiday Inn Express.

Offline CDW

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2017, 08:29:53 AM »

So Brian must not be part of the lucky 95%.

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/