June 21, 2018, 04:40:17 PM

Author Topic: Online teaching doesn't look so great  (Read 2832 times)

Offline Thomas Mc

• Super Waygook
Online teaching doesn't look so great
« on: November 24, 2017, 11:20:03 AM »
https://youtu.be/FqsO1AK2OzE

I like the idea of it. The opportunity to live somewhere cheap and work from the comfort of your own living room. However I took a look at this video showing online classes and ( I don't know if this is just because it's teaching kids) and it just seems ineffective.

How can you get a kid excited about a reward from over a computer screen? It also seems cringe worthy at points.

Does anyone concur or maybe someone with experience can offer a different perspective?

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
Re: Online teaching doesn't look so great
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 09:05:16 AM »
Ugh that video was a little hard to watch. 

Some points of derision I have with this video. 

Props to her for keeping her eyes that big and open.  She was full of forced excitement I see.  That kind of nonsense does well in Asia I've noticed.  So good for her. 

Those names  Dorcas (Dorkcus)? Darry?  I'm guessing these kids are just giving themselves names that they think pass as English names.  I rather just learn their birth names than call them Pilly (Billy) and Elice (Alice). Well at least it's not Iron Man or Supermarket.   :rolleyes:

And yes it does look very ineffective.  Especially for lower learners.  You have to have some sort of translations going on to know what is what.  Sure it's easy to learn body parts and objects when you point to them but if you don't know how to say "how are you?" and "Did you eat lunch today" in Chinese (sorry for my assumption but I heard most of the clientele is from China.)  Then it's really just a lost cause.

For example, as some of you maybe be doing right now (if you are with GEPIK) you might be having phone teaching.  Now while it does seem a little ineffective; because of the fact that I speak a little bit of  Korean, I can translate when I have moments of dead silence from my students.  For example I have two low level students for my phone teaching class.  I will say to one of them "How was school today?  and of course like most Korean kids here they will say "Yes" or "No" because they don't understand the question and they just think saying yes will give them an easy out.  But if you say "오늘 학교 어땠니?"and then say "How was school today?" then you get progress from the student to say it was good, so so, or bad.  Therefore, when you ask the question again, they recall what that phrase means and produce a better answer then "yes, no," or dead silence. 

You know I've watched a few Korean movies and Bollywood movies without subtitles but without a little bit of understanding of Korean and without the Bollywood actors going back to English from time to time than I can say you are just basically hearing "blah blah blah blah blah" with no frame work or context, and thus you don't walk away knowing the full complexity of the subject.  I guess like this VIPKids and like watching a Bollywood movie with no subs, it's just for the visual stimulus of seeing the pretty saris or seeing the pretty white girl and not really getting a take away of what is going on. 

HOWEVER, I'm not knocking this as a line of work.  I have a friend who is currently touring throughout Asia and she is using this as her way to work remotely.  And you know what?! A pay check is a pay check. She puts on her smile, she points to her mouth when she wants kids to spit out what she says but by the end of the day she doesn't care if little Dorcas  :cheesy: :cheesy: can speak English.  As long as this is paying for a roof over her head and bread on her table, than who am I or anyone else to knock this hustle?  I will probably get into this too if I need to transition from Korea to America.  But at least with teaching in Korea and knowing a fair amount of the language, I can actually see the progress versus this "VIP KIDS" which looks like pure infotainment. 

And if those are her "advance" students then WOW.  I have 4th graders that know more than her most advance student.....Like I said I would like to do this job too, but I think I would just die a little everyday inside being as I don't know any Chinese and there is no way for me to bridge the gaps of communication with these students.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 11:49:28 AM by Piggydee »

Offline tomoakleaf

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 10:24:45 PM »
I confess that I also teach English online from little kids to adults.  Yes, when I'm on a long paid vacation I can do this job location free.  As long as I have high speed internet it's an amazing little job. 

Most of the teachers you see on youtube are actually well qualified to teach this as they are professionaly trained teachers back home. Although, I must confess for some students they really need first language to help them understand more.  They should be hiring bilungual or even Chinese teachers to help them at that age.  Sadly, the market prefers that a native speaker teaches the child.

I also help at the kindergaten and I ended up just recruiting a Chinese student to help me.

As long as there is a market for this in China or other countries then people will apply to be teachers.  Personally, I think it's ridiculous but I signed up anyway.  May as well earn the money if it's being given away so easily.

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 07:48:20 AM »
I confess that I also teach English online from little kids to adults.  Yes, when I'm on a long paid vacation I can do this job location free.  As long as I have high speed internet it's an amazing little job. 

Most of the teachers you see on youtube are actually well qualified to teach this as they are professionaly trained teachers back home. Although, I must confess for some students they really need first language to help them understand more.  They should be hiring bilungual or even Chinese teachers to help them at that age.  Sadly, the market prefers that a native speaker teaches the child.

I also help at the kindergaten and I ended up just recruiting a Chinese student to help me.

