February 17, 2019, 04:43:23 PM

Author Topic: Ramsey under fire for Cass endorsement  (Read 5021 times)

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
Re: Ramsey under fire for Cass endorsement
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 08:52:39 AM »
Also, I know that the most consumed alcoholic drink in the world is soju which can be made from rice, wheat, or barley so why dont that advertise that this way? haha
Beer is the most consumed alcoholic drink in the world by far.
I think what you mean is that it's the most consumed spirit/liquor.  :smiley:

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 08:56:33 AM by kyndo »

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 08:56:37 AM »

One of my Korean adult students actually raised this topic in a class this week and they were all taking the piss out of Ramsay's endorsement, so I'm not sure it'll carry that much weight.

Yeah, maybe it won't work. Only time will tell. It's a gamble. But if it works it'll be a huge payday. Much bigger than just this Cass endorsement.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2017, 09:00:03 AM »
He was pretty well known here already. Whenever 'chef' comes up in a classroom most people seemed to know him. His shows are shown on some of the cable channels. My wife asked me a few years ago now "Who is better Jamie Oliver or Ramsey?" as there was a debate on some big Korean news portal site about it with a vote going on. That must have been like 2014.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline 미국인병

• Veteran
  • Prince of the PC방
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2017, 09:03:12 AM »
I'd do it. Love to see my mug on cardboard cutouts smiling like a dick holding a can of poorly brewed beer. Pretending to be refreshed on the telly ads.

Hell yeah!

:-* Are you the guy from the Cass ad?

:afro: That's right, baby.

To be honest, 100% of those women on the Cass cutout adds are some fire-tier babes. Especially that one in the fishnets.
Of course, shout-out to the first Korean beer advert I ever saw while trying Korean food with my (Korean) friend's family for the first time which put the pesky thought in my head, "Huh. Korean girls are... rather... pretty, aren't they?"

falls deeper into the abyss

Offline bigfishlittlefish

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2017, 09:05:54 AM »
Promote product get money ✔
Get many people foreign and native talking about you ✔
Have face plastered all over new market ✔
Get free expenses paid trip to new market with constant advertising ✔

I wouldn't be surprised to hear new Gordon Ramsay restaurant opening in Seoul.  The man (as with all celebrity chefs) is a sell out, if he wasn't then he would be very content cooking in his restaurant, making the food that he loves.  However he is now Gordon the brand, which he is using to make money and possibly crack a new market, fair play to him.

Also you are all forgetting a major factor, the man is Scottish, he would probably have sold his soul to Cass for a can of iron bru and half hour in a room salon.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2017, 09:08:37 AM »
I've always wondered, for a Scot why does he have no Scottish whatsoever.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2017, 09:18:06 AM »
Also you are all forgetting a major factor, the man is Scottish, he would probably have sold his soul to Cass for a can of iron bru and half hour in a room salon.

Being Scottish maybe he actually does think Cass is good.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2017, 09:37:46 AM »
he probably thought he could earn some easy money, and that his endorsement wouldn't be well-known outside korea, and therefore his reputation wouldn't be damaged. you see loads of celebrities advertising for chinese/etc brands that they would never do in the US/UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_celebrity_advertising

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2017, 09:43:34 AM »
he probably thought he could earn some easy money, and that his endorsement wouldn't be well-known outside korea, and therefore his reputation wouldn't be damaged. you see loads of celebrities advertising for chinese/etc brands that they would never do in the US/UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_celebrity_advertising

And let's not forget his countryman, staunch Scottish independence supporter and Japanese whisky endorser.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2017, 10:17:36 AM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

To be honest, 100% of those women on the Cass cutout adds are some fire-tier babes. Especially that one in the fishnets.

Are you referring to the lovely (and wholly un-Scottish) lass in this 다방 real estate ad?

Cause if so her name's Hyeri, and well, she's mine.
So, um, kindly back off, bruh.   :police:

Offline 미국인병

• Veteran
  • Prince of the PC방
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2017, 10:31:28 AM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Are you referring to the lovely (and wholly un-Scottish) lass in this 다방 real estate ad?

Cause if so her name's Hyeri, and well, she's mine.
So, um, kindly back off, bruh.   :police:

Lord have mercy.
I didn't recognize her without her short-hair Girl's Day "cute" vibe.

Regrettably, I have failed in my mission... But perhaps you can keep the torch lit? There is an old saying in my family...  KPOP idol + pseudo-edgy-punk style = 미국인병 drinks exclusively pissy beer from now on while also downloading real estate apps.

To be fair, the cut-out ad of her's I walk past every day is right next to a Cass one, and the style is similar. Must be why I combined the two in my head. I probably should've been paying more attention to what she was advertising, but uhh, well...

I wasn't.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 10:35:38 AM by 미국인병 »

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2017, 10:35:11 AM »
It'll be about as effective as Korean companies previous attempts at breaking into the Western market:

Samsung, Kia, Hyundai, Kumho, Hankook, Nexen, LG?

Korean food companies haven't succeeded, however Korean food has certainly made its way into western foodie circles.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2017, 10:39:05 AM »

He’s as much Scottish as the Royal Family is “English”.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2017, 10:47:25 AM »
It'll be about as effective as Korean companies previous attempts at breaking into the Western market:

Samsung, Kia, Hyundai, Kumho, Hankook, Nexen, LG?

Korean food companies haven't succeeded, however Korean food has certainly made its way into western foodie circles.

They broke into western markets becuase of improved quality and competitive prices. Hyundai and Kia were considered worse than a joke through the 1980s and most of the 1990s. Then they started making reliable, well designed cars that were good value for money (aka the Japanese model, which they are starting to do better than the Japanese). Same goes for Samsung and LG.

