July 16, 2018, 06:50:50 PM

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018

Author Topic: Temple food cooking class  (Read 1021 times)

Online Nokcha

• Veteran
Temple food cooking class
« on: December 16, 2017, 07:46:33 AM »
The Korean Temple Food Center, near exit 1 of Anguk Station, teaches temple food cooking several times during the week and offers an English class on most Saturdays. I've been to several and have really enjoyed the experience. I'm not vegetarian, nor am I buddhist, but I enjoy learning how to use and blend the sauces, spices, and foods that are available here in Korea. The Saturday classes begin at 10:30am and finish at 12:00, and cost 10,000. You eat what you prepare at the end of the lesson.

Here is a link to their website: www.koreatemplefood.com

Offline jesamla

• Waygookin
Re: Temple food cooking class
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 08:54:26 AM »
Thanks for sharing. This looks great!

Online Nokcha

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 10:24:42 AM »
One word of caution, there is still a considerable amount of Korean spoken. The lessons are translated, and the translators to their best to keep up with the monk, but I think a lot of information about the health benefits of the foods and maybe some of the spiritual aspects aren't really translated. My Korean is very limited, but my Korean friends tell me what the monk is saying and the translator is missing (or not able to keep up!)

I do enjoy the classes very much, and the price is definitely a good value!

Enjoy!

Online shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 11:28:33 AM »
Question - I signed up for a class (the next one in January), and at the time I started filling in my info, there were 21/24 spots taken (I was signing up 2 people, myself and a friend). After I clicked "예약", it says that 26/24 spots are taken now. Does that mean I'll be able to get into the class or not? Have you experienced this before?

Online ECopeland89

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 02:01:44 PM »
Hi guys!

I realise this link is from last month, but I thought I would try anyway!

Where on the website is the link to sign up for the food classes? I've looked several times but I can't see it! It's probably going to be glaringly obvious   ;D Thanks!

Online Nokcha

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 02:09:21 PM »
I actually just stop by the center to sign up; however, I have sent them an email directly. It's been my experience that the Saturday English language classes are seldom full.

Here is a link to their email. I would just send them an email to sign up. They were pretty good about getting back to me in a timely time....:)

http://eng.koreatemplefood.com/bbs/contactUsEn/write/

Online shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 09:06:36 AM »
So the "more than 20 people" signing up issue turned out to not be a problem - the issue was that they couldn't "count" my payment because I just put my first name in the form for "what name the money will be sent under," but the default for my bank is LASTNAME MIDDLE FIRST, and that confused them.

On the day that I went, though, it was pretty full up (although 2 or 3 people who had signed up didn't come), and I was the only foreigner (it was an "English Saturday", though). Everyone else was Korean. Apparently this is somewhat common in the winter.

The class was pretty good; it works well if you're good at paying attention while they demonstrate (you also get an English version of the recipe). I had a translator for the first part, then my boyfriend just helped me with communication within the cooking group (3-4 people).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 10:08:22 AM by shostager »

Online ECopeland89

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 10:06:29 AM »
Thank you so much guys!

I'm going to drop them an email now and get signed up  ;D ;D

Offline fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 10:42:17 AM »
 I don't eat soy or soy products. Can I take a cooking class that substitutes meat for soy. Since I don't eat soy I need to get my protein through meat.

Online Nokcha

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 11:05:22 AM »
I don't eat soy or soy products. Can I take a cooking class that substitutes meat for soy. Since I don't eat soy I need to get my protein through meat.

Not if you're going to take the temple food cooking classes. Buddhists are vegetarians, for the most part. Some are not. Unfortunately, I don't know of any other Korean cooking classes that are taught in English.

You could take a class and when you replicate the dish at home add your preferred source of protein.

:)