As long as there is a market for this in China or other countries then people will apply to be teachers.  Personally, I think it's ridiculous but I signed up anyway.  May as well earn the money if it's being given away so easily.

I'm kind of curious if anyone is doing this part time while still teaching in Korea/China.  I'm also curious about the retention rate of the students.   I don't see little Dorkus staying in this program for very long.  Plus, going back to her segment, I didn't like how the ESL teacher was giving her an answer instead of allowing the child to choose.  Ex. "How are you today Dorcas?"  Of course Dorcas don't answer and turns to her mom (even though the face is blurred I can see her body pivot towards her mom who is sitting next to her)  So then because there is this obvious delay in answering, the ESL teacher points to her mouth (which by the way my friend who also works for this same company will tell you that VIP Kids teaches you some TPR points such as cupping your ear and pointing to your mouth to get kids to produce answers if they are repeating everything you are saying or just not saying anything at all.)  So then the ESL teacher points to her mouth and say "I'M FINE,  I'M FIIIIIINE."  I don't think that's really effective.  If she had a poster or little flash cards with happy, sad, sleepy, hungry, angry, okay(fine) on them then the little girl can actually 1) truly express how she feels (which I know in Asian cultures if someone ask you how are you, you aren't REALLY suppose to tell them you are sick or tired but that you are "FINE") and 2) learn at least 6 new vocabulary words just with the how are you phrase alone.  Plus, the way that ESL teacher taught the word for reading by just shoving a book in the camera is not the way I would have done it.  I would have showed a picture of a person reading (WHICH SHE DID) and then asked Dorcas Okay Dorcas show me reading, show me reading, and I would have claps my hands together to make a fake book, opened my hands and acted out the motion of "reading."  For a certified teacher I expected a little more than what she did.  And that segment with Darry where he had to list all things that were yellow.  I wasn't able to hear him say anything as the ESL teacher counted with her fingers.  All I heard him say was "Dino" and say duck as the teacher held a yellow rubber duck on the screen.  Oh and the "Star reward" system, which seems to be just her waving a sailor moon toy in the screen.  SUCH FUN. :rolleyes:  But hey it beats buying candy or prizes  :cheesy: 

But like I said is anyone doing this now.  I think I have another friend who is doing this while still in Korea because he keeps posting recommendation links on his facebook wall.  However, I'm not sure if they offer part time schedules.  I can't be doing this from 9am to 5pm seeing as I have my own classes to deal with.  Plus, my other friend who I know for a fact is doing this and who is currently in Thailand will tell you that these kids, while you don't have to deal with them in person, will cry and be insubordinate just like kids here in Korea.  Sometimes they will log in and off or not comply with the lesson.  So there is that to deal with. 

But hey it looks like easy money and I encourage anyone to join it and share with us how it goes.  I however, wouldn't take this job very seriously either. 

Offline tomoakleaf

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 10:56:25 AM »
Part time teachers are welcome.  Actually, most teaching happens 6 - 9 China time and then on the weekend it's all day long.

Yes, there are pros and cons with this job just like your EPIK etc job.

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 11:07:25 AM »
Part time teachers are welcome.  Actually, most teaching happens 6 - 9 China time and then on the weekend it's all day long.

Yes, there are pros and cons with this job just like your EPIK etc job.

Is there any way for us to make our schedule.  I would like to do this only 2 weeks out of a month.  You know as some extra cash in between paychecks from public school.

Offline tomoakleaf

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 11:25:58 AM »
It's best to contact the school you want to apply for:

dadaabc is probably your best bet.

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 12:53:31 PM »
Thanks Tomoakleaf I saw a bunch of good reviews from glassdoor.com so I think I might look into dadaabc  :wink:

Offline tomoakleaf

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 01:34:31 PM »
Yes, we get paid $5 to post on glassdoor.

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 01:57:13 PM »
Yes, we get paid $5 to post on glassdoor.

LOL well that explains all the glowing reviews.  ;D

Offline tomoakleaf

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 07:06:14 PM »
There is a top teacher award going on at my online company.

Please vote for me:  https://www.dadaabc.com/apps/teacher/g/MVT/teacher_detail.html?id=786 :P

Why should you vote for me?

I've been teaching for about a decade now.  I started my career in Poland and I've loved it ever since. In fact, I've always gone the extra mile and helped my students as much as possible. These days, I'm proud to say that I've helped 10,000's students from kindergarten to adults.  I also teach for the important exams such as IELTS and TOEFL so it's important for me to keep up to date with the exams.

Of course, it's hard to write a post and to convince people about my diligence in regards to teaching.  However, let's just say for the last few years I've kept an open schedule of 8am to 00:00.  Don't get me wrong, on top of that I make sure I have time off and enjoy my life. I just find that students really get excited about learning more about the IELTS or TEOFL tests so they really don't like it if I take time off.