Their success hasn't come through the use of celebrity endorsements and cringeworthy ads using K-pop boy bands with bowl cuts and too much makeup on.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 10:50:04 AM by zola »
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline Epistemology

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Philosopher extraordinaire
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2017, 10:50:52 AM »
I'm not a drinker, but I think it's safe to say his endorsement won't change a thing.

Case and Hite would still be the drink of choice in Korea for a million reasons other than Gordon Ramsey.
I've never seen a can of Case or Hite outside Asia and judging by what most of you are saying, the off chance it does make it's
way to the West, it'll be spat out. For the most part Westerner's aren't really affected by celebrity endorsements anymore, at least in comparison to Asia.

Korean ads...making delicious food look as unappetizing as possible.

Ramsay would probably say that bowl of Makoli looks like a bowl of semen and dismiss it out of hand. Unless he was getting paid

The hell? Why did they make these adverts so dry? I get they were probably trying to play up the "eastern-ness" of their food and drink what with the traditional clothes and whatnot, but by the blood of the virgin Mary the colorscheme and text font look suitable for a mental ward whose patients will involuntarily shit themselves if they view anything remotely exciting.

You should see the bulgogi one they did. a plate of gray meat. if you replaced the Korean celebrity hanging over it with a chihuahua, I swear it would not have looked out of place as a petfood advertisement.
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2017, 10:54:44 AM »
Anyone who says they wouldn't have their faced slapped on a Cass poster for $10K is full of it. Yeah, maybe 400 bucks wouldn't get you out of your seat if you were sitting on a bonus and had plans to take the wife and kids to the beach that weekend anyways, but let's talk at least at the beginnings of real money. I mean, $1 million can keep a children's hospital open or something like that. Even at our end, the wife would probably talk about how $10k can pay for a semester or two at college, or let your daughter attend a few years of nice violin camp, or clothes, books, food, and whatnot for the kids for a year, etc.

Incidentally, Baek Jong Won's face is everywhere and he's overexposed, but I do have to defend one thing the guy does- He doesn't overprice his crap. All of his joints- Paik's Coffee, Paik's Beer, SaeMaEulShikDang, etc., they're all reasonably priced, even on the cheap and basic side of things (He sells his Americano for W1,500) and doesn't try to snob, gouge, and bilk his customers. He does seem to be making a genuine effort to provide products that everyone can enjoy, not just those with disposable money to burn. A lot of people would be tempted to attach their bug to overpriced crap charging 400% markup. 

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2017, 10:56:05 AM »
I'm not a drinker, but I think it's safe to say his endorsement won't change a thing.

Case and Hite would still be the drink of choice in Korea for a million reasons other than Gordon Ramsey.
I've never seen a can of Case or Hite outside Asia and judging by what most of you are saying, the off chance it does make it's
way to the West, it'll be spat out. For the most part Westerner's aren't really affected by celebrity endorsements anymore, at least in comparison to Asia.

Korean ads...making delicious food look as unappetizing as possible.

Ramsay would probably say that bowl of Makoli looks like a bowl of semen and dismiss it out of hand. Unless he was getting paid

The hell? Why did they make these adverts so dry? I get they were probably trying to play up the "eastern-ness" of their food and drink what with the traditional clothes and whatnot, but by the blood of the virgin Mary the colorscheme and text font look suitable for a mental ward whose patients will involuntarily shit themselves if they view anything remotely exciting.

You should see the bulgogi one they did. a plate of gray meat. if you replaced the Korean celebrity hanging over it with a chihuahua, I swear it would not have looked out of place as a petfood advertisement.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2017, 10:58:26 AM »
They broke into western markets becuase of improved quality and competitive prices. Hyundai and Kia were considered worse than a joke through the 1980s and most of the 1990s. Then they started making reliable, well designed cars that were good value for money (aka the Japanese model, which they are starting to do better than the Japanese). Same goes for Samsung and LG.

Their success hasn't come through the use of celebrity endorsements and cringeworthy ads using K-pop boy bands with bowl cuts and too much makeup on.

Beer advertising is different from automobile/electronics advertising and is obviously going to involve different strategies.

It's a lot different when something costs $25k and involves a serious investment or even $1k and a 2 year contract vs. a $3-$20 impulse buy at your local restaurant.

That being said, those ads are atrocious. The color palette is all wrong. Cross-cultural advertising can be tricky.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2017, 10:59:19 AM »
Anyone who says they wouldn't have their faced slapped on a Cass poster for $10K is full of it. Yeah, maybe 400 bucks wouldn't get you out of your seat if you were sitting on a bonus and had plans to take the wife and kids to the beach that weekend anyways, but let's talk at least at the beginnings of real money. I mean, $1 million can keep a children's hospital open or something like that. Even at our end, the wife would probably talk about how $10k can pay for a semester or two at college, or let your daughter attend a few years of nice violin camp, or clothes, books, food, and whatnot for the kids for a year, etc.

It used to be a class thing, don't know if it still is. Michael Caine and Sean Connery both from humble beginnings, had a reputation for doing anything for money. Ramsay is from a working class background too and left home when he was 16.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2017, 11:06:17 AM »
The problem with Ramsey doing it, isn't because it's a celebrity endorsing Cass. The problem is that he is a chef and thus it clashes with his presentation and image.

Like, if Conan O'Brien or Hines Ward or Emma Stone endorsed Cass, who gives a shit? It'd just be some ad featuring them out having fun and drinking Cass. That emphasizes the experience of drinking. Ramsey on the other hand is emphasizing the taste qualities.