Anyway, I hope you can vote for me 5x a day for the next few days.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 01:07:23 PM by tomoakleaf »

Online Piggydee

• The Legend

Offline tomoakleaf

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 01:09:09 PM »
Thanks.I appreciate it.

By the way, I uploaded a video about the company a few weeks ago and to be honest I made it for a competition I was taking part in.  Quite a few people entered but I'm pleased to say that I and 4 others won a small gift of $35.  It's great!

Offline AWVM_HXE

• Waygookin
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 10:37:07 PM »
The woman in the video is one of the top VIPKID teachers.

Of course, it's all fake, but as someone who recently transitioned out of ESL and took a few months to find another job, it is a great source of income. Twice what English teachers make locally, and for a third of the hours.

Offline AWVM_HXE

• Waygookin
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 10:41:39 PM »
I should mention that VIPKID is not a good option if you cannot be similarly cringeworthy while on camera. Literally no one cares if the kids are improving or, in some cases, popping a squat on camera. Also, they keep releasing "Thanksgiving messages from your students!" that are fake in an attempt to emotionally manipulate us into staying in their MLM scheme.

Best names I have so far had:

Handsome
Barbie
Yoyo
Strawberry
Cinderella
A mom who very excitedly told me her English name was "Twinkle."

Head-scratchingly common are the names Jack, Tom, Harry, Lucy, Jerry, Terry, Emily, Angel, and Bob. I doubt most of the kids pick their own names. Usually the parents or sales rep picks them out.

Anyways, it is very good money for very easy work, and a fine little weekend job.

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 07:14:53 AM »
I should mention that VIPKID is not a good option if you cannot be similarly cringeworthy while on camera. Literally no one cares if the kids are improving or, in some cases, popping a squat on camera. Also, they keep releasing "Thanksgiving messages from your students!" that are fake in an attempt to emotionally manipulate us into staying in their MLM scheme.

Handsome
Barbie
Yoyo
Strawberry
Cinderella

Head-scratchingly common are the names Jack, Tom, Harry, Lucy, Jerry, Terry, Emily, Angel, and Bob. I doubt most of the kids pick their own names. Usually the parents or sales rep picks them out.

Anyways, it is very good money for very easy work, and a fine little weekend job.

Oh where have we seen these kind of tactics before  :rolleyes:  RAISE YOUR HAND IF YOU HAVE EVER WORKED AT A HAKWON  :cheesy:  Oh and that top teacher.  YEAH I agree that she is the top teacher.  But let's see what her merits are 1) beautiful white girl  check 2) Can fake and maintain enthusiasm  check 3) speak slowly and repeats words over and over ad nauseam  CHECK CHECK  if you can fulfill 2/3 of those 'requirements' then you are well on your way to being a star teacher.   :wink:

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 08:55:59 AM »

Handsome
Barbie
Yoyo
Strawberry
Cinderella

Oh where have we seen these kind of tactics before  :rolleyes:  RAISE YOUR HAND IF YOU HAVE EVER WORKED AT A HAKWON  :cheesy:  Oh and that top teacher.  YEAH I agree that she is the top teacher.  But let's see what her merits are 1) beautiful white girl  check 2) Can fake and maintain enthusiasm  check 3) speak slowly and repeats words over and over ad nauseam  CHECK CHECK  if you can fulfill 2/3 of those 'requirements' then you are well on your way to being a star teacher.   :wink:

That is basically all you need to be a star teacher of very little kids one to one - except for the handsome/pretty part, which is for the parents. That's probably why most people, except for maybe those a bit lacking in the top story,  don't want to do it.

Offline koreakorea

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 09:05:24 AM »
Doesn't it make you feel uneasy?

It isn't teaching.  I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing parents are throwing their money away for this absolute scam.

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 09:09:02 AM »

It isn't teaching.  I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing parents are throwing their money away for this absolute scam.

It's easy money and you get to work remotely from any part of the world as long as you have a strong wifi/internet connection.  I'm not knocking it.  I may start doing it next year as a way to earn some extra cash on the side.

Offline AWVM_HXE

• Waygookin
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 06:28:28 PM »

Uneasy? No. I am not forcing or coercing anyone. I did not hold a gun to anyone's head.

I and probably more parents than you'd expect are well aware that it's not real teaching, but after many years in China, I understand why VIPKID is appealing. It's relatively affordable and the children can practice English at times that are very convenient. I've taught lessons to kids in the car on their way from one activity to the other! Students get one-on-one time with a native speaker and that may be rare or impossible where they live, as many of them are in rural areas. China is moving away from importing teachers, too, so this is a pretty good compromise.

I find you reaction a bit insulting, to be perfectly honest. I am by no means trying to scam anyone. Pay money for these English lessons if you like them, don't pay if you don't like them. I'd quit if my full-time job was more stable, but I'm currently just a maternity sub and I may not have a full-time job by the end of the year, and I don't like being out of